Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Strategic Tea posted:

We've had one coup, yes. What about second coup?

Putschies?

Afternoon Z??

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Kith posted:

i wouldn't hold your breath

anyway i did the needful

:byetankie:

:byetankie::hf::byetankie:

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/kirlant/status/1683773683007991808

What level of 5D chess do you call this? Looks like perfect conditions to trigger a revolt at any time if you ask me

If I had to guess: it's like his Press Conferences. Bringing everyone to the party adds confusion and breeds infighting. It's also dilutes down the size the force can be. So instead of having say, 2 PMCs with 50,000 troops each, it's 20 with 5000 each. It'll gently caress up command and control even more than it already is but, it'll make way harder to organize a march on Moscow (even an aborted one).

Edit: Also, it'll help appease whatever oligarchical forces are strongest in each region: "Ok, I get it, you're feeling shaky. How's about a publicly funded private military? You just have to let me use it every now and then." Even the ones who know it's potentially an epically raw deal will take the opportunity to hire a personal, heavily-armed, bodyguard force on the country's dime.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 25, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kith posted:

i wouldn't hold your breath

anyway i did the needful

zone posted:

What level of 5D chess do you call this? Looks like perfect conditions to trigger a revolt at any time if you ask me
Russia is winning so hard it's reverting to feudalism

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zone posted:

Calling those private military companies is wrong since they are going to be armed by Rosguard and as state enterprises, so just a fancy name for regional militia and outgrowth of regional "volunteer batallions" that have been arranged during mobilization to keep governors involved.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

:byetankie::ussr:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pigma_Micron posted:

If I had to guess: it's like his Press Conferences. Bringing everyone to the party adds confusion and breeds infighting. It's also dilutes down the size the force can be. So instead of having say, 2 PMCs with 50,000 troops each, it's 20 with 5000 each. It'll gently caress up command and control even more than it already is but, it'll make way harder to organize a march on Moscow (even an aborted one).

Edit: Also, it'll help appease whatever oligarchical forces are strongest in each region: "Ok, I get it, you're feeling shaky. How's about a publicly funded private military? You just have to let me use it every now and then." Even the ones who know it's potentially an epically raw deal will take the opportunity to hire a personal, heavily-armed, bodyguard force on the country's dime.

To be fair, they didn't need that much men to organize a march on Moscow to begin with. Like 20,000-25,000 people were there in the Wagner march. What really made the difference was the heavy equipment at their disposal that let them shoot down all those planes and choppers. So assuming such conditions can be somehow repeated (seizing enough heavy equipment and air defense) it's still possible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Strategic Tea posted:

We've had one coup, yes. What about second coup?

Putschies?

Afternoon Z??

Sad, sad lol.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

To be fair, they didn't need that much men to organize a march on Moscow to begin with. Like 20,000-25,000 people were there in the Wagner march. What really made the difference was the heavy equipment at their disposal that let them shoot down all those planes and choppers. So assuming such conditions can be somehow repeated (seizing enough heavy equipment and air defense) it's still possible.

It would have to be another Frontline defection or the rosgvardia turning sides at this point.

Like Russia just doesn't have the loving equipment to spare. The border guards that faced off against the RFP had like three BMPs and a BTR.

Burns
May 10, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Calling those private military companies is wrong since they are going to be armed by Rosguard and as state enterprises, so just a fancy name for regional militia and outgrowth of regional "volunteer batallions" that have been arranged during mobilization to keep governors involved.

Is this because the armed forces have lost all prestige and this is just a faceswap because being in a PMC is considered cooler in Russia?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol lmao this is a mere fraction of one year of US defense spending and Russia is molecularly disintegrating in an undignified manner

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Burns posted:

Is this because the armed forces have lost all prestige and this is just a faceswap because being in a PMC is considered cooler in Russia?

Yeah, Prigozhin went big on pr for his boys because of post-Blackwater tacticool media image and now the state catches up believing that calling a bunch of people unfit for military and mallcops "military company" gonna turn them into FOXHOUND

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

zone posted:

I don't think the full Wagner strength of 20-25k was marching on Moscow, the numbers I heard for were more like 1-2k. But a bunch of Wagner troops certainly stayed behind to secure Rostov on Don, not sure how many there.

The impression I had was that most of Wagner were chilling in their barracks somewhere in/near Ukraine during the coup march. But are any of these numbers known with any exactness? I mean how many Wagnerites were in which places doing what

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:byetankie: hehehehhehe

zone
Dec 6, 2016

jaete posted:

I don't think the full Wagner strength of 20-25k was marching on Moscow, the numbers I heard for were more like 1-2k. But a bunch of Wagner troops certainly stayed behind to secure Rostov on Don, not sure how many there.

The impression I had was that most of Wagner were chilling in their barracks somewhere in/near Ukraine during the coup march. But are any of these numbers known with any exactness? I mean how many Wagnerites were in which places doing what

British Intelligence, afaik, came up with a lower number of 8-10,000 rebels involved. Pig Boss claimed he had 25,000 at his disposal plus the equipment he started with and captured later at Rostov. Milbloggers said it was only around 4-5,000.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

HonorableTB posted:

Lol lmao this is a mere fraction of one year of US defense spending and Russia is molecularly disintegrating in an undignified manner

I never thought I'd be proud of the US MIC but I guess when all that expenditure is for a just cause it makes it a little easier to justify.

Seems like it's better to have too much military rather than not enough. But maybe we could just let all the states start their own PMCs instead lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

I never thought I'd be proud of the US MIC but I guess when all that expenditure is for a just cause it makes it a little easier to justify.

Seems like it's better to have too much military rather than not enough. But maybe we could just let all the states start their own PMCs instead lmao

Meal Team Six PMC reporting for duty from somewhere in the swamp of Florida

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

gonna get it out of my system

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Dwesa posted:

Russia is winning so hard it's reverting to feudalism

Shogun Shoigu

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fatherboxx posted:

vassal fiefs. peeps with fiefs, if you will

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

This is just splitting up potential threats to Putin by making them all weak and vulnerable and too busy worrying about the guy next to them to work with them to overthrow the big dick. Sure it'll make everything worse and lead to instability in general but if it secures Putin's position it's working as intended.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

zone posted:

It's not mobilization if every federal subject creates their own PMC that is then moved under MOD control and shipped to a special operation.

naem
May 29, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

This is just splitting up potential threats to Putin by making them all weak and vulnerable and too busy worrying about the guy next to them to work with them to overthrow the big dick. Sure it'll make everything worse and lead to instability in general but if it secures Putin's position it's working as intended.

Putin has less than a decade of being an alive person possible like, biologically, not counting any slippery windows

what happens post Putin?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

It's not mobilization if every federal subject creates their own PMC that is then moved under MOD control and shipped to a special operation.

if it isn’t conscripted from the sparkling region of KZZRRMERZZZKKKISTAN it’s just sparkling mobilization

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1683889069611266069#m
New aid package dropped. Lots more of the same, but 32 Strykers got thrown in with this one

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

naem posted:

Putin has less than a decade of being an alive person possible like, biologically, not counting any slippery windows

what happens post Putin?

Well that's when it gets fun in the sense that everything will go to complete poo poo unless he has a groomed successor that the other power brokers will also support assuming Putin gives a poo poo about anything post death

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Is the US also sending stuff like MREs and field uniforms and boots? You know, the non-explodey stuff that is still very useful to the troops in the field.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1683868781372747778?s=20

even before the war you had to have a death wish to fly Aeroflot, if you do so now it's just a very expensive way to unalive yourself

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CannonFodder posted:

Is the US also sending stuff like MREs and field uniforms and boots? You know, the non-explodey stuff that is still very useful to the troops in the field.

They also send a lot of that in the aid packages as well. It's just that they don't specifically mention them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Well that's when it gets fun in the sense that everything will go to complete poo poo unless he has a groomed successor that the other power brokers will also support assuming Putin gives a poo poo about anything post death

He tried to groom Medvedev into one, but Dmitry failed his internship by agreeing with the EU/NATO on Libyan situation which caused Gaddafi to get what he deserved.

Since then there hasn't been any heir apparent, at least from outsider's perspective.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

naem posted:

what happens post Putin?
this is, by definition, not putin's problem so i think it very likely that it will just not be addressed

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Coolguye posted:

this is, by definition, not putin's problem so i think it very likely that it will just not be addressed

Yeah it's simpler to disappear those who raise the issue.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Putin takes the view of "apres moi, le deluge" in that he straight doesn't give a poo poo what happens after he dies. If he cares about the legacy of anything it would've been his own presidential legacy but lmao, lol at that now

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Putin takes the view of "apres moi, le deluge" in that he straight doesn't give a poo poo what happens after he dies. If he cares about the legacy of anything it would've been his own presidential legacy but lmao, lol at that now

I think he did care about his legacy, but instead of presidental stuff he was going for the few degrees more ambitious "emperor and saint" -type stuff, Napoleon-style.

But he massively cocked it up by starting to believe his own propaganda and now he will be known in the history books as the bell-end who caused the third collapse of the Russian empire only some thirty years after the last one.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I think Putin is counting on some generous revisionist historian to craft his legacy which means anything he does was the best decision anyone could have made so why stop loving up now?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-tank-armata-t-14-1814899

Russia withdraws "game changing" T-14 Armata tanks after brief frontline run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Armata was so successful the Russians had to withdraw it for humanitarian reasons because they felt so bad for the Ukrainians on the receiving end.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So how embarrassing was their first performance then :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019