Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Gatts posted:

Don’t the Jets have Breece Hall? Did he get hurt? I assume Dalvin isn’t…Cooked lol

Well now Im not sure because the same exact report that said Miami, New England and the Jets all gave him offers in the 5/mm a year range... has been debunked

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/25/dalvin-cook-denies-dolphins-offered-contract/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The RB market is just poo poo, I doubt Barkley would even make 10.1MM a year in free agency. Teams are learning that RB second contracts never really work out.

i mean, he effectively already did-- if the giants thought they could pay him less for a 1yr deal they wouldn't have tagged him in the first place barring risk tolerance and roster priorities

if these tagged deals are the clear best option available to an RB coming off their rookie contract, why has there been consistent frustration from players in that spot for so long? i don't think it's just a matter of players not understanding their value in 2023 and negotiating irrationally

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mcmagic posted:

The RB market is just poo poo, I doubt Barkley would even make 10.1MM a year in free agency.

this doesn't make any sense at all

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's an existential problem for NFLPA that a position whose labor impacts the outcome of games so much is completely devalued. I don't know why that's confusing to people. Their union is loving worthless too. That's the problem with RBs not getting paid.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

It's an existential problem for NFLPA that a position whose labor impacts the outcome of games so much is completely devalued. I don't know why that's confusing to people. Their union is loving worthless too. That's the problem with RBs not getting paid.

bingo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The NFLPA is inherently always going to be useless when the majority of members only have three year careers. There's no real capability for long term planning or negotiating.

But it also doesn't help when an RB seems to have had his contract negotiated by Donald Trump.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feels like a sick joke

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1683876914862391297

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
It's so awesome that he's still constantly injured and yet managed to make several critical plays to deny the Eagles a Super Bowl. Giants legend

iPhone Money
Nov 4, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

There are 5-10 rookies every season who can perform comparably to most vet rbs.

The avg lifespan for an rb is what?

Can't put resources into a replaceable, short lived position.

Rbs and off the ball LBs are victims of roi and supply and demand.

Make it so you can't franchise rbs. Market should adjust for 4th year guys.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

indigi posted:

this doesn't make any sense at all

Have you seen the RB contracts that have been given out this offseason? Miles Sanders got 4x25 and that is by far the largest deal.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The largest WR contract handed out this offseason was Hopkins for 1 year $13m

Because the good ones weren't on the market, just like RB's.

If Josh Jacobs was just available as a FA this offseason, you really don't think a team would offer him say, 2 years $30m? That's less then Hunter Renfrow money.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 25, 2023

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hopkins got robbed tbh, hes a top 5 wr lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Diqnol posted:

just had a percy harvin flashback for some reason

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sick

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diqnol posted:

Is he really better than Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Devante Adams, Cooper Kupp, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, and Stefon Diggs?

edit: If I were making a roster I'd easily take all of those guys plus Waddle, DeVonta, DK Metcalf, Lamb, Amon-Ra, Tee Higgins, and Garrett Wilson ahead of him, plus maybe a few others.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 25, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diqnol posted:

I don't even think he's top 15 anymore.

Nov 6, 2002

Top 5 hands maybe.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

iPhone Money posted:

There are 5-10 rookies every season who can perform comparably to most vet rbs.

The avg lifespan for an rb is what?

Can't put resources into a replaceable, short lived position.

Rbs and off the ball LBs are victims of roi and supply and demand.

Make it so you can't franchise rbs. Market should adjust for 4th year guys.

This is very smart and you're such a genius, now go tell a group of professional athletes they're replaceable and unworthy of second contracts lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope the rumors of it being a meniscus are true, seems like the best case scenario

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's back, folks

https://defector.com/why-your-team-sucks-2023-chicago-bears

quote:

After the intervention of my best friends and family, I'm divorcing my wife, whom I've been with for about nine years. I wouldn’t say anything overly dramatic happened, and I'll spare the petty details, But the long story short is I hadn't been happy in years, and I don't think either one of us was getting anything out of the relationship anymore. Truth be told, I think we both stuck around for so long because we started dating when we were young, and our lives became too intertwined. It was more habit than anything else.

We're still a long way from this being over, but in the few months since we separated, there are things that I absolutely miss: stability (I've been crashing with friends until I find my own apartment), the routine, our shared friends. However, I can fully say I don't miss her. I don't mean this in a pedantic way, but I can say I'm already happier in a meaningful way without my ex. I wish her nothing but the best, but I don't have to build my life around her anymore, and it's freeing.

Will I take this as a sign to cut out other things in my life that don't provide joy simply because I've been invested for many years? Will I use the sunk cost fallacy, move on, and actually enjoy a Sunday? I will not. Go Bears. Justin Fields will be the MVP this year. gently caress Ryan Pace from now until the end of time.

Nov 6, 2002

wyts ran outta steam a long time ago

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

wyts ran outta steam a long time ago

Nah it’s always been hit or miss. It’s hard to consecutively crank out 32 of these and have every one be a banger, but there are always a handful of very funny ones each year. The fan letters have gotten a little tryhard though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I forget if I read this here or not, but i really like the solution of combining WR/RB/TE into one tag group the way they do with OL. interior line contracts have been steadily rising proportionately to tackles and it's because teams don't want to franchise a guard or center since it'd cost so much comparatively. so IOL all get to hit free agency if their teams don't want to lock them up. I think after a year or two it'd have the same effect on RB salaries

mcmagic posted:

Have you seen the RB contracts that have been given out this offseason? Miles Sanders got 4x25 and that is by far the largest deal.

Miles Sanders is the definition of "pretty good," you can't really compare him to a franchise RB like Saquon. I wouldn't even put him in the same tier as Ekeler tbh. I have problems with EPA as a stat, but even so, Sanders was the third highest EPA ball carrier on the Eagles. Saquon:Jones::Hurts:Sanders

if Saquon wasn't going to get 10.1 in FA then the Giants would have offered him 30/3 and avoided any problems, but they couldn't

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

The largest WR contract handed out this offseason was Hopkins for 1 year $13m

Because the good ones weren't on the market, just like RB's.

If Josh Jacobs was just available as a FA this offseason, you really don't think a team would offer him say, 2 years $30m? That's less then Hunter Renfrow money.

How soon we forget OBJ getting plucked from the couch for $15 Million (up to $18 with incentives.)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How soon we forget OBJ getting plucked from the couch for $15 Million (up to $18 with incentives.)

.... gently caress

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Forrest on Fire posted:

The problem is the union is, as a majority, not RBs. Tough to get a whole bunch of non-RBs to agree to pay RBs more at their expense...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

tbf OBJ's contract was partly a negotiation tactic with Lamar

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It was a play to help reel in Lamar and a reflection of how desperate the Ravens were to improve their receiving corp. Still an absurd overpay for a WR that would be drat lucky to hit 800 yards this year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Gatts posted:

Don’t the Jets have Breece Hall? Did he get hurt? I assume Dalvin isn’t…Cooked lol
He owns but he also tore his ACL last October so you never know if he's going to be held back heading into the season. Dalvin Cook would make for a good insurance policy and keep them both fresh.

Jets will probably get outbid by Miami though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Forrest on Fire posted:

This is very smart and you're such a genius, now go tell a group of professional athletes they're replaceable and unworthy of second contracts lol

I don't think anybody is saying it's a good or just outcome, but what's the answer for buoying RB salaries other than eliminating the salary cap or eliminating the rookie pay scale? (Not that either of those would be bad things, but I doubt either outcome is realistically on the table)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

I don't think anybody is saying it's a good or just outcome, but what's the answer for buoying RB salaries other than eliminating the salary cap or eliminating the rookie pay scale? (Not that either of those would be bad things, but I doubt either outcome is realistically on the table)

Combining RB + TE + WR into 1 cap number like OL means they don't get tagged anymore effectively, and would let Josh Jacobs / Saquon set the market.

Which, like with guards, causes their market to rise a bit at the top end, and gives a bunch of room for the 2nd - 3rd tier RB's to slot in under them.

It doesn't do much of anything for a 28+ year old RB's but they're cooked regardless, ain't nothing fixing that. Best you can do is let them have a real free agency when they're 25 and get a shot at a real 2nd payday.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kalli posted:

Combining RB + TE + WR into 1 cap number like OL means they don't get tagged anymore effectively, and would let Josh Jacobs / Saquon set the market.

Which, like with guards, causes their market to rise a bit at the top end, and gives a bunch of room for the 2nd - 3rd tier RB's to slot in under them.

It doesn't do much of anything for a 28+ year old RB's but they're cooked regardless, ain't nothing fixing that. Best you can do is let them have a real free agency when they're 25 and get a shot at a real 2nd payday.

Seems like a reasonable idea. I guess it effectively just means RBs are never franchise tagged, but like you say it lets them hit free agency when there's maybe still at least a little meat left on the bone.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

RB free agent contracts aren't high because they die in their mid-upper 20's which you can hold onto them through a rookie contract + 2 franchise tags if needed. If you make it so they effectively can't be franchised, then you'll see RB's get your typical extensions after year 3 to lock them up until their late 20's and then they're toast, and in the process the best ones would start seeing contracts approaching mid-2nd tier WR contracts instead of 3rd-4th tier ones like they're reduced to now.

Teams do value RB's, two just got drafted highly, a hella expensive one was traded for roughly the value of a 1st last year and 3 were franchised this offseason. Teams value young, productive running backs.

It's just the rest of the FA market for RB's is trash because the good ones are dead by the time they hit FA.

If you draft a back, play him for three or four years then decline the 5th year and cut him who is going to be lining up to give him a 3+ year contract for real money

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
maybe rbs should do what bronco nagurski did and also play a higher paying position like lb in addition so their contracts would be on a better position pay scale

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looks like Trey Lance opens camp as QB3.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1683902179525152768

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hope he bounces back, Brock Purdy was a fun story last year and it's funny that Mr. Irrelevant may already be the best 49ers QB in the Shanahan era just from his half a season of play.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Maybe Cook wont be going to the Dolphins.
https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1683874148404039680

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

If you draft a back, play him for three or four years then decline the 5th year and cut him who is going to be lining up to give him a 3+ year contract for real money

I mean what would Josh Jacobs be worth on the open market right now? That's basically what we're looking at.

Dude put up 1653 / 12 at a 4.9 average in year 4. I'd say it makes sense to throw a ~3 year contract at him with the guarantees in the first two years at say, probably above Diontae Johnson or Hunter Renfrow money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

McCaffery, Kamara, Jones, Chubb and Henry are all on multi year contracts with AAV of more than the franchise tag. If those guys hit free agency they’d likely have gotten even more. As is the threat of the franchise tag pushes them into taking worse deals than they might get in FA.

We know teams will pay for top tier RBs because they already do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TexansCap/status/1683891735502389266?s=20

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 25, 2023