Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I used NoScript from almost the day it came out and loved it.

But uBlock is better in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I like Firefox's picture-in-picture and its features, but my (old) laptop seems to hate it and has caused graphical glitches and a thermal shutdown.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Probably going to be my last post on this youtube breakage issue, but credit where credit is due: both NoScript and uBlock were equally and simultaneously breaking Youtube. When I got to work again and started up my routine, I remembered to disable NoScript entirely before loading up a youtube video, and was surprised seeing uBlock alone crashing the youtube player. But I've been looking into how to use uBlock's advanced user settings, and got it to play nice with youtube at last. I think perhaps that some of my strange youtube problems maybe caused by hardware issues since firefox normally doesn't give a crap when it's the only program running, and only starts making GBS threads itself when youtube and another application are running, but hey, at least I got a solution working now, so thank you everyone for the help and brainstorming.

Investigating the issue, it looks like there are some scripts that Youtube runs that don't show up at all on NoScript that need to be allowed. uBlock was able to notice those scripts, thankfully.

At least beelink responded to my support email, and let me know that there's a Ryzen firmware update coming at the end of July, so who knows if this whole youtube issue is going to be a temporary issue anyway. Ah well, I'm still very grateful for the help, and I'm learning a lot more about uBlock than I had before.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Klyith posted:

Anyways, google is thinking a little bigger now. This proposal is basically DRM the entire internet for authorized (ie without adblock) browsers only.

This worries me immensely, google has the clout to just enable poo poo on enough peoples devices that this could ruin the internet overnight.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Klyith posted:

ronment-Integrity/blob/main/explainer.md]thinking a little bigger[/url] now. This proposal is basically DRM the entire internet for authorized (ie without adblock) browsers only.

This pisses me off not just because it's a generally evil proposal, but also it's going to cause a FIrefox comeback that Mozilla does not deserve in the slightest.

Or, who knows. Perhaps the geniuses that ruined MDN with AI "explainers" will just go ahead and implement the Google DRM in Firefox.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've been trying out youtube channel blocker extensions. The best one I've found is called Channel Blocker but it - and the rest - doesn't seem to work on the shorts. Specifically the creators of the shorts.

Most other channels now look like this with a big X I can click on to banish them forever.

But for the shorts, there's no such option I can find

Because that one person in that image apparently has five billion twee loving videos on living in Germany and I just can't loving stand her. I don't mind scrolling the shorts for random bits of entertainment, but youtube decided "if you watch it, you must want more of it!" which doesn't really make sense for random videos which load and play without any action on my part.

Blocking her via Youtube's regular method does nothing because she's apparently being promoted or something, so her videos always come back.

I want her gone.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because that one person in that image apparently has five billion twee loving videos on living in Germany and I just can't loving stand her. I don't mind scrolling the shorts for random bits of entertainment, but youtube decided "if you watch it, you must want more of it!" which doesn't really make sense for random videos which load and play without any action on my part.

Blocking her via Youtube's regular method does nothing because she's apparently being promoted or something, so her videos always come back.

I want her gone.

Best bet it to scour your Watch History and remove every video you don't want to see more of from it.

If you click your user icon in the top right, pick "Your data in YouTube" and scroll down a bit, you'll find "YouTube watch history: On". You can click that to disable tracking your watch history. Supposedly, things that don't get recorded in your watch history then won't affect your recommendations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Thanks for the tip. Turns out you can go from there to search your youtube history and individually delete videos you've watched from your history.

Thankfully, you can also search by name, so I entered her channel name rather than scrolling back forever. So I removed every single one of her videos I ever "watched".

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Hopefully it won't be more of her videos.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If you do decide to just go nuclear, I use this to purge my YouTube of shorts

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I want her gone.

Each short has a "don't recomend this channel" button.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Shorts lean heavily on clickbait. The section for shorts on your subscriptions page for example does not show the channel there either. If they're not already doing it, i bet YouTube is going to start putting recommendations in that section.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ILikeVoltron posted:

This worries me immensely, google has the clout to just enable poo poo on enough peoples devices that this could ruin the internet overnight.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

This pisses me off not just because it's a generally evil proposal

TBQH I don't expect a DRM-the-Web plan to go anywhere. Google is already having enough trouble with their plan to cripple adblocking with manifest V3.

And as much as some web publishers would love to have an internet without adblocking, there's a big first-mover disadvantage where you run the risk of cratering your own traffic. Google would have to take the lead with their own services (youtube etc) that have monopoly-level power, which then brings up the possibility of lawsuits.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

but also it's going to cause a FIrefox comeback that Mozilla does not deserve in the slightest.

Eh, as much as I have issues with Mozilla and their priorities, they're still the 2nd-least-bad people making a browser.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for the tip. Turns out you can go from there to search your youtube history and I removed every single one of her videos I ever "watched".

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Hopefully it won't be more of her videos.

Any time I get a recommended video that I'm intrigued enough to click, but probably don't want to take over my feed, I open in private window. Recommended -> watched conversions seem to have a big weight for The Algorithm.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Klyith posted:

Eh, as much as I have issues with Mozilla and their priorities, they're still the 2nd-least-bad people making a browser.

Pretty much. They may be some of the most obstinate and bullheaded devs I've ever had the chance to meet, but they're not Google. And the existence of a browser image that shares no roots with Chrome/Webkit keeps web devs honest.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

jeeves posted:

Is this the thread to bitch about Thunderbird's redesign? It just seems so much more compact/busy/harder to read.

I know I've become pretty curmudgeonly after like 15+ years of using Thunderbird, but ugh.

I am also an old curmudgeon thunderbird user. One of the reasons I use thunderbird is because I hate the look of pretty much all the newer mail clients out there. I want the pre "supernova" look back. If you find a way to make thunderbird look less gross please post about it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SeldomSeen posted:

I am also an old curmudgeon thunderbird user. One of the reasons I use thunderbird is because I hate the look of pretty much all the newer mail clients out there. I want the pre "supernova" look back. If you find a way to make thunderbird look less gross please post about it.

Uninstall the current one, install whichever version was directly before the new look, turn off auto-updates?

Unlike the web browser, using an old version of an email client isn't a terrible idea. Keep all the remote content off (that's the default in tbird) and you should be fine.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

101 posted:

If you do decide to just go nuclear, I use this to purge my YouTube of shorts

Yeah I've been using this, I'm not a fan of videos that are only a few minutes long, there's no way on earth I'm watching 30 second videos.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Last last update: I guess disabling NoScript when watching Youtube videos was not enough. Trying to have NoScript and uBlock running while watching Paramount+ is an exercise in madness. I kept enabling different scripts on both programs, before just deciding that NoScript entirely is probably not necessary anymore.

Sorry, the dynamic filtering extensions were having a fight on my front yard, and I'm not sure why in particular this started up only like a week ago, but eh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MikusR posted:

Each short has a "don't recomend this channel" button.

quote:

First thing I tried. And second. And third.

They just keep coming back. Often the next day.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've taken to using the ublock origin eye dropper thing to block the thumbnail. Just pick the first line in the selector and get rid of everything after the video id.

You'll end up with a grey surface (after a real refresh of the page) and somehow youtube picks up on that and starts showing other shorts I hate to look at less.

Unfortunately it's per video, not per channel because they don't expose the channel name for the shorts.

Also I think it's hilarious how badly they want you to click those by making the normal videos have the thumbnail become a video player of you mouse over, but shorts don't.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

god please help me posted:

Last last update: I guess disabling NoScript when watching Youtube videos was not enough. Trying to have NoScript and uBlock running while watching Paramount+ is an exercise in madness. I kept enabling different scripts on both programs, before just deciding that NoScript entirely is probably not necessary anymore.

Sorry, the dynamic filtering extensions were having a fight on my front yard, and I'm not sure why in particular this started up only like a week ago, but eh.

It really sounds like gpu driver problem. Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They said they had previously. I think they also said they're expecting a firmware/driver update soon that may fix the issue.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Yeah, that's correct. Though I've since then done some tinkering with NoScript and uBlock, so I'll do more experimentation on that end to see if disabling hardware acceleration works this time around. (I want it to.)

Honestly in retrospect, this whole problem could just be a strange combination of extensions updating themselves with bugs, Windows 11 deciding to put firefox into efficiency mode when I don't want it to, and Clip Studio's launcher/app store being badly coded. I remember on my Windows 10 pc when I would do my usual business between youtube watching and downloading stuff off of Clip Studio, there was always the possibility that Clip Studio would poo poo itself if pushed even slightly too hard. I accepted that the program would just crash sometimes, because so long as I had a youtube vid still going, no biggie. Now on this new Windows 11 PC, it seems like it's firefox's (maybe just because of the extensions?) turn to poo poo itself while Clip Studio et all do just fine.

The playback issue usually resolves itself with enough refreshes, so eh, I'm starting to accept my new circumstances. This mini PC, despite everything, is yet still more convenient than having a laptop or lugging around a large tower. :shrug:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A while back some brain genius at mozilla decided people didn't need to have a context menu option to "view image" anymore, because I suppose changing the UI is how they justify their job, and I installed some extension that brought it back, and not long ago it stopped working so I installed another but it puts the view image option in the bottom section and not at the top of the context menu where it belongs, and I'd really like to bring back view image without having to learn a new skill, if I have to learn a new skill I'll be very annoyed, but I'll still do it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SIGSEGV posted:

A while back some brain genius at mozilla decided people didn't need to have a context menu option to "view image" anymore, because I suppose changing the UI is how they justify their job, and I installed some extension that brought it back, and not long ago it stopped working so I installed another but it puts the view image option in the bottom section and not at the top of the context menu where it belongs, and I'd really like to bring back view image without having to learn a new skill, if I have to learn a new skill I'll be very annoyed, but I'll still do it.

What are you missing that's not provided by the "open image in new tab" that's in there by default?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Convenience. I have uses for both options, they have removed one option but I still have uses for both options.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, what's the difference?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Having to switch tabs. I agree I prefer the old option, but I used it so rarely I just put up with the newer dumber option. Which I sometimes forget the name of and have to spend longer looking for it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I thought extensions couldn't add things to context menus since Proton?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Knormal posted:

I thought extensions couldn't add things to context menus since Proton?

If you right click on this post you probably have a ublock "Block element..." thing in your context menu. :coal:

However, extensions can only add their own items, and can't remove / mess with anything else in the context menu. And all extension items go in a section at the end of the menu, so they can't be grouped up with a related standard item like SIGSEGV wants.

You can get rid of standard firefox items with userchrome.css:
code:
/* Removes stupid right-click menu entries */
#context-setWallpaper, #context-setDesktopBackground, #context-sep-setbackground, #context-viewbgimage,
#context-sendimage, #context-sendlink, #context-sendpage,
#context-sendpagetodevice, #context-sep-sendpagetodevice, #context-sendlinktodevice, #context-sep-sendlinktodevice, #context_sendTabToDevice, #context_sendTabToDevice_separator,
#context-video-fullscreen
{
    display: none !important;
}

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Having to switch tabs. I agree I prefer the old option, but I used it so rarely I just put up with the newer dumber option. Which I sometimes forget the name of and have to spend longer looking for it.

yeah, it hosed with my muscle memory for a long some, still does sometimes. i also would prefer to have both, but i guess if we can only have one, new tab is ultimately superior as it lets you retain your place on the page.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

With the old button you could just hold ctrl to open it on a new tab and shift to open in a new window.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I got a View Image extension so I'm happy.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Does it move its entry to the top of the context menu though, that's what I'm trying to get.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SIGSEGV posted:

Does it move its entry to the top of the context menu though, that's what I'm trying to get.
It very simply can't be done.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

In the end all I have is appreciation for the elegance of this method for harvesting pain and misery, making a lot of people's lives just a tiny bit more poo poo, one tiny move at a time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I was a great fan of the menu editor add-on before it was killed in the mass extinction. It should be core functionality much like the customize toolbar thingy. Well, it probably shouldn't for probably arguable reasons, but I want it to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flipperwaldt posted:

I was a great fan of the menu editor add-on before it was killed in the mass extinction. It should be core functionality much like the customize toolbar thingy. Well, it probably shouldn't for probably arguable reasons, but I want it to.

I have never wanted to email an image from the context menu, but Mozilla will move heaven and earth to make sure I can.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is one of my favorite image-based extensions, super simple and unobtrusive but you can take any image on a page, hold down RMB over it and scroll to zoom in. The image pops out and you can even move it. RMB+Click resets the image size and location.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

god please help me posted:

Yeah, that's correct. Though I've since then done some tinkering with NoScript and uBlock, so I'll do more experimentation on that end to see if disabling hardware acceleration works this time around. (I want it to.)

Honestly in retrospect, this whole problem could just be a strange combination of extensions updating themselves with bugs, Windows 11 deciding to put firefox into efficiency mode when I don't want it to, and Clip Studio's launcher/app store being badly coded. I remember on my Windows 10 pc when I would do my usual business between youtube watching and downloading stuff off of Clip Studio, there was always the possibility that Clip Studio would poo poo itself if pushed even slightly too hard. I accepted that the program would just crash sometimes, because so long as I had a youtube vid still going, no biggie. Now on this new Windows 11 PC, it seems like it's firefox's (maybe just because of the extensions?) turn to poo poo itself while Clip Studio et all do just fine.

The playback issue usually resolves itself with enough refreshes, so eh, I'm starting to accept my new circumstances. This mini PC, despite everything, is yet still more convenient than having a laptop or lugging around a large tower. :shrug:

Please uninstall NoScript and never use it again. Whatever you were using it for can be done better by Firefox itself, uBlock Origin or uMatrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have never wanted to email an image from the context menu, but Mozilla will move heaven and earth to make sure I can.

I'd always wonder, who does that?

I'd think, 'Am I internetting wrong that I have never wanted to email random images I come across to people I know?"