Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Trastion posted:

Can someone look at my USI and tell me what will get me farther or through more challenges? I am sure I am doing a lot wrong but the game is pretty terrible about explaining anything.

https://pastes.io/aotd37tfpq

1. Go clear sector 40b and drop a couple of warp cores into catching up core Gamma
2. Go to sector 41 and farm up your flex shard using these v devices and setting your reactor/synths to only damage/research/shards/voidgen/gonext:

3. While farming shards, swap between researches until everything is e29 or e30.
4. Go to sector 45a and farm up damage/research/salvage shards and continue researching until everything is e31.
5. With all of this in tow, swap over all your v devices/shards/reactors/synths to full bore salvage to unlock a few more tiers of core upgrades (the tracking tier should more than double your shields/dps alone).
6. Maybe set everything to max voidgen/cap and turn off auto-manage, turn your shields/dps down to the 80s and buy all the upgrades for the top section of the reactor. (this step might not be worth it as it's very slow and I'm unsure of the returns.

TL;DR - Hit all the things you've been skipping: Sector unlocks, v device shards, research. The multipliers add up fast.

Most importantly: Focus your efforts - doing 4 things at 2x speed is worse than doing 1 thing at 20x speed, so rearrange literally your whole build each time you change focus.

After this, idk, maybe try a couple of challenges. Your goal now is to clear sector 48 and get the next utility core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Toshimo posted:

1. Go clear sector 40b and drop a couple of warp cores into catching up core Gamma
2. Go to sector 41 and farm up your flex shard using these v devices and setting your reactor/synths to only damage/research/shards/voidgen/gonext:

3. While farming shards, swap between researches until everything is e29 or e30.
4. Go to sector 45a and farm up damage/research/salvage shards and continue researching until everything is e31.
5. With all of this in tow, swap over all your v devices/shards/reactors/synths to full bore salvage to unlock a few more tiers of core upgrades (the tracking tier should more than double your shields/dps alone).
6. Maybe set everything to max voidgen/cap and turn off auto-manage, turn your shields/dps down to the 80s and buy all the upgrades for the top section of the reactor. (this step might not be worth it as it's very slow and I'm unsure of the returns.

TL;DR - Hit all the things you've been skipping: Sector unlocks, v device shards, research. The multipliers add up fast.

Most importantly: Focus your efforts - doing 4 things at 2x speed is worse than doing 1 thing at 20x speed, so rearrange literally your whole build each time you change focus.

After this, idk, maybe try a couple of challenges. Your goal now is to clear sector 48 and get the next utility core.

Thanks. I will give that a shot. I don't actively play much as it runs on my work pc so I only check it once in a while. But the game is pretty bad about explaining anything. I don't have time to go read all the help files or join a discord for an "idle game".

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Trastion posted:

But the game is pretty bad about explaining anything. I don't have time to go read all the help files or join a discord for an "idle game".

This does not seem like a particularly fair criticism of the game. The mechanics are straightforward and all numbers are available, there's no counterintuitive strategies or out of game information needed to progress, you get popups when you unlock something new that you need to learn about, the next available unlocks are all shown in the UI, etc.

No amount of explanation is going to help people who get stuck because they just forgot about or ignored one or more major game systems (which is both of the last 'stuck in USI' posts). At worst I'd say the game moves at such a slow pace players can forget that it's been a month since they did a research run.

I find it, along with FE000000, one of the idle games most playable with only in game information.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

cyrn posted:

This does not seem like a particularly fair criticism of the game. The mechanics are straightforward and all numbers are available, there's no counterintuitive strategies or out of game information needed to progress, you get popups when you unlock something new that you need to learn about, the next available unlocks are all shown in the UI, etc.

No amount of explanation is going to help people who get stuck because they just forgot about or ignored one or more major game systems (which is both of the last 'stuck in USI' posts). At worst I'd say the game moves at such a slow pace players can forget that it's been a month since they did a research run.

I find it, along with FE000000, one of the idle games most playable with only in game information.

counterpoint: I am too dumb to remember the entirety of the cretian labyrinth that is any of these games's mechanics. I literally stopped played idle games because I got annoyed with myself for using a guide to play FE000000 because I had lost all sense of what the game even was.

I get paid to understand spreadsheets, it's pretty forgivable to not like a game that is "figure out what weird formula created these numbers".

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Lotta weird feelings being projected onto a free idle game that provides so many dozens/hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Anyway, thanks to all the pros for the recs in this thread. Been lurking for a long time, and it’s been a huge source of enjoyment for me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

weird feelings such as "i like this" and "i don't like this"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm most of the way through dodecadragons, so I'm seeing it through...this is the most active idle game I've ever encountered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm most of the way through dodecadragons, so I'm seeing it through...this is the most active idle game I've ever encountered.

I hit a point in it where I'm almost done and need ee1,000,000 gold. I thought I was doing something wrong so I ventured into the discord and nope that parts just a time wall of grinding essence

Edit sorry, it's ee40,000,000

Len fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 20, 2023

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Dodecadragons is so bad for a game that is so well-liked. Just constantly pressing the same buttons over and over again. I made a script to mash the appropriate buttons to get past the dumb timewalls, multiple times! It just never stops! There’s no strategy to it either, just hit the upgrade button over and over again. It’s sickening

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The worst part about the timewalls isn't that they exist (though that's weird in a pretty active game), it's that you have no idea if/when you can beat them. Okay I'm at ee30000000 gold, will just waiting be enough to get me to ee400000000000 or should I reset the other sigil another 20 times?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

It really is like the worst of the Prestige Tree mods, but instead of clicking on different buttons connected by lines, you drag your view around. Which is the worst interface I have seen, just dragging your view past all these mechanics that haven't been relevant in months. And not even a typical "Wait for the next button to light up" kind of waiting, instead you are panning in circles clicking to get a little more of resource m which allows you to get more of resource n which allows you to get more of resource o which will let a new button light up in 20 minutes.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
this is why every time I hit a time wall in the game I just cheated myself in a bunch of whatever resource I was waiting on (its all game.whateverTheResourceIsCalled.mag in the console). Also I discovered right at the end that if you click on a resource in the resource list it jumps your screen right to that resource so you don't have to pan around, something I wish I knew absolutely ages ago god drat.

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
:siren:Orb of Creation's next update releases in August 17:siren:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
The test build is coming out July 27th, if one wants to give some PatreonBux for early access

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
The accompanying post teasing the changes for v0.6.0

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm hyped for 0.6.0, though I think I'm gonna start fresh if everything is getting mixed up, i wouldn't remember what I was doing anyway.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

USI: is there any reason not to run Reactor and Synth cores on every single run? Synth is a huge power boost for the run and unlocks permanent upgrades via synth points, Reactor isn't permanent but it's an extra 20+ levels of reactor bonus for everything you do. I could see maybe running Research instead of Reactor if you're trying to grind up unbound research and you're at a point where having those extra reactor levels doesn't make a difference to what sector you're idling in, but Compute seems like a hard sell in general.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, you're not wrong that synth is incredibly useful and will be one of your modules 95% of the time, but retrofits are there so that you can make use of all of them. Start out with Compute + Synth, then retrofit over to Synth + Reactor when your computer levels are high enough.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Trastion posted:

But the game is pretty bad about explaining anything. I don't have time to go read all the help files or join a discord for an "idle game".

I absolutely agree with this. USI feels, to me, like a consistent struggle to find out what I'm not doing or not doing right in order to progress, and I've had to refer multiple times to this thread for that. It can feel very obtuse since what it ends up being is a large number of plates that need to be kept spinning but it's very easy to forget about one or two of them or fail to notice when the spinning is getting slow.

I mean, people are posting saves itt so others can look through them and let them know what needs to be done. Seems fairly polarizing between people who just blast through it no problems and people who are constantly stymied by whatever the design is here that makes us go "I have no idea why I'm not progressing or what I should be doing".

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

I mean, people are posting saves itt so others can look through them and let them know what needs to be done. Seems fairly polarizing between people who just blast through it no problems and people who are constantly stymied by whatever the design is here that makes us go "I have no idea why I'm not progressing or what I should be doing".

The "simple" solution to USI is to rotate a tab to the right every two days, build up that tab, rotate, repeat.
Kind of disappointing.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

KazigluBey posted:

Honestly this is gonna be a problem on any significantly complicated idler. I remember a lot of people being stuck in Realm Grinder at points because there were specific builds that were orders of magnitude better than others. Don't know if that got fixed but I really didn't care for that.

And there's always gonna be a variance in people understanding something intuitively. I know I'm running into that on my project.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Incremental games are also more prone to the problem of friction in design. If you don’t have enough friction then people glide through your game and don’t really care or remember anything about it, but with too much they’ll stop and leave the game. I think incremental games have a much harder time maintaining the level of friction that players generally want at different stages of the game because (among other problems) the time scale makes things very hard to playtest. If a player doesn’t feel they’re progressing meaningfully in the first 20 minutes of a game, that’s pretty bad. But if a later-game reset lasts a week then any given 20 minutes probably shouldn’t matter too much, and making that transition is really difficult without nailing down the numbers via layers of time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's a common thing many idle games do so I suppose I'm in the minority here, but "reset takes 20min at the start and a week at the end" is the exact opposite of what I want out of a game

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

KazigluBey posted:

USI feels, to me, like a consistent struggle to find out what I'm not doing or not doing right in order to progress

This is how i felt as well, had no idea why the game didn’t progress and couldn’t be bothered to go to a forum/discord for every sector, so i shelved the game after a few weeks.

It was just Realm Grinder in space.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

GrossMurpel posted:

It's a common thing many idle games do so I suppose I'm in the minority here, but "reset takes 20min at the start and a week at the end" is the exact opposite of what I want out of a game

Honestly, agreed. It just becomes like doing dailies in an GaaS thing but without the actual game attached.

At this point, the only games of this kind I really care for aren't really idle at all, it's stuff like paperclips or maybe prestige tree, where you can keep clicking back relatively frequently while doing other stuff, and then you've pretty much done everything significant within a few days or at most a couple of weeks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deki posted:

Honestly this is gonna be a problem on any significantly complicated idler. I remember a lot of people being stuck in Realm Grinder at points because there were specific builds that were orders of magnitude better than others. Don't know if that got fixed but I really didn't care for that.
...does Realm Grinder still exist now that Kongregate is dead? Had it made the leap to Steam/mobile before that? All I remember was that picking the wrong faction option / wrong heritage option out of the loving like nine / eight available respectively would murder your run by at least 100 orders of magnitude before you even got out of the gate

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...does Realm Grinder still exist now that Kongregate is dead? Had it made the leap to Steam/mobile before that? All I remember was that picking the wrong faction option / wrong heritage option out of the loving like nine / eight available respectively would murder your run by at least 100 orders of magnitude before you even got out of the gate

It does indeed. Still seems to be chugging along pretty nicely in terms of update content, although the issue of needing specific builds to progress at a reasonable rate is still as fundamental as ever.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, it's been on Steam and mobile for ages.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

This is how i felt as well, had no idea why the game didn’t progress and couldn’t be bothered to go to a forum/discord for every sector, so i shelved the game after a few weeks.

It was just Realm Grinder in space.

It really isn't comparable. I had no problem reaching end of content in USI without guides. You just rotate between the things that persist across runs until it feels like you're not making a ton of progress, then rotate to something else. Weapon load outs to choose are usually pretty obvious, and just about anything can work if you brute force it a bit.

Compared to realm grinder which had literally hundreds of options that need to be set at the start of a run, and some things need to be built up for a few days to be effective, or require a certain setup on a previous run to be effective. It absolutely required a guide at all times to make any progress.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
For me USI hits a really bad spot of 'individual runs are long and so is the whole game' and 'it is optimal to fiddle with it every 10 minutes'. I had to stop playing it because it ate several hours of my day, espwcially with crew.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Checking DodecaDragons again to see if it got better. The answer is "not really"
I love getting any upgrade that increases challenge scores, so I have to do the challenges again, which gives me enough score to feed the dragon again, which resets challenge scores, so I have to do the challenges all again, and then all again one more time to do them with the boosted income. When your player absolutely dreads buying an upgrade, that's good idle game design right there

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
"Challenges" should not be "the exact same game with some math penalty that doesn't change anything about how the game is played".

Too many idle games are simply a linear path of upgrades with zero meaningful choice. Just buy the thing that lights up and do the one thing that makes the number go up at any given point.

Making good idle games is really fuckin hard.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Dodecadragons caught on because the UI was really unique and visually interesting when it first came out but I don't think its a good game and I don't think that UI has really worked out as its grown. I saw the dev saying they've lost interest in the game and imo so should everyone else, its like the most tedious prestige tree games with a more visually appealing aesthetic

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

dodeca dragons literally just hit 1.0 last week, anyways challenges become automated and not a thing fairly quickly but that section does suck while you are doing it, i think it's pre sigils even you just automatically get max score from challenges

edit: it's blue sigils

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 25, 2023

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cerepol posted:

dodeca dragons literally just hit 1.0 last week, anyways challenges become automated and not a thing fairly quickly but that section does suck while you are doing it, i think it's pre sigils even you just automatically get max score from challenges

edit: it's blue sigils

I know. That's why I'm complaining about only the challenges and not, say, having to buy all magic upgrades several times, because that's less of a chore
The concept of the challenges is neat, the repetition is poo poo design

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

SynthesisAlpha posted:

"Challenges" should not be "the exact same game with some math penalty that doesn't change anything about how the game is played".

Too many idle games are simply a linear path of upgrades with zero meaningful choice. Just buy the thing that lights up and do the one thing that makes the number go up at any given point.

Making good idle games is really fuckin hard.

I checked out Progress Quest Remastered that just got released and man it has nothing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
im gonna be honest i have no idea what anyone saying dodecadragons is slow is talking about; some bits are slower than others but it was the one incremental game that during development, when an update hit, i would just start over from hard reset and be back up to content in like two days

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
In a shocking turn of events, Farmer Against Potatoes Idle finally released an update where the farmer can farm things. It's apparently separate from the potato battling portion for a bit, but the dev has apparently put features in that will impact later in the game.

From the little bit I've got so far, you basically plant a crop, wait for it to grow, and reap the plant to get "Healthy Potatoes". Every game turning into Antimatter Dimensions eventually seems to hold here, as higher level plants grow the lower level ones. Manually growing and harvesting will let you upgrade the plant yield and speed though. After a bit of growth you can apparently prestige for "Fries" to get more upgrades, and the dev recommends getting 30-50 Fries on your first prestige to get the "Auto" farming option.

Just released today so there may be changes made eventually, but apparently there's also a multiplayer event in the works...

In addition, USI is on Steam now, and should be released on the 27th per Discord: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2471100/Unnamed_Space_Idle/

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Hand Row posted:

I checked out Progress Quest Remastered that just got released and man it has nothing.

Sounds like a faithful remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

somekindofguy posted:

In a shocking turn of events, Farmer Against Potatoes Idle finally released an update where the farmer can farm things. It's apparently separate from the potato battling portion for a bit, but the dev has apparently put features in that will impact later in the game.

From the little bit I've got so far, you basically plant a crop, wait for it to grow, and reap the plant to get "Healthy Potatoes". Every game turning into Antimatter Dimensions eventually seems to hold here, as higher level plants grow the lower level ones. Manually growing and harvesting will let you upgrade the plant yield and speed though. After a bit of growth you can apparently prestige for "Fries" to get more upgrades, and the dev recommends getting 30-50 Fries on your first prestige to get the "Auto" farming option.

Just released today so there may be changes made eventually, but apparently there's also a multiplayer event in the works...

In addition, USI is on Steam now, and should be released on the 27th per Discord: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2471100/Unnamed_Space_Idle/

hasn't the fapi mp been coming for years? also do you have to still do an annoying amount of gear micro every prestige or is there a way around that