Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

aluminumonkey posted:

So when they find out red bull is cheating, what part of the car is it going to be? Fuel system, moveable aero on the floor....

Using unlimited CFD and wind tunnel time but claiming it’s for cooling related purposes.

Hang on, I’ve just been handed a note: “That is totally allowed and ReBull pinky swore so we trust them - The FIA”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

EoRaptor posted:

Using unlimited CFD and wind tunnel time but claiming it’s for cooling related purposes.

Hang on, I’ve just been handed a note: “That is totally allowed and ReBull pinky swore so we trust them - The FIA”

I don’t understand how any of those limits are enforceable when teams own the facilities.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don’t understand how any of those limits are enforceable when teams own the facilities.

When they fill out the logbook they have to sign their name so it's impossible to cheat it ;)

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

EoRaptor posted:

you meant cooking, right?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Engineers being told no extra cfd time is like me telling you nerds not to pirate video games

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
are "aeroelastic" components still against the rules? (i don't see how since every team has a front wing designed to change angle of attack under load)

anyway i could see red bull doing some cheat-ish stuff around coupling the aero and suspension systems together. skirting the lines of active aero?

anything aero or similar would have to be something hard to see if no one's made a big deal about it this far into the season

either that or yeah cheating on cfd/tunnel time

Or maybe they just told max to hold the throttle pedal down more often

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Theyre flexing the turbo plenum

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It’s not just one cheat it’s all of it at the same time btw

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

God loving drat it

This is cruel

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

:sickos:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

EoRaptor posted:

they are probably cheating in other ways too!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ethanol posted:

It’s not just one cheat it’s all of it at the same time btw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Red Bull are going to put a £3m line item on their accounts for toilet paper and it turns out the factory has been wiping with carbon fibre sheets all year

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Heineken ads are the absolute loving worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj1opl7-Ros

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Love the implication Max has friends

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Mokotow posted:

Love the implication Max has friends

at least one

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

lmao

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

the milk machine posted:

are "aeroelastic" components still against the rules? (i don't see how since every team has a front wing designed to change angle of attack under load)

Wings can flex X millimeters at Y point, so every competent team has wings that flex exactly X at Y. The testing methodology changed from having a lad stand on it in the pits to measure deflection with 100kg on it to the scrutineering team actually inspecting nose cam footage to see what happens under real world aero load with the car moving around (which is how everybody except the FIA was able to tell stuff was moving further than it should to begin with), sometimes you see cars with little marker stickers on the nose which they use as reference points for this.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Lando is speshul

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rinkles posted:

It’s pretty obvious when a wind tunnel is running and you can just have a webcam pointing at it?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

smackfu posted:

It’s pretty obvious when a wind tunnel is running and you can just have a webcam pointing at it?

Is it running over 5m/s? 15m/s? How long was it stopped for? Did you turn the fan on too quickly? Off too quickly? Did you change the bodywork at the wrong time? Do you have active systems for adjusting bodywork whilst the fan is running? Did you run over midnight? Etc etc etc

You'll get picked up on an audit if you do anything daft.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Totally not the issue. It's the grey area around resource allocation

KTM went from being actively opposed to aero in MotoGP, having terrible/barely any aero on the bike to this year magically they jumped to having the one of the most sophisticated aero on the grid. Coincidentally it's an Austrian company sponsored by Red Bull. If you have a team that rotates between working on MotoGP aerodynamics half the time and then F1 the other half is it really fair that only 50% of the salary counts towards the budget cap? They're still working on aerodynamic concepts they can apply to the F1 car in the time they're not on the F1 project.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Fun fact: The same also applies to Nico Hulkenberg!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

If they want to appeal to the US market they should advertise it like Nascar by doing compilations of all the horrific collisions with a badass guitar riff laid over top. I was at the gym today and they were playing some Nascar footage and it was surprisingly bloodthirsty in the promotional reels.
They should promote physical violence between the drivers too in NASCAR style, which makes Max the best driver in modern F1 as he’s the most recent driver to physically assault another driver.

Wonder if anyone has an excel spreadsheet of all the instances of physical violence between drivers

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Every poster in this thread has, at the time of this message, also the same amount of points as Sargeant

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They should promote physical violence between the drivers too in NASCAR style, which makes Max the best driver in modern F1 as he’s the most recent driver to physically assault another driver.

Wonder if anyone has an excel spreadsheet of all the instances of physical violence between drivers

Does George crashing into Valtteri and then going up to him afterwards count

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

If they want to appeal to the US market they should advertise it like Nascar by doing compilations of all the horrific collisions with a badass guitar riff laid over top. I was at the gym today and they were playing some Nascar footage and it was surprisingly bloodthirsty in the promotional reels.

You basically described the opening reel that plays before races on F1TV

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is Danny Ric erasure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMrOsmjgfo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlowBloke posted:

Every poster in this thread has, at the time of this message, also the same amount of points as Sargeant

Are you sure nobody in this thread is driving for an F1 team?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

tony quidtana posted:

Totally not the issue. It's the grey area around resource allocation

KTM went from being actively opposed to aero in MotoGP, having terrible/barely any aero on the bike to this year magically they jumped to having the one of the most sophisticated aero on the grid. Coincidentally it's an Austrian company sponsored by Red Bull. If you have a team that rotates between working on MotoGP aerodynamics half the time and then F1 the other half is it really fair that only 50% of the salary counts towards the budget cap? They're still working on aerodynamic concepts they can apply to the F1 car in the time they're not on the F1 project.

I think this is actively being considered as so many manufacturers are doing similar things, especially with the resurgence of GTP/LMH in endurance racing.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Are you sure nobody in this thread is driving for an F1 team?

As if anyone in here has the brain capacity to even understand what the buttons on the wheel do

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Diet Crack posted:

As if anyone in here has the brain capacity to even understand what the buttons on the wheel do

Pff if I can master Shadow of the Colossus I can figure out a few buttons on an F1 car

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I think this is actively being considered as so many manufacturers are doing similar things, especially with the resurgence of GTP/LMH in endurance racing.

I don't think it is actively being considered as so many manufacturers are doing similar things, especially with the resurgence of GTP/LMH in endurance racing that nobody cares about instead of pocketing the cash

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diet Crack posted:

I know what they do on a Ferrari

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

What about when the lmh team is better than the f1 team? Aka :ferrari:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

mama mia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Diet Crack posted:

I barely know what the buttons on the keyboard do.