Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Dareon posted:

You know what, I am giving myself permission to be mad. Don't tell me how to play my game, and don't give me inaccurate information into the bargain.

Will I eventually have an unstoppable death machine with all the comforts of home? Yes. While I work on that, however, I'm gonna keep my inventory in a manner that makes sense to me. I'm allowing loose piles of detergent in my bag because those boxes really are too big most of the time. But actual food preservation is happening, and it's not even a loving opportunity cost, I'm not going to need to horkle down a sandwich in any situation involving impending doom until the devs start implementing hunger pangs.

You, very specifically you, should know better, so gently caress off with your bullshit.

Mad over, thank you for your time.

They do. It's only by 20%, but anyone reading the actual description will see it.

I double-checked the item JSON, checked the PR that added the zipper bags, and even searched github to try to figure out if the bag thing was true and didn't see it anywhere. I see now that it's an undocumented hardcoded effect that doesn't work off of the flag system like it should. I've never put food into a ziploc bag and am surprised to learn that it does anything. Learn something new every day.

IIRC you have recently come back to the game after a long absence. I assumed you were operating under a false assumption about the bags and were getting frustrated by the nested container system, which everyone finds frustrating. I replied to try to help you out, not to make fun of you or tell you how to play your game. I even said that if it was a roleplaying thing then party on. Thanks for the normal reply though.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's hardcoded, it's the "spoil_multiplier": 0.8 part of the bag's pocket_data, right?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Pigbuster posted:

I don't think it's hardcoded, it's the "spoil_multiplier": 0.8 part of the bag's pocket_data, right?

drat you're right. My eyes just went right to flags because that's where I'd have put it. The initial PR didn't add this spoilage reduction and searching through the "zipper bag" PRs didn't reveal anything obvious, so I was pretty confused as to what everyone was talking about. A case of missing the forest for the trees I guess.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 23, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

worm girl posted:

I double-checked the item JSON, checked the PR that added the zipper bags, and even searched github to try to figure out if the bag thing was true and didn't see it anywhere. I see now that it's an undocumented hardcoded effect that doesn't work off of the flag system like it should. I've never put food into a ziploc bag and am surprised to learn that it does anything. Learn something new every day.

IIRC you have recently come back to the game after a long absence. I assumed you were operating under a false assumption about the bags and were getting frustrated by the nested container system, which everyone finds frustrating. I replied to try to help you out, not to make fun of you or tell you how to play your game. I even said that if it was a roleplaying thing then party on. Thanks for the normal reply though.

Most of the containers weren't around when I was playing last, so I tend to take a good look at them to see if they do anything interesting. I'm more likely to miss things that change about old items because I'm certain they still work the same way. I did notice that the plastic tupperware doesn't do anything to prevent spoilage (at the very quick glance I gave one with a spoiled salad), when this was a selling point of the stuff.

And I should apologize. I hadn't eaten in a while and I get snappish when my bloodsugar gets low. I give your statements more weight because you're running an LP, producing tutorial videos, and actively participating in development. While expecting you to know every minutia is absurd, confidently and repeatedly claiming that the evidence of my own eyes is false was irksome.

I had a sandwich.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Glad this has been sorted out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Giving myself permission to rage about optimal sandwich storage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loose in a sack is always the funniest way to store them

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Synthbuttrange posted:

loose in a sack is always the funniest way to store them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwFuQ_7kVc

This is every CDDA survivor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

washing soda and sugar, together at last

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dareon posted:

[...] I'm not going to need to horkle down a sandwich in any situation involving impending doom until the devs start implementing hunger pangs.

The Jittery drawback gives you a severe Dex debuff if you're too hungry. I've been playing a character with that trait and took to carrying around a bunch of toast-ems to munch on to get my dodge bonus back.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I need to start ziplocking my stuff I keep in the fridge, then. I actually like that.

Griz
May 21, 2001

yeah I put all my flour jerky etc in zipper bags in the fridge until I can power a freezer

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just smoke the ferals I kill for meats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually using the bags routinely sounds miserable. if you could just dump them nearby and the game would automatically use them that'd be one thing but no way am I fiddling with the container system any more than I have to.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If there was a zone order or whatever that basically let you hit a button and time passed as your character put poo poo into ziplocks or boxes that would be sane and good.

But having a mechanic where its optimal (20% is pretty loving big) to put poo poo into ziplocks and making the player have to do that manually is incredibly insane. Its basically parody.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i just dump everything in a huge pile in a closet in the safe base and eat the things that will spoil first off the floor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, using the bags was like 60% roleplay to begin with, but I had a lot of tomatoes to get through and even with the massive food surplus available in spring I felt bad about just leaving things to rot.

Workflow can be shortened to a few actions (Make food, wield bag, examine bag, insert food), which could be shortened further if activating the bag brought up the insert dialog.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

megane posted:

I've been working on a 2x upscaled version of NeoDays.

Lots of work to go, but it's starting to look pretty good, I think.

Are you still working on this?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I discovered lakeside caves contain hives of giant octopi.

That was weird.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you still working on this?

I haven't had the urge recently, but I'll get back to it eventually! I kinda got burned out on it because this game has so many loving articles of clothing, my god, why do we need this many loving kinds of pants. Here's a zip of the current state of things if you want to try it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

megane posted:

I haven't had the urge recently, but I'll get back to it eventually! I kinda got burned out on it because this game has so many loving articles of clothing, my god, why do we need this many loving kinds of pants. Here's a zip of the current state of things if you want to try it.

Yeah there's a lot of graphic things that are nice on the big pretty tile sets but not that useful on the cleaner tile sets. I do like retrodays though, but I've mostly come around to the more modern tilesets. (Their tree tiles still suck for figuring out what to forage from in the woods though.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have officially contributed to the game :toot:. I found a rather unexpected issue and thankfully it was pretty easy for someone to fix basically same day.

Fortunately I did not actually need a tourniquet at the time. :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
mildly annoyed that killing someone with 'psycho' in their name, who had spent like an hour chasing me to try and steal my poo poo and refused all attempts to communicate, gave me a -100 moodlet for killing an 'innocent person'.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So is this going to be a problem for the long term safety of the refugee center? I have very little experience with what that place is like these past few years.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
My CDDA Launcher stopped working today, throwing up an error when I tried to update. It was an old unmaintained version apparently and I was pointed to DazedNConfused's version. My antivirus threw a fit with this version though, before I chalk it up to a false positive I thought I'd ask here. Do people still use the launcher and if so, is this what they're using?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So is this going to be a problem for the long term safety of the refugee center? I have very little experience with what that place is like these past few years.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Theoretically if you only approach and leave from the road, that should minimize the number of enemies that spawn, right? Both the tower and pit are outside of the reality bubble.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there still that ICBM launcher area in the game? Head to two of those and nuke both those places. Give the locals a show.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Leal posted:

Is there still that ICBM launcher area in the game? Head to two of those and nuke both those places. Give the locals a show.

Removed as unrealistic

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Goodchild posted:

My CDDA Launcher stopped working today, throwing up an error when I tried to update. It was an old unmaintained version apparently and I was pointed to DazedNConfused's version. My antivirus threw a fit with this version though, before I chalk it up to a false positive I thought I'd ask here. Do people still use the launcher and if so, is this what they're using?

I use the Catapult launcher: https://github.com/qrrk/Catapult
It was linked in this thread at some point and I tried it and found I liked it the best, and have stuck with it since.

It's best feature imo is collating the pull requests for the cataclysm git into a readable changelog so you can tell what the latest experimental updates have added without needing to navigate the git and rifle through the pulls yourself. And each change listed is conveniently clickable in the changelog, linking to the pull, so you can read more about it in detail if you want to.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks! I am liking this launcher better already, that changelog function is great. :hfive:
Now I can get back to the cataclysm without having to second guess my antivirus (I read a lot of posts of people saying it was false positive and it probably was, but now I don't have to deal with it!)

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
My cockroach PR got merged today. You can now scare cockroaches away with a flashlight, provided you keep your distance from them. They'll turn around and attack if you get too close. This doesn't work on the most evolved ones, but if you toss a light down into a basement and wait several seconds the other kinds should all run away. They can hide under certain kinds of furniture too, so watch out!

edit: also if you are farming them, they will breed faster if you leave food or corpses out for them to eat. They can actually pulp zombies for you too.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 25, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think it's too much of an issue if you're not around that much and try to mind the reality bubble as Dirk the Average said. Your other two options are to deal with the locations or to move on and search for another center (the map is infinite and will generate duplicates if you travel far enough). If you feel up to dealing with the locations then go for it but maybe read on if you haven't visited either of them before.

I never seriously dealt with a Mi-Go tower due to the internal climate effect but the enemies themselves aren't bad as long as you have a 5.56 gun. Shotguns work too but you'll take some shots in return due to being closer. If it has captive zombies like the Mi-Go prison then you might meet something dangerous like hulks though. I think in the end you kinda need a mini-nuke to destroy the tower or crash big and heavy cars into the walls repeatedly because Mi-Go walls are just tough like that. I think without a very specific setup and certain CBMs you can't fully clear the floors of the tower due to the internal climate effects.

The slime pit isn't that bad tbh. It's mostly a test of endurance and having enough things like grenades or a flamethrower with a few full tanks. Running out of stamina will also be a problem so bring emergency oxygen packs if you got em. Just go into the pit and keep going down, killing slimes in your way, until you find the boss slime. Once that one is dead the spawning will stop. Iirc you'll get no loot out of this so yeah make your choice wisely.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 25, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Videogames

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Has anyone played with the new mainline mod Mind over Matter yet? How is it?

I generally roll with No Hope / Generic Guns / Magiclysm / Bombastic Perks but might add MoM into my standard loadout.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've taken out Mi-Go Encampments in Innawoods with nothing but the power of molotovs, spite, and being very careful to back in and out whenever I started heating up or vomiting too much. It's notably easier if you have a gas mask since that'll at least stop the air from trying to kill you. They're definitely doable without crazy specific CBMs or something, but they're tough.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

thatbastardken posted:

mildly annoyed that killing someone with 'psycho' in their name, who had spent like an hour chasing me to try and steal my poo poo and refused all attempts to communicate, gave me a -100 moodlet for killing an 'innocent person'.

It does that to me with hostile bandits too, there's something buggy about it's detection of innocence. I just... keep antidepressants on me now. (That is not how they work, I'm not sure why drugs are done to be so true to life but anti depressants didn't get the same treatment.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How exactly does getting proficiency from butchering/dissecting work? I read somewhere that you want to butcher until you get the "Principles of Biology" (or whatever appropriate to the class of monster you're targeting), then dissect that monster type until you get its weak point.

But butchering barely advances my progress towards Principles of Biology, while dissection advances it by 4 to 7% each go.

I don't have a scalpel, but I do have a butchering kit and a xacto knife.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Can/Do the NPCs at somewhere like the Refugee Center point to or hint at where to find other “faction” camps like the Hub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can/Do the NPCs at somewhere like the Refugee Center point to or hint at where to find other “faction” camps like the Hub?

I'm pretty sure the quests you get from the Refugee Center point to the other factions after a few stages.