Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
After you do the first quest or two for Smokes, you'll get a quest that sends you to Tacoma (the ranch prospectus). If you do the first quest for the Old Guard representative, they'll send you to the exodii (check out the weird robots). Smokes also has a quest to deliver FEMA data to some government types, that one goes to Hub 01. I believe Smokes can also send you out to the Isherwood farm.

The doctor in the front room has a quest that sends you to a lab after you get the zombie blood tested for them. I think there are others as well. The refugee center has a shitload of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can/Do the NPCs at somewhere like the Refugee Center point to or hint at where to find other “faction” camps like the Hub?

Yes. Quite a few NPCs might be able to point you directions. Mild spoilers but below I'll be listing the ones I remember.

-Old Guard Representative (Refugee Center): Sends you to check on the Exodii on the third or fourth mission.
-Smokes, Merchant (Refugee Center): Only sort of related, but sends you to check on the 'new' Tacoma Ranch after two or three missions. Asking him about the situation in the area will eventually give you a mission to check out Hub_01.
-Teamster (Refugee Center): They're in the back bay. Every few days you can ask them if they've seen something unusual out there, and you'll get a small mission to check a place out. I've seen him point out the Isherwood Farm, the Bullet/Blacksmith homestead, and the Exodii. The Teamster *will* repeat locations, and I'm not sure if you need to manually clear the missions by visiting them or using the Debug Menu to 'complete' the missions.
-Lapin (Semi-Hidden Forest Location): Kind of rare to find, but Lapin (not sure if it's a consistent name but he runs a rabbit farm and I think is a Rabbit Mutant) does ask you to check on the Isherwood Farm and gives the location.
-Rubik (Exodii Scrap Castle): Asking Rubik for work and taking the job gives you a mission to visit Hub_01.
-Signpost (Exodii Drop Pod random locations, Stone Barn locations): While not an NPC, worth mentioning is that if you examine the wooden signs at Exodii locations you'll usually get directions to their HQ.
-Lumberjack Manager (NPC Populated Lumbermill): Eventually will ask you to set up a trade agreement with the Refugee Center, and thus gives you that location. I believe a couple of other locales, such as the Scrapyard, do similar.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. There's quite a few factions I've heard about and that are supposedly in the game, but are rare enough that good luck finding them even with cheats. Like I know there's those Valhallist guys and know what their location is called, but even Debug map revealing and teleporting around I can never seem to find them. Similarly, there's supposedly an NPC faction hiding out in a church or something, but again, no clue.

(And that's ignoring that of course some mods add groups or static NPC locations, such as Magiclysm adding Wizard Island Towers with an NPC at the top of the tower.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone played with the new mainline mod Mind over Matter yet? How is it?

I generally roll with No Hope / Generic Guns / Magiclysm / Bombastic Perks but might add MoM into my standard loadout.
How is Generic Guns these days? I remember using it years ago and being disappointed that they cut out so many useful and meaningfully distinct guns, compressing things way beyond just redundant brand naming. I can't really remember if that shaped up though.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

thatbastardken posted:

mildly annoyed that killing someone with 'psycho' in their name, who had spent like an hour chasing me to try and steal my poo poo and refused all attempts to communicate, gave me a -100 moodlet for killing an 'innocent person'.

I just had this happen to me too.

Character: *kill person that fires on then when opening the door*
Character: "Aw gently caress, now I'm so sad I can't even make a brazier to boil water"
Me: "You're literally going to die of dehydration in this brutal 80° Massachusetts summer you loving moron. Build. The. Brazier. Boil the water."
Character: "I can't go on. I'm already dead. I was murdered."
Me: "You just found an alien outpost, killed a bunch of them, and even bit a few of them with your teeth like Arlong from One Piece. You're a badass fish mutant ninja - you can handle this."
Character: *sobs uncontrollably as they stuff books into plastic soda bottles in the corner*

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I forgot about the overheating in 70 degree thing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

luchadornado posted:

I just had this happen to me too.

Character: *kill person that fires on then when opening the door*
Character: "Aw gently caress, now I'm so sad I can't even make a brazier to boil water"
Me: "You're literally going to die of dehydration in this brutal 80° Massachusetts summer you loving moron. Build. The. Brazier. Boil the water."
Character: "I can't go on. I'm already dead. I was murdered."
Me: "You just found an alien outpost, killed a bunch of them, and even bit a few of them with your teeth like Arlong from One Piece. You're a badass fish mutant ninja - you can handle this."
Character: *sobs uncontrollably as they stuff books into plastic soda bottles in the corner*

Yeah, psychopath is one of the best traits just for avoiding some of the more bullshit mood penalties.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My druid accomplished her goal of making rich people into sausage so I switched to escaping the island prison. Boy, that sure is a time. After I got off it, I was murdered in a basement I stumbled into to collapse and rest because I didn't realize there was a portal nearby and flying polyps brought the house down around me and sealed me in the basement.

It's so weird to have a character who isn't a psychopathic cannibal again. I got really used to being in a great mood from all the people I ate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I have no idea why I did this, but the name "Hippie Van" always conjures images of the classic Volkswagen Type-2 Bus in my head, but in game its just an every-day minivan. So I made a test world and cut up and rebuilt one into a "proper" VW Bus just to see. Even put the engine in the back and everything. I don't think I can handle the blunt front in MXSotto lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My word are police stations massive ammo pinatas now.

I guess Chief Irons didn't have time to scatter every bullet around like a whimsical hellish ammo fairy in the Cataclysm.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

SKULL.GIF posted:

How exactly does getting proficiency from butchering/dissecting work? I read somewhere that you want to butcher until you get the "Principles of Biology" (or whatever appropriate to the class of monster you're targeting), then dissect that monster type until you get its weak point.

But butchering barely advances my progress towards Principles of Biology, while dissection advances it by 4 to 7% each go.

I don't have a scalpel, but I do have a butchering kit and a xacto knife.

AFAIK, butchering gives little or no proficiency progress compared to dissecting. I just usually collect the first 30 or so zombies I kill into piles and dissect the entire thing w/ a combat knife and usually end up with Principles of Biology finished and the Zombie variant about 50-60% through, with a smattering of the other weakpoints at 1-10% based on whichever specials happened to show up.

Just kind of need to grind it out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Leif. posted:

AFAIK, butchering gives little or no proficiency progress compared to dissecting. I just usually collect the first 30 or so zombies I kill into piles and dissect the entire thing w/ a combat knife and usually end up with Principles of Biology finished and the Zombie variant about 50-60% through, with a smattering of the other weakpoints at 1-10% based on whichever specials happened to show up.

Just kind of need to grind it out.
I would have assumed that would lead to focus dropping quick and progress tanking, does dissection not affect morale the way studying or crafting does?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It isn't that studying and stuff is damaging morale; focus drops because you're gaining EXP in a specific skill. It does not drop from gaining proficiency points from what I can tell. This is why, say, practicing sewing techniques that won't actually gain you Tailoring is great for quickly learning things like leatherworking or stretch fabric. Dissecting just gains proficiency, so focus stays up while it's happening.

Honestly, I feel like the 'exp drops focus' thing could use some reconsidering after they changed how Int affects 'effective' Focus. There's really not much way to keep Focus up if you're doing anything that leads to skill gain and that feels like it's just leading to Morale being pointless much of the time. Sure, I might start with a 115 Focus since I ate a dude and read a nice book, but it's going to drop to 12 almost immediately anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Night10194 posted:

It isn't that studying and stuff is damaging morale; focus drops because you're gaining EXP in a specific skill. It does not drop from gaining proficiency points from what I can tell. This is why, say, practicing sewing techniques that won't actually gain you Tailoring is great for quickly learning things like leatherworking or stretch fabric. Dissecting just gains proficiency, so focus stays up while it's happening.
Huh, I could have sworn practice like that still dropped focus even when you no longer gained skill for it. Maybe I misunderstood what I was doing at the time, the practice system was pretty new last time I tried to analyze what I was doing instead of just going through what I assumed worked.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's irritating that the proficiency menu claims it takes like, for example, 4 hours to learn a given proficiency, but in practice it's closer to 20-30 hours because of how the focus/morale system works.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Turning off the associated skill’s XP gain can help if your doing a craft that still gives do to the skill.

Griz
May 21, 2001

do crops randomly die now? I planted a bunch of stuff and most of it was gone after two days. I thought it might have been the local giant aphids so I killed them all and planted more stuff and a bunch still disappeared.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Griz posted:

do crops randomly die now? I planted a bunch of stuff and most of it was gone after two days. I thought it might have been the local giant aphids so I killed them all and planted more stuff and a bunch still disappeared.

Not yet. It's definitely the aphids, or possibly deer, cows, or other critters.

edit: Just to be sure, what are you planting?

worm girl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 28, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, never seen that happen before. I was going to engage a Zombie Hulk who was throwing an ambulance around, except he somehow caught himself in the middle of the vehicle by destroying some of the frame, so when he tossed it after throwing me away like a rag-doll he uh, ran himself over.

I think the guy skipped leg day and dropped it on himself. Shoulda had a spotter!

Griz
May 21, 2001

worm girl posted:

edit: Just to be sure, what are you planting?

like 20 random fruits/veg, in the last week of spring/first week of summer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Felt my regular game hitting a bit of a mid-game funk but still wanted to play so I decided to start a Sky Island save back up since I’ve gotten adjusted to the game again. First four runs went decent to semi-good but then on the fifth run while otw to an extract, I run into a river. Thankfully, I quickly found a bridge, but realized the other end went into a large city.

I try to carefully pass through the city skirting the coast fighting only when necessary. Ended up popping into a clothes shop because of the temptation to find some storage gear. Didn’t find any but what I did find where some heelies. Cool that might help getting through the city.

Boy they weren’t kidding about those things trashing your ability to fight now. I wasn’t even trying to fight but I mistimed trying to get past a zombie and it got close enough to grab me. I was shocked at how it proceeded to kick my rear end, landing several blows before I could break free, with a small gathering closing in just tiles away. I duck into the closest building, a post office, and rush through to the back hoping to find an exit and end up trapped in an dead end room. At this point I might’ve still been able to fight my way out or at least past the zombies, but in my panic I completely forgot to retract the heely wheels…

First death. First time seeing how scary grabs can be. RIP that nice backpack, hatchet, and M17 pistol+extra mag I had brought. I like that I have been forced/encouraged to play in a riskier way I never would without a time limit on my actions and it’s making me realize how some locations will be very difficult to actually try to loot because I can’t necessarily spend a day or two methodically rendering the area safe (eg: a military base).

Also my character, as always, is nearsighted, and I’m suddenly realizing how critical extra pairs of glasses can be (thankfully I still have my original glasses since I had found some transitions).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 28, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Do zombies decay over time? I've noticed that if I wait until the 2nd day, most zeds I come across have significantly lower health. Right off the bat on day 1 everyone's at full health.

I would assume that they're getting into fights (wasps, fungaloids, dermatiks, etc) but many times I don't see anything like that in the vicinity.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do zombies decay over time? I've noticed that if I wait until the 2nd day, most zeds I come across have significantly lower health. Right off the bat on day 1 everyone's at full health.

I would assume that they're getting into fights (wasps, fungaloids, dermatiks, etc) but many times I don't see anything like that in the vicinity.

There are often humans around when you first roll into a town, and some of them will actually fight back. They typically die fairly quickly, but they'll put some damage on low evolution zombies. Later game if any of them spawn in they die more or less instantly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Galaga Galaxian posted:

First death. First time seeing how scary grabs can be. RIP that nice backpack, hatchet, and M17 pistol+extra mag I had brought. I like that I have been forced/encouraged to play in a riskier way I never would without a time limit on my actions and it’s making me realize how some locations will be very difficult to actually try to loot because I can’t necessarily spend a day or two methodically rendering the area safe (eg: a military base).

Also my character, as always, is nearsighted, and I’m suddenly realizing how critical extra pairs of glasses can be (thankfully I still have my original glasses since I had found some transitions).
It's kind of surprising just how much having a time limit changes the game's difficulty. It made me realize how slow and deliberate my method of clearing areas tends to be, scooting along one road at a time, gradually expanding my clear zone over days or even weeks. Now I'm having to make hard decisions because I can't just take five days to gradually whittle out the nearby mall of zombies before passing by it. I get into danger a lot more, and that plus the "use it or lose it" feeling also has me throwing more grenades and molotovs, firing guns more, and generally not hoarding items I'll never use quite as much as I used to.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 29, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, after 7 runs (including the death) I've got some basic food/drink/meds, and some assorted junk. Have managed to gather 28 warp sharps. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to actually get started with turning this into a somewhat useable hideout. I suppose first order of business is to either find another tent or start gathering materials for building a small shack. Second order I guess is power generation/storage.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Probably a really dumb question but I saw that Sky Island is now going to the mainline branch -- when should that reflect on the Steam version?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leif. posted:

Probably a really dumb question but I saw that Sky Island is now going to the mainline branch -- when should that reflect on the Steam version?

The steam version afaik is only going to update when new Stables come out, so it will probably be a while.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I went in the evac shelter basement with my 3 npcs for a portal storm and ran into the black bear that I hadn't seen outside for a while

it ran into the far corner and stayed there, then I closed the door when the storm was over. is there anything interesting I can do with a basement bear?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Can you have water like in a pond or a pool up on your sky island?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I'm aware of, but you can dig a well. Also a raincatcher with a 200L drum will give you basically infinite water.

It would be interesting if you could make shallow water by digging a pit, lining it with plastic, and then using a big pile of inventory water.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

OwlFancier posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but you can dig a well. Also a raincatcher with a 200L drum will give you basically infinite water.

It would be interesting if you could make shallow water by digging a pit, lining it with plastic, and then using a big pile of inventory water.

Yeah, I'm thinking more for my fish mutant that likes swimming. Turns out you can move your warp statue, admin teleport to the ground, save the game, wipe your maps folder, start the game again, edit the sky island terrain to be a pond or something and you're set.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it would be possible to let you build swimming pool tiles with a bunch of appropriate construction materials, surprised it's not available already tbh.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Griz posted:

I went in the evac shelter basement with my 3 npcs for a portal storm and ran into the black bear that I hadn't seen outside for a while

it ran into the far corner and stayed there, then I closed the door when the storm was over. is there anything interesting I can do with a basement bear?

I feel like the play here is to start building a basement zoo- I don't know if you can make the reinforced glass windows/cages that you sometimes find in laboratories but that'd be the first thing I'd look towards, a cool window setup so you can hang out with your new bear friend without risk of mauling. Then see if you can get a giant wasp, a migo, go for broke and lure a corrosive zombie down there (very bad idea)- the sky is the limit!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

luchadornado posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking more for my fish mutant that likes swimming. Turns out you can move your warp statue, admin teleport to the ground, save the game, wipe your maps folder, start the game again, edit the sky island terrain to be a pond or something and you're set.

Wait is it possible to wipe the overworld map on Sky Island while preserving your island itself? Cause one worry I have about Sky Island is the map bloating to massive filesize and causing performance issues on my aging computer.

Also I skimmed my options for building a structure and I am going to need so many planks and nails. :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you use your warp shards you can build something designed to carry shitloads of wood items, a tree that you can harvest endless logs from, and also something that can carry single huge items like machine tools.

So if you can get your hands on a planer machine you can actually make wood planks fairly quickly on the island.

Nails can be a bugger though yeah, best bet for all of that stuff is to hit a lumber mill if you can, or a construction store, somewhere that will have piles of them lying around.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I know about the warp bags, just intimidated by the scale of the task. I did not see any tree option in the OTHER>WARP menu though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I know about the warp bags, just intimidated by the scale of the task. I did not see any tree option in the OTHER>WARP menu though?

It's in the construction menu, can't remember if you need to craft an item first or whether it's just a pile of plant bits + warp shards?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait is it possible to wipe the overworld map on Sky Island while preserving your island itself? Cause one worry I have about Sky Island is the map bloating to massive filesize and causing performance issues on my aging computer.

I have no idea on that. I imagine there is method to the madness that is the maps dir, but I don't know what it is. I was talking about doing it from a new save.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really glad they added talwars and killijes to the game because they're stylish and handy means to dismember zams. I just think they're cooler than katanas.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh I just realized another reason zombies seem to have less HP as time goes on -- they aren't necessarily in combat, but they're taking passive damage from bush thorns / window shards / barbed wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Griz posted:

like 20 random fruits/veg, in the last week of spring/first week of summer.

I was unable to reproduce this. The likeliest scenario is that an animal with EAT_CROP, a rude zombie, some kind of portal storm BS, or at the outside a save corruption issue, but that last one wouldn't just affect crops.

It's possible something I did broke crops, but I haven't seen any other bug reports and I tested my changes pretty thoroughly.