Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's a shame because I actually liked the old ballpark. It had a state fair theme to it - had character.

The new one looks like something Joel Osteen is eyeing to take over in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
spook rear end stadium

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the rangers stadium looking like an airplane hangar is an incredible homage to the defense contracting industry, a critical sector responsible for immeasurable good and it's great the rangers support it with their in stadium branding

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kirios posted:

It's a shame because I actually liked the old ballpark. It had a state fair theme to it - had character.

The new one looks like something Joel Osteen is eyeing to take over in 20 years.

Yeah, I'm sad I never got there.

I am gonna see Kauffman on Friday, and I think there's a good chance it doesn't get torn down before then. Then Busch III on Saturday. Enemy territory, wish me luck cubsposters.

What hat should I wear for Cubs/Cards at Busch? 2016 championship hat? WS in-game hat? City Connect? Normally in other team's ballparks I wear either a Chicago American Giants hat or like my Fangraphs hat or something, but I need to thumb my nose at the BFIBs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
busch 3 gets incredibly loud and the seats are really close together. it's horrifying.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1683922424557887491

I wasn't actually worried about him not signing because the odds of him coming out ahead financially by going to college were incredibly slim but it's still nice that it's actually done to make the chance zero.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kirios posted:

No but seriously it's the worst looking stadium I've ever seen.

You're preaching to the choir. It IS nice inside, but lmao they built a fuckin shed

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1683936760219463681?s=46&t=EfhXBlOTjLN_O7LrA_QSoA

Deal zone begins?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a feel-good reunion but he's hitting like poo poo this year, hopefully he gets a bump from the familiar vibes

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He's also fielding like poo poo.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
lol at launching your 20 bucks a month to watch the Cubs service…now

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kirios posted:

I loved the old ballpark but man did it get hot as gently caress in there. They had to go dome/retractable roof eventually, I just wish they’d made it look better.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

He's also fielding like poo poo.
but my wife will be happy he's back so it's worth it

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Kris Bryant has a broken finger and is going on the injured list again.

these first two years with the Rockies, he's made approx $100,000 per plate appearance 46M/456PA

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

I admit that I genuinely thought Bryant was going to be a generational talent who'd glide easily into the HoF.

Me too :smith:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

will_colorado posted:

Kris Bryant has a broken finger and is going on the injured list again.

these first two years with the Rockies, he's made approx $100,000 per plate appearance 46M/456PA

The Rockies and Angels should do a Bryant/Rendon swap just for the hell of it.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1683922424557887491

I wasn't actually worried about him not signing because the odds of him coming out ahead financially by going to college were incredibly slim but it's still nice that it's actually done to make the chance zero.

I watched the press conference, the delay was asked about. Both Boras and Falvey danced around it, but affirmed their working relationship was good and nothing was ever really up in the air. Boras also referenced ownership, which makes me think they were involved at some level. I read on Twins Daily (so feel free to fact check, that place is...... lacking) that the Twins are one of a few teams that have never gone over their bonus pool cap. If my understanding is correct, you can go over up to 5%, and the only penalty is a tax (i.e. no lost picks). Going into today, all of the other draftees were signed by the Twins, leaving a set amount available to sign Jenkins (presumably, the pre-draft agreed upon amount). Perhaps Boras challenged them to actually go over in order to sign Jenkins. That's why ownership would be relevant, they would have had to approve the FO going past the cap. I want to be clear, I'm merely speculating at a potential cause of the delay. For all we know, it was simply a matter of getting Boras there in person (he likes to attend these things).

Edit: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-2023-bonus-pools-pick-values
This link confirms some of the things I had read, including that the Rockies and Twins have never gone over their pools. We can easily tell if this was the issue (or at least if the Twins did meet an additional demand) if they do indeed go over this time. Also apparently their last two picks had not signed yet, but they were never going to be prohibitive in regards to Jenkins.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 25, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Didn’t seem like there was a ton of drama with the draft signings this year, one player in the entire first 10 rounds didn’t sign and that was a 10th-rounder

Braves lost a 12th rounder I think

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1683951416052797441

I like this return for the Red Sox. Lord knows they need more bullpen help, and with Story due back soon they were going to have to something with the glut of mediocre to bad middle infielders they've collected this season.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I'd agree - both guys are decent reliever prospects. I'm surprised Enrique is worth anything beyond ~cash considerations~

Kirios fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The cardinals have decided they would prefer to keep Tyler O’Neil and sign Jordan hicks to an extension rather than trade them which screams to me that they aren’t getting the offers they want on guys. Countdown to mozeliak standing pat at the deadline and giving a great interview where he says the market just wasn’t there

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

Yeah I'd agree - both guys are decent reliever prospects. I'm surprised Kike is worth anything beyond ~cash considerations~

You gotta use the é, man. It’s just a long-press over the e on iOS and Android.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There, I edited it to the name I recognize him as when he was an Astros prospect.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's strange that the accent mark goes over the e. Sounds like it should go over the i.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

live with fruit posted:

It's strange that the accent mark goes over the e. Sounds like it should go over the i.

He has said as much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUYcXyXVwbI&t=78s
(timestamped)

quote:

"...Kiké got an accent ... over the e, even though it should go over the i..."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

There, I edited it to the name I recognize him as when he was an Astros prospect.

I mean you could just do the thing I suggested since that’s the name he uses and isn’t a slur.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
This droid seems to be the property of an Enrique Hernandez. I wonder if he means Kiké Hernandez.

(Your av gave me the idea, lol)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The cardinals have decided they would prefer to keep Tyler O’Neil and sign Jordan hicks to an extension rather than trade them which screams to me that they aren’t getting the offers they want on guys. Countdown to mozeliak standing pat at the deadline and giving a great interview where he says the market just wasn’t there

We haven't been too lucky this year so we are looking ahead to 2024 and like our roster

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

think the Braves are going to tee off on Pavetta or the rest of the pen at some point here but Charlie's gotta keep from getting demolished first

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

think the Braves are going to tee off on Pavetta or the rest of the pen at some point here but Charlie's gotta keep from getting demolished first
Remember when the Phillies traded him to improve their dreadful bullpen in the middle of a series with the Braves and they immediately teed off on the relievers Boston sent

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Remember when the Phillies traded him to improve their dreadful bullpen in the middle of a series with the Braves and they immediately teed off on the relievers Boston sent

lol yes and thank you for salvaging my wrong thread post

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cooperlund/status/1684010282341867521

OOOHHH NOOOOO

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

OOOHHH NOOOOO
this was :perfect:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Bawfuls I’m going to Jays/Dodgers tomorrow, anywhere around Union Station I should get lunch at? I don’t mind a walk.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

lmao almost as good as Jose Canseco taking one off the head

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
No it's not

It's nowhere near as good

This is ridiculous

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Please god just let Shohei believe in this team more than I do

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gerblederp posted:

Bawfuls I’m going to Jays/Dodgers tomorrow, anywhere around Union Station I should get lunch at? I don’t mind a walk.
The close classic would be Philippe's, over 100 years old and claims to have invented the french dip sandwich.

If you have more time and want a bit more modern/variety, I really like the Angry Egret Dinette in Chinatown. It's one stop north of Union Station on the gold line metro or just under a mile walk.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

bawfuls posted:

The close classic would be Philippe's, over 100 years old and claims to have invented the french dip sandwich.

If you have more time and want a bit more modern/variety, I really like the Angry Egret Dinette in Chinatown. It's one stop north of Union Station on the gold line metro or just under a mile walk.

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

:sickos: