Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'll never stop stanning for Stroud

unless he's bad and then forget I said this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Silly Burrito posted:

Hope you draft auction

Nah I always go for snake but I can still hope.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Assuming a single QB league you could reasonably get Kelce in the first and Mahomes in the second, no auction needed.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Ayudo posted:

1. Kelce,
2. Andrews,

a big gap

3. Hockenson,
4. Pitts,
5. Freiermuth.

That's the whole list.

Edit: Shultz is your $1 punt the position guy.

I'd stick Goedert in that 3-5 area personally

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think it will be long for Kincaid to be there. I also really like Sam LaPorta

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The real answer to $1 tight end once again is Michael J Gesicki (and Dalton Schultz)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spoeank posted:

The real answer to $1 tight end once again is Michael J Gesicki (and Dalton Schultz)

Literally my two TEs in dynasty

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zach Ertz was the best $4 I ever spent on a TE last year before he died. :sigh:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Someone tell me who to draft #2 overall in dynasty. My needs are: best available player. Please help, I can't look at Michael Gallup anymore

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Poque posted:

Someone tell me who to draft #2 overall in dynasty. My needs are: best available player. Please help, I can't look at Michael Gallup anymore

You should trade back to 8th in a 1 for 1 deal

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Poque posted:

Gibbs, assuming Bijan goes 1

helps a bunch that he is a great receiver and playing for Detroit. I took him and I can't wait for preseason. There really isn't a Jamarr Chase in this class.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 22, 2023

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

AR if you're Superflex, Gibbs if you're not.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

edit: lol of course after I post this glowing review the app is not working for me today. Guessing it's like 1 dude and his AWS instance crashed or something

Last night I was looking for a resource to mock draft best ball cause I’m interested in messing around with it but don’t want to throw away money getting my feet wet. I found this “mock ball” app on Reddit and it kicks rear end. I think it would work fine for mocking normal redraft leagues on the shitter, too.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mock-ball/id6450122996

I think there’s an android version too. I have no affiliation with it at all so hopefully it’s not a Russian virus or something but it seems fine. There’s no login and it didn’t ask for any special permissions or anything.

Supposedly it keeps ADP up to date. It’s obviously not perfect cause it doesn’t mimic what real people will be doing, building stacks and correlating players. So if you have JJ and Hockenson you are going to have to reach for Cousins to finish your stack or he’ll get auto drafted. Whereas it’s pretty unlikely a human is going to snipe naked Kirk Cousins and you could wait.

But on the macro level I love it. Really helpful for seeing what kinds of guys go in each phase and what it feels like to start heavy WR or RB or Kelce/Mahomes. I wish you could filter the player list by team in addition to position but otherwise I love this thing.

Also useful for surfacing which guys I have zero opinion on yet. I keep getting to a range where all the Miami RBs are there and I’m like :shrug:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A dynasty spot just opened up for me

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1683462216845258752

not that, you know, I was ever going to start Hines

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
Anyone interested in joining a free 16 team yahoo dynasty league? Looks like we have 4 open spots. The slow draft might be a bit of a gong show with yahoo getting rid of message boards

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So I got Chase first round and Burrow fifth round last year, and am strongly tempted to draft both again for the weekly bong hit that is watching the two of them make sweet love each week. Talk me out of it, because it feels so wrong!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cnidario posted:

So I got Chase first round and Burrow fifth round last year, and am strongly tempted to draft both again for the weekly bong hit that is watching the two of them make sweet love each week. Talk me out of it, because it feels so wrong!

I see no reason not to. They're both fantastic picks, high ceiling high floor. And the offense runs through them so if one goes off so does the other. One of the best stacks you could ask for.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Pain of Mind posted:

I would be pretty comfortable with Kittle, Hockenson, Goedert, or Schultz over Andrews.

the ignoring of Kittle I'm seeing here from most is astounding. I'm always pretty sad when I don't get at least Kittle. Then it's wait until you get Gerald Everett time.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Docjowles posted:

I see no reason not to. They're both fantastic picks, high ceiling high floor. And the offense runs through them so if one goes off so does the other. One of the best stacks you could ask for.

I guess it’ll depend on the draft order as well, since no doubt other folks in my league want Chase after seeing him destroy their teams last year. I may end up going to Higgins and Burrow if he gets gobbled up

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

EconDad posted:

the ignoring of Kittle I'm seeing here from most is astounding. I'm always pretty sad when I don't get at least Kittle. Then it's wait until you get Gerald Everett time.

Kittle is awesome but the QB is a huge question mark. Just letting you know why he's getting ignored

edit: and I'm not saying it is right. He was the #2 TE last season. But there is a reason, for instance, that ESPN's projections compared to last season are significantly lower.

Again, not saying it will be right.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 25, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kittle also WENT OFF in the fantasy playoffs. Which is awesome, that's exactly what you want! The guy who won $2 million in Best Ball Mania last year had Kittle. But he was also just "fine" for the rest of the season. If you look at him next to like Juwan Johnson it's not that different. If you flipped his performances from weeks 1-3 with 15-17 no one would remember or care what he did in 2022.

That ceiling is of course why you'd draft Kittle. Very few dudes can do that. But if he doesn't hit that nut outcome you've spent a lot of resources on similar production to a guy who was free on waivers. Last year he had 11 touchdowns, and his previous best was 6. That's likely to regress and I think that's why people aren't just smashing Kittle. I'm not saying he's a bad pick or anything just that there's a reason he's not right next to Kelce in the ranks.

kiimo's chart is the TLDR of my post heh

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Kittle's biggest issue for production this season is target competition. I think ESPN's 80 target projection is fairly reasonable if we start the season with all of McCaffery, Deebo, and Aiyuk healthy.

Going back to 2012, every top 3 TE has at least 100 targets or 11+ TDs. So, betting on Kittle to finish top 3 is betting on an 11 TD repeat season.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kittle always misses time too. He' an awesome player but you're definitely gonna lose him for a stretch.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I ride the Kittle wave almost every year. Typically better than the alternative. Mark Andrews was a dud last year. Had him in a league. No fun.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
ALERT

Jimmy Graham has signed with the saints. He’s 73 years old. Drop your best player and scoop.

END ALERT

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

One dude in my main league always makes a comedy pick in the last round to drop for a kicker later (at least I think it’s on purpose; he’s always blackout drunk by then so hard to say). Like Tebow or Kaepernick or some other weirdo who’s inexplicably in the ESPN player pool.

So I look forward to being in the 0.001% of leagues where Old Man Graham is drafted :cheers:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, three things:

1. Mark Andrews is a DEXCOM Warrior with powerful car wash vacuum tubes for hands. He still retains all the insane talent and only fell off a cliff because the Ravens had to field their backup QB who insisted on following his reads and other nonsense instead of Lamar Jackson's go to plan of "if the first read breaks down and I can't run then throw it to a triple covered Mark Andrews for easy yards."

I don't care if Oldell is there or if the Ravens line up 5 pro bowl WRs every play. LJ is still going to force it to Andrews every time his first read breaks down and there's a spy. MAndrews is easy money at his current ADP.

2. Last year Sataere and I ran an "intro to auction" league for people that wanted to try the (best) draft format but had trepidation about testing the waters. We streamed the draft and gave everyone commentary and advice to maximize their team and even the playing field.

I'm running this back for 2023, as there's been a lot of interest in our Discord. If anyone here has never done auction and would be interested in this league, message me. Entry fee would be a nominal $5 or $10.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 26, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

3. Welcome to the best pasttime on Earth! Could you post your leagues scoring settings and how many of each position you can start?

ESPN rankings are always notoriously funky, I've already written one article on their 2023 weirdness. What could seem like a joke setting "just for laughs" could have season winning potential. Plus if there's something weird like "you can start 2 QBs" it completely changes how you want to draft.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh and for the new-to-auction league, Sataere and I have a rule if we win any money (neither of us did last year). It's either donate it to charity or toss it into the prize pool for next year, I forget which. We just want to get more people falling in love with the auction format.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

quick question:

the setup: keeper league w/ an auction draft. i'm likely keeping tyreek at $28 and christian watson at $15 already.

was offered $19 metcalf for my $29 etienne.

based on everything i know, and all the rankings i can find, and all the nffc results, this appears to be a no-brainer accept for me. like, metcalf goes a round or three earlier than etienne in almost every league from what i can tell, so even if they were priced the same, i should do this. then you throw in that metcalf's cheaper...and it seems like a massive must accept.

what am i missing?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

quick question:

the setup: keeper league w/ an auction draft. i'm likely keeping tyreek at $28 and christian watson at $15 already.

was offered $19 metcalf for my $29 etienne.

based on everything i know, and all the rankings i can find, and all the nffc results, this appears to be a no-brainer accept for me. like, metcalf goes a round or three earlier than etienne in almost every league from what i can tell, so even if they were priced the same, i should do this. then you throw in that metcalf's cheaper...and it seems like a massive must accept.

what am i missing?

4for4's ADP tool https://www.4for4.com/adp has these guys going more or less back to back at 31 and 33 for ETN and DK respectively.

That said, I'd do this trade provided the ~$10 savings can be put toward a top end player and they aren't just all being kept. Auction prices at the top end can be driven really really high when you factor in added scarcity/savings from keepers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'd take the trade. Unless everyone is keeping RBs and you are going to be forced to replace Etienne with someone way way worse.

A 1-2 of Hill and DK is really nice, and you can invest that extra $10 in shoring RB back up

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks--accepted.

yea, it's a really weird league. first off, budget's $225, so each dollar has more value. and second, rosters are...odd.

1qb
2rb
3wr
1te
3flex
1superflex

sooooo, yea. always good to have as many top end dudes given how thin rosters can get. last season was my first in the league, and some weeks, it was difficult to find guys who would see at least some snaps.

that $10 should help, no doubt.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 26, 2023

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Drunk Nerds posted:

1. Mark Andrews is a DEXCOM Warrior with powerful car wash vacuum tubes for hands. He still retains all the insane talent and only fell off a cliff because the Ravens had to field their backup QB who insisted on following his reads and other nonsense instead of Lamar Jackson's go to plan of "if the first read breaks down and I can't run then throw it to a triple covered Mark Andrews for easy yards."

Injuries derailed Mandrews' season. He had a knee injuries week 7-9 + 11 (reported) and a concurrent shoulder injury, but he just didn't look right the rest of the season regardless of who was QB.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh yea, now that i think about it, any preference on keeping $15 london or $15 christian watson? watson seems like the better play to me, but throwing this out there for dissents.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Holy crap that's wild heh, starting up to 6 WRs? At that point you're elated to have the WR3 on the Falcons cause at least he's technically running routes. Do you get PPR? That at least expands the pool of useful players.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yes, it is a .25ppr league.

i learned last year that wide receivers are easily the most valuable players in this league. if only i had drafted a halfway decent second qb i'd have been fine. thought i'd be able to find a decent one during the season, but that's didn't pan out. garoppolo going down did me in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

Holy crap that's wild heh, starting up to 6 WRs? At that point you're elated to have the WR3 on the Falcons cause at least he's technically running routes. Do you get PPR? That at least expands the pool of useful players.
I'm in three dynasty leagues that all start that and I love it. 12 teamers, too.

abelwingnut posted:

oh yea, now that i think about it, any preference on keeping $15 london or $15 christian watson? watson seems like the better play to me, but throwing this out there for dissents.
I feel like its a push. Both catching passes from inexperienced QBs, both teams will probably be run first. In 4 games with Ridder throwing last year, London didnt have fewer than 8 targets. At 0.25 PPR (essentially none lol) I really cant say. If it were my decision it would be London because he was the better draft prospect and was more consistent last year and without Rodgers I expect Watson to not improve as much as London would from year 1 to year 2.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

I lean Watson with the caveat that both of these guys are at the mercy of some possibly very brutal QB situations.

Although I'd guess Ridder/Heinicke is probably a better QB room then whatever the packers might have to roll out behind Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit late to the party but I've got some advice that wasn't expressed by anyone else and took me a while to understand, when I first started playing;

you have to start a certain number of dudes in each position, and that means that positional superiority is more important than overall superiority, mostly. What I mean is, OK, maybe in your league there's QBs who score 35 points and others who score 30 points and some that score 25 etc. etc. And maybe also in your league there's RBs that score 20 points max, and then some that score 15, and some 10, etc. etc. This disparity in top points does not mean that QBs are more important than RBs! In fact if you have to start 2 RBs but only start one QB, your second RB is probably more important than your starting QB. Because what you care about is how badly the falloff is between the top score at that position and what you're going to score with your guys. In each matchup between you and another owner in your league, the win or loss will come from the cumulative advantage or disadvantage you have at each starting spot. A big advantage in one spot outweighs a small disadvantage in one other spot.

This is why Kelce is so valuable: he stands alone at the top of the TE list and there's a steep dropoff after him. So with each weekly matchup, you just get an automatic five to fifteen point advantage at that position against an opponent who has otherwise identically-scoring players and, say, the fifth-best TE in the league instead of Kelce.

All of the above is over-simplified, but it's part of why your league's scoring and roster structure matters so much. The steepness of the dropoff from the top guy to the guys who are like 10th affects the premium you get from grabbing one of the dudes in the very top of the league at their position.

Secondary to the above is that if you stake your entire team on having the one super best guy, and he gets hurt, you could wind up trashed for the season. People have won leagues by having four top-ten guys instead of one top-one guy when the top-one guy gets hurt. So if someone else grabs Kelce, that doesn't mean you should just totally ignore the TE position... but it does mean that if you have a chance to grab a top five RB and you just miss on Kelce, grab that RB. Nobody here really knows who will be the #2-3 TE, and in many years some random loving guy you could pick up off waivers week 5 just turns out to be the safety valve on a poo poo team with a poo poo QB and gets a billion points and winds up the TE3 in the league. Happens a lot. It's especially hard to pick the #5-#12th TEs in fantasy before the season starts. Too many TEs just wind up blocking all year, or some guy who is supposed to just be blocking suddenly gets 8 targets a game.

This feeds into the advice others gave to "just pay attention", that includes watching the free agents for someone who is having a breakout and grab them before anyone else does. "Streaming" is the practice of just grabbing dudes off waivers every week, for one or two weeks, and then dropping them again, and you can totally stream TEs instead of dedicating roster space to that guy who was this year's TE12 by ADP pre-season and you might outperform or maybe just underperform that guy by 1-4 points a week. TE is like that due to the huge falloff from the top handful.

Last bit of advice is something I still haven't been able to personally commit to, and that's don't fall in love with your dudes. You need to be willing to let go of a player who you really like as a player, like you enjoy watching them play, but who just isn't earning you the fantasy points. At least if you care about winning. If you just want to have the guys you like on your team so you can cheer for them on TV that's fine and a legit way to play fantasy... but if you do what I did when I got started and watch all your guys on TV and find out hey this dude is great I like him he has charisma and spunk, you might wind up keeping him while that coach just doesn't give him the touches he deserves and his QB is inaccurate and they have a tough season and at the end of the year he averaged you 6.4 points per game and there were dudes on the waiver all year who did better than that.

If you can, separate your feelings about which players deserve recognition from which players earn points, now, this season. This goes for good guys who aren't getting the points and also for bad players who are inexplicably scoring, probably due to situation. It doesn't matter if you think a guy sucks, when he's getting cheap touchdowns, it doesn't matter if a guy is butterfingers dropping half his passes if he's getting 20 targets a game; start the guys who are scoring.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 26, 2023