Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Taear posted:

Okay so it is just being annoying then

Every other country in the world will try and make it so their posts are understood universally. America doesn't care. And man saying you think of your age in terms of your school years generally is just bizarre. It makes it sound as well like you only care about the understanding of other americans??

This post and your other whining posts are worse than anything in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Taear posted:

You know what, I'm honestly not sure. I just do not think of my childhood in relation to what year I was in at school.
I think "I was 11 when Diana died and kinda annoyed that they were taking cartoons off TV" I don't think "I was in year 6" (I'm not sure what year I was in at all honestly)

It’s normal to think about one’s life story in terms of rites of passage (even if one is not familiar with the term it is part of the way we tell our stories about ourselves to ourselves) and school graduations can be rites of passage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Secret Invasion Twitter put out a bunch of messages, then quickly edited or deleted them and replaced them with redacted copies.

https://twitter.com/SecretInvasion/status/1683900099657883650

Here's what the unredacted versions said:

quote:

Everything hangs in the balance now. Our species is close to finding a home, but humans are not as accepting. It seems that a war may be upon us.

Are you ready for the fight that lies ahead? We must do what is necessary for our people to thrive. Humans are the cause of our struggles - do you really think we can live in peace?

The call has been received.

We are all fighting for a new home. Are you in or are you out? We must choose an ally carefully, or we might watch as they turn into an enemy before our eyes.

Who will do what is needed to build a new world? Only you can decide who you will put your faith in. Who will you trust?

We cannot sit by with only hope any longer. We must act. The new age is beginning.

Sounds like some generic rebel Skrull/Gravik perspective in writing? Doesn't really give anything away or point to anything that I can tell.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

The early D+ shows had a problem of 5 great episodes and then loving up the dismount

This one, well, I'm genuinely excited to see if they still manage to drop the ball despite there being zero stakes

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s normal to think about one’s life story in terms of rites of passage (even if one is not familiar with the term it is part of the way we tell our stories about ourselves to ourselves) and school graduations can be rites of passage.

I mean sure, when you leave school or university or etc. Not every year though. Unless you graduate every year??

Super Deuce posted:

This is weird. Also, I see posts of people talking about “college” which doesn’t refer to what we consider “college” in the US a lot. People use colloquialisms. Would it be uncouth to use regional idioms on the Internet? It’s done all the time, by people of all regions. I’ve never seen anybody complain about someone from the UK talking about the boot of their car.

No this is more like americans saying things in farenheit or something like that
A strange measurement, rather than a colloquialism.

Sockser posted:

This one, well, I'm genuinely excited to see if they still manage to drop the ball despite there being zero stakes

I can't see how it can POSSIBLY be anything other than a wet fart. An end that means nothing from a show that meant nothing

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's what the unredacted versions said:

quote:

Everything hangs in the balance now. Our species is close to finding a home, but humans are not as accepting. It seems that a war may be upon us.

Are you ready for the fight that lies ahead? We must do what is necessary for our people to thrive. Humans are the cause of our struggles - do you really think we can live in peace?

The call has been received.

We are all fighting for a new home. Are you in or are you out? We must choose an ally carefully, or we might watch as they turn into an enemy before our eyes.

Who will do what is needed to build a new world? Only you can decide who you will put your faith in. Who will you trust?

We cannot sit by with only hope any longer. We must act. The new age is beginning.
Sounds like some generic rebel Skrull/Gravik perspective in writing? Doesn't really give anything away or point to anything that I can tell.
LOL I know the joke has been made about the show being AI-written in addition to just the intro sequence, but hoo boy does that feel like someone asked ChatGPT to write that.

EDIT: Hmm, I think I'll try that out.

(quick and sloppy prompt): write a 5-sentence call to action to other Skrulls from the perspective of a Skrull who has to live in hiding but wants to live in their own skin and have their own world, while warning about humans who would betray them

ChatGPT posted:

Attention fellow Skrulls, hear my plea! We must unite and embrace our true forms, shedding the burden of hiding in plain sight.
It's time to reclaim our identity and build a world where we can flourish as ourselves.
Beware the treacherous humans who have a history of betraying us, blending in among us, and seeking to exploit our vulnerability.
Let us cast aside fear and stand together, revealing our strength and ingenuity.
Together, we can forge a future where we thrive as Skrulls, free from the shadows and fully in control of our destiny.
Embrace who you are, for in unity lies our ultimate power!

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 25, 2023

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

maybealabia posted:

Assuming anyone has genuine curiosity rather than commonwealth curmudgeonliness, here's an explanation. If you just want to be mad at Americans, there's plenty to choose from that won't make you look like a giant idiot to focus on.

The culture is what it is. We don't do it to annoy you and we sure as gently caress aren't going to change the entire way we think about ourselves to make your understanding of our childhoods easier.

Forget it maybelabia. It's Commonwealthers on Internet.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
is it really that surprising that we would associate memories with stages of life rather than specific ages

you spend a shitload of your time at school in your youth. i had a friend named victor who used to bring white onions to school and eat them like apples. i know immediately that that occurred in 2nd grade but i'd have to calculate my age cause gently caress if i know

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Forget it maybelabia. It's Commonwealthers on Internet.

I mean I gave it a legit try but the response was that millions of people understand their childhood wrong on purpose to annoy people who use Celsius so lmao

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

maybealabia posted:

I mean I gave it a legit try but the response was that millions of people understand their childhood wrong on purpose to annoy people who use Celsius so lmao

I appreciated the effort and thought the entire tangent was a fascinating look into shared experiences. You get a whole other outlook on life with mixed age classes and school systems that get reformed too often.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's a lot easier to remember who was present and which room an event happened in versus your exact age at the time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

maybealabia posted:

What, that's not what I'm saying at all.
I'm saying "It is strange that Americans use their school system instead of saying their age when nobody else does this"

It's funny that you don't usually see Americans on TV do it, but in casual speech it's an absolute constant. I'm not saying "Americans do it to annoy me" I just think it's bizarre and it's just as annoying as when something casually drops Farenheit or a recipe uses cups.

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1683980564750016513?s=20 anyway, look what they did
It's a while since I saw a direct advert on RT for a TV show

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 26, 2023

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Taear posted:

I'm saying "It is strange that Americans use their school system instead of saying their age when nobody else does this"

Except people from other countries do that as well. As I said before, "college" will be used by people in the context of their age in countries where it doesn't mean "university". "Primary school" is often used the same way. It really just feels like you are upset that Americans use the terms they use.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Taear posted:

It's funny that you don't usually see Americans on TV do it, but in casual speech it's an absolute constant. I'm not saying "Americans do it to annoy me" I just think it's bizarre and it's just as annoying as when something casually drops Farenheit or a recipe uses cups.

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1683980564750016513?s=20 anyway, look what they did

Is this supposed to make me interested?

If I haven't watched the show, this looks like nothing.
If I fell off the show after two episodes, this looks like nothing.
If I've watched all five episodes, this just makes me set my expectations extra low.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sockser posted:

If I've watched all five episodes, this just makes me set my expectations extra low.

Hey, it's two people having a conversation in a room. A problem only Nick Fury could fix, no other superhero could have tackled this world-ending threat of... [checks notes] one bad Skrull in a nice coat.

Lol that they are showing the ending is literally going to be Fury faking radiation poisoning and the final confrontation taking place *very* conveniently in the super Skrull machine so the villain can be tricked into killing himself. Probably those "pills" were explosives, and when Gravik goes to fully super Skrull himself with the Avenger DNA it'll take him out. And we'll be all tutting about "yeah, but what if they met in literally any other room" and gently caress this piece of poo poo show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Super Deuce posted:

Except people from other countries do that as well. As I said before, "college" will be used by people in the context of their age in countries where it doesn't mean "university". "Primary school" is often used the same way. It really just feels like you are upset that Americans use the terms they use.

Most of the time if someone uses college they're talking about it in the US terms. And - those are often used in a sense of "I did this thing while I was there" instead of "this is a way to identify what age I am"

Sockser posted:

It's such a strange flat thing for them to do. I watched it for a little thinking it was actually satirical and not a real clip

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Taear posted:

It's funny that you don't usually see Americans on TV do it, but in casual speech it's an absolute constant. I'm not saying "Americans do it to annoy me" I just think it's bizarre and it's just as annoying as when something casually drops Fahrenheit or a recipe uses cups.

So we need to change the name of that one Ray Bradbury book to Celsius 232.778? Also, fair warning, if you're getting a recipe from me you're getting it in cups, teaspoons, tablespoons and pinches.

But yeah, having missed the previous 4.25 episode of this, I'm fine missing this one too.

Still just "Wow" that the "Sam Jackson as badass secret agent Nick Fury taking on aliens" show was just so... bleh.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Sure is cool the guy whose whole thing is "we want to be free to live in our own skin" spends all his time in human form in his secret base.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

Sure is cool the guy whose whole thing is "we want to be free to live in our own skin" spends all his time in human form in his secret base.

Yeah, but if I was Kingsley Ben-Adir I'd prefer to look like Kingsley Ben-Adir instead Kingsley Ben-Adir who can't see, walk or breathe after 18 hours of Skrull make up.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Okay. I'll bite. What pills are Fury taking that a swig from a flask also does the trick? Is he fighting sobriety? Has this entire show been a botched intervention? I've only seen the first episode.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
He's just doing the villain thing of offering James Bond a drink.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Inkspot posted:

Okay. I'll bite. What pills are Fury taking that a swig from a flask also does the trick? Is he fighting sobriety? Has this entire show been a botched intervention? I've only seen the first episode.

It's an old nuclear plant, and those are anti-radiation pills.

Please note that he did not need to take any kind of anti-radiation treatment for the dirty bombs he was exposed to in the first episode.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Iodine pills. I think Gravik even made an iodine pills joke, last episode.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hope they go the Metal Gear Solid V route and reveal that this is just some random Skrull who's convinced himself that he's Nick Fury after getting hit in the head with a space coconut. The real Fury is still out there, actually being effective somewhere.

The show should have just been eight hours of Samuel L. Jackson and Don Cheadle drinking bourbon without any white people around.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Iodine pills. I think Gravik even made an iodine pills joke, last episode.

So straight-up Red Scare. Great. Very topical.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

The show should have just been eight hours of Samuel L. Jackson and Don Cheadle drinking bourbon without any white people around.

:emptyquote:

But seriously six hours of two relatively straight-men-types in positions of power just sitting around talking about "man, poo poo sure got hosed real fast, huh?" would have been miles and leagues better than this shitshow

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*sigh*

Well, time to be underwhelmed yet again.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Oh no not Russian tanks on the Ukrainian border!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So, uh, why did G'iah make a heartfelt goodbye phone call to Fury's wife from the power station?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It’s so bad. My god, no matter how poo poo you thought the ending could be — it’s worse.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Firebert posted:

It’s so bad. My god, no matter how poo poo you thought the ending could be — it’s worse.

Faaaart.

Seriously?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ninurta posted:

Faaaart.

Seriously?

Yep.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sywnzbcjabo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtIqqJXqHw

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Two hundred and fifty million United States dollars.

Edit: It's such a nice round number. A billion is 4 Secret Invasions. Patrick Mahomes signed a 2 Secret Invasion contract, etc.

dingo with a joint fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 26, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aw, shucks, folks, don't keep me in suspense, how was it?!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Rings are genetic, I guess.

Edit: Also I always assumed that Drax had been ritually scarified as part of his whole warrior shtick, but apparently not.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Secret Wars started off boring, then brightened up a little around episode 4, and has ended in just the most bizarre and ludicrous way possible.

So... Giah is now just casually ambling around with the power of literally every single character that was in Endgame, and (somehow) even some that weren't??

The President of the United States has declared a loving holocaust on the Skrulls, so he's essentially going to try and make an entire alien refugee species extinct?? Does nobody apart from Fury making a two-minute phone call have anything to say about this??

They're not going to tell us how long Rhodes was replaced by a Skrull, apart from "a long time"??

Why did Sonia not just immediately blow Skrull Rhodes' head off, what did she or anyone gain from that drawn out scene in the hospital where it was so important that POTUS believed their story??

OMG it only just occurred to me that Fury's arc in this series is a complete circle, he literally ends it exactly where he started. The whole thing kicked off because he abandoned the Skrulls on Earth then hosed off into space, then it ends with him abandoning the Skrulls on Earth IN AN EVEN WORSE SITUATION, THEY ARE ALL BEING EXCECUTED WITHOUT TRIAL UNDER THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, in order to gently caress off into space :sickos:

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 26, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Did Olivia Colman end up having any point being in this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rarity posted:

Did Olivia Colman end up having any point being in this series?

She probably got a decent paycheck for it!

Other than that, no. Which is a shame, because the show would’ve benefitted from having more of her character in it.