Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

yeah what's up with tear here stuff? I swear this poo poo used to work fine. now I just get out scissors every time. did they have to make them bullshit because too many people were just hulking out and tearing it apart or something? it's like less than useless now.

Sorry, had to innovate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Those built in zip locs are awful, just get a bunch of these

what are they called? also is any dropship random letter brand/seller good or is there a real and good brand/company that makes them?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

PhazonLink posted:

what are they called? also is any dropship random letter brand/seller good or is there a real and good brand/company that makes them?

Bevara clips from ikea

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PhazonLink posted:

I'd imagine any household supply store should sell them, but if not IKEA carries them as Bevara clips, and they are like 100 for 10 cents so it's not really worth hunting for deals, lol

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

steinrokkan posted:

Those built in zip locs are awful, just get a bunch of these

There are two similar products I highly recommend.
https://www.amazon.com/Clip-n-Seal-Bag-Clips-Color-Pack/dp/B017L27NW2
They come in multiple variety of size and color.

Another are similar and called banana seals.

Kind of pricey, but mine have lasted a long time and they're extremely durable.

If you buy the long ones you can slice them down into a few smaller custom sizes. Just make sure to leave an extra inch on the inner rod to make removing easier.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wanna hear more about this coffee maker.

It's a vending machine like this.

But with the coin slot covered up and connected to a screen and fingerprint reader on the counter next to it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do they think people are getting cups of coffee and taking them home or something?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't mind me pulling up with my truck and filling up my tank with delicious java

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I remember when my mom worked at a hospital in the ‘80s, and the cafeteria had one of those old-school simple 25 cent coffee vending machines with three buttons on it: coffee, hot chocolate, and hot water. The hot chocolate that came out of that thing was nothing short of GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING INCREDIBLE. You could even add mini marshmallows to it if you wanted!

Young Elf drank his fair share of hot chocolate whenever I’d visit mom at work :coffeepal:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

At my tech company, management had the genius idea of saving money by not keeping the coffee machines stocked. Now, because management pinched those pennies, the very expensive software engineers spend 15 minutes waiting in line at the barista instead 30 seconds at the machine.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Dip Viscous posted:

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

I was reading this and I thought you were just being colorful in the first half, but no...this thing actually exists.

I have no idea who the gently caress would either make this, or buy it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

VikingofRock posted:

At my tech company, management had the genius idea of saving money by not keeping the coffee machines stocked. Now, because management pinched those pennies, the very expensive software engineers spend 15 minutes waiting in line at the barista instead 30 seconds at the machine.

Start looking for a new job asap. No joke, coffee machine stock issues is high up on the list of red flags that a tech company is about to die

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I used to work for a manufacturing company that did not give a poo poo about their employees but even they had sense enough to price the vending machine coffee at $0.10 a cup. This was about a decade ago.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sentient Data posted:

Start looking for a new job asap. No joke, coffee machine stock issues is high up on the list of red flags that a tech company is about to die

Literally any company.

Talk of layoffs: Eh, maybe dust off the resume.
No more coffee: All hands abandon ship.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And of course it's been pointed out that that's the point. They don't cut perks to save money, that cut perks to get people to leave without severance

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sentient Data posted:

About 25 years ago there was a streaming radio station named Talkspot. Literally like just week or so before the company shut down one of the hosts of a show was commenting about how they'd raised the prices on all the vending machines in the snack room.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

You Are A Elf posted:

Milk containers suck poo poo now. The old gallon jugs had a piece of the cap scored with a pull tab so you just very easily pulled the scored piece of cap off and BOOM, your milk is ready to be enjoyed. I hate that little thing under the cap now that’s supposed to peel off the tamper-proof membrane, but 9 times out of 10 just rips right off and you have to stab the membrane and peel it off with your fingers. I have a pretty strong grip and even I have trouble removing that drat thing. I can’t imagine how much harder it must be for elderly people with arthritis and the like.

It’s not just milk, either, but orange juice, tea, and anything else that comes in a one gallon jug.

Bit late but I run into that poo poo so often at work I've started calling it vestigial ergonomics for lack of a better term, handles that have become too small for human hands or can longer bear the weight of the product tear strips that no longer tear peel here labels that no longer peel, they all worked when the product run started but as time goes on they all shrink and become non functional.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

yeah what's up with tear here stuff? I swear this poo poo used to work fine. now I just get out scissors every time. did they have to make them bullshit because too many people were just hulking out and tearing it apart or something? it's like less than useless now.

On a similar note, I swear they're using a worse glue or cheaper cardboard on the majority of single play carboard food boxes (e.g. cereal boxes). Typically, the top is two overlapping flaps glued together, with the idea being that you pull the top flap away from the bottom breaking the glue. But these days it's a coin flip whether the bottom of the top flap just stays adhered to the glue and you instead pull the top flap cleanly in half into a useless top half and bottom half that's still keeping the box closed. At this point the only way to open the box is to tear poo poo up, ruining the re-closability. There was always a chance of this happening, but now it's constant.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Someone in another thread referred to fake "tear here" marks as liar packaging, and that's the term I've used since.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are telling not to buy their garbage packaged food.

If they are cheating out of the packaging imagine what they do or don’t do to the food

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I briefly worked at a place that made little bags of pepperoni and standard operating procedure for dealing with bags of moldy or rotten beef and pork was to mix it in with a few good batches and hope nobody noticed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Have we talked about furniture itt yet?

I know a lot of the problem here is over logging and general forest destruction, but your choices for a bookshelf are a cheap $150 piece of poo poo that bends into a u shape as soon as you put books on it, or a $2000 piece of poo poo that is painted to look like real wood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ikanreed posted:

And of course it's been pointed out that that's the point. They don't cut perks to save money, that cut perks to get people to leave without severance

So when they cut the coffee, attempt to unionize, either you get the coffee back OR are enough of a nuisance you get fired and can sue for second severance.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Dip Viscous posted:

I briefly worked at a place that made little bags of pepperoni and standard operating procedure for dealing with bags of moldy or rotten beef and pork was to mix it in with a few good batches and hope nobody noticed.

poopperoni

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

hmm. i'm not a pepperoni expert, but that seems not-great

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Buce posted:

hmm. i'm not a pepperoni expert, but that seems not-great

People can eat a little bit of rotten pepperoni as a treat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the lack of a dollar menu at most if not all fast food places.

I used to get cheap loving cheeseburgers and have them last a weekend without needing to drop a loving $20 bill on it.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The best chicken wing place in my town stopped the "Tuesday 2 lbs for the price of 1 lb" deal, so now there's less reason to go. :sigh:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Cowslips Warren posted:

the lack of a dollar menu at most if not all fast food places.

I used to get cheap loving cheeseburgers and have them last a weekend without needing to drop a loving $20 bill on it.

Yeah McD's you're lucky to get enough to feed yourself for that nowadays. The plain single patty cheeseburger here is $2.49, the same sandwich you could get for a buck a little over a year ago. One of the most overpriced stacks of garbage around.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
There was a panera drive through near me, it was a little expensive, but it was nice to have a place to get a salad or relatively healthier meal as drive through. They changed it so you can no longer drive up and order, you now have to order through their app, and the drive through window only exists to pick up an order placed on the app.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Panera was always poo poo

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Panera was bought by a vulture capital firm that’s committed to slowly murdering it for profit. If they can find a way to cut a corner, or tune the experience to mine more data about you they can sell, or hire fewer people to manage during a lunch rush if it means not paying an average of half a salary at a location in a year, that’s what they’re going to do.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually used to like Panera every now and then and their food quality has gone up over the years, but these days a half sandwich, half salad and a drink will end up over $20. I stopped going.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I actually used to like Panera every now and then and their food quality has gone up over the years, but these days a half sandwich, half salad and a drink will end up over $20. I stopped going.

:same: I feel like their food quality plateaued about two years ago and has been declining (like eveywhere else). I ate at Panera once a few months ago and the salad was airport-grade at best, plus it was a solid 20 for the :airquote: Panera :airquote: lunch - salad, drink, cookie.

EDIT

for content, and in the same vein - Chipotle. They're all poo poo now. Everything is stale, the portions are pathetic, and its really expensive for what it is now. Also I feel like their chicken is 100x greasier, although maybe related to my Panera quality complaints, I once heard that Panera and Chipotle source their chicken together, and Panera gets the white meat and Chipotle gets the dark?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
dollar tree has been doing 1.25 for awhile now, but today I saw signage for them adding 3 and 5 dollar items. great, the decent store is gonna become another dollar general, ain't it? gently caress off

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

On YouTube shorts I got a couple of videos of just 2-3 lovely meme pictures with backing music. I long pressed and hit "don't reccomend channel again". Youtube's algorithm decided this was engagement and now 3 out of every 5 videos are like this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shorts is the worst thing I’ve ever seen. Who asked for them

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I noticed after I "upgraded" my Comcast internet speed, that my upload speed dropped to something like 7mbps. It's 2023; not 1981. What in the flying gently caress?? I mentioned this to a person I knew who worked for Comcast and was told lol deal with it rear end in a top hat that's all we offer now

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

euphronius posted:

Zero.

I guarantee a committee of olds greenlit what they thought would engage young people because they have no idea what people want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

I agree but can't stop watching them