Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably trying to get back in some of his peers' good graces after pissing off basically everyone in Hollywood over the last three years.

I doubt most people in Hollywood are affected by the Rock, positively or negatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

koolkal posted:

I doubt most people in Hollywood are affected by the Rock, positively or negatively.

I've heard stories that few people want to work with him anymore because they all think he's a prima dona rear end in a top hat these days, but yeah the answer is probably "only Vin Diesel" :v:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, if you told me it was political I'd nod and shrug. And if it inspires other actors with millions to burn then hey, go with God.

I hope it's this. All the multi-millionaire actors should have a Who Can Be The Most Generous contest and just one-up each other by donating to the SAG and WGA strike funds

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Maybe they just might now

"HE made a seven figure donation?! Him?! Well gently caress, I've got at least 10 million I can put above him"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If that happens, it won't matter that he donated the least. He'll be able to take credit for all of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

If that happens, it won't matter that he donated the least. He'll be able to take credit for all of it.

He'll be able to say...

It doesn't matter what they did?

*Won't Get Fooled Again guitar lick*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://theintercept.com/2023/07/25/strike-hollywood-ai-disney-netflix/
Neflix offering 900K for an AI product manager.

Pulling a Lionel Hutz and altering their card from "No AI jobs" to "No, AI jobs!"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

https://theintercept.com/2023/07/25/strike-hollywood-ai-disney-netflix/
Neflix offering 900K for an AI product manager.

Pulling a Lionel Hutz and altering their card from "No AI jobs" to "No, AI jobs!"

That's still too little for what would ultimately be a showrunner/executive producer who came at it from a different background

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m just saying, if there was ever a time to flood them with AI-generated résumés…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From that article:

quote:

A job posting by the company Realeyes offers slightly more than that: $300 for two hours of work “express[ing] different emotions” and “improvis[ing] brief scenes” to “train an AI database to better express human emotions.”

Realeyes develops technology to measure attention and reactions by users to video content. While the posting doesn’t mention work with streaming companies, a video on Realeyes’s website prominently features the logos for Netflix and Hulu.

The posting is specially catered to attract striking workers, stressing that the gig is for “research” purposes and therefore “does not qualify as struck work”

Absolute loving ghouls.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also extremely douchey because they have to know having such work be at least covered by the union is part of the issue causing the strike.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Granted, I'm only going by memory and anecdotal evidence here, but the last strike seemed to have a hell of a lot more "those greedy fucks" going toward the artists than the executives where said sentiment belonged, and the fact that this has changed so dramatically in the intervening years feels like a hell of a good sign that a labor rights movement could actually claw back a lot of the damage done since Reagan killed unions dead.

Feels like people are just waiting for somebody to ask them to join up.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

More millionaires need to bolster the strike fund because the Teamsters' massive strike fund probably helped with their work stoppage threat and they just won the UPS fight

Also, more of this energy please

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spence/status/1683945168498749445?s=20

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

LividLiquid posted:

Granted, I'm only going by memory and anecdotal evidence here, but the last strike seemed to have a hell of a lot more "those greedy fucks" going toward the artists than the executives where said sentiment belonged, and the fact that this has changed so dramatically in the intervening years feels like a hell of a good sign that a labor rights movement could actually claw back a lot of the damage done since Reagan killed unions dead.

Feels like people are just waiting for somebody to ask them to join up.

I feel like there's two factors:

1- This strike is a lot easier to explain. For most people in 2008 the vibe for the WGA strike was "I dunno something about the internet" Now that everyone streams stuff it's easier to break down how Netflix isn't paying them enough

2- Even with glowing interviews by mainstream entertainment news sources, most studio execs are coming across as loving vampires to the average person

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Social media is definitely helping, too. People involved with/are knowledgeable about the strike are able to talk directly and honestly to sometimes millions of people at once. We had the internet in 2008 but it was so different and more centralized now than how it was back then. People aren't on several different weird off-shoot social media sites and message boards, they're all on the same 5 or 6 sites: Twitter, Youtube, TikTok, Reddit and Facebook.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

I feel like there's two factors:

1- This strike is a lot easier to explain. For most people in 2008 the vibe for the WGA strike was "I dunno something about the internet" Now that everyone streams stuff it's easier to break down how Netflix isn't paying them enough

2- Even with glowing interviews by mainstream entertainment news sources, most studio execs are coming across as loving vampires to the average person

Yeah, it definitely helps the pro-strike side when the studios are literally saying "we want them to become homeless so they have to accept whatever we want."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

You could conservatively cover ALL of the WGA, DGA and SAG financial demands over the next contract term on JUST Zaslav's pay from that period. And still leave him at ~$10M a year

Do you have some rough math for that because, besides the ~$500m salary itself, it would help me convince a friend that this strike is a good thing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Do you have some rough math for that because, besides the ~$500m salary itself, it would help me convince a friend that this strike is a good thing

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...m_medium=social

I've heard conflicting things about whether it's $450M per year or for the duration of the contract (the latter is what my earlier post was about) but honestly it doesn't effect the maths that much if you factor the other execs in.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

I've seen it said some places that executives aren't used to this sort of thing being so public and they were sort of vaguely counting on societal pressure to get those greedy writers and artists back to work and that's just not happening to any great extent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even with the Hollywood press in the tank for them. It's bananas.

:dance:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

During the last strike I don't remember any "I wrote for an award-winning show and get residuals less than a dollar" stories catching fire. This time around nearly everyone I know supports the strikers and heard some sort of story like that.

Much easier to get your message across when your opponents is scrooge mc'ducking their vaults while writers and actors freeze.

Important to note the weird dichotomy happening in the labor market here in the states. Overall membership of unions is STILL down from last year, .argely due to yet more "right to work" law fuckery and the shrinking of unionized industries.

But NEW unions and union memberships are up across the board and I feel like public sentiment has really turned against CEOs in the last few years.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DarklyDreaming posted:

Wasn't it also within the timeframe of the beginning of the "Great Recession" where many people had lost their jobs and, while obviously uninformed, gave rise to an unfortunate general attitude of "they should be happy they have jobs at all!"?

I think America is also currently suffering through obvious price gouging while hearing "record profits" in various places (e.g. ,groceries) so I can see a much wider support for "gently caress the corporations!" than in 2008.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Even with the Hollywood press in the tank for them. It's bananas.

:dance:

I didn't realize - but am not surprised - that Variety, Deadline etc., were owned by the same member of the AMPTP which explains a lot of articles.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Given how the networks are all in the AMPTP (Fox left but they and unions are oil and vinegar), I wouldn't even try to read any American media on the strike.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen it said some places that executives aren't used to this sort of thing being so public and they were sort of vaguely counting on societal pressure to get those greedy writers and artists back to work and that's just not happening to any great extent.

I get the feeling a lot of these guys believe that being CEO of Warner/Disney/Paramount entitles them to a certain admiration by default that other CEO's don't get. Which yeah, I probably hate them less than whoever's in charge of Exxon Mobil right now but who respects the guys at the top of Disney after Walt died?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

I get the feeling a lot of these guys believe that being CEO of Warner/Disney/Paramount entitles them to a certain admiration by default that other CEO's don't get. Which yeah, I probably hate them less than whoever's in charge of Exxon Mobil right now but who respects the guys at the top of Disney after Walt died?

*shudders* Respecting Michael Eisner, disgusting...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll say this about Eisner - he appeared in the intros for the Wonderful World of Disney when he ran the company, and I'm sure Iger would never do that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

You probably shouldn't dip your toes into Disney-related YouTube media.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

I'll say this about Eisner - he appeared in the intros for the Wonderful World of Disney when he ran the company, and I'm sure Iger would never do that.

Eisner quite literally saw him as the heir to Walt's legacy, all the way down to bending over and picking up pieces of trash he found whenever walking around the Disneyland parks, like Walt did.

Well, the parks staff hated Eisner, and word got out that he had a bad back. So they would litter the poo poo out of the Magic Kingdom and laugh as he bent over to pick up every last piece of litter he found.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

feedmyleg posted:

You probably shouldn't dip your toes into Disney-related YouTube media.

I watch Defunctland, that's enough :colbert:

Then again people have tried to argue to me that Kevin is too harsh on Eisner but I've never heard a convincing convincing argument about it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And in later episodes he actually softens on Eisner

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

And in later episodes he actually softens on Eisner

What, because Iger and Chapek turned out to be somehow even bigger shitheads?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At least Eisner (indirectly) gave us Lord Fuckwad Farquuad

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In a way, Michael Eisner was the Boris Yeltsin of the Walt Disney Company. In this 5-hour video essay, I will

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

In a way, Michael Eisner was the Boris Yeltsin of the Walt Disney Company. In this 5-hour video essay, I will

If anyone wants to know about how Eisner just gradually became more and more unhinged, mercurial, sexist and insane as his Disney tenure went (he really ripped the mask off after Disney president Frank Wells died in 1994), then the book DisneyWar, by James B. Stewart, is essential reading.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

If anyone wants to know about how Eisner just gradually became more and more unhinged, mercurial, sexist and insane as his Disney tenure went (he really ripped the mask off after Disney president Frank Wells died in 1994), then the book DisneyWar, by James B. Stewart, is essential reading.

People have openly said they wished Eisner was on the helicopter instead of Wells.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'd really like to read that book sometime, I've always known people hated Eisner but never knew the whole story, just bits and pieces from over the years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...m_medium=social

I've heard conflicting things about whether it's $450M per year or for the duration of the contract (the latter is what my earlier post was about) but honestly it doesn't effect the maths that much if you factor the other execs in.

That's really good, thank you!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ilmucche posted:

That's really good, thank you!

Also remember that includes the already settled DGA deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Timby posted:

Oh yeah that’s a good read. I think it mentioned how in the late 80s/early 90s their top tier animation teams were idled between movies so they had them work on tv cartoons which is why those were so much better than the competition.

Was it Eisner that decided that despite Spain being more of a vacation spot and the Spanish government lobbying for the project, that as he had vacationed in France it shall be built there? Then French farmers were blockading roads on day 1?