Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Ok after my stop at Barnes and Noble today, I've spent enough in the last few weeks. Since the start of this month, I've gotten

Upgrade (4k)
Air Force One (4k steelbook)
Sisu (4k steelbook)
The Last of Us season 1 (4k steelbook)
Heat (4k)
After Hours (Criterion Blu-ray)
Okja (Criterion Blu-ray)
Inside Llewyn Davis (Criterion Blu-ray)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Exorcist-4K-Blu-ray/332721/

Not particularly happy with this cover art for The Exorcist but gently caress it, as long as we're getting that UHD for Halloween season this year I'm satisfied.

Also noticed that Kiss the Girls is getting a UHD release in September as well. We love our 90s films don't we folks?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Is there some rule that states previous cover art can't be used for UHD? Even ones that use the film's poster are slightly different like Pulp Fiction.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I assume that using the original artwork means paying the original artist, which is obviously unacceptable to modern Hollywood.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Lumbermouth posted:

I assume that using the original artwork means paying the original artist, which is obviously unacceptable to modern Hollywood.

It's worse than that

pwn posted:

Every time a layout artist attempts to save a .psd using original poster art their hdd corrupts. This is why they are so careful to never ever use original poster art.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I admit I prefer Dr. Strangelove's UHD art to just about any other release, and The Big Lebowski's is very attractive too, but it's getting extremely silly.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I don't get how a movie poster isn't work for hire and owned by the studio that commissioned it..unless it's done by the in-house art department, but you'd be paying those people anyway and I doubt any salaried employee retains any copyright on anything.

Also there are literally books of alternate movie posters from 100's of designers before you even get into the lower tiers of a DeviantArt..there really is no excuse for half-assing it. But also I don't stare at the cover for 2 hours, I watch the movie, and it's stacked between two other films where I can't see anything but a spine anyway

what was i talking about again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean it’s probably mostly to just differentiate the product from blus/ dvds

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

morestuff posted:

most of my uhds have the same cover art as the blu versions..a24, criterion..the only thing that is the giveaway is a sticker on the shrink wrap, and I know people that have accidentally ordered the wrong format..I kinda wish they'd do SOMETHING even small to distinguish things other than something that gets thrown away

pwn
May 27, 2004

morestuff posted:

And again i say,

pwn posted:

And again, just like when this came up a week or three back, it must be pointed out that there is no casual retail presence to speak of anymore, the primary audience is lunatics like us, so please loving cater to us and consider maybe we understand that this is new without needing new terrible art and/or giant banners at the top of the box. Get off my lawn.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
If it’s anything like book publishing, it’s most likely an out of touch marketing exec who thinks Rosemary’s Baby or The Exorcist could really benefit from a new fresh design to attract a new and younger audience, not understanding who the audience is or not having any idea what they are talking about in general.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Decent steelbook art

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1683884211546075140?s=20

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Peace and love on planet Earth

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol I thought the middle pic was a long case not the slip halfway off.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm legit jealous of the people who are allowed to custom make shelves that take up 100% of their wall space.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

These kinda things always give me dread, I'd rather purge than get to hoarder status like that *shudder*

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

The trend to stagger BD and 4K is gonna start biting people in the rear end. I feel like Lionsgate is the most guilty of this.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1683956099001769985?s=20

P decent Steelbook. The standard is just the poster art. 50/50 on if I wanna day 1 the Steelbook.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/american-gaffiti-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray/6544990.p?skuId=6544990

Oh, this is cool. Looks like American Graffiti is getting a 4K UHD steelbook through Best Buy that looks pretty good! Funny that they misspelled the name on the website. I have the Special Edition Blu-Ray already but it looks like that'll be included so I might as well upgrade. Saw this movie earlier this year and it made a huge impression on me.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I thought the middle pic was a long case not the slip halfway off.

once the vinyl bubble collapses we’re gonna see a longbox resurgence

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I sympathize, I have struggled my entire life to spell graffiti correctly

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

e: duh, it's 2022 thriller

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 26, 2023

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/american-gaffiti-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray/6544990.p?skuId=6544990

Oh, this is cool. Looks like American Graffiti is getting a 4K UHD steelbook through Best Buy that looks pretty good! Funny that they misspelled the name on the website. I have the Special Edition Blu-Ray already but it looks like that'll be included so I might as well upgrade. Saw this movie earlier this year and it made a huge impression on me.

That movie is one of the greatest "What Ifs?" in film. George Lucas could've done so many interesting things if Star Wars hadn't destroyed everything around it. American Graffiti is probably the best movie he made.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

That movie is one of the greatest "What Ifs?" in film. George Lucas could've done so many interesting things if Star Wars hadn't destroyed everything around it. American Graffiti is probably the best movie he made.

Definitely, it's a truly brilliant piece of work. It's enthralling, paced perfectly, and unbearably melancholy and tragic to boot. It's one of the very few things I've seen that understands that a fundamental element of "nostalgia" is the grief of hindsight, and it's so human in how it portrays youth on the precipice of a changing era that they can barely even fathom that it feels timeless. Like, poo poo, I'm 31-years-old, I should have no business crying about Wolfman Jack, and yet...

All that to say that I'm glad this release comes out just before my birthday!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Gonna upgrade the blu-ray I still haven't watched.

Unrelated but I hope someone gets on doing that I Stand Alone release. Could also use Love. Kind of surprised Arrow hasn't done that one already.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

can’t believe he insisted on adding a digital sunset to the opening title sequence. lucas gonna lucas

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

zer0spunk posted:

These kinda things always give me dread, I'd rather purge than get to hoarder status like that *shudder*

(Me, with my huge hoard) "This owns I love this"

(My family when I pass, selling my crap) "Uhh, the DVDs? If you take them all how about $50?"

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Brexit the Frog posted:

can’t believe he insisted on adding a digital sunset to the opening title sequence. lucas gonna lucas

On the other hand, my friend's dad got put back into the movie after getting left on the cutting room floor. :unsmith:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

We ain't ever getting a THX 4K without the lovely CG additions are we?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a decent fan restoration out there, but last time I checked there was still an ongoing effort to do a 4K fan scan of an Italian print they dug up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The American Graffiti Blu-ray is one of the weirdest looking movies I own due to DNR. So hopefully they do a better job this time. It’s one of my favorite movies.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I actually originally watched it on Netflix...was that just the Blu Ray version or a different transfer?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I actually originally watched it on Netflix...was that just the Blu Ray version or a different transfer?

For some reason I get that movie confused with Easy Rider and got reallllly confused by these posts. I should watch american graffiti at some point

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
FINALLY!!!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1684239149233053697?s=20

I fuckin LOVE The Fugitive. I watch it at least once a year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That'll pretty much complete my 90s Harrison Ford UHD collection. The Fugitive, Air Force One, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger. I guess if they put out Six Days, Seven Nights I'd buy that too, why not.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yes, i would buy The Fugitive on UHD. Yes I would.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
As a man of taste I prefer wrongfully accused, UHD when?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

dorium posted:

yes, i would buy The Fugitive on UHD. Yes I would.

Not only will I buy it, I'll stage a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse, and doghouse for a copy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Edit: It Follows 4K coming!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1671520368786382855?s=20

In Australia in Special Edition. But hopefully that’ll change!

Just got an email from Second Sight, since I pre-ordered It Follows, but both of these have been delayed until September 11. Apparently their distributor is moving warehouses, and have had to put a freeze on shipping as a result.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
am I able to buy that it follows and play it on my us ps5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright