Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TheWeedNumber posted:

those are the regs for people who have been shitbags in the program. You have literally done nothing wrong. As I thought, it was a chickenshit denial reason and goes against this poo poo.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-38/chapter-I/part-21/subpart-A/subject-group-ECFR1baf1ab6655ba99/section-21.53

So the "I don't think the veteran is gonna comply with our plans poo poo" doesn't really make sense on many levels. This addresses the "can they get through the pipeline" doubt poo poo. As in reasonable doubts go in your favor.

That said based on what you've said I don't think its worth the bullshit unless you need to come to them for a master's or above, or a BA in a field. There's a discussion to be had there if/when you need to have it. For now, pop smoke and let your hair down bro, this one's done unless you really wanna fight em. Sorry this happened to you.

Yeah, I figure the basic electronics vocational certificate will do what I need for my resume, really. There's I think 4 more electronics courses beyond that and a couple of other for like technical drawings and a freshman intro to engineering to finish the associates, but I can just grind on those onesie twosie for an extra year if I really have to. If I have time I'll drop a new VRE claim later in the year just to break their balls, but in all honesty I imagine I'll be back to work well before they could help me at this point if they actually wanted to. I'm gonna keep my remaining one month of GI Bill banked for a rainy day. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the CWT thing. Thanks for the support amigo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah, I figure the basic electronics vocational certificate will do what I need for my resume, really. There's I think 4 more electronics courses beyond that and a couple of other for like technical drawings and a freshman intro to engineering to finish the associates, but I can just grind on those onesie twosie for an extra year if I really have to. If I have time I'll drop a new VRE claim later in the year just to break their balls, but in all honesty I imagine I'll be back to work well before they could help me at this point if they actually wanted to. I'm gonna keep my remaining one month of GI Bill banked for a rainy day. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the CWT thing. Thanks for the support amigo

whatever you need partner, that's what I'm here for. same goes for anyone else on these forums. Definitely save that GI bill just incase you wake up one day and decide to be a neurosurgeon via VR&E or something; that's BAH money right there. Take care of yourself and keep it pushing brother. Be well.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Hey goons, I need some help
I have a VRE counselor, but I don't know if they're right.

I have been using the post 9/11 bill to go to school.I had access to the MGIB but I transferred it over before I got out after ascertaining it was probably the better way for me. I had a MGIB kicker on my enlistment, which paid all throughout my school. I'm at my last semester and will be using VRE for it, as I only have 2 months available of time left and that won't quite cover the end of the school year, and I hope to get my masters as well.

My VRE rep told me that I was going to have to pay back $500 of the kicker every month if I used some new program she was telling me about that would "pay back" my 9/11 bill, so I'm doing something else instead.

My disabilities have made all of this VERY difficult for me to process. I've asked for more clarifications and in the email I just received I got "The repayment of kicker is related to the retro of Post 911 under the VRE program. You can decline the retro of Post 911 benefits under the VRE program."
This means literally nothing to me, I do not understand it. I asked my clinic to have the social worker call me for a phone appointment, and nobody ever called me when they are supposed to.

I'm very frustrated and worried I'm not going to have the right answers before school starts in the fall...
I have a lot of trouble understanding and reading text these days... can anyone help me?
I am looking for the most $$$ while I go to school. It's keeping me from being homeless basically.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

feverish and oversexed posted:

Hey goons, I need some help
I have a VRE counselor, but I don't know if they're right.

I have been using the post 9/11 bill to go to school.I had access to the MGIB but I transferred it over before I got out after ascertaining it was probably the better way for me. I had a MGIB kicker on my enlistment, which paid all throughout my school. I'm at my last semester and will be using VRE for it, as I only have 2 months available of time left and that won't quite cover the end of the school year, and I hope to get my masters as well.

My VRE rep told me that I was going to have to pay back $500 of the kicker every month if I used some new program she was telling me about that would "pay back" my 9/11 bill, so I'm doing something else instead.

My disabilities have made all of this VERY difficult for me to process. I've asked for more clarifications and in the email I just received I got "The repayment of kicker is related to the retro of Post 911 under the VRE program. You can decline the retro of Post 911 benefits under the VRE program."
This means literally nothing to me, I do not understand it. I asked my clinic to have the social worker call me for a phone appointment, and nobody ever called me when they are supposed to.

I'm very frustrated and worried I'm not going to have the right answers before school starts in the fall...
I have a lot of trouble understanding and reading text these days... can anyone help me?
I am looking for the most $$$ while I go to school. It's keeping me from being homeless basically.

I can't answer your question. I know of someone who can. There is a Veterans space on Reddit. One of the mods is SCOVeteran. He was a school certifying official for a college after serving his time. He breathes regulations.

If we goons don't sort this out, post your question there. He is always lurking. He has helped me on many occasions.

I used C31 with P9/11 MHA and your statement reads like you're being given bad advice. I don't know the regs but I like a good fight with the VA. I know two SCOs and a C31 counselor and would be happy to jump into this if it would help.

Booger Presley fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 3, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
lol I cross-posted to reddit as well and he's responding to me already. Good to know he comes recommended ty.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

feverish and oversexed posted:

lol I cross-posted to reddit as well and he's responding to me already. Good to know he comes recommended ty.

That dude knows what's up.

I hope you find your answer. I'm still in reserve if needed. I know this is moot with SCO on point.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
CWT update:

So, they got in touch this morning. Basically, they offer a couple of different programs that find jobs for vets with severe disabilities, focused on those struggling with addiction and "persistent severe mental illness" that usually goes hand in hand with a Transitional Residence program. I was told it's for people who are not used to routines of showing up to work, can't really interview, relearning to groom themselves, etc. There's weekly routine + random drug testing and a requirement to be engaged with their mental health treatment program. I felt like all this was a bit intense for my needs, and the LCSW interviewing me seemed to agree.

The flavor that seemed like the best fit for me (or at least came the closest to supporting my plan) was the "Transitional Work" program, which was the one where you work in Housekeeping, Foodservice or Volunteer Management (pushing wheelchairs) at the VAMC for a tax free stipend that averages around 13 dollars in hour. I don't know what kind of visibility they had on my VR&E claim but they were aware I had one. They thought it was still open and seemed a bit confused about the disposition of it and uh to be honest I didn't really know how to explain it myself. They discontinued my claim but they said I was technically found eligible, only that I had to go through you, first? Lol Anyway, they would be cool with me doing CWT-TW for no more than one year and I can leave anytime if I find some other job or get Ch 31 running or whatever.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Last month I finished my 2 year grad school program and I just checked with the VA and I have over half of my GI Bill benefits left.

What are some interesting ways to put this to use part-time or on the weekends? Definitely not going to be going back to school as a fulltime student again.

First thing that comes to mind to me is something art or culinary related, since they're hobbies of mine.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mustang posted:

Last month I finished my 2 year grad school program and I just checked with the VA and I have over half of my GI Bill benefits left.

What are some interesting ways to put this to use part-time or on the weekends? Definitely not going to be going back to school as a full-time student again.

First thing that comes to mind to me is something art or culinary-related, since they're hobbies of mine.

You say that but I went back for another Masters to change careers (from Intel in the mil to civ IT to finally Social Work - yes I'm stupid and moved in increasingly dumb directions), I was happy to have had the benefits to do both an MS and MSW with still some benefits remaining. If you don't ever have plans to go back to change careers then go ahead with finding some cooking program to run out your benefits and get some extra cash but it never hurts to have a back-up plan

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

What are some interesting ways to put this to use part-time or on the weekends? Definitely not going to be going back to school as a fulltime student again.

First thing that comes to mind to me is something art or culinary related, since they're hobbies of mine.

I know someone who just took classes like woodworking or welding. Basically, anything he was remotely interested in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
As long as there's a degree program you can enroll under you are good for anything. I take a couple classes a semester on things I'm into since BAH for part time is a better deal than working around here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

And finally submitted my disability claim. It went in on Friday via my VSO and the VA site lists it as under initial review. Immediate issues I'm seeing are like ten items we claimed for are missing and the VA site says we submitted no documents. Is this anything to worry about the day after submission, like they may just be catching up and going through things, or is that a "uh oh" out the gate? Some of the items, like illiotibial band syndrome will be combined into knee pain probably, but mental health and my messed up back aren't even included at all. I emailed my VSO, but I wanted to ask you guys as well.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If I remember correctly there's a squad that all they do is just scan poo poo, and enter it into the pile that the reviewers then have access to. So I wouldn't worry a day after, but I'm sure the VSO will clear that up.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

BUT I'M AGITATED NOW

nah, I got you, thanks. I'm just trying to stay ahead on things

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

And finally submitted my disability claim. It went in on Friday via my VSO and the VA site lists it as under initial review. Immediate issues I'm seeing are like ten items we claimed for are missing and the VA site says we submitted no documents. Is this anything to worry about the day after submission, like they may just be catching up and going through things, or is that a "uh oh" out the gate? Some of the items, like illiotibial band syndrome will be combined into knee pain probably, but mental health and my messed up back aren't even included at all. I emailed my VSO, but I wanted to ask you guys as well.

Yeah don't sweat it, and I wouldn't even worry about checking the status on it with any frequency. You'll get a call from QTC in the next few days once they have all your documents (and a bunch of text messages along with some overnight letters) to schedule an appointment for all of your needed exams. The exams are not full physicals. Each one is there to review the documents submitted, maybe perform a few specific tests, and otherwise type up a concise narrative with your input to explain the impact/severity of your issue.

From there it will take the VA another few months to process and get you your initial decision. If you suddenly get a big chunk of money from the VA in your bank account, you'll know you've been rated and your decision letter is coming. You'll get a big package that will explain each claim, whether or not it is service connected, and the disability rating if so.

Glad you finally sent it in. I know you've gone through some poo poo with it, but I have high hopes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

VSO followed up on what happened, and boy howdy I didn't expect this. the VA switched to an AI system for the first pass on claims and it managed to just skip the last page of the claims form. they're sending the VA a letter to unfuck it and from the tone of their answer this is not an uncommon thing like, at all. lol, lmao.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

maffew buildings posted:

VSO followed up on what happened, and boy howdy I didn't expect this. the VA switched to an AI system for the first pass on claims and it managed to just skip the last page of the claims form. they're sending the VA a letter to unfuck it and from the tone of their answer this is not an uncommon thing like, at all. lol, lmao.

Wat

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well that's new. And exciting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If I've already submitted my intent to file through DAV, how long can I procrastinate before actually going back to them to do something?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

One year to file from the date the VA has on record as receiving intent to file paperwork. You should have received a notice from the VA confirming receipt or be able to find it on your VA portal. Should being the operative word.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is that the date everything needs to be in the VA's hands? That's my assumption.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I just got married. Do you folks know if there is an expiration date for C35?

I lost C33 due to being old. I would like my spouse to get some learn.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Booger Presley posted:

I just got married. Do you folks know if there is an expiration date for C35?

I lost C33 due to being old. I would like my spouse to get some learn.

My wife used Chapter 35 benefits to go back to school in her forties. I don’t think there is an expiration if you meet the qualification criteria.

https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/

To apply, your wife just needs to pick a degree plan and you fill out the application and the VA will come back with a benefits letter you take to the school. VA will direct deposit money each month school is in. You may have to pay out of pocket while you wait for the VA deposit to kick in but we just put it on a credit card and pay it off when the Chapter 35 money comes in.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
So for myhealthevet.com, do you think of it/pronounce it:

My Healthy Vet

My Health E-Vet

My Heal The Vet

I hear it pronounced as the first one all the time, second one makes the most sense, and the third one seems to be what they are going for on the official website.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is it possible to use my post 9/11 GI Bill to get a certificate, like Security + or some other flavor of computer toucher cert?

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

lite_sleepr posted:

Is it possible to use my post 9/11 GI Bill to get a certificate, like Security + or some other flavor of computer toucher cert?

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/vettec-high-tech-program/

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/test-fees/

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know about programming or software. Just a certificate

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't know about programming or software. Just a certificate

What certificate? If they accept the GI Bill they will almost always advertise it. You can always ask them as well. These places have a vested interest in making veterans using GI Bill benefits as painless as possible so more people spend money there.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well I got my rating. At first I thought it’d be 20% when they asked me for more medical records related to my mental health claim, but before I could send them the VA closed out the claim and posted their decision letter, rating me at 40% when MDD was granted and factored in. No idea what made them request more records and then go, “Nah nevermind, whatever here’s your stupid rating.”

In other news, in TYOOL 2023 I managed to get Covid somehow the week before my job’s 90 day probationary period ends, and also the week before, having established good attendance and quality of work, I was going to ask for part-time hours to do 12 semester hours of school. They are going to demand a doctor’s note for being out more than two days, which seems silly.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Any feedback here appreciated, I just got hit with a curve ball. I was registered part time for this upcoming semester with an in person and an online class comprising 8 semester units. The VA verified my enrollment and all that fun stuff, sent me my BAH schedule, etc. and today I'm seeing the course I was taking in person is now no longer a full 16 week course but 9 weeks and exclusively online. I haven't gotten any notice of amendment to my enrollment, and figure I can either roll the dice and see if the VA doesn't know there's a change, or scramble to try and fix this issue. Anyone ever deal with anything like this before?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Any feedback here appreciated, I just got hit with a curve ball. I was registered part time for this upcoming semester with an in person and an online class comprising 8 semester units. The VA verified my enrollment and all that fun stuff, sent me my BAH schedule, etc. and today I'm seeing the course I was taking in person is now no longer a full 16 week course but 9 weeks and exclusively online. I haven't gotten any notice of amendment to my enrollment, and figure I can either roll the dice and see if the VA doesn't know there's a change, or scramble to try and fix this issue. Anyone ever deal with anything like this before?

How many hours are you getting for it after these changes?

I’d do my best to fix it. They WILL find out, and when they do they’ll want any extra money back and it’ll be at the worst possible time for you financially. Couldn’t you just answer “no” the next month after your class is over?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

life is killing me posted:

How many hours are you getting for it after these changes?

I’d do my best to fix it. They WILL find out, and when they do they’ll want any extra money back and it’ll be at the worst possible time for you financially. Couldn’t you just answer “no” the next month after your class is over?

Having it be all online basically equals lol lmao for the hit to GI Bill and BAH. I've already gotten run over once on BAH and made this post when I was in 'oh no!' mode versus thinking slightly more rationally. I'm just switching out to an in person course that fits the degree requirements and letting the vets office know. It fucks up my life schedule but it beats the alternative. Thanks for the prompt response and reinforcing that fixing it is the move.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

Having it be all online basically equals lol lmao for the hit to GI Bill and BAH. I've already gotten run over once on BAH and made this post when I was in 'oh no!' mode versus thinking slightly more rationally. I'm just switching out to an in person course that fits the degree requirements and letting the vets office know. It fucks up my life schedule but it beats the alternative. Thanks for the prompt response and reinforcing that fixing it is the move.

You should also contact the registrar or the Dean and ask what the gently caress is going on. It's a pretty significant fuckup for them to switch something like that up on you last second, and you're entitled to an explanation and apology.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

You should also contact the registrar or the Dean and ask what the gently caress is going on. It's a pretty significant fuckup for them to switch something like that up on you last second, and you're entitled to an explanation and apology.

I'm with you, I'm waiting until I have cooled off before doing that.

edit: paperwork is being sent along and the changes I made are all good, just have to have the certifying official send along to the VA since it's a six of one, half a dozen of the other kind of change. I hope nobody else is getting wrecked by no notice changes.

edit edit: no answer yet but Vets office said they've had more than a few students tell them about the no notice class changes. Now to rabble rouse because the class I changed to is at a different school in the system and they have a habit of forgetting to certify and I would greatly prefer to get BAH.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 10, 2023

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Had anyone had their id.me account erroneously suspended? I’ve made two support tickets in the last month and have never ever heard back. No idea why my account is suspended but it sure is hilarious when they advise me to log in to submit a support ticket for my login problems. I can’t access VA.gov while this is going on, and I’m starting to get pretty pissed off that I’m not hearing from them. They don’t have a phone number I can call, either

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi thread.

I'm going back to finish my undergrad.

Good news is Wisconsin pays for my full tuition at a state university through WGIB, so that's a free ride.

Bad news is my Montgomery money long expired, and my date of separation was 9/30/2001 so I don't qualify for post-9/11 womp womp. I am still looking for a part time gig but free money is free money and I'd rather be fully committed to my studies this time around; so a stipend would be great.

I stopped by the campus Veteran office and basically said "hey from the 'can't hurt to ask' department is there any way to get on either GI bill without knowing a senator?"

She said if I had a disability rating apparently I can still qualify to draw from my MGIB? I never went for it, but I'm quite confident I have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear from flightline jet turbine ear fuckage that sadly wasn't ID'ed till years later when I applied for a promotion to speech disability interpreter at a civ gig and didn't get it because I couldn't hear some beeps. I never really bothered purusing a rating because my Dad said the VA would never help anyone for any reason and I believed him.

I asked my stepmom, who basically momma beared the VA for both my Dad when he was dying and Brother when he was desperately ill to get them help and she said basically to walk into the local VA hospital with my 214, demand to see an audiologist and try to get a determination, sticking to my story and documenting everything, hoping the system works quicker than it usually does by being the squeaky wheel.

The rating would be a means to try and extend the GI Bill I paid into, I am not 100% on how this works IDK. I told her I feel a little abashed with relative privation, not having been exploded going after this stuff but she said go get it girl.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 6, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

There is zero chance that you can show up at the VA, see an audiologist, and have them give you what you need to submit a disability claim. They will just turn you away at the front desk and may or may not actually give you the info you need to get started.

I don’t want to discourage you because you may have a shot at a claim but it will be neither fast nor easy. Hearing loss is probably the most common claim there is and the VA is really good at not approving those claims. 20 years as a Marine and documentation showing I ruptured my eardrum in combat and I think I got 10% for tinnitus.

I’d recommend you reach out to a VSO of your choice and talk with someone there about submitting a claim. Disabled American Veterans, American Legion, and others have volunteers who help people file claims. If you have your military medical records, it’ll help the process, otherwise you will need to fight the archives folks to see if you can get copies and that also takes forever.

Turnaround time on claims is a long time too. It might be a year before they schedule your exam and months after before they come back with a rating. It’s almost like slowing the process down is a cost savings measure.

You should still do it. I just want to make sure you manage expectations. It’s not a thing that’ll get resolved in a month or two. It’ll be a whole process that seems to take forever. You might end up getting a little money out of it though so it’s worth it in the long run if you have other things that can be claimed and your local VSO will be able to best advise you on what that might be.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Who do we talk to in order to clarify internment benefits? We're e in the pre-need stage, but looking at internment in a VA national cemetery. I was under the impression Costs would be zero (casket, headstone, plot, funeral, etc. However. Being bounced around between the cemetery office. The VA, VSO we start to get conflicting info and told the VA only reimburses certain amounts, but I think they're confusing the benefits of using a private cemetary. Is there like one head central office that we can talk to to find out for sure? It's bad enough having to shop for plots, but it's be nice to know for sure the family would actually be covered financially and administratively

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

PageMaster posted:

Who do we talk to in order to clarify internment benefits? We're e in the pre-need stage, but looking at internment in a VA national cemetery. I was under the impression Costs would be zero (casket, headstone, plot, funeral, etc. However. Being bounced around between the cemetery office. The VA, VSO we start to get conflicting info and told the VA only reimburses certain amounts, but I think they're confusing the benefits of using a private cemetary. Is there like one head central office that we can talk to to find out for sure? It's bad enough having to shop for plots, but it's be nice to know for sure the family would actually be covered financially and administratively

Specifically, you want the Veterans Benefits Administration. I assume that you are getting "bounced around" via their web app, which is mostly designed to either find an existing grave or set up/request a burial at a memorial cemetery.

Google is telling me that the VA will offer $300 for non-service connected deaths and $2k for service connected reasons, an additional $807 (very bizarre number) if the person was in the VA hospital when they die and social security will offer up $255. Still with Google, I am only seeing that they cover the gov headstone or marker, , opening/closing of the grave, burial flag, care of the site (in a national cemetery). The only reference I can find to covering the casket is if the individual is indigent with no next of kin.

Have you tried calling the VBA 800 number? 800-698-2411. Lots of the VA people do better when physically talking to someone.

Hope you find what you need. Sorry that you even have to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Specifically, you want the Veterans Benefits Administration. I assume that you are getting "bounced around" via their web app, which is mostly designed to either find an existing grave or set up/request a burial at a memorial cemetery.

Google is telling me that the VA will offer $300 for non-service connected deaths and $2k for service connected reasons, an additional $807 (very bizarre number) if the person was in the VA hospital when they die and social security will offer up $255. Still with Google, I am only seeing that they cover the gov headstone or marker, , opening/closing of the grave, burial flag, care of the site (in a national cemetery). The only reference I can find to covering the casket is if the individual is indigent with no next of kin.

Have you tried calling the VBA 800 number? 800-698-2411. Lots of the VA people do better when physically talking to someone.

Hope you find what you need. Sorry that you even have to do this.

Thanks, we're still researching, but it looks like the site and burial are free, not not the funeral and transport there, I didn't know those were all completely separate things. Wifi is why I got confused, but the folks were were talking to were probably accurate

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 8, 2023