Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

Lemme tell you about this little thing called "virtual memory". You know how you get upset because you look at task manager and see Steam and 3 other launchers all taking up memory? That poo poo doesn't matter! Ignore it, keep the launchers minimized to the status tray, and all that memory will get paged out if you need it for something else. This isn't 2005, we all have SSDs now that can shove a gig of data around in a fraction of a second.
That's a horrible opinion. I hate how everything and everyone doesn't give a poo poo about efficiency anymore. SSDs and 32GB+ RAM, or not.

Furthermore, the assumption that it gets paged out of memory is based on the idea that it isn't a horrible piece of poo poo code that keeps various components active and rendering despite being minimized.

That even counts for Steam. Because holy gently caress, my pet peeve with this one is the continuing disk activity when minimized and "not in use" nor updating a game. In case you wonder, it kept triggering the hard drives in my NAS to unpark (because I have a Steam Library hosted on there).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

just fill your nas with ssds and never park them

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always park my NAND gate!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Adolf Glitter posted:

:20bux: :20bux: :20bux: :negative: :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Adolf Glitter posted:

This is my setup. Just a big ol grip of 1TB SATA SSD's

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
If it's just checking on the files a bunch you could throw a few gigs of SSD in front of the hard drives as a cache.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sounds like great news for more fine-grained fan analysis as well as potential coil whine analysis for gpu's

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1681827450941046785

direct link: https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx_8SpbLaPwCwJnZsdzGr0h-AD944KKKB4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He specifically said in the most recent news video that the first ITX case review under this new system will be the Fractal Terra, and I'm super happy to see ITX reviews coming back because that space is in need of something on Youtube that isn't just build guides and showcases.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the pace of itx case releases seems crazy, it's like every two weeks there's a new model that everyone should "totally check out". wonder how gn keeps up with that pace

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's probably an inevitable thing they need to do since it feels like ATX cases have slowed massively or just become near identical as a solved problem and everyone now wants to have their ITX lineup coming out at once.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

the pace of itx case releases seems crazy, it's like every two weeks there's a new model that everyone should "totally check out". wonder how gn keeps up with that pace

A lot of that seems to me like the ITX space has, besides the normal big companies, a bunch of boutique shops that are making good stuff, but in limited quantity and for high prices. I'd guess that GN is gonna focus on the mass market side of things at least for the start.

But also, it's not like they keep up with every case release for ATX either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I wonder if GN will ever put anyone else Infront of the camera besides Steve? Seems like if they're going to be doing more and more, eventually something like that has to happen...

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i wonder how you normalize itx noise and airflow testing given how much tweaking is usually involved in fitting everything in there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I wonder if GN will ever put anyone else Infront of the camera besides Steve? Seems like if they're going to be doing more and more, eventually something like that has to happen...

The two Patricks have done videos before.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Stone is cool and good

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Klyith posted:

A lot of that seems to me like the ITX space has, besides the normal big companies, a bunch of boutique shops that are making good stuff, but in limited quantity and for high prices. I'd guess that GN is gonna focus on the mass market side of things at least for the start.
i'd love to see them review cases like the NCase M1, FormD T1, etc. but i'm not gonna hold my breath

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

The two Patricks have done videos before.

Steve (almost?) always still does the intro/outro. It’s nothing like say LTT.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There was a period where Steve said he was trying to get more people on camera but I wonder if people just didn’t want to be on camera more or if the views were worse on videos with someone else in the thumbnail. That improving the Alienware PC video was a proper collab with a bunch of people though and it was a fun one. They absolutely have the personality depth to do it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve vs Alienware: Round 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8kprUGy57E

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Most of the review was fine, but the bit about firmware updates being bad and dangerous was kinda bullshit. Dell uses UEFI capsule updates with double firmware so it really takes effort to gently caress up one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Most of the review was fine, but the bit about firmware updates being bad and dangerous was kinda bullshit. Dell uses UEFI capsule updates with double firmware so it really takes effort to gently caress up one.

But it’s Dell, they’ll find a way

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

But it’s Dell, they’ll find a way

I think my only BIOS update that failed in the last twenty years was due to me power cycling the machine, since the monitor displayport link went on the fritz while flashing and that particular unit loved to get stuck before post (the OEM replaced the board without batting an eye).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does Dell still do weird motherboards and PSUs on their gaming desktops? My first gaming machine was an XPS 400 with a 7900GS (:kiddo:) but upgrading anything but the RAM was out of the cards because everything was so proprietary.

As dookie as Dell was, they did replace my 7900GS twice because both eventually had those memory errors that turn grass textures solid magenta.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, go watch some of Gamers Nexus' reviews of modern Alienware systems for some real proprietary fun.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I don’t wanna because it’ll actually make me mad lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They do the thing where they extend the motherboard PCB out to the front panel I/O instead of using a separate PCB connected via cables

edit: this is from the last one, but the motherboard shape is still the same

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 24, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They do the thing where they extend the motherboard PCB out to the front panel I/O instead of using a separate PCB connected via cables

edit: this is from the last one, but the motherboard shape is still the same

Man that seems so dumb. Just use a smaller PCB for front panel and cables! Why take up so much more space! They should be optimizing for number of boards per panel when fabricating.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's even better, all these Dell systems use the same basic chassis just wrapped in different kinds of plastic so there's all these weird clip systems for connecting parts because they're having to figure out how to we mount an AIO liquid cooler to this 15-20 year old case?

Also they run a separate cable to the front panel anyway to power the front RGB.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm guessing that cost & reliability of assembly is a huge priority for them. Say what you want about the Dell stuff that GN has reviewed, but there's never been assembly fuckups like cables not fully plugged in, cards badly seated, or damage in shipping. I think the elaborate case with all the mechanical contraptions speaks to that.

They've probably done the math that an extra 20 square inches of PCB is less money than a slightly higher failure rate of a cabled front panel connectors. (Of course if the PCB front panel fails it's a new mobo, but that's not Dell's problem. That's either user damage or long past warranty.)

The Alienware poo poo is a Dell workstation PC in a stupid plastic shell. All the stuff that makes it a good business workstation is useless as tits on a boar for the gaming PC.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dell and HPE also do proprietary motherboards for their servers and workstations.
They love vendor lock-in.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Proprietary power supplies too, usually pretty good quality but 12v only (not that it fits 12vo spec).
Lenovo’s is the most wild, you just slide the power supply into a slot and it connects directly into the motherboard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

Proprietary power supplies too, usually pretty good quality but 12v only (not that it fits 12vo spec).
Lenovo’s is the most wild, you just slide the power supply into a slot and it connects directly into the motherboard.

That's like a lot of server power supplies, which is a cool feature.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
ew, LTT is selling "PCMR" branded gear now. how did it not get through to them how terrible that term is?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

none of LTTs marketing copy acknowledges what PCMR actually stands for as far as i can see, i think they're aware of how cringe it is and are dancing around it since there's money to be made

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's been a concerted effort from some people to get that term used again, I've seen it popping up more and more in tech videos especially. I'd argue though that the hardcore PC gamer types never did accept that the term is poo poo and elitist. It feels like it's going to resurface to distinguish the people who use "real" PCs (ie, DIY desktops) from the filthy Fortnite playing casuals using handhelds and cheap prebuilts.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the hardware company "Glorious PC Gaming Race" did eventually cave and rebrand to just "Glorious" at least

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

There's been a concerted effort from some people to get that term used again, I've seen it popping up more and more in tech videos especially. I'd argue though that the hardcore PC gamer types never did accept that the term is poo poo and elitist. It feels like it's going to resurface to distinguish the people who use "real" PCs (ie, DIY desktops) from the filthy Fortnite playing casuals using handhelds and cheap prebuilts.

look at the car industry, half the advertising for cars is about how superior having a big truck makes you, being elitist does work to sell people on things

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The elitism is one thing but calling a consumer technology choice the "master race" is pretty loving cringe while nazi poo poo just keeps getting higher and higher. It shouldn't be acceptable at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah but the car media doesn't do that, the "Master Race" stuff for PC gaming comes from the media and fans, not usually the industry itself. Above example of a god drat keyboard company excepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

none of LTTs marketing copy acknowledges what PCMR actually stands for as far as i can see, i think they're aware of how cringe it is and are dancing around it since there's money to be made

Well, PCMR’s domain name is kinda unfortunate then