Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How much time is the paint on the brush? Also I rinse off paint on the brush about once every 2-3 minutes at the longest.

If you're going to buy beater brushes please get ones meant for classrooms as you can get 100 brushes for $10 instead of 5 for $10. They're really bad quality but that's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have been using what my local art store sells for $10 for a pack. Their student grade stuff. I bought one nice size zero off the rack but I won't use it until I prove I can take care of a brush :(

I messed up the fairly nice brush from a miniature painting set which is what prompted the post.

Edit: The brushes OP linked don't cost any more than the student brushes I've been buying, they just seem to be a well regarded cheap set. Still, I'd like to not euin brushes aside from the inevitable wear and tear.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 25, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

If anyone needs sci-fi cavalry, Victoria Miniatures just launched their Project Warhorse on Kickstarter - $30 for STLs of everything, $50 for siocast 5-man squads.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

If anyone needs sci-fi cavalry, Victoria Miniatures just launched their Project Warhorse on Kickstarter - $30 for STLs of everything, $50 for siocast 5-man squads.

Wow, I was literally just looking at boxes of polish hussars to convert to vostroyan rough riders, this is perfect. Thank you!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have been using what my local art store sells for $10 for a pack. Their student grade stuff. I bought one nice size zero off the rack but I won't use it until I prove I can take care of a brush :(

I messed up the fairly nice brush from a miniature painting set which is what prompted the post.

Edit: The brushes OP linked don't cost any more than the student brushes I've been buying, they just seem to be a well regarded cheap set. Still, I'd like to not euin brushes aside from the inevitable wear and tear.

50 round brushes and 50 flat brushes for $10

https://www.amazon.com/Brushes-Acrylic-Classroom-Watercolor-Painting/dp/B09LH8BTVC/

these are bad, not good, and only for basecoats, sloppy paint jobs, terrain, drybrushing, etc.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

As usual, Vince has you covered on brush care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyTJIvTMAIY

I've got that Jentastic's drunken brush goop from Monument and really like it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought three packs, I really need to get a decent set of brushes.

Relatedly, I need help taking care of my brushes. It seems like I often don't clean them entirely and I come days later and find I've ruined another brush - it'll have that hard shell of dried paint on it. I own a jar of conditioner, obviously I have access to water, paper towels, etc. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm not drying them well enough after rising them off at end? I set them in my kitchen drying rack.

How often do y'all clean your brushes while painting? I rinse mine any time I change colors or models. So in a batch of five marines, if I'm putting a layer paint down on some element, I rinse the brush each time I switch models. It feels often enough?

I think I'm cleaning them thoroughly enough at the end of a session - I've started taking them to the kitchen and using warm water out of the spray nozel to really hose them down, it seemed like swirling them around in the rinsing jar would leave colored residue on the paper towel for many, many rinse cycles? Maybe the water is too hot?

I dunno, it's kind of frustrating to feel like my fine detail brushes are less than ideal after just a handful of painting sessions, somehow I'm really misusing them.

I would probably rinse my brush every time before I re-load it with paint. Only time I might not do that is if the paint is really thin or it's a wash, in which case I might load 2-3x before I rinse. The key point here is to never let the paint dry on the brush, it can do so even as you paint, particularly if you're not using a wet palette as the paint will be drying and curing on the palette. If you're not sure then it's better to rinse more frequently. It will also help keep your results consistent as you're always reloading with fresh paint which behaves in the same way rather than finishing model #5 off with half-cured paint.

I just swirl my brush around my water pot at the end of the session and dry it off - make sure all the paint is gone. If I notice the brush starting to go hard or if there is visible residue then I'll break out the brush conditioner.

Don't overload your brush, the paint should cover 50% of the bristles at most. Too much and the paint will seep into the ferrule and ruin the brush that way. This may be what's ruining your detail brushes. It's a big problem with Contrast type paints as well as they're really liquid so they'll creep up the bristles something fierce. Don't use fine detail brushes for anything apart from fine details. A 0 or 1 brush will take plenty of abuse and the tip will be good enough for most details - it's good to practice with a bigger tip anyway.

If you're using synthetics the tips have a tendency of hooking, I would suggest using a good quality sable brush as they really last a lot longer and are far more hardwearing than cheap brushes. Save cheap brushes for texture paint, slopping on washes and drybrushing since those will ruin brushes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Something people should do for maintaining the cleanliness of brushes is really shaking the poo poo out of them in your water cup. I used to very delicately shake them in the water cup, but now I do it much more forcefully and the brushes come out much cleaner as a result.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also a larger water pot helps on that as you have more room to swish the brush in and the water doesnt saturate with pigment as quickly

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I use synthetic brushes pretty much exclusively, I haven't touched a sable hair or other natural hair brush in probably 15 years or more. I don't like having to fuss over brushes too much; I'll rinse them thoroughly and clean them with brush soap like you're supposed to, but once they start going to poo poo, I'll grab a new pack of cheap brushes and consign the old ones to priming/basecoating/applying washes/etc. duties. So far I've been pretty lucky, they'll usually stand up to 3 or 4 months of usage before they need replacing, and I'll usually grab like one of the $5-10 brush packs from some big box retail or arts and crafts store when I do replace them.

E: also, I don't have a link handy at the moment, but IIRC Midwinter Minis did a video about using a mix of vinegar and hot water to both clean his synthetic brushes and also fix the previously mentioned "hooked tips" problem that synthetic brushes can develop. I've done that a few times with pretty good results.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 25, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My brushes definitely hook, I'll find that video and check it out, thanks.

I believe I'm being careful about the amount of paint I'm using; I think I'm letting the paint partially dry on the brush. I'll start rinsing more frequently.

I ordered one of the linked hundred packs so now I should have both a selection of cheap brushes for layer and technical and a smaller but still considerable stock pile of nicer brushes for detail work. Thanks all.

Edit: watched both videos, good stuff.

I was using hot water in my cup, going to quit doing that. I also see Vince is drying his brushes a LOT less than me, I think since they're getting so clean from his rinsing there's zero struggle and drying is just a couple draws along the paper towel.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 25, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I rinse my brush off if I'm not using it for the next like 10 seconds or the paint stops going on as smoothly. I've been using the same sables for the last 3 years but they've lost their precision points over time because of bad painting habits (unable to resist the urge to poke instead of drag) but still work fine for stuff other than dotting eyeballs, no curl or crustiness.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was using hot water in my cup, going to quit doing that. I also see Vince is drying his brushes a LOT less than me, I think since they're getting so clean from his rinsing there's zero struggle and drying is just a couple draws along the paper towel.

You don't want your brushes bone dry when you load them (unless you're drybrushing). Having them damp means the water doesn't draw out of the paint into the brush, causing it to dry out. Also a damp brush keeps the tip.

If my brush is clean and dry I'll dip it in water pot and reform the tip before reloading.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
This video is amazing for keeping a brush tip / learning brush loading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQFlYW3g_I

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

My wallet screams as I dream of 30k militia cav armies. I have literally no idea how to paint horses though.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Jack B Nimble posted:

I dunno, it's kind of frustrating to feel like my fine detail brushes are less than ideal after just a handful of painting sessions, somehow I'm really misusing them.

Strongly consider a sable hair brush.

You’re fighting with poo poo brushes and a large part of the problem is they’re poo poo brushes.

Sable hair reacts well to cleaning, holds a tip far longer and (given some practice) their lifespan is multi year, not several months.

Also: be more aggressive when you wash your brush out in the cup, you want some white caps in there. But *dont* hit the brush to the bottom of the cup. Just side to side.

No need to dry the brush after washing it, just run it across the back of your hand once or twice. That’s heaps.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Alrighty, I am selling the bulk of my miniature collection, and I wanted to make sure as many eyes saw the auctions on eBay as possible, because there are some bargains to be had and I want them to find a good home (that is not my home).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=126021084786&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=bachtere

I started painting back in 2000 when I was in high school. Even back then, I loved the idea of just collecting miniatures almost as much as painting them. They are small and cool and you can tuck them away in a closet quite easily. I always told myself, “one of these days”, as the collection grew and grew, even as I was actively painting quite a bit. The last ten years or so, my painting has dropped off to almost nothing. It was great to do solo in a one bedroom apartment, not so much in a house with a girlfriend and cats and dogs. But I would still buy new figures; Kickstarters were great for growing the collection. Over the years I was able to override that urge to horde and have sold this and that, easier to sell items like new in box GW plastic and Confrontation metals. Which still left me with a poo poo ton of models.

And a poo poo ton of models are currently up on eBay. I have roughly 85 auctions ongoing, ending this Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and next Tuesday. Sadly, a lot of this collection is niche and won't draw much interest. All started at roughly 75% off of retail, these are probably once in a lifetime prices for some of these models. If you just want something to paint, no need to pay 2023 gaming prices, prices are partying like its 1995 in my lots. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out of eBay or here, happy to help get them answered.

Reaper metal – 30 lots of 9 figures each, these end next Tuesday
Mierce resin, a massive amount of figures from their Kickstarters over the years. Super detailed resin figs, all shapes and sizes, races, monsters
GW plastic, no new in box, though some complete unassembled sprues, odd this’s and that’s
Avatars of War metal, GW rip off heroes and villains
Confrontation metal Orcs, the last of my Confrontation figs
Dust Tactics plastic walkers
Eden metal, Japanese inspired robots
Enigma metal, dark fantasy
Gamezone metal, GW army copycats but with their own style
Dystopian Wars, resin fleet battle
Uncharted Seas and Firestorm Armada, older resin fleet battles
Greebo metal, huge lot from their Kickstarters
Helldorado metal, both new and assembled/based
Imbrian Arts metal and resin, Confrontation-esque, cool models
Kensei metal, enormous lot of Japanese mythological creatures
Kingdom Death, no cheesecake, just some cool knights
Raging Heroes resin, another enormous lot from Kickstarters
Red Box Games resin and metal, great barbarians
Relic Knights plastic
Ron and Bones metal, pirates
Scibor resin, huge lots, both Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Smog and Mauser Earth resin, 1:35 scale alternate earth
Stonehaven metal and resin – Hundreds of metal figures from multiple Kickstarters, 24 troll/giant figures
Warmachine/Hordes – Cryx/Menoth/Minions lot

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bachtere posted:

Alrighty, I am selling the bulk of my miniature collection, and I wanted to make sure as many eyes saw the auctions on eBay as possible, because there are some bargains to be had and I want them to find a good home (that is not my home).

seems like it might be a good idea to post in sa-mart, too

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Thanks for the reminder, hopefully that will help.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Bachtere i remember when you used to post your painted minis. I always loved your paint style. Glowing colours and very deliberate painterly marks. I haven’t seen any of your work in years. Can you post some of the stuff you’ve been doing lately?

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Beffer posted:

Bachtere i remember when you used to post your painted minis. I always loved your paint style. Glowing colours and very deliberate painterly marks. I haven’t seen any of your work in years. Can you post some of the stuff you’ve been doing lately?

Thanks! To make everyone who remembers those Bretonnians feel old, that was over 13 years ago. My Instagram handle is bachtere as well if anyone wants to hop on and take a trip down memory lane of all of my good stuff over the years.

Here are some of my more recent* minis:

*3-5 years ago

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
That's some good looking stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished painting this bad boy (for now)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Nice Knight, who'd it belong to originally?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Beautiful. After I finish my Blood Angel and Tyranids I plan to do knights someday, that will be my "get an airbrush and learn to use it" army.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

OK, so warm grey midtone, shaded with red/pink?

Here are some 8mm Battle Brothers:

I thought I'd try a goblin green + sand + drybrush yellow for the sake of variety seeing as the light grey and yellow is pretty pale, but I'm not sure it works at all!

I think the bases work and I love the models.
The completed unit works.

Are those printed?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ez8 posted:

I think the bases work and I love the models.
The completed unit works.

Are those printed?

Thank You, yes. I have recently got a 3-D printer so I’m putting it through its paces. Although my bog standard Marines are Mk7 I am trying to use as many of the RT era designs as possible.

I’ve gone with the mud base, same as my Tyranids: they need washing and highlighting and flocking, but it’s all about 90% done. Cheers!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Painted some minis for the Nemesis board game. 28mm is a bit too small for my preference, but I like the way these came out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Nice Knight, who'd it belong to originally?

Oh that's [REDACTED]

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished my shanties from The Lazy Forger

shanty mcmansion:

its got some soda for you

a house

pipe building with gaffiti

full shanty town, with sets #1 and #2

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
more like squintytown, amirite?

Those look amazing!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
how do you paint these things? i have to see your set-up

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

My Spirit Otter posted:

how do you paint these things? i have to see your set-up

nothing special really, definitely a budget setup

one brush i use for 99% of all painting. two lamps and a homemade wet palette. all my paint just sits in a drawer. i dont use any magnification

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i am thoroughly shocked youre not using magnification. what size brush are you using?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

My Spirit Otter posted:

i am thoroughly shocked youre not using magnification. what size brush are you using?

i use a size 0 W&N series 7. ive gone through several of them because sometimes i forget to clean them and sometimes i do some dry brushing but forget to switch to an old brush D:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My Spirit Otter posted:

A friend of mine thinks they're a robot. My theory is that they're human, but just really tiny.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Big snake done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

nothing special really, definitely a budget setup

one brush i use for 99% of all painting. two lamps and a homemade wet palette. all my paint just sits in a drawer. i dont use any magnification

Okay but where'd the terrain come from?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Big snake done.

Yes, I did check to make sure you went red-to-yellow and not red-to-black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?