Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/eight-search-warrants-issued-trump-classified-documents-case-new-filin-rcna96228

nbc posted:

Eight search warrants and affidavits were filed in connection with the federal case involving former President Donald Trump's mishandling of classified documents that resulted in a slew of criminal charges against him, according to recently unsealed court motions.

The motions were filed in connection with the ongoing efforts by media organizations, including NBC News, to obtain access to much of the information in the search warrant served on Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, Fla., last year.

Prosecutors filed a motion in June with the federal court overseeing the case, requesting permission to disclose the warrants...

The seven other search warrants don't necessarily mean the FBI agents and the Justice Department officials searched seven other physical locations....

"The government, accordingly, has never publicly revealed the existence of any of its search warrant applications, or even the number of warrants at issue; it sought a limited unsealing of the instant search warrant application only after the former President publicly revealed its existence," they said....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gregday posted:

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1683940257966747651

Nothing groundbreaking in here, but a couple of interesting details.

Oh, yeah. The way black people killed by cops always get their trials moved downtown Chicago

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So they had a transcript from the hearing with Cannon other the court date and potential pretrial motions. One of the guests notes that March would be perfect, but it's pointed out that another trial has been set for March.

The defense then attempts to claim that preparation will take forever because of the novel issues in the case, which the guests point out as ridiculous and absurd. Instead of going with the December date, or even January (which admittedly could get delayed on top of the March trial), Cannon went with the soft, delayed position.

https://youtu.be/LIkaqO9qBvk

It's going to be real fun in July when "Whine 2024" finally begins after the delays, and it hits appeals in October.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

BiggerBoat posted:

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1683940257966747651
Oh, yeah. The way black people killed by cops always get their trials moved downtown Chicago
I had to read the tweet three times trying to understand their emphasis before I gave up and read the article. I'll give it a try:

"Lawyers plan immediate appeal to the Trump-appointed Supreme Court of any trial outcome in DC, claiming jury discrimination, even though indictments have not yet been filed".

"Our client chose to commit crimes in a 6% Republican district, so the case should be moved, but the stolen documents should remain in Florida with its T appointed chudge and 87% Republican juries".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's very cool that basically our entire democracy is hanging by the thread of our legal system working correctly like one time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I had to read the tweet three times trying to understand their emphasis before I gave up and read the article. I'll give it a try:

It's perfectly understandable, what's unclear about it?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cr0y posted:

It's very cool that basically our entire democracy is hanging by the thread of our legal system working correctly like one time.

Nah. As huge as this is, as much this already should have destroyed him in a sane country, this is still technically a sideshow.

As long as he has the nomination, it’s gonna come down to the election. And who even loving knows with these people, they support him after all the objectively horrible things he’s done. How could we tell if they have a tipping point before it happens, if it ever does?

Obviously I still want to see him nailed to the wall, but if he’s elected he can just pardon himself.

I don’t want to sound histrionic, but I think the 2024 election might be pretty important.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah. As huge as this is, as much this already should have destroyed him in a sane country, this is still technically a sideshow.

As long as he has the nomination, it’s gonna come down to the election. And who even loving knows with these people, they support him after all the objectively horrible things he’s done. How could we tell if they have a tipping point before it happens, if it ever does?

Obviously I still want to see him nailed to the wall, but if he’s elected he can just pardon himself.

I don’t want to sound histrionic, but I think the 2024 election might be pretty important.

Yeah he's going to try one cool trick that prosecutors hate by being president again. I think the odds of him winning are very low (the party has had nothing but massive electoral defeats since 2016), but the chances of the Republicans nominating a convicted criminal at the convention in July 2024 are very high.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Name Change posted:

Yeah he's going to try one cool trick that prosecutors hate by being president again. I think the odds of him winning are very low (the party has had nothing but massive electoral defeats since 2016), but the chances of the Republicans nominating a convicted criminal at the convention in July 2024 are very high.

"my pet justices will bail me out!!!" has also not served him well basically any time he's tried it in the past and he's tried it a number of times.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

eke out posted:

"my pet justices will bail me out!!!" has also not served him well basically any time he's tried it in the past and he's tried it a number of times.
True. In relation to that, just saw this article.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/07/next-trump-indictment-supreme-court-jack-smith.html

quote:

The Supreme Court Might Have Just Handed Jack Smith a Powerful New Tool

the June 27 Supreme Court ruling bears on this potential way to charge the civil rights statute. In Counterman v. Colorado, the court held 7–2 that “a mental state of recklessness” for threatening violence is sufficient to prove “true threats,” words that “lie outside the bounds of the First Amendment’s protection.” Recklessness means that the person issuing the threat “consciously disregarded a substantial risk that his communications would be viewed as threatening violence.”

That shoe fits Trump like custom footwear measured and made in Milan. Indeed, in Watts v. United States, the leading case on what takes a threat out of the realm of free-speech protection, the court identified three factors to determine whether a threat was real or hyperbole: 1) the context in which it was issued; 2) whether there were conditions attached; and 3) the reaction of listeners or the recipient.

The context on Jan. 6 made absolutely clear that Trump’s words were meant to put a target on Pence’s back. With the raging Capitol mob already inside the halls of Congress, Trump’s ripping Pence for lack of courage was reckless beyond imagination.

As for conditionality, the tweet included none. It was unlike the defendant’s statement in Watts, in which a war protester said that if he were inducted into the Army (an event he said would never happen) and if he had President Lyndon Johnson in his sights (he wasn’t armed), he would shoot.

As for listeners, Sarah Matthews, White House communications aide, saw the tweet in real time and testified to the Jan. 6 committee that it was “pouring gasoline on the fire.” Deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger resigned on the spot.

Meanwhile, Meadows’ top aide, Cassidy Hutchinson, testified to the committee that she heard Meadows say Trump’s reaction to the “Hang Mike Pence” chants was that his vice president “deserves it.” This was in line with Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy’s reported description of Trump reacting approvingly to the mob’s violent threats.

The committee reported that another set of key listeners, the mob inside and outside the Capitol, surged immediately after Trump sent the tweet.

Even Mike Pence, who has avoided calling the president’s actions criminal, said they were “reckless,” the Supreme Court’s precise new standard under Counterman.

As always, Trump has defended his outrageous conduct. When ABC’s Jonathan Karl asked Trump if he was worried about his supporters in the Capitol mob chanting “Hang Mike Pence,” Trump answered, “No. I thought he was well protected.”

In fact, as the Jan. 6 committee reported, Pence was not evacuated to a security space in the Capitol until two minutes after Trump’s tweet. Pence avoided the mob by just 40 feet.

Only after the indictment is filed will we know the specific allegations supporting the charge of conspiring to deprive someone of their rights and privileges under the law. Smith and the grand jury have many options. But as for making Trump’s Molotov-cocktail tweet of Jan. 6 a focal point, the Supreme Court has opened a door.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I didn’t mean that as some kind of O no he’s going scott free run for your lives ahhhhhh thing. Just trying to maintain an accurate assessment of stakes in a chaotic environment.

I’m actually oddly hopeful somehow. The Republican party flaming out might mean somebody, somewhere could maybe do a government for a change.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, a younger person I know was just bemoaning how people keep saying "every election is the most important one of your life."

Gee. As the fascists keep loving coming, I wonder people keep saying that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

tracecomplete posted:

Yeah, a younger person I know was just bemoaning how people keep saying "every election is the most important one of your life."

Honestly, current events track very well with my concerns when I first started voting and probably offer an opportunity for a more specific admonition: Your vote today is the supreme court in 25 years.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Honestly, current events track very well with my concerns when I first started voting and probably offer an opportunity for a more specific admonition: Your vote today is the supreme court in 25 years.

but i want it noooooow

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tracecomplete posted:

Somehow, and it's by no means unique to either side of the political spectrum, lots of people seem to have formed the idea that there will be One Election That Solves Everything, as if representative democracy is a video game level and there's a final boss to defeat.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Somehow, and it's by no means unique to either side of the political spectrum, lots of people seem to have formed the idea that there will be One Election That Solves Everything, as if representative democracy is a video game level and there's a final boss to defeat.

It makes sense if you, as the saying goes, view representative democracy as a train that you get off of once it reaches your station.

Though that just changes it to people who haven't formed the idea that if there was a last election that settles things indefinitely, it's not going to be based on what the candidate promised, much less on what you wanted out of them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

Not really, no. None of these lawsuits are going to save democracy.

The problem isn't that Trump is a fascist. The problem is that he convinced an entire political party to go all-in on fascism, and got 74 million people running out to the polls in the middle of a pandemic to cast their vote in favor of fascism.

Even if he goes to prison, those hundreds of GOP fascist politicians and those tens of millions of fascist GOP voters are still gonna be out there.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gotta remember that Trump isn’t the disease, he’s a symptom. Even if (major if) he ever faces justice that doesn’t mean the far right is done for and America will become a utopia. It’ll only mean one rich rear end in a top hat got a tiny bit of what they deserve.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Main Paineframe posted:

Not really, no. None of these lawsuits are going to save democracy.

The problem isn't that Trump is a fascist. The problem is that he convinced an entire political party to go all-in on fascism, and got 74 million people running out to the polls in the middle of a pa
demic to cast their vote in favor of fascism.

Even if he goes to prison, those hundreds of GOP fascist politicians and those tens of millions of fascist GOP voters are still gonna be out there.

He didn't convince the GOP to go fascist. They've been that way since at least Reagan. The only thing Trump did was empower them to bring their lovely agenda out in the open instead of keeping it in the shadows

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'd agree that they've been that way for a long time but Trump was a particularly useful vehicle for that and made it public and acceptable in a way that it hadn't been in decades.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Rudy now admits (after getting sued) that he lied about the two election workers passing a thumb drive full of election data that was actually a piece of candy.
They were then harassed by Trumpers over the phone and at their homes and about relentlessly.

Yet somehow within the same statement...
"But Mr. Giuliani, insisting that he still had “legal defenses” in the case, said that he continued to believe his accusations about Ms. Freeman and Ms. Moss were “constitutionally protected” under the First Amendment. He also refused to acknowledge that his statements had caused the women any damage — a key element required to collect a judgment in a defamation case."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/rudy-giuliani-concedes-made-false-statements-georgia-election-workers-rcna96395
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1684191832488509442

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ruby Freeman's testimony during the J6 Committee still gives me chills a year later. God gently caress that dude.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I wonder if it's to avoid producing some discovery material that would jeopardize other Republicans.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

duodenum posted:

I wonder if it's to avoid producing some discovery material that would jeopardize other Republicans.

Looks like it’s mostly just to cut down on his own legal fees since what he said was obviously and demonstrably false.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1684546735614431232

Vote today?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1684535371000840194

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Listen, I know it may seem like big news that everything I was saying about fraud was itself fraudulent, but trust me when I say this stuff that makes me look like I was knowingly committing fraud was actually all part of the plan and not actually news. I see no reason why you shouldn't trust me."

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

It's not lying if it's for your own benefit, everyone knows that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Reporting on something I said is fake news because I didn't really mean it when I said it

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Trump team meeting with defense counsel today.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Zotix posted:

Trump team meeting with defense counsel today.

https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1684575659728019456

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Bring it on.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is "admission arguendo" an actual term or his just trying to "ad hom. Reductio ad absurdum. QED." his way out of crimes. Or, of course, both.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

projecthalaxy posted:

Is "admission arguendo" an actual term or his just trying to "ad hom. Reductio ad absurdum. QED." his way out of crimes. Or, of course, both.

It's a real thing, but it doesn't mean what he says it means. That's just "admission for the sake of argument," and it's used to make hypothetical arguments, e.g. "for the sake of argument, let's agree for the moment that I did all those crime things. I'm still not guilty because the plaintiff didn't prove this one element of the crime." When you do that, you aren't in fact admitting to the thing (because it's a hypothetical), but it's not a magic spell that gets you out of having said a dumb thing retroactively.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1684581835719036929

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

When can we expect this? What was the turnaround time for the documents one? I'm pretty sure it was a few days.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

My birthday is on Tuesday. I'm kind of hoping it drops then for a hell of a present.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Meatball posted:

When can we expect this? What was the turnaround time for the documents one? I'm pretty sure it was a few days.

last time the jury voted on the 5th and trump posted about it on the 8th

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
If he should expect an indictment, does that mean the grand jury has already decided and they just haven't announced it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"There's no good or bad, there's just news"...

NBC website doesn't say when, but this Xout/twat says "as early as today".

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1684584758980886528

ps I think I'll start calling them Xits (pronounced sh).

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 27, 2023