Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was about to protest as a fem Au Ra tank main, but all my tank glams are obvious job gear and/or have giant fuckoff weapons I don't hide, so I suppose I'm not part of the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Elezen are too rare to form a pattern

We're DPS

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't hide my weapons, but as a roe that mains mage/healer, I have occasionally dressed as much like a tank as possible.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m sorry I can’t hear you over the sound of my Fem Ra’s Fire IVs.

Also I wear my giant staves in public. :colbert:

(I only hide my weapons when they clip, like with my DNC glam that uses the Songbird dress, or they look kinda silly (the Makai handgun still being on the back when sheathed).)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leather and plate are a good look on Roe, regardless of role.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not saying this is 100% accurate, just that when I am looking for an Aetheric to Mimic that is my usual starting point.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think a support debuff class is more likely than a DoT mage myself, but part of that can be DoTs. The thing that springs to mind for me is reverse bard design, long duration dots similar to the songs with long cooldowns.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ojjeorago posted:

The playerbase right now:

This picture just hit me with how much of a difference a tiny thing like making characters look at something can do. It just looks really off, not seeing the kid and Tidus looking at each other.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think a support debuff class is more likely than a DoT mage myself, but part of that can be DoTs. The thing that springs to mind for me is reverse bard design, long duration dots similar to the songs with long cooldowns.

What would a debuff in this game even look like beyond DoTs, vuln ups, and damage downs

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

What would a debuff in this game even look like beyond DoTs, vuln ups, and damage downs

Crit rate/damage up, dhit rate/damage up, vuln up. When I said reverse bard that's literally what I meant, Bard songs as boss target debuffs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kheldarn posted:

We're DPS

To clarify: we're usually around as DPS, but if you ask us we'll swap to anything because no elezen is half-hearted about the game.

Added curveball, though, particularly from an RP server: any hyur or elezen with a Romanesque name is either DPS or tank, because they're actually playing a pureblood Garlean and as a result are almost always either Machinist or Gunbreaker. (Also maybe don't hang around them for any longer than it takes to get Aetherial Mimicry, because in my experience the 'pureblood Garlean RPers' have a higher than average chance of being antagonistic jerks.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That sounds like a good way to make sure that job is seen as necessary for every single piece of content in the game

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lord_Magmar posted:

Crit rate/damage up, dhit rate/damage up, vuln up. When I said reverse bard that's literally what I meant, Bard songs as boss target debuffs.

Those are just damage up with extra steps.

And worse, random.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Could also do some debuff that heals people when people hit the afflicted target, or something that compiles damage and then pops like Macrocosmos (but probably not at a 50% scale)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Onean posted:

This picture just hit me with how much of a difference a tiny thing like making characters look at something can do. It just looks really off, not seeing the kid and Tidus looking at each other.
This is actually just hinting that tidus is a ghost, like in the sixth sense

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Those are just damage up with extra steps.

And worse, random.

So is bard songs? Like, I think the back bone of a debuff support dps mage being reverse (boss target debuffs rather than player party group buffs) bard songs is entirely reasonable.

The goal is to create a caster who "feels" like they're applying a lot of curses and negative effects to a target, even if those individually aren't huge benefits.

Short duration (9 second) dot spell with other spells that do damage based on how many debuffs you have applied, a burst window with an even stronger version of the latter and some big 25 second vuln up ala trick attack.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

That sounds like a good way to make sure that job is seen as necessary for every single piece of content in the game

is bard seen as necessary in every piece of content?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Red Metal posted:

is bard seen as necessary in every piece of content?

no but there's a distinct value difference in a job applying debuffs to a boss vs applying buffs to the party

there's a reason ninjas were seen as necessary for a long, long time until they finally broke trick attack's kneecaps, and that's one debuff. You want to give a job like five of those? It's not gonna fly.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
why would the debuff job get five trick attack strength debuffs that stack when the buff job (bard) gets three way weaker buffs that are mutually exclusive

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

no but there's a distinct value difference in a job applying debuffs to a boss vs applying buffs to the party

there's a reason ninjas were seen as necessary for a long, long time until they finally broke trick attack's kneecaps, and that's one debuff. You want to give a job like five of those? It's not gonna fly.

They would only have one trick attack level debuff, which would be situated at the same time as actual trick attack. The other debuffs would literally be the same power as bard buffs just applied to an enemy. The comparison is Bard having Battle Voice (10% damage increase, 15 second duration) every 2 minutes vs the songs (1% increase, 45 seconds etc).

Also Ninja has extremely high personal damage for how much party benefit trick attack also gives, my idea would be a caster with a Bard/Dancer damage profile in terms of personal damage vs damage from allies.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 26, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
At one point in the game's development a debuff-focused job might've been viable if it were more about status ailments. Slapping down Silence, Paralysis, Darkness and the like and having them actually have effect.

I don't think you can do that now, because the game's just been designed around the assumption those are enemy tools to inflict on us for so long that it'd be impossible to go back and re-evaluate.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I would like a consumable to change your BLU alignment. Make it have a 5 minute cool down, idgaf just don't make me go lick a buncha randos because someone in the party decided they didn't want to be a healer and I gotta change over.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

To clarify: we're usually around as DPS, but if you ask us we'll swap to anything because no elezen is half-hearted about the game.

I only play DPS.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
They could probably make a DoT-stacking job work by making the DoTs themselves live in the player character's job gauge and just have the character hang a single Reaper-style debuff onto enemies that basically acts as a tracking pin for outgoing damage ticks.

Like, every three seconds, the game looks at which specific plates you've got spinning, compiles them, and just sticks that amount of damage once onto the enemy you have marked. Maybe it stacks half to a third of that damage onto every enemy you threw your AoE mark onto instead.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ImpAtom posted:

My general rule of thumb is that Au'ra or Miqo'te ladies are probably healers, Viera or Roe are probably tanks, Hyurs and Au'ra/Miqo'te male are almost always DPS and Lalafell are wild cards. H'rothgar and Elezen are too rare to form a pattern

I swear I see more midlanders as RDM than as any other job.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

my elflady rear end has too much anxiety to do anything but dps anymore

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

They could probably make a DoT-stacking job work by making the DoTs themselves live in the player character's job gauge and just have the character hang a single Reaper-style debuff onto enemies that basically acts as a tracking pin for outgoing damage ticks.

Like, every three seconds, the game looks at which specific plates you've got spinning, compiles them, and just sticks that amount of damage once onto the enemy you have marked. Maybe it stacks half to a third of that damage onto every enemy you threw your AoE mark onto instead.

I sincerely wonder if this is, given the spaghetti we know underlies this game, technically possible

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

World War Mammories posted:

I sincerely wonder if this is, given the spaghetti we know underlies this game, technically possible

This version is just keeping track of player buffs and then doing server tick damage to a designated target. It's probably technically doable.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

absolutely not, "interesting" stats nearly always lead to either "one correct option and a bunch of trap options" or "having to go back and farm antiquated content for a single item with outsized power gains"

Yeah, I got sick of this kind of minmaxing bullshit long ago. Same with skill trees.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Brd or mch is required, they're the only ones with access to some of the biggest and therefore best hats in the game

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kyrosiris posted:

absolutely not, "interesting" stats nearly always lead to either "one correct option and a bunch of trap options" or "having to go back and farm antiquated content for a single item with outsized power gains"

They could do more interesting stats and just silo them off into something like bozja or maybe make them overworld only.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Bruceski posted:

That I can work with, thanks.

One tweak though, looking at a screenshot I took with that in mind (markers are weird, we were guessing)...

The ones near the camera on the diagonals aren't looking at the corners but between them is the safe spot. Given that I'd say "find the ones looking into the center, they define the safe spot". For example 1 and 2 are looking at the center with their left/right arms raised (respectively) so the safe diamond is D. And D/A are looking in with arms raised toward each other so the safe square is 2 (that's a corner rather than the middle).

I don't know if it's always the area opposite them that's safe, it was on every screenshot I took but that's a sample size of four.

Sorry, I just realized I said "facing" which is what my friends were calling it, but I actually meant their arms were pointing out? So their aoe is going out, not that the adds are facing out.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sentient Data posted:

Brd or mch is required, they're the only ones with access to some of the biggest and therefore best hats in the game

Sorry, but this video contradicts you and thus one of you is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCx9xN9wJ-g

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://twitter.com/jackakajorge/status/1683677369251549184

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Last time I went round looking for a rando to lick someone noticed what I was doing, said "me" and was indeed a healer

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Cleretic posted:

Added curveball, though, particularly from an RP server: any hyur or elezen with a Romanesque name is either DPS or tank, because they're actually playing a pureblood Garlean and as a result are almost always either Machinist or Gunbreaker. (Also maybe don't hang around them for any longer than it takes to get Aetherial Mimicry, because in my experience the 'pureblood Garlean RPers' have a higher than average chance of being antagonistic jerks.)

I play a Gelmorran revanchist RPer, fear I'm also not beating these allegations (no! wait! I'm lovely!)

"Extremely specific RPer" is definitely a type of Elezen though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

lines posted:

I play a Gelmorran revanchist RPer, fear I'm also not beating these allegations (no! wait! I'm lovely!)

"Extremely specific RPer" is definitely a type of Elezen though.

I know you mean your character is a revanchist, but "Gelmorran revanchist RPer" just makes me picture the Duskwight equivalent of Civil War reenactors or the people who work at Colonial Williamsburg

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had to look up wtf revanchist was

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kerrzhe posted:

i had to look up wtf revanchist was

play Disco Elysium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel