Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Any recommendations/warnings for https://store.steampowered.com/app/1959350/Homebody/? Timeloop slasher teenage thing, sounds like it's good but have some writing and/or pacing issues.

Played through the whole thing yesterday B/c of this thread and it was a loving blast. It falls apart a bit at the end but it was a really really fun ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still can't believe a mere two years after he was the legendary voice of Ghostface in Scream, one of the biggest Horror movies of all time, Roger Jackson was the voice of Bates in the no budget, no good Clock Tower 2. What happened?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
He had a mortgage to pay like anyone else. :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

NikkolasKing posted:

I still can't believe a mere two years after he was the legendary voice of Ghostface in Scream, one of the biggest Horror movies of all time, Roger Jackson was the voice of Bates in the no budget, no good Clock Tower 2. What happened?

Goosebumps: Escape from Horrorland, the FMV game, had Jeff Goldblum show up in it three years after Jurassic Park.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

catlord posted:

Goosebumps: Escape from Horrorland, the FMV game, had Jeff Goldblum show up in it three years after Jurassic Park.

Man I loved that game.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Man I loved that game.

It was so good, it seared “The Scarecrow Walks At Midnight” into my brain at like age 6. The other goosebumps game (rise of the mutants? I think) was also fun but I don’t remember it being quite as good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I got a demo disk for that one at taco bell? I think and was not impressed.

I was scared to death of the sewers(?) in horror land that I think I skipped them on every playthrough lol.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
Lmao same, I think I went in them one time and got mauled. Never again after that

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I would get scared when you'd get busted for snooping in the Nancy Drew PC games... :kiddo: The one I played the most was one in a ski lodge, I think.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think VA work for a horror franchise is quite the prestige project you think it is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Look at the absolute reams of trash Robert Englund has been in, and that guy's actually a physical actor

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

He's mostly famous for that trash too! :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Read After Burning posted:

I would get scared when you'd get busted for snooping in the Nancy Drew PC games... :kiddo: The one I played the most was one in a ski lodge, I think.

I legit had nightmares for days as a kid because of the loving ghost dog cabin one because I grew up far enough outside of town/into the forest that it was real easy for my kid brain to go "and now YOU'LL get mauled by dogs!!!"

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Probably been brought up in the the thread before but WORLD OF HORROR is one of the best horror games out there IMO. Really drips with style. Tons of replayability. It's a game that understand the fear of the unknown, and isn't reliant on cliques and jump scares.

I bring it up, because the switch port comes out soon. I know I'll be buying the game again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Busters posted:

Probably been brought up in the the thread before but WORLD OF HORROR is one of the best horror games out there IMO. Really drips with style. Tons of replayability. It's a game that understand the fear of the unknown, and isn't reliant on cliques and jump scares.

I bring it up, because the switch port comes out soon. I know I'll be buying the game again.

I want to play this game but I get the feeling that I'm going to get far too annoyed by the random chance stuff in the game that I wouldn't want to continue if I got some bad rolls that screwed my run.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That’s the real knock, yeah — very RNG-focused in a way that can take you out of it.

I think WHO IS LILA is an overall the better lo-fi weird horror indie, but obviously it’s not in the same overt-Junji-Ito tribute business

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Morpheus posted:

I want to play this game but I get the feeling that I'm going to get far too annoyed by the random chance stuff in the game that I wouldn't want to continue if I got some bad rolls that screwed my run.

It's not full on Dwarf Fortress "Loosing is fun". But part of the fun is getting spooked when you fail an event, or when [SOMETHING TRULY EVIL] finds you.

Also, it's less RNG because every encounter offers you two, if not four choices. So you just have to play to your character's strengths. So if you were offered "Run" or "Hide" and high DEX character has a much better chance of succeding at "Run" and KNW might be better at hiding

On the other hand, there's a difficulty select, and the lowest level of difficulty is so easy, that you should be able to complete every mystery using it - unlock some items, and make normal runs even easier.

Basic Chunnel posted:

That’s the real knock, yeah — very RNG-focused in a way that can take you out of it.

I think WHO IS LILA is an overall the better lo-fi weird horror indie, but obviously it’s not in the same overt-Junji-Ito tribute business

Is WHO IS LILA a single run-through game with one narrative?

Busters fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 27, 2023

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
Haven’t seen it mentioned at all but Oxenfree 2 came out a couple of weeks ago. I played the original so long ago I’m not sure if I can trust my memory on how well they compare, but I think I liked the first one a little more.

The writing and acting are still top notch though and I’d highly recommend it if you enjoyed the first one.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Busters posted:

Is WHO IS LILA a single run-through game with one narrative?

It's a single narrative but multiple runs - each path reveals another part of the story. Each path is relatively short, I think the longest I've found was about 20-30 minutes, but some of them are very hard to find.

It's extremely David Lynch and is one of the most unique games I've played.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I remember one Nancy Drew game locking you in a tomb with a very distraught looking corpse and you had a very small window of time to figure out you needed to pry open its mouth to find a key before you'd die of suffocation. poo poo scared the hell out of kid me, those games could go hard.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Enemabag Jones posted:

I remember one Nancy Drew game locking you in a tomb with a very distraught looking corpse and you had a very small window of time to figure out you needed to pry open its mouth to find a key before you'd die of suffocation. poo poo scared the hell out of kid me, those games could go hard.

You know, for kids! :stare:

I found this about it. :allears:

A Buzzfeed article posted:

At its core, Secret of the Scarlet Hand is about completing an unpaid internship at a sketchy museum. Over the course of the game, Nancy solves multiple robberies, helps an amnesia patient regain their memory, and opens a monolith that hasn't been opened since the SEVENTH century for FREE. Not to mention she ends up almost suffocating to death next to a dead body in order to do it while the other suspects offer literally zero help. Instead, they chose to stand outside and wait for her with quippy one-liners in case she manages to escape certain death.

I found it on Youtube as well, that's terrifying. :stare: The two death scenes I remember from the ski lodge one was Nancy freezing to death and Nancy falling from a high place, but suffocating next to a dead body is nightmare fuel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCBkEcvbWk8&t=564s

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 27, 2023

bluespectre
Oct 2, 2021
I loved the Nancy Drew games growing up, but man they scared me more than some horror games. There were just so many hosed up ways to die; I remember in the 4th game you have to sneak somewhere in a building through an elevator shaft, but if you don't set it up right, you'll be forced to look up and watch the elevator come down to crush you to death with an over-the-top *SPLAT* sound. And that was before they started making straight-up horror themed ones like Ghost of Thornton Hall.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Do y'all remember when you could gently caress Brad Dourif over in one of the Myst games, and this insane-looking FMV man would chase after you and bludgeon you to death? :stare:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the all-time great performances of video game IMHO.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Speaking of FMV games I had a time with one as a kid where your four rear end in a top hat friends lock you in a haunted museum or something for reasons. Wish I could remember the name of it

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Speaking of FMV games I had a time with one as a kid where your four rear end in a top hat friends lock you in a haunted museum or something for reasons. Wish I could remember the name of it

Sounds like a game called Shivers!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivers_(video_game)

Full playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll-miF-2Gk4

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

bluespectre posted:

I loved the Nancy Drew games growing up, but man they scared me more than some horror games. There were just so many hosed up ways to die; I remember in the 4th game you have to sneak somewhere in a building through an elevator shaft, but if you don't set it up right, you'll be forced to look up and watch the elevator come down to crush you to death with an over-the-top *SPLAT* sound. And that was before they started making straight-up horror themed ones like Ghost of Thornton Hall.

I have a personal ranking of the Nancy Drew games, but I think Secret of the Old Clock is just my platonic ideal. 1930s throwback aesthetic, all the classic homages and goofy secret passages. Its just Peak what I'm looking for in Nancy Drew. And sneaking in someone's house definitely felt shockingly dangerous if you didn't complete all the clues correctly. In terms of being horror, Curse of Blackmoor Manor is the most eerie Vibes, while Shadow at Water's Edge and Ghost at Thornton Hall are absolutely the most genuinely scary.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ahhhh this is it!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Instant Grat posted:

The original SH2 thankfully isn't going anywhere. If they gently caress it up really bad it'll be an interesting trainwreck to talk about, and if they actually nail it it'll be a pleasant surprise. But as long as no-one's coming to take my PS2 copies away, I'm cool either way.

Too bad there's a lot of people out there that don't have an original copy and also don't have any way to legally play the original

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Improbable Lobster posted:

Too bad there's a lot of people out there that don't have an original copy and also don't have any way to legally play the original

It is very easy to either emulate the PS2 version or get the fanmade Enhanced Edition running on PC, and as long as that's the case I'm not that hung up on how the bloobmake turns out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Instant Grat posted:

It is very easy to either emulate the PS2 version or get the fanmade Enhanced Edition running on PC, and as long as that's the case I'm not that hung up on how the bloobmake turns out

Yeah if Konami would make it so I COULD buy Silent Hill 2 legally I'd have no problem buying it again. Bit since it's practically abandonware I have no problem recommending piracy. It's not hard to find and there's even an Internet archive site you can "borrow" it from.

Enhanced Edition is so good, I tried playing through the PS2 version last year and it just looks so rough compared to the EE. Those guys are doing the Lord's work

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'd be remiss not to mention Nancy Drew has been played by Lani Minella for about two decades, the closest thing games have to a scream queen. I found out about Illbleed later and hearing Nancy Drew's voice come out of Eriko never stopped amusing me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Only dorks care about legality

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Huh, I assumed this game was vaporware a long time ago.

https://twitter.com/adinfinitumgame/status/1684534103583125506

To refresh your memory, this was a trailer from back in ~2016 involving WW1 trenches and some giant demon off in the distance.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 28, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Medullah posted:

[Silent Hill 2] Enhanced Edition is so good, I tried playing through the PS2 version last year and it just looks so rough compared to the EE. Those guys are doing the Lord's work

I super appreciate the bonkers amount of work the EE guys are doing, but I actually prefer the look of the PS2 version running on a CRT. On a modern display, the gamey imperfections are way too noticeable - like the giant blurry JPEG of the town when you exit the bathroom in the beginning. I legit didn't even notice that when I first played it on console.

I recognize that that's a very niche thing that most people are unlikely to have access to though, and hooking a PS2 straight into a modern TV (or using one of those horrible cheapo HDMI upscalers) is likely to look like absolute rear end - in that case, the EE is definitely the way to go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

I super appreciate the bonkers amount of work the EE guys are doing, but I actually prefer the look of the PS2 version running on a CRT. On a modern display, the gamey imperfections are way too noticeable - like the giant blurry JPEG of the town when you exit the bathroom in the beginning. I legit didn't even notice that when I first played it on console.

I recognize that that's a very niche thing that most people are unlikely to have access to though, and hooking a PS2 straight into a modern TV (or using one of those horrible cheapo HDMI upscalers) is likely to look like absolute rear end - in that case, the EE is definitely the way to go.

Silent Hill is definitely a series that benefitted a lot from being designed to work with the limitations of the tech of the time rather than against them. I do think that it's less to do with display technology though and more with the fact that the default settings on emulators often aren't 100% authentic to the original hardware (like rendering at HD resolutions) and it can help a lot to just tweak things down a bit.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Also very possible! I admit I've never tried that, the usual instinct with emulators of 3D systems is to crank it up as big as it can go

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nerdietalk posted:

I have a personal ranking of the Nancy Drew games, but I think Secret of the Old Clock is just my platonic ideal. 1930s throwback aesthetic, all the classic homages and goofy secret passages. Its just Peak what I'm looking for in Nancy Drew. And sneaking in someone's house definitely felt shockingly dangerous if you didn't complete all the clues correctly. In terms of being horror, Curse of Blackmoor Manor is the most eerie Vibes, while Shadow at Water's Edge and Ghost at Thornton Hall are absolutely the most genuinely scary.

I recently played through Ghost of Thorton Hall with my wife who is a megafan as a series and yeah its surprisingly good at doing little bits of spook when you turn a corner. It would also probably have been a lot more scary if I didn't have her going "oh fuzcsk don't shake that door or it's going to kill you".

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
And here my early horror game experiences that shouldn't really be all that scary came from, like, Last Half of Darkness and Hugo's House of Horrors, haha. Granted, I was also way too young for those at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Morpheus posted:

It's not that bad, the game's scenarios are on the short side. It's sort of based on the Arkham Horror board game so if you are familiar with that you know what to expect.