Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I think of those kids just needs to die in Kevin and Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Camp Bullshit+Possum Shenanigans is making me really hate this comic right now.

...just right now?

watching it go by at high speed is an endless reminder of how repetitive it is

easter murder
regular murder
camp murder
regular murder
gardening murder
regular murder
school murder
regular murder
office murder

and yet it's still the best comic this guy puts out

god i hate it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Holbrook ran out of ideas for K&K early on and has been phoning it in ever since. I vaguely miss the old comics where he would try and tackle some real-life issue with a poorly-thought out story because at least he was actually trying to say something every once in a while.

Now it's just these very uncomfortable attempted child murders. And this recent batch proves how insane the people who run these camps are for placing the prey children so close to kids who won't hesitate to kill them when the teacher's not looking.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
but we will never actually see any kids get eaten but still have to believe the threat, and the protags and their friends are always ready with a zinger of a one-liner at the end panel.

just call it Mary Sue Zooverse at this point.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

hexwren posted:

...just right now?

watching it go by at high speed is an endless reminder of how repetitive it is

easter murder
regular murder
camp murder
regular murder
gardening murder
regular murder
school murder
regular murder
office murder

and yet it's still the best comic this guy puts out

god i hate it
It's like having a shopping cart with a poo poo wheel and current confluences means that it's the back two wheels that are currently poo poo and just grinding loudly on the floor as I push it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EndOfTheWorld posted:

You know, I've been reading it for as long as people have been posting it in these threads, and I still remain amazed by Compu-Toon's Charles Boyce's ability to stay ignorant about how computers, like, work and function and exist in the world. It's like the anti-XKCD.

I maintain that what happened was, Charles Boyce came into an office with a pitch he'd been working on, and the publisher said "Forget all that, what do you know about computers?" And Boyce lied and said "Oh yeah I'm really into them, I love all that tech stuff."

And he's been riding that lie ever since.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

"OMG you're looking for ways to improve your craft?! What a loser lmao!"

Go fight an ice cream truck, Bernice.

Gil Thorp

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Bernice saw that people were starting to loathe the other characters and wanted to make sure everyone knew who the most loathsome was.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 01/02–09/1997

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 5-6, 1961)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

That's it? The whole spy escapade is broken up because the Masked Pilot has a random lucky hunch from a fraction of a second glimpse of their plane and no one on land even tries to stop him from handing them over to the US consulate? Talk about an anticlimax.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I maintain that what happened was, Charles Boyce came into an office with a pitch he'd been working on, and the publisher said "Forget all that, what do you know about computers?" And Boyce lied and said "Oh yeah I'm really into them, I love all that tech stuff."

And he's been riding that lie ever since.

I need to point everyone, again, to the 1-900-HOTDOG podcast on compu-toon (co-hosted by Seanbaby!) where these possibilities are explored:

https://1900hotdog.com/2023/07/podcasting-day-compu-toon-with-dennard-dayle-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

drat I can't believe Kyle hosed the ice cream truck.

quote:

Blind Alley

been waiting for this one to go public outside the patreon, I adore how strong the angry stomping in panel 2 looks, and how it creates an actual nice rhythm with the panels surrounding it. Just really emphasizes the violent mood switch.

LvK fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 26, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LvK posted:

drat I can't believe Kyle hosed the ice cream truck.

Glad I'm not the only one who had this thought.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens
I just keep seeing Daffy Ducks mouth floating around without his body.

amigolupus posted:

Now it's just these very uncomfortable attempted child murders. And this recent batch proves how insane the people who run these camps are for placing the prey children so close to kids who won't hesitate to kill them when the teacher's not looking.
He's going to pass away and they'll discovered the skeletons of hundreds of childrens bodies in his crawlspace.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiggum posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who had this thought.

yeah, clearly Kyle had it before either of us.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Some Guy TT posted:

That's it? The whole spy escapade is broken up because the Masked Pilot has a random lucky hunch from a fraction of a second glimpse of their plane and no one on land even tries to stop him from handing them over to the US consulate? Talk about an anticlimax.

I mostly skip the comedy stuff in Popcorn, but the adventure strips are something. Weird, often problematic, oftener with real rushed endings, and yet there's just something about them that keeps me coming back.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 22, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sophie is not happy.

And neither is Abbey.

But Neddy is.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rooting for Toppen Jo to destroy Copper Ma. :pray: I just want his kid to be proud of him once more.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 08, 1958)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It has definitely overstayed the welcome. It needs to move the hell on, it lingers too long on each section.

To be honest it kinda lost me back at the mutant hero storyline when the author said it had happened for real.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(July 1, 1917)

Little Nemo(November 25, 1906) Spoilered because NOW he has them talk!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

To be honest it kinda lost me back at the mutant hero storyline when the author said it had happened for real.
It's rapidly becoming clear that while e.g. John Allison is a comics creator that's very good at meshing modern fantastic stories and their trappings with reality grounded smalltown plots, Tauhid Bondia is one that is very good at reality grounded smalltown plots, but it's not enough for him.

I'd still rather a creator strives to improve and fails rather than never tries anything new but I'll point out when they fail.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Have I fallen for an edit or is Gil Thorp going to talk about CTE?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

Rooting for Toppen Jo to destroy Copper Ma. :pray: I just want his kid to be proud of him once more.

:hellyeah:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's rapidly becoming clear that while e.g. John Allison is a comics creator that's very good at meshing modern fantastic stories and their trappings with reality grounded smalltown plots, Tauhid Bondia is one that is very good at reality grounded smalltown plots, but it's not enough for him.

I'd still rather a creator strives to improve and fails rather than never tries anything new but I'll point out when they fail.

I have no problem with the magical realism stories, the problem for me is entirely in the pacing and length of each story. If this one were broken up into 2 or 3 shorter segments, with a couple weeks of gag a day strips in between, the effect would be so much better. Break it up after the reveal of the driverless truck and go two or three weeks of standalone strips before picking it up. Maybe even go Sally Forth style and have it be a summer time story that gets advanced each year.

Back during the intelligence helmet/dodgeball arch, someone complained about how long it was going on during, I believe, the start of the dodgeball section, and just a day or two before the Patreon feed had glitched and sent out a comic from a few weeks ahead (nice to know there is a solid backlog, at least). So we had people complaining (rightly, to be honest) about how long the plot had been going on, and getting confirmation that it would still be going on for 20 or so days, at least.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No new Buni yet.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/25/03

Brenda Starr 5/20/51

Smokey Stover 11/13/55

Everyday Movies 8/13/36

"If the minister's wife buys her vegetables from you this mornin', Ezra, give her a bunch of flowers for the church. If she don't, don't."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/16/41

Well, that's a friendly-looking guy who can safely be entrusted with the welfare of children. And is it just me, or does the gate guard look like a mean (and beefy) Jughead?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 26, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

First pitch, fastball straight to the dome.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis does at least one payoff!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A great joke without the second explanatory punchline! Keep killing it Billingsley!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll take a too-long storyline where lots of weird poo poo happens over a too-long storyline where basically nothing happens any day (or three-month period)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
so just making sure, if plank's team loses one game, they lose...i don't know, everything?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

so just making sure, if plank's team loses one game, they lose...i don't know, everything?

They promised to never lose in their contract, or they forfeit a jillion dollars