Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kanazawa is another good option, or the Kiso Valley is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
For a 2 week trip, would it be worth getting a JR Pass? I feel like I asked this before and was told no but it sounds convenient tbh.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It used to be, but with the upcoming huge price increase you'll have to look up what the shinkansen prices for each individual trip you want to take, add it all up, and compare it to the cost of the pass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was already a bad deal before, I cannot imagine a scenario where the new price JR pass is worthwhile. You'd have to be doing some insane trip where you're shinkansening to a new city almost every day.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yea I was just looking here and it's like Tokyo to Kanazawa is about 14k yen by Shinkansen though unsure how up to date that info is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good Listener posted:

I keep bothering with questions and I do apologize, I'm just kind of trying to pre-set up things so I know what I should plan for for a 2 week stay I suppose. I know we want to go to Tokyo and try to eat at the Kirby cafe, but should we take a couple days out of the Tokyo area and visit somewhere else like Osaka or the like?

In fairness, you can go all around Tokyo proper…and still have possible day trips to Utsunomiya and Nikko, Kamakura and Enoshima, Yokohama proper, Hakone and it’s surrounds, potentially even Mt Fuji. With bullet train, you could even visit to Kyoto or Osaka in a day trip if you’re out early and back late.

It depends on what you and your travel companions really want to do. I would recommend looking into those day trips, but I also dislike switching hotels too much on that length of trip.

[Edit]

Grand Fromage posted:

It was already a bad deal before, I cannot imagine a scenario where the new price JR pass is worthwhile. You'd have to be doing some insane trip where you're shinkansening to a new city almost every day.

The classic advice was you broke even on going Tokyo <-> Osaka on the pass, so if your plan included more Shinkansen usage than that, to get the pass. I’m not sure the price increase is going to help the calculus.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 26, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You can get some pretty deep discounts booking in advance on Ekinet, but JR Central doesn't participate, ruining it for cross country trips.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

harperdc posted:

In fairness, you can go all around Tokyo proper…and still have possible day trips to Utsunomiya and Nikko, Kamakura and Enoshima, Yokohama proper, Hakone and it’s surrounds, potentially even Mt Fuji. With bullet train, you could even visit to Kyoto or Osaka in a day trip if you’re out early and back late.

It depends on what you and your travel companions really want to do. I would recommend looking into those day trips, but I also dislike switching hotels too much on that length of trip.

Yea I think we should nail down things we'd wanna do before anything. It's just a case of like..the last time I went to Japan was a school summer study trip in college so it's trying to figure out things on my own this time and am just thinking of every option before doing anything. Maybe it is dumb to think so far ahead without a set plan but I can't help myself lol

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If you buy the pass then it forces you to use it otherwise you're wasting money. Just wing it imo, 2 weeks is sufficient for Tokyo and some surrounding areas.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tell your roomie to do some research on things they want to see then make an itinerary that is appealing to both of you jfc

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Discussions with my partner have been the same way and I’m just like do your research I can’t do it for you and will meet you wherever you want to see something cool.

Recommendations for flea/thrift/second hand markets in larger cities in October? Antique browsing is one of my favorite travel activities. Also craft/makers markets. I have a few pottery festivals on my list.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Like, get a paper guide book from the library, look at the pictures, and take notes about where your favorite pictures were taken.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I apologize for posting too much, my brain just goes into planning overdrive for something that isn't even set in stone yet. I just wanna figure out as much info as I can so I know what I'm getting into. I'll hush for a bit but I appreciate all the help you all have given for sure!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
2 week trip is perfect for the 7 day pass, especially if you are flying out of Narita.

Land in haneda, hang out for 6 days days, activate the pass, go to himeji/kyoto/osaka. Go back to Tokyo day 13, and day 14 or pass day 7 use the NEX

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Wonton posted:

2 week trip is perfect for the 7 day pass, especially if you are flying out of Narita.

Land in haneda, hang out for 6 days days, activate the pass, go to himeji/kyoto/osaka. Go back to Tokyo day 13, and day 14 or pass day 7 use the NEX

I was going to write off a JR pass but I didn't even think of doing it like this lol. We're going to Osaka our 2nd week and back like this pretty much. It's hard to find out what the cost of a green car ticket there and back is without just getting a pass.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'll be visiting Japan during the first half of September and would like to visit Fuji-Q Highland one of the days. Do anyone have suggestions/recommendations/experiences on getting there from Tokyo?

I'm starting my visit in Tokyo, and leaving from KIX, and my plan right now is also to visit a few cities along the route from Tokyo to Kansai, would it make sense to integrate a Fuji-Q visit into that and e.g. send my large luggage to Osaka via a luggage service, travel to Fuji-Q in the morning and enjoy the park, then travel from there to one of Gotemba, Mishima or Numazu to stay the night, and continue from there the next day?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

I'll be visiting Japan during the first half of September and would like to visit Fuji-Q Highland one of the days. Do anyone have suggestions/recommendations/experiences on getting there from Tokyo?

Their own site has deals listed including bus trips and/or overnight stays along with one-day passes, so whether you stay nearby or go out and back in one day (it’s possible) there are some plans.

September should be nice, too, weather-wise. Go on a weekday (avoid Monday, September 18, it’s a public holiday) and enjoy.

Staying at Gotemba and continuing on would make the most sense to me if you wanted to continue on.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good Listener posted:

I apologize for posting too much, my brain just goes into planning overdrive for something that isn't even set in stone yet. I just wanna figure out as much info as I can so I know what I'm getting into. I'll hush for a bit but I appreciate all the help you all have given for sure!

You could probably find some ideas from just looking up interests on Japan Guide?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm looking a luggage forwarding services, but at first sight it seems there aren't any that properly offer storing your luggage for a few days? E.g. dropping off in Tokyo on the evening of Sep 5th and picking up in Kyoto on the 10th? Does that exist or will I need to change my plans or find a friend who will help me out?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I thought Kuroneko Yamato offers that exact service.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

If you buy the pass then it forces you to use it otherwise you're wasting money. Just wing it imo, 2 weeks is sufficient for Tokyo and some surrounding areas.

Both times I went to Japan, I realized it was easier to not get the pass so I could take whichever train company was most convenient for what I wanted to do. Made life a lot easier than having to plan around JR only.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zettace posted:

I thought Kuroneko Yamato offers that exact service.

They do, I just discovered myself too. They're just really bad at advertising it. They're so excited to tell you about their same day delivery that they forget to tell you that they also offer delayed delivery by up to 7 days, but it's hidden deep in their FAQ site.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Bofast posted:

You could probably find some ideas from just looking up interests on Japan Guide?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

I'm not sure why I didn't try this before. I'ma blame trying to overthink things haha. Thanks!
Also a thought did come to me, how easy is it to get one of those portable wifi set ups? Pretty sure we're gonna need that when we visit from everything I've heard.

EDIT: Also has anyone been to Sakaiminato? A part of me really wants to visit due to loving Shigeru Mizuki's work..

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 30, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’re very easy you just order them in advance and pick them up at the airport or have them delivered to your hotel if you want to make life slightly more difficult for your first couple of hours in the country

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I found the sim from Mobal to work great and it converted me off portable wifi this past trip. It's even simpler, they'll mail you the sim at home in the US so you can just install it on the plane. The only issue I had was I had to manually configure it to get data working. They give you the instructions to do so, write them down or print it out to make it easy.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Listener posted:

EDIT: Also has anyone been to Sakaiminato? A part of me really wants to visit due to loving Shigeru Mizuki's work..

Yes, not recently, but it was a fun place to visit. That part of the country is incredibly beautiful.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

LyonsLions posted:

Yes, not recently, but it was a fun place to visit. That part of the country is incredibly beautiful.

Honestly might try to put it on at the last couple days of the trip maybe. See if we can't take the train or a plane out to it then fly outta the nearby airport to Narita and home.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Any other good sim companies other than mobal? Their site says they have issues with Google pixels and that's unfortunately what I have.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Listener posted:

Honestly might try to put it on at the last couple days of the trip maybe. See if we can't take the train or a plane out to it then fly outta the nearby airport to Narita and home.

You'll love it. The Shigeru Mizuki stuff is fun and it's such a beautiful place. BTW have you read his Showa History series or his other autobiographical stuff? Highly recommended, the guy lived a pretty crazy life.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

LyonsLions posted:

You'll love it. The Shigeru Mizuki stuff is fun and it's such a beautiful place. BTW have you read his Showa History series or his other autobiographical stuff? Highly recommended, the guy lived a pretty crazy life.

I know a lot about him but def will need to check that out, def agree that his life was something else.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Both times I went to Japan, I realized it was easier to not get the pass so I could take whichever train company was most convenient for what I wanted to do. Made life a lot easier than having to plan around JR only.

Using the JR train pass for local trains or local metro pass are bad decisions, the train pass’s value is primarily long distance and you need spend average 3.5k per day to make it work :laffo:

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I found the sim from Mobal to work great and it converted me off portable wifi this past trip. It's even simpler, they'll mail you the sim at home in the US so you can just install it on the plane. The only issue I had was I had to manually configure it to get data working. They give you the instructions to do so, write them down or print it out to make it easy.

Mobal is actually kind of pricier but it’s all over the YouTube ads and travel influencers. Ubigi is cheaper if you can use esim.

Or a south East Asian country based, Japan roaming SIM card

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I've heard that many stores in Japan don't like selling Pokemon cards to adults, does anyone know if that is just for booster packs, etc, or does that include buying second hand cards?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can definitely buy used Pokemon cards at Book Off (Hard Off eheheh) or specialty shops.
There should be boxes full of 10 cent junk and better cards in individual sleeves and inflated prices.

The problem is influencers, resellers, and weirdoes hoarding all the new packs to use in unboxing videos, open and sell the high value cards for stupid amounts, or never opening them to let them mature to resell to other influencers, resellers, and weirdoes.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 31, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gentleman Baller posted:

I've heard that many stores in Japan don't like selling Pokemon cards to adults, does anyone know if that is just for booster packs, etc, or does that include buying second hand cards?

Just walk up to a group of young children outside a school and hand them some money to go buy them for you.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I'm a little stuck -
have a JR pass and tickets to the Oomagari Fireworks Festival 8/26/23, but looking at the reservation site, tickets from Tokyo to Omagari station are sold out for the day. The reservation routes show under "non-reserved seats?" a "no." Will more tickets open up? Is there a possibility of getting standing room spots on the train just walking into the station?

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 31, 2023

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Jumping on JR Pass chat - what is a good site to buy them from? There are so many sites that pop up when I search and I don't know which one to use. Can anyone recommend a site they've used or know is good?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JR Pass I've only tried JTB USA like actually 20 yrs ago...

Don't buy tickets online just buy same day at the station (or a minor station to avoid long lines)

Non-reserved means you might have to stand, it's usually fine.

Noitaroballoc
Apr 16, 2005

680 in 40

Crampy Grampaw posted:

I'm a little stuck -
have a JR pass and tickets to the Oomagari Fireworks Festival 8/26/23, but looking at the reservation site, tickets from Tokyo to Omagari station are sold out for the day. The reservation routes show under "non-reserved seats?" a "no." Will more tickets open up? Is there a possibility of getting standing room spots on the train just walking into the station?

The Komachi shinkansen to Akita is only reserved seats, no non-reserved seats available. I've taken that train several times and while I have never seen anyone with a standing ticket, the train announcements talk about how a standing room ticket is only valid for the car number printed on the ticket. So I'm not sure how you can do it, but I suppose standing tickets must be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Noitaroballoc posted:

The Komachi shinkansen to Akita is only reserved seats, no non-reserved seats available. I've taken that train several times and while I have never seen anyone with a standing ticket, the train announcements talk about how a standing room ticket is only valid for the car number printed on the ticket. So I'm not sure how you can do it, but I suppose standing tickets must be possible.

That’s hopeful, thanks. Is there a way I can buy standing tickets from the US? Or only way is to wait to go into an office in person?