Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FoneBone posted:

When you say “we” do you mean the marketing, or also the movie itself? If the latter that’s wild

(Did notice that the 1970s Ellen Burstyn footage doesn’t appear to be from the original film, either).

Marketing. We can’t even use the color purple. The fact that we got tubular bells was a miracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vandar posted:

No idea who's voicing him, but Snowflame is in season four of Harley Quinn, so the character is at least on someone's mind at DC right now.

They actually brought Snowflame back for an arc in Catwoman a couple of years ago. He was updated to a copy of the white guy from Miami Vice, which is as perfect a look as you could wish for an 80s retro throwback.

No word on whether cocaine was still his god or if he was the living instrument of its will, though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kiimo posted:

Marketing. We can’t even use the color purple. The fact that we got tubular bells was a miracle

FWIW I appreciate the brief nod towards the end of the trailer to the greatest horror trailer ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XuB8DJ0AI8

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ehud posted:

FWIW I appreciate the brief nod towards the end of the trailer to the greatest horror trailer ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XuB8DJ0AI8

Cool to see on my phone but I think that would have been super annoying in a dark theatre.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
"greatest trailer ever made" i say in the middle of my seizure

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
While the Exorcist trailer is indeed a very good trailer, I would argue that the 1979 Alien teaser is superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5lPt9edzQ

Honorable mention to the Terminator 2 teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ThFNL_2tI

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gonz posted:

While the Exorcist trailer is indeed a very good trailer, I would argue that the 1979 Alien teaser is superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5lPt9edzQ

Honorable mention to the Terminator 2 teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ThFNL_2tI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMlYYKGZ9qU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A legend returns to tell us what he thinks of (Teenage Mutant Ninja) Turtles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnt1EdUZ1E8

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

https://youtu.be/nY7n9IKerag

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

My dream role for Don Johnson is as Snowflame in one of James Gunn's DC properties

Someone in DC comics agrees with you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent posted:

Someone in DC comics agrees with you.

That's EXACTLY what I was referencing.

I'm so glad he's in the next season of Harley Quinn.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would argue the Exorcist 2 trailer is incredible. Certainly way better than the actual movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFspymGVZLY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Seeing a trailer with Nicole Kidman doing a stupid voice in a Taylor Sheridan thing really makes me pray that he has an aneurysm in his brain tomorrow before he puts out more evil bullshit

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Seeing a trailer with Nicole Kidman doing a stupid voice in a Taylor Sheridan thing really makes me pray that he has an aneurysm in his brain tomorrow before he puts out more evil bullshit

Christ, every post I've ever seen you make is just the most middle-school psychopath poo poo

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 29, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mordja posted:

Christ, every post I've ever seen you make is just the most middle-school psychopath poo poo
Sounds about white

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

Nah, goon is right, I'm tired of Sheridan's reactionary shtick. Dude should feel free to gently caress off whenever

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I can agree that Taylor Sheridan sucks and also agree that the dude chose the most middle school psychopath way to say so.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i hope taylor sheridan lives a long happy life + finds jesus

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I can agree that Taylor Sheridan sucks and also agree that the dude chose the most middle school psychopath way to say so.
I hope you find peace, Mayonnaise. Keep regulating my rage at a white supremacist piece of poo poo with absolutely no self awareness.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This poo poo is always incredible to me because I'm complaining about white dominant culture in a white supremacist nation and there's still people who go "oh gosh you're so mean" as in the default of me constantly gracefully graciously absorbing abuse from white media is the definition of civilized behavior

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like I'm constantly bombarded with images that say "the opposite of you is the definition of beauty and intelligence" but the fact that I lash out sometimes is apparently beyond the pale (no pun intended!)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Trailers!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

Trailers!

Ok fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Xq6_g2r6Q

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like I'm constantly bombarded with images that say "the opposite of you is the definition of beauty and intelligence" but the fact that I lash out sometimes is apparently beyond the pale (no pun intended!)

pale person here to agree with you, he sucks, and it doubly sucks that the liberal baseline always finds a way to institutionalize polite support for poo poo like his without any challenge to what it communicates. this thread prolly ain't gonna be the place to solve it tho since it's more of a thread about the way things are presented technically than what is being presented, such a thread premise already carries with it so many assumptions about media and what has value that it's worth thinking about however

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PzUo4P21c

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I hope you find peace, Mayonnaise. Keep regulating my rage at a white supremacist piece of poo poo with absolutely no self awareness.

Oh, I thought he was just a guy who made movies you don’t like, didn’t know about the white supremacy. He’s not really talked about at all in Asia. I was just going off his IMDb of movies I never saw and you not liking the accent he gave Kidman.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 30, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Very excited for the next installment in this dumb series, trailer got me hyped lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

MacheteZombie posted:

Very excited for the next installment in this dumb series, trailer got me hyped lol

Same, lol

It scratches that gore itch, especially since most of the victims do something to deserve it

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kiimo posted:

Why can't you use the colour purple? Who owns that? And how?

IP is so interesting to me because my friend is currently writing the legislation for indigenous artworks and it's kinda a weird line between counterfeit indiginous works and people who grew up doing it and it's cool, it seems like it has to be decided by local tribunal, so they have to make laws that solidify the decision, which is weird and hard

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 30, 2023

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Peccadillo posted:

Why can't you use the colour purple? Who owns that? And how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPwzBUui1GA

?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I couldn’t finish hell or high water or wind river and Yellowstone is extremely unappealing to me, but is he actually a bad dude or just a bad filmmaker?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Peccadillo posted:

Why can't you use the colour purple?

Alice Walker will sic the lizard people on you.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Jewmanji posted:

I couldn’t finish hell or high water or wind river and Yellowstone is extremely unappealing to me, but is he actually a bad dude or just a bad filmmaker?

His politics are just all over the place. Mayor of Kingstown has some legit criticisms against the prison industrial complex and the police being militarized but is also easily one of the most misogynistic shows on TV right now. And I did enjoy parts of Wind River but he got a lot of poo poo for bragging about how he has done all this work to bring awareness to indigenous issues when in reality the movie suffers from white savior bullshit.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I liked Hell or High Water, but I think it was mainly due to the performances. The guy isn’t a known sex pest/abuser/criminal as far as I know, he just makes a lot of mediocre-to-bad things that have very unappealing politics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The ending of hell or high water is outstanding. Really elevated the film. His little cameo/scene was pretty good too just lots of little good moments in that movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

His politics are just all over the place. Mayor of Kingstown has some legit criticisms against the prison industrial complex and the police being militarized but is also easily one of the most misogynistic shows on TV right now. And I did enjoy parts of Wind River but he got a lot of poo poo for bragging about how he has done all this work to bring awareness to indigenous issues when in reality the movie suffers from white savior bullshit.

Yellowstone is pretty much the same way. Sheridan once claimed he was shocked that it was considered a "red-state show" since "The show’s talking about the displacement of Native Americans and the way Native American women were treated and about corporate greed and the gentrification of the West, and land-grabbing. That’s a red-state show?" Of course what he doesn't point out is how those are legit the only remotely left wing points the show makes, everything else is basically non stop mocking of "coastal elites" and "city folk"; glorifying rural values, toxic masculinity, and abusive parenting; mocking environmentalists as knowing less than the people who actually work the land, etc.

At the very least, Sheridan doesn't seem to be using his clout to endorse terrible politicians, at least to my knowledge. Scummiest thing he did was purchase the 6666 Ranch in Texas with his money and then convince Paramount into shooting the show there and charge them market rent for all the stuff there, so he gets paid coming and going. I kind of respect the grift there.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 30, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The only bits of Yellowstone I've seen is rich white cowboys complaining about poo poo. Def not my cup of tea. But whatever.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Without knowing what it was, this trailer on imax was more effectively disturbing than anything else I’ve seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

AceOfFlames posted:

At the very least, Sheridan doesn't seem to be using his clout to endorse terrible politicians, at least to my knowledge. Scummiest thing he did was purchase the 6666 Ranch in Texas with his money and then convince Paramount into shooting the show there and charge them market rent for all the stuff there, so he gets paid coming and going. I kind of respect the grift there.

My Sheridan hot take is I don't actually think he has terrible politics but I think he is an idiot who isn't capable of nuance and is way to full of himself. Sicario is one of my favorite movies from the past decade (yes I know he only wrote it) so I think in the right circumstances he is capable of good stuff. And I think he does try to critique toxic masculinity at times with his stuff but then his tiny brain is like "MANLY COWBOY LOOKS COOL."