Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1683782095213035522

... I've run out of words...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What have Unite done? I'm a bit out of the loop on the union.

namesake posted:

If you're in a work environment where Unite actually exist or have a good retired members branch near you then don't be silly, this is exactly the same thing as all the idiots saying they're leaving the NEU because of that Ukraine motion. It's a union, not a political party. You're in it for workplace power and can organise to change all the other political bits.

There's the capitulation to Labour.

There's the cancellation of all screenings of The Big Lie & launch of Asa Winstanley's book.

There are only 4 people in my workplace, and we're all part time and I'm the only one in a union, and scaling back my hours from January & to be fair the Trustees (we're a charity) have been pretty good about giving us raises fuss-free.

I don't live near an active branch. As a non-driver & local public transport being dire, can't get to any meeting without spending a couple of hours travelling to Cardiff, overnight stay in a hotel or something, and another couple of hours getting home again next day.

Anyway, I'm not 100% decided yet.

And yeah, this VVV

OwlFancier posted:

I mean... how do you get change without threatening to withdraw your participation? A union of all places should understand that you can't just ask for things and expect to get them.

If members cancelling their membership is giving them the wibbly wobblies maybe they'll listen. Nothing talks like taking away the money or obstructive protest. Writing letters and standing quiet & polite with a banner rarely leads to change.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 25, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If they're anything like Unison, I wouldn't give them another dime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like yeah if you value what you're paying for regardless of their political conduct, then sure, keep paying them. But if you find their political stance to be sufficiently unacceptable that they aren't worth your money, I don't see why you should give it them. They aren't entitled to it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith decided to go down and dirty first

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We took over a place that had Unite members in and so far all they’ve managed to achieve from an outside perspective is making anything that’s related to an HR process take for-loving-ever in order to get exactly what they were offered in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Yeah I bet they will.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
generally speaking i think it's a crapshoot how good a union branch is regardless of the main union it belongs to

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah, our particular branch of Unison was absolutely loving useless - they often kowtowed to the uni and accepted their lowest offer as the first option then put it to ballot, then they'd never hit the threshold because no one could be hosed dealing with them as they constantly undermined their whole purpose. That's on top of the multiple times they failed many of my colleagues and myself in dealing with abusive higher ups that are still working there to this day. My team was more effective in telling managers to go gently caress themselves on our own accord.

Oct 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

That front page is also a spunking cock with some words under it.

I don't know why this makes me so sad, because I knew it was happening anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

I guess that its because its being dressed up as a positive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The news is such an unrelenting tide of misery that you are eventually going to hit something that finds a nerve you weren't aware could still feel.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Yeah, Labour made a big point of how they reached out for strategic advice from the US Democrats and AUS Labour, and everyone who isn't a liberal oval office just thought "what the gently caress?" because those two parties - in addition to being ideologically bankrupt - rely on smear tactics to a wearying degree.
Except, the Tories will always be far better at smear campaigns because they're even more sociopathic than Labour are.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1683849899765374979?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, Labour made a big point of how they reached out for strategic advice from the US Democrats
Be financial turbolibs but at least pay lip service to having trans people's backs and supporting the lady who was jailed for abortion.

Keith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgbZqR2AGI

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I work for myself these days but kept my Unite membership out of solidarity. Think I’ll cancel over the phone and give my reasons and rejoin if they stop melting

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Gz_ODeAzg

*pumps up the jock jams*

Y'all ready for this

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Unite keep writing to my address trying to get an old tenant who lived here to re-join. There might be a bit of a problem, as he died a year after I registered this forums account. He was in his late 90's too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Gz_ODeAzg

*pumps up the jock jams*

Y'all ready for piss

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

*pumps up the jock jams*
Forex gon' give it to ya
gently caress waiting for you to get it on your own, Forex gon' deliver to ya

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Cannot even fabricate a piece of twee bullshit that I could care less about then the bank account of an ex MEP. Absolutely mind boggling.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

domhal posted:

Cannot even fabricate a piece of twee bullshit that I could care less about then the bank account of an ex MEP. Absolutely mind boggling.

Fairplay to Peter Oborne for using it to highlight bank's removing accounts from any politically active Muslim or Islamic groups.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely love to see the authorities, banks and media bending over backwards to prostrate themselves for having deigned, deigned to besmirch the good name of his his Excellency, King in All But Name, Deliverer of the Most Holy Brexit Lord Nigel of Farage, Champion of All the Peoples of England and Fishes of her Seas, Conqueror of the Empire of Brussels in Europe in General and Britain in Particular.

So good of the government to step in because he and he alone was inconvenienced, it's only right after all that this one particular private individual get his every way and be repeatedly allowed to impose his will on the rest of the country.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Starmer just implying trans women are a risk to cis women, again

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Diet Crack posted:

In fairness if you're paying circa £7500 for a trip to Greece, you should have travel insurance and ATOL baked into the package for that kind of money else what the gently caress are you doing

If you got that kinda money to spend on vacation you shouldn't expect sympathy IMO.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
as a born pessimist i did expect europe to be on fire and flooded regularly at this point, 20 odd years ago

i did not expect the response to be "OUR HOLIDAYS ARE RUINED" :cry:

"this climate change lark is good for britain, actually, we should ditch green policies"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I wonder what's going to happen to all the people and businesses who are sustained by the Mediterranean tourist industry now that it's going be a burning wasteland in the summer months.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't wait for the gulf stream collapse so we get regular white Christmases again

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BBC has an article about renting.

quote:

Renters compete with 20 others in battle to find a home

Competition among renters is so intense that there are 20 requests to view each available property, according to data commissioned by the BBC.

The average number of requests to see each home has more than tripled from six in 2019, the figures from property portal Rightmove show.

The queue to view is even longer in some regions, reaching 30 in the North West of England.

quote:

Anecdotal evidence shows tenants are offering more than the asking rent, or arriving early to get to the front of the queue.

Paul Forbes, an estate agent in Preston, said that properties were often let after the first block viewing of interested home-hunters because demand is so high. Choosing the successful applicant was "not a nice part of the job", he said.

Not a nice job, but I guess someone has to do it

quote:

She said landlords in the area were selling up, because profits had dropped - with 43% fewer homes available to rent in London compared with 2019.

"That imbalance is what is fuelling rents at the moment," she said.

Rent increases were likely to continue, she said, while the profile of tenants could also start to shift. Younger people could live with parents for longer, and more than one million over 65s would be renting within a decade.

That will create even more competition for renters like Claudia, who is 25 and works in sales for a research company. She and her boyfriend Michael, an engineer, have just offered £2,150 a month - some £200 more than the asking rent - for a one-bedroom London flat after a bidding war.

The cost will take up half of their combined income, but she said they had little choice.

:guillotine:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

BBC has an article about renting.

Not a nice job, but I guess someone has to do it

:guillotine:

£2150 a month in mortgage will get you a literal mansion with grounds if you didn't want to live in London.

You could probably buy that fort in Scotland.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

20 people, good one. When I was trying to find places in Manchester in September last year one guy said he'd received 140 emails in the 24 hours since he'd put the advert up. I spent every spare minute I had for a solid month firing off messages and managed four viewings total. It was without question the most exhausting and stressful month of my life. The number of viewings is not even slightly reflective of the number of interested applicants. The rental market is absolutely turbofucked.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

loving Preston as well, of all places. Look I tolerate living in Preston as much as the next person but this is insane.

Probably not related to what I remember a mortgage advisor telling us about 8 years ago that he would recommend people with £100,000 to invest that rather than buy a small place to rent out, put down 10 x 10k deposits and rake it in.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Z the IVth posted:

£2150 a month in mortgage will get you a literal mansion with grounds if you didn't want to live in London.

You could probably buy that fort in Scotland.

2k per month mortgage would limit you to around 375k for the property. So a detached 5 bed in the suburbs of Glasgow (or a one bed flat in Edinburgh).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I looked up what flats in are going for in the area of London I used to live in. 2k+ a month for a one bedroom.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Guardian posted:

Starmer suggests Labour changed its trans policy in light of what happened to Scotland's gender recognition bill

Campbell reads out some questions on trans issues. What is a woman? What is your policy on trans rights? Why do we ask what is a woman, but not what is a man?

Q: Why did you announce the new policy in an article in the Guardian?

Starmer says a woman is an adult female?

He says there was a byelection last week. Then there was a national policy forum meeting. They agreed a range of policy. On trans, they had a chance to reflect on what happened in Scotland.

(Labour announced a new policy; it no longer favours self-recognition for trans people wanting to transition.)

Q: Scottish Labour does not agree with the new policy. It still supports self-ID.

Starmer says he does not agree with that. He wants to modernise the process of applying for a gender recognition certificate. But he wants to keep it a medical process.

And he believes in the importance of safe spaces for women.

Q: Are you saying trans women are a threat?

Starmer says it is more about having a space where biological women can feel safe.

Q: Why wouldn’t they be safe with trans women there?

Starmer says the Scottish prisoner case, Isla Bryson, illustrates why.

Q: Are you saying there are a lot of cases like that?

No, says Starmer, but he is saying safe spaces are important.

UPDATE: Starmer said:

Firstly, a woman is an adult female, so let’s clear that one up …

We don’t think that self-identification is the right way forward. We’ve reflected on what happened in Scotland …

We’ve set out that we want to modernise the process, get rid of some of the indignities in the process, keep it a medical process.

We’ve always said, I’ve continued to say, and Sunday, when we completed our policy forum, allowed us to be clear that there should be safe places, safe spaces, for women, particularly in relation to violence against women and girls.

where do you even start with this. go eat poo poo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Gonna love being hate crimed

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I wouldn't put it past starmer to advocate for the banning of transitioning and banning us from basic spaces

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Miftan posted:

I looked up what flats in are going for in the area of London I used to live in. 2k+ a month for a one bedroom.

This is what I'm terrified of come our yearly renewal in October, we're paying about £400 a month less than the ridiculous market rate on account of being here for ~8 years. Some new guys have taken over the Letting Agents recently, and I'm making GBS threads it they're just gonna punch an extra 500 a month on top, if that's even legal.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

where do you even start with this. go eat poo poo

I just want someone to ask them how the evidence backs up their policy.
Literally: "how many police reports are there of a woman being attacked by a trans woman in a 'woman-only space'?"

Facts and figures aren't enough to stop these TERF cunts, but some people at least will respond well to them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

2k per month mortgage would limit you to around 375k for the property. So a detached 5 bed in the suburbs of Glasgow (or a one bed flat in Edinburgh).

drat the Fort is £500k

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126820367#/media?id=media0&ref=photoCollage&channel=RES_BUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I reckon if the thread clubbed together we could buy it and all live there together.