Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1684040618585071616
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1684036738749022208

I mean yeah, I guess this Alzolay guy is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

It's really been nice to have him pan out as a closer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1684024354458288128?s=20

man, i feel bad for the white sox, but lmao at the cubs just running at will on kopech but not really needing to because they just kept mashing ding shots.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

e: I gotta stop mixing up threads

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

man, i feel bad for the white sox, but lmao at the cubs just running at will on kopech but not really needing to because they just kept mashing ding shots.

Grandal is cooked and has a noodle arm, they should have ran more honestly. Kinda reminded me of that game in 2017 where the Nats stole infinity bases off of Jake and Miggy and after Montero got drunk and blamed it all on Arrieta being too slow to the plate (which he absolutely was) which subsequently got him booted off the team.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Landed tickets 2nd row behind the M's dugout tonight through work. Super stoked, especially since the M's were at .500 going into tonight and I had a chance of seeing a loss OR a win. Sorry for anyone in that heat for tomorrow's day game. The return to.500 will be gross and sweaty.

But tonight? A hell of a comeback and Julio being Julio.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I mean yeah, I guess this Alzolay guy is alright.

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him (a closer)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
News:
https://twitter.com/JustBB_Media/status/1684050548461543425

Vie:qq:s:
https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1684050961025880065

gently caress Perdomo.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Hey just a heads up, the Japanese Prefecural Highschool Tournaments are all having their championship games over the next few days.

The winners of these will go on to the Summer Koshien tournament in few weeks.

So if you want to see some kids playing their hearts out check it out.

Best of all it is streaming free: vk.sportsbull.jp/Koshien/

Most of the games start around 10am Japan time (21:00 east standard time, 18:00 pacific.) There are also 12:30 and 13:00 Japan time games.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
lost amid the Braves' feeble loss to the Red Sox today: they turned a triple play that has only been recorded once before, 139 years ago, by the Boston Beaneaters (who would go on to become the Braves)

https://twitter.com/kendallbaker/status/1684046708521725952?s=20

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'll say, despite ultimately losing to the Mariners today, the Twins have kept up with what I'd consider a very important positive trend -- getting actual offense out there. They've been shut out exactly once since the All-Star Break and have scored less than four runs in only one other game -- that is to say, the Twins are 10/12 since the ASB for scoring more than four runs a game!

Granted, this is against a small sample selection of teams including the A's and White Sox, neither of whom are doing much of anything this year, but the quality of opponents has done little to change how good or bad the Twins' bats were before the break, so I'll more than take it. Now if we can just keep the pitching holding together, especially the bullpen that I THOUGHT we'd finally sorted out, then we might actually have something cooking here!

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

ScottyJSno posted:

Hey just a heads up, the Japanese Prefecural Highschool Tournaments are all having their championship games over the next few days.

The winners of these will go on to the Summer Koshien tournament in few weeks.

So if you want to see some kids playing their hearts out check it out.

Best of all it is streaming free: vk.sportsbull.jp/Koshien/

Most of the games start around 10am Japan time (21:00 east standard time, 18:00 pacific.) There are also 12:30 and 13:00 Japan time games.

They gonna allow the peppermill? If not the tournament can get hosed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

elentar posted:

lost amid the Braves' feeble loss to the Red Sox today: they turned a triple play that has only been recorded once before, 139 years ago, by the Boston Beaneaters (who would go on to become the Braves)

https://twitter.com/kendallbaker/status/1684046708521725952?s=20

Now that’s what I call baserunning

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do you guys think Beltran is a HOF worthy dude or just hall of very good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do you guys think Beltran is a HOF worthy dude or just hall of very good

Hall of very good. But the high end of it. It wouldn't be embarrassing if he got in but I doubt he will because of his cheating with the Astros.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

Hall of very good. But the high end of it. It wouldn't be embarrassing if he got in but I doubt he will because of his cheating with the Astros.

Yeah he might have been a guy who squeaked in on his fourth or fifth ballot, but now there’s no way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah he was borderline before the Astros scandal but I don't know how you make the case for him now without talking about that stuff. And while you're still denying legends who took steroids its a bad look to put in a bubble guy who took part in the recent big cheating scandal.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

STAC Goat posted:

And while you're still denying legends who took steroids its a bad look to put in a bubble guy who took part in the recent big cheating scandal.

But somehow very on brand for the writers.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Now that’s what I call baserunning

It’s just one of those baseball cliches that always seems to hold up. Once every 140 years or so you hit into an 8-3-5 triple play

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jared_carrabis/status/1683918305302548480

That is loving insane, I wonder if that depresses contract offers/lengths going forward.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 26, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why they ignoring Seager and Gausman and Judge and and and

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why they ignoring Seager and Gausman and Judge and and and

Judge was the best offensive player in baseball when he got hurt in a dumb fluke injury.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jared_carrabis/status/1683918305302548480

That is loving insane, I wonder if that depresses contract offers/lengths going forward.

Let's list five shortstops and only talk about offense. Dansby currently leads the Cubs in WAR

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Judge was the best offensive player in baseball when he got hurt in a dumb fluke injury.

That's exactly my point. The tweet is ignoring all the contracts signed where dudes are great.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
looks like he's limiting it to shortstops who signed huge deals

seager was two years ago

e: I guess including lindor opens up including seager though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I'd argue that handing a huge contract to a dude on the wrong side of 30 who unveils a new, chronic injury that may cost him games every year from now on is not an *ideal* signing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lindor is also leading his team in WAR

I think a better tweet would be to compare to a guy like Wander Franco who is crushing it at the same position and for a much more reasonable AAV.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beltran got like 50% of the vote last year, he's totally getting in

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Seager, Lindor and Swanson are 3 of the top 4 SS by fWAR.

drat that would suck to sign a guy to!!!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Beltran had one of the best careers ever at 3B. He totally should be in. Especially since ARod is never sniffing the hall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

Beltran had one of the best careers ever at 3B. He totally should be in. Especially since ARod is never sniffing the hall.

You are a little confused here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Rays and White Sox are working on a Lance Lynn trade

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1684214262695075841?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

he got 46%. Bonds and Clemens also got over 50% each of their last 6 years on the ballot. We’ll see if Beltran gains significantly on his second ballot. I don’t have a good feel for what the writers think about the banging scheme.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the cans should be in the hall of fame.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Beltran is a 70 career bWAR player and only 1.4 of that was during his cheating years and he was -.8 bWAR in 2017

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You are a little confused here

Here's a secret: I'm always confused.

I mixed up Beltran and Beltré :ughh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I don’t have a good feel for what the writers think about the banging scheme.

They love things that let them preen self righteously

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

Here's a secret: I'm always confused.

I mixed up Beltran and Beltré :ughh:

the difference is Beltre should be a no-doubter even though he's not nearly as flashy as his numbers suggested

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intruder posted:

Beltran is a 70 career bWAR player and only 1.4 of that was during his cheating years and he was -.8 bWAR in 2017

I think you'll find my being angry about cans clearly explains why he is not HOF worthy, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Intruder posted:

Yeah, setting aside the cheating scandal, Beltran had a pretty clear route to induction where he started in the 40-50% range and gained 10% a year before crossing the threshold. It’s just unclear if the writers will be as hardline about trash cans as they were about steroids. The idea that he’s a fringe candidate is revisionism, in my mind.