Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mellow Seas posted:

Then why didn’t the last fascist president?

He gave it a bit of a shot but, fortunately, he and his fascist MAGA army largely decided to leave their guns at home and weren't quite organized enough to draw and quarter Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence on a livestream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

He gave it a bit of a shot but, fortunately, he and his fascist MAGA army largely decided to leave their guns at home and weren't quite organized enough to draw and quarter Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence on a livestream.

This is a misreading of the OP’s point which was “Biden can’t just send in the army to do whatever he wants.” Not “Biden can’t incite a network of chuds to work his will.”

Although he literally can’t do that either. Literally. Because #1 they’re chuds, that’s #1. And 2— no parallel group of insurgents exists for him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably the cab, but I'm not a driver so I'm not sure. They already have tracking devices in the diads the drivers carry, so having a camera in your face to have even more monitoring on you sucks.

They recently installed like 200+ more security cameras, extremely obvious ones sometimes right above people's heads, in my building, and it's pretty stressful just having a camera staring directly at you at all times.

They're never used for good, basically, just to "keep an eye on you". As in, I'm sure the camera above my head sees how utterly hosed I get every single night without help, but lol if they're ever going to use that information to effect positive change, know what I mean? Likely the same situation for drivers.

The cameras are only to gently caress you not help. I went for driver and the van they gave me had a broken headlight the next morning. They showed me a picture of the damage from a ceiling camera, but when I denied doing it they insisted they'd have to do an investigation. All they had to do was rewind the footage. Instead they just had me stay home a couple days before Saturday, when they desperately need people. Told me they couldn't prove I did it(because I didn't), and to be more careful.

As for the contract, I'm a tentative no while I wait for the actual language. Several points listed here are different from what I heard and my in interpretation of what they released on the Teamsters ap. People in my hub are currently pissed with a few threatening to quit the union. However long time part-timers are a minority of the union so we'll see how it goes.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, you should understand this as a bill authored by Republicans with support from Sinema, targeting the administrative rulemaking process; it's not going to be good.

Interesting. I noticed the president gave thanks to the senators, and this seems to be a common pattern -- you can search "Thank you to Senators" "for their leadership" site:https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/legislation and find many more, and some cast even broader acknowledgment with the phrase "and many others for their leadership".

My question -- are there any bills we know Biden was opposed to that he thanks the senators for anyway, or does he only thank for bills he endorses?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Driving a delivery truck or doing anything like that while having a monitored uplinked camera pointed straight at you sounds like a goddamned nightmare

One of the highlights of trucking work is you get to do your own poo poo on your own, not have someone staring straight at you conceptually 24/7 in case you pick your nose or start badly singing tears for fears or some poo poo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nothing really happened to Trump after using DHS to attack protestors in Portland and try to push his antifa conspiracy. Y'all can argue if that fits whatever the requirements are for sending in people with guns.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...tter-protestors

https://gizmodo.com/donald-trump-homeland-security-report-antifa-portland-1849718673

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

Yet another Biden family member has been caught in a pattern of outrageous behavior

I would like to see extensive hearings about this in which congresspeople display many pictures of this malefactor

yes, we must oust the other dog from the white house, soon Willow shall reign supreme

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

yronic heroism posted:

This is a misreading of the OP’s point which was “Biden can’t just send in the army to do whatever he wants.” Not “Biden can’t incite a network of chuds to work his will.”

Although he literally can’t do that either. Literally. Because #1 they’re chuds, that’s #1. And 2— no parallel group of insurgents exists for him.

Oh.

Then I apologize for misreading it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Interesting. I noticed the president gave thanks to the senators, and this seems to be a common pattern -- you can search "Thank you to Senators" "for their leadership" site:https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/legislation and find many more, and some cast even broader acknowledgment with the phrase "and many others for their leadership".

My question -- are there any bills we know Biden was opposed to that he thanks the senators for anyway, or does he only thank for bills he endorses?

Unless he vetoes it he’s effectively endorsed it so there’s not many of these.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yronic heroism posted:

Unless he vetoes it he’s effectively endorsed it so there’s not many of these.

I guess question I'm asking is does he always thank the people involved in a press release, and if he doesn't, does it mean anything in terms of his level of support for it? I haven't checked his predecessors' practices but it anyone knows it would be interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bird food bathtub posted:

It may not even be them being trained to "hate" the secret service. If there's tension between people (like, say, your body guards are of questionable loyalty because the fat orange fucker before you tried to overturn the entire political system through violence and you're not sure which of them are loyal to him despite or because of that) then dogs will absolutely pick up on that tension and act on it.

The secret service are also cops, who are 1: all bastards, 2: inherently loyal to fascists (see 1) and 3: murderously hostile towards anyone who does not show them immediate deference, which dogs don't know or care they're expected to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

How can you say that when he's clearly ¡Jeb!-ing at a very advanced level

Yeah, comparison to Harris is actually too flattering, at least in that Harris had establishment backing that actually followed through.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy floats an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden
https://apnews.com/article/biden-impeachment-mccarthy-hannity-78e4c7efeb030b29e1576f868257179b

So what are the odds that they'll try and drag this out into 2024 and the election? With the make up of the senate I know there won't be any real impeachment. And a real choice quote from MTG “We need to expunge,” she said of Trump’s two impeachments, and “we must impeach Joe Biden.” I hadn't realized that they were still wound up on expunging Trump, but I guess it makes sense when your entire party is hopelessly lashed to the Trump boat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dull Fork posted:

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy floats an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden
https://apnews.com/article/biden-impeachment-mccarthy-hannity-78e4c7efeb030b29e1576f868257179b

I thought they did that already to be honest

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Main Paineframe posted:

In practice, most judges are going to be understanding of the fact that a 100-word limit substantially limits how specific and detailed the summary can get. They're not going to treat it as an effective cap on the complexity of the rules themselves.

That "most" is doing a LOT of heavy lifting considering some of the utter whackjob rulings coming from some federal judges these days. It's a guarantee that people will judge-shop for some of the worst offenders to overturn regulations based on a word limit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the highlights of the tentative UPS/Teamsters contract for 2023-2028, it's the only link I could find of it at the moment. Can't read it right now, but I'll probably set aside some time to do it after work.

I know Gyges had issues so I'm curious to see what they say. The long-time part timers at my hub(10+ year part timers) are optimistic about it, as long as they make more than fresh meat due to their built up seniority, they're happy. If they wind up making only like a buck more an hour than a new walk-in, they're gonna be upset, yeah. though some of them said they'd just go full time in that case, due to the raises full timers are getting.

also, I really, really like that from what I heard, grievances will now ramp up, if someone in management gets grieved 3 times within a certain timeframe(like, a 3 month period), instead of being triple overtime penalty pay, further grievances will ascend to QUADRUPLE overtime penalty pay. so like, for example, this tryhard supervisor who keeps bumping the guy on the low pickoff down to do misc stuff and goes up there himself for 2-3 hours a night, if I were to nail him for that full time and nobody else also filed grievances against him for it, that would net me somewhere in the realm of $600. I'll take it. the last grievance check I got was for a sizeable amount, it paid for most of my current car so I didn't have to take a loan out or anything. management motherfuckers LOVE working union labor jobs when it's not their purview, and I LOVE writing them up for it. I'm really particular with my times too, so it's not like "this guy worked for 20 minutes today", it's "this guy worked for 10 minutes from x to y, then in this area from y to z for another 30 minutes. then after break he worked a further 15 minutes", and that really nets me bigger payouts than the guys who hand in generic, unspecified reports

Edit: skimmed it, lol at the "add 18,000 new fans to facilities". I'm pretty sure my hub has like 500 fans alone, unless every one of those 18,000 are the huge industrial fans, thats kind of a pittance. But I didn't really expect them to push for aircon or anything in the warehouses while also arguing for higher pay, vehicle aircon, etc. That can wait until next contract I guess. But if they do upgrade or add a bunch more industrial fans to increase airflow, that'd help a lot.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

It passed the House and Senate unanimously, with no one at all opposing it, so Biden probably didn't oppose it either. Although it was a GOP-sponsored bill, it wouldn't have passed so easily if even a single Dem thought it was a meaningful threat to the regulatory state.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mellow Seas posted:

Then why didn’t the last fascist president?

He did.They tried to justify it by claiming the need to "protect federal buildings," but CBP was brought in because of DHS' loyalty to Trump.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Captain Invictus posted:

this is the highlights of the tentative UPS/Teamsters contract for 2023-2028, it's the only link I could find of it at the moment. Can't read it right now, but I'll probably set aside some time to do it after work.

ChatGPT summary:
“The document outlines the changes and improvements agreed upon in the UPS National Master Tentative Agreement 2023-2028. The highlights include increased paid time for union stewards, new language in preventing technology changes without bargaining with the union, increased training premiums, restoration of paid time off for military service, and new guidelines for harassment cases. The document also specifies changes in safety and health equipment, part-time transfers, trailer repair shops, non-discrimination, and job protection, among others. Finally, there are economic highlights such as increased daily guarantee, overtime wages, and reduced mechanic progression.”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Are UPS hubs still gross as gently caress, and do you still end your shift as a loader or unloader coughing up black poo poo? I only worked there for a couple of years back in the early 2000s, but Jesus what a health-wrecking, back-ruining job, and that was even before online ordering really took off.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

I know Gyges had issues so I'm curious to see what they say. The long-time part timers at my hub(10+ year part timers) are optimistic about it, as long as they make more than fresh meat due to their built up seniority, they're happy. If they wind up making only like a buck more an hour than a new walk-in, they're gonna be upset, yeah. though some of them said they'd just go full time in that case, due to the raises full timers are getting.

also, I really, really like that from what I heard, grievances will now ramp up, if someone in management gets grieved 3 times within a certain timeframe(like, a 3 month period), instead of being triple overtime penalty pay, further grievances will ascend to QUADRUPLE overtime penalty pay. so like, for example, this tryhard supervisor who keeps bumping the guy on the low pickoff down to do misc stuff and goes up there himself for 2-3 hours a night, if I were to nail him for that full time and nobody else also filed grievances against him for it, that would net me somewhere in the realm of $600. I'll take it. the last grievance check I got was for a sizeable amount, it paid for most of my current car so I didn't have to take a loan out or anything. management motherfuckers LOVE working union labor jobs when it's not their purview, and I LOVE writing them up for it. I'm really particular with my times too, so it's not like "this guy worked for 20 minutes today", it's "this guy worked for 10 minutes from x to y, then in this area from y to z for another 30 minutes. then after break he worked a further 15 minutes", and that really nets me bigger payouts than the guys who hand in generic, unspecified reports

Edit: skimmed it, lol at the "add 18,000 new fans to facilities". I'm pretty sure my hub has like 500 fans alone, unless every one of those 18,000 are the huge industrial fans, thats kind of a pittance. But I didn't really expect them to push for aircon or anything in the warehouses while also arguing for higher pay, vehicle aircon, etc. That can wait until next contract I guess. But if they do upgrade or add a bunch more industrial fans to increase airflow, that'd help a lot.

I was more pissed when I posted earlier, since I just realized that everyone with less than 10 years was essentially going to be making the same, pt. They did that last contract too, and I was a newish hire then and I realized it was bullshit. Basically the contracts tend to screw over the medium term guys, and the old timers get pissed that they aren't as far above a new hire as they were.

Still, I'm not going to believe anything until I see the actual contract. Last time 22.4 was sold as a way to alleviate overtime for Package Drivers, and the language of the contract turned it into a second tier sucker bet. Lots of stuff like Pension changes didn't make the press release but seems to have been part of the deal. Hopefully that $30 billion estimate value isn't including the cost of A/C in the trucks and poo poo. Also, does the A/C apply only to Package? What about Shifter and other vehicles(mules getting fans would be godly).

The building fan project started months ago and shouldn't be part of the contract. At least it did down here in Florida. It's actually made quite a noticeable difference inside, and they're only like halfway done with the building. The stupid new building they build 3 years ago and is already having issues.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Are UPS hubs still gross as gently caress, and do you still end your shift as a loader or unloader coughing up black poo poo? I only worked there for a couple of years back in the early 2000s, but Jesus what a health-wrecking, back-ruining job, and that was even before online ordering really took off.

Depends on your hub. They're still gross as gently caress, because holy poo poo do so very many packages leak everything from detergent to cement destroying acid. However the building in Jax went from blowing my nose and it looking like I just got out the coal mines, to normal. Of course I also went from loading trailers to Hazmat. So less visual terror more psychological terror as I deal with some rear end in a top hat in Miami returning to sender 70lbs of rotting bait fish to Wisconsin, because they were already bad when he got them.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 26, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some interesting results from the recent Morning Consult poll.

Highlights:

- All 50 state Governors have positive approval ratings, 0 national political leaders have a positive approval rating.

People in every single state like their Governor and hate everyone in Congress.

Republican Phil Scott of Vermont continues to be the most popular politician in the country by an enormous margin. His approval rating has hovered around 70% for his entire term and is currently at 76%.

- DeSantis still has a pretty positive approval rating in Florida (54%), but it has dropped by a net of 6 points since he announced he was running for President.

Almost all of the drop comes from Republicans.

Governor Doug Burgan has had no change in his approval since running for President and most people aren't even aware he is running. :smith:

- A bunch of other not too surprising things: Biden is up 60 points in the Democratic primary, Trump is up by ~30 in the Republican primary, and black voters in the south are becoming more and more upset with their Governors.

Even though every Governor has a net positive approval rating, Tony Evers in Wisconsin has the highest disapproval rate of 44% and "only" a net +7 approval rating.

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1684196118937194504

quote:

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear — a Democrat running for re-election this year in a deep-red state — remains among America’s most popular governors ahead of the November contest. His approval rating among GOP voters is stronger than any other Democratic governor, resisting drag from President Joe Biden’s poor standing in the Bluegrass State and setting up a formidable challenge for Republicans hoping to unseat him.

The other incumbent governor up for re-election this fall, Republican Tate Reeves of Mississippi, is among the country’s least popular, according to our latest quarterly data. His state’s partisan bent and the power of incumbency are likely to be enough to push him across the finish line in November, though strengthened antipathy from the state’s large share of Black voters could make him sweat.

How voters see the governors up for re-election in 2023

A strong 64% majority of Kentucky voters approve of Beshear’s job performance, while 32% disapprove, according to our second quarter surveys conducted April 1-June 30. This marks Beshear’s highest approval rating since Biden took office in January 2021.

Along with receiving solid marks from Kentucky Democrats and independents, Beshear wins approval from roughly half of the state’s Republicans, making him the country’s most popular Democratic governor with GOP voters.

Even with his father’s esteemed name in state politics, Beshear’s current standing is remarkable given Kentucky’s partisan bent. While he defeated Republican Gov. Matt Bevin in 2019 by a razor-thin margin due largely to the incumbent’s deep unpopularity, Trump would go on to win the state by 26 percentage points in 2020.

What we do that’s different: We survey thousands of U.S. voters every day, producing exclusive daily tracking on how they feel their senators and governors are doing. These results are aggregated and published quarterly to ensure comparable sample sizes for all 50 states.

Why this matters: We’ve surveyed voters in all 50 states on their state's leader approval since January 2017. That rich trend data offers a rare look at the changes in voter approval for senators and governors over time.

Despite that wide presidential margin, Cook Political Report and Sabato’s Crystal Ball have rated the race as leaning Democratic, with Cook citing Beshear’s approval rating in Morning Consult surveys, buoyed by his handling of natural disasters and Kentucky’s economic performance. (Another race-rater, Inside Elections, currently sees the contest as a toss-up.)

Beshear is entering the heat of the campaign with strong popularity despite voters’ deep dislike of Biden in his state. Kentucky voters are 37 points more likely to disapprove than approve of Biden’s job performance (30% to 67%). But to Beshear’s credit, even those who dislike the president more often than not give the governor positive marks.

Half of Kentucky voters who disapprove of Biden’s job performance approve of Beshear’s, and those who voted for Trump in 2020 are only slightly more likely to disapprove of the governor than approve.

The share of anti-Biden voters who strongly approve of Beshear is relatively small (13%), but so too is the share of these voters who strongly disapprove (20%). This gives Beshear an opportunity to reach out to anti-Biden voters to build a bipartisan coalition. It could also cause the Republican nominee — Trump-endorsed state Attorney General Daniel Cameron — to try to nationalize the contest in an attempt to force Kentucky voters to draw comparisons between their popular Democratic governor and the unpopular Democratic president.

While approval ratings do not always translate to electoral victories, Beshear’s unique standing among Republicans in his state will be handy if he can keep it in the hottest governor’s race on the map this fall. Beshear is competing in one of three off-year gubernatorial contests along with Mississippi and Louisiana, where Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards faces a term limit.

The other incumbent governor facing voters this year, Republican Tate Reeves of Mississippi, is much less popular than Beshear.

Over 3 in 5 Black voters in Mississippi disapprove of Reeves’ job performance, including 50% who strongly disapprove. The latter figure is up 16 points over the past two years — which contrasts with little change in sentiment among white voters — and suggests heightened energy against the Republican incumbent among Mississippi’s Black voters.

America’s most popular governors

While Mississippi’s Reeves faces re-election this year as one of America’s least popular governors, Kentucky’s Beshear is running with the distinction of being one of the country’s most popular incumbents.

For the third quarter in a row, Phil Scott (R-Vt.) is America’s most popular governor, earning positive marks from 76% of voters in his state compared with 22% who disapprove. He’s followed by Gov. Mark Gordon (R-Wyo.), who has a 69% approval rating, while Govs. Josh Green (D-Hawaii) and Chris Sununu (R-N.H.) share 64% approval ratings with Beshear.

While Green is the most popular newly elected governor, Republican Sarah Huckabee Sanders of Arkansas and Democrat Maura Healey of Massachusetts aren’t too far off, receiving positive marks from 3 in 5 voters in their respective states. One in 5 voters expressed uncertainty about their views of newly elected Govs. Wes Moore (D-Md.) and Jim Pillen (R-Neb.), showing that the two have some work to do to raise their profiles at home even as the Marylander gets glossy attention at the national level.

Following his 2022 re-election, Gov. Tony Evers (D-Wis.) is America’s most disliked governor, with a 44% disapproval rating. He is followed by Gov. Jay Inslee (D-Wash.), who has a 43% disapproval rating and has decided not to seek re-election next year.

And then there are the two governors seeking the Republican nomination for president: Ron DeSantis of Florida and Doug Burgum of North Dakota.

DeSantis — who launched his presidential campaign in late May — saw his home-state approval rating fall slightly between the first and second quarters of 2023. While the majority of Florida voters (54%) still approve of his job performance, the share who disapprove increased from 38% to 42%, driven in part by a slight decline in sentiment among Republicans in his state.

On the other hand, little changed in how North Dakotans view Burgum, who announced his own candidacy in the third month of the quarterly survey. The majority of voters in his state, including 68% of Republicans, approve of his job performance, which is largely unchanged since the first quarter of 2023.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Congress is having its third hearing on UFOs right now and one guy is claiming that he knows people who have had personal encounters with aliens and that the U.S. government has been reverse engineering alien spacecraft since the 60's and has alien bodies in its possession for research.

He has not seen any of this personally, but he says that multiple "current and former" members of the military have told him this.

Nobody seems to have expected him to say this and everyone is very confused.

His name is David Grusch and he is a former member of the Air Force.

quote:

He says it came after he heard reports from multiple "esteemed and credentialed" current and former military and intelligence officials that the US government was "operating with secrecy" in regards to UAPs.

During his time in the military, he says he was informed of a "multi-decade UAP crash retrieval and reverse engineering program". He says that the people he spoke to also claimed that the U.S. government has access to the corpses of "alien lifeforms" and "intact and partially intact" alien vehicles.

He was denied access to additional information about it, he says.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-hearing-uap-house-oversight-committee-watch-live-stream-today-2023-07-26/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Congress is having its third hearing on UFOs right now and one guy is claiming that he knows people who have had personal encounters with aliens and that the U.S. government has been reverse engineering alien spacecraft since the 60's and has alien bodies in its possession for research.

He has not seen any of this personally, but he says that multiple "current and former" members of the military have told him this.

Nobody seems to have expected him to say this and everyone is very confused.

His name is David Grusch and he is a former member of the Air Force.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-hearing-uap-house-oversight-committee-watch-live-stream-today-2023-07-26/

Hasn’t he been saying this in tv interviews for a while? I might be thinking of some other guy who’s been in the news for ufo stuff.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronash posted:

He did.They tried to justify it by claiming the need to "protect federal buildings," but CBP was brought in because of DHS' loyalty to Trump.
Fair enough, not to move goalposts but I think the difference is that that wasn’t done with the intent of enforcing an administrative action against a state government, it was just using federal agents to intimidate individuals, which is bad but not really unprecedented, and unlikely to lead to broader conflict between governments about their powers and jurisdictions.

If Trump had sent in federal agents to try to confiscate all the weed in Portland, maybe that would be comparable, in terms of federal authorities aggressively overriding illegal state gov actions (which legal weed technically is.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I AM GRANDO posted:

Hasn’t he been saying this in tv interviews for a while? I might be thinking of some other guy who’s been in the news for ufo stuff.

Yes, sort of. He did an interview with 60 minutes where he said the U.S. has interactions with UFOs almost every day that aren't reported. I don't think he said anything about the alien bodies or spaceships in his 60 minutes interview.

quote:

Former Navy pilot Lieutenant Ryan Graves calls whatever is out there a security risk. He told us his F/A-18F squadron began seeing UAPs hovering over restricted airspace southeast of Virginia Beach in 2014 when they updated their jet's radar, making it possible to zero in with infrared targeting cameras.

Bill Whitaker: So you're seeing it both with the radar and with the infrared. And that tells you that there is something out there?

Ryan Graves: Pretty hard to spoof that.

These photographs were taken in 2019 in the same area. The Pentagon confirms these are images of objects it can't identify. Lieutenant Graves told us pilots training off the Atlantic Coast see things like that all the time.

Ryan Graves: Every day. Every day for at least a couple years.

Bill Whitaker: Wait a minute, every day for a couple of years?

Ryan Graves: Uh-huh.

Ryan Graves: I don't see an exhaust plume.

quote:

The government has ignored it - at least publicly - since closing its project "Blue Book" investigation in 1969. But that began to change after an incident off Southern California in 2004, which was documented by radar, by camera, and four naval aviators. We spoke to two of them: David Fravor, a graduate of the Top Gun naval flight school and commander of the F/A-18F squadron on the USS Nimitz; and flying at his wing, Lieutenant Alex Dietrich, who has never spoken publicly about the encounter.

Here's the full transcript:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-military-intelligence-60-minutes-2021-05-16/

Edit:

He's back baby.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1684214321360904198

I know that all the O'Malley-heads out there have been waiting for this for a long time.

People on Twitter in 2016 are going to be very excited about this.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 26, 2023

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Yes, sort of. He did an interview with 60 minutes where he said the U.S. has interactions with UFOs almost every day that aren't reported. I don't think he said anything about the alien bodies or spaceships in his 60 minutes interview.

He has made these claims before, in June, in a different interview here. Relevant excerpt:

quote:

“We’re definitely not alone,” he said. “The data points quite empirically that we’re not alone.”

He says the United States has intact spacecraft in its possession.

And possibly bodies.

“Well, naturally, when you recover something that’s either landed or crashed … sometimes you encounter dead pilots and, believe it or not, as fantastical as that sounds. It’s true,” Grusch said.

He told NewsNation that he has seen “some interesting photos,” and “read some very interesting reports. However, he says that the specific documents and photos that would prove his claims are still classified and he cannot disclose them here.
He's probably lying or delusional, but I Want To Believe so I hope he's legit he's not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope we at least find out there’s been some kind of egregious scamming going on. If people actually talked to this guy and led him on about ufo poo poo, what was the point? To make him look insane and discredit him because he was given authority to learn about budgets?

I feel like he’d have to be predisposed to believe this poo poo, since even though it was his job to collect evidence about ufos, he doesn’t have any evidence but is absolutely confident the things he’s been told are true.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hunter Biden was expected to plead guilty to tax charges today, but the plea deal has fallen apart and been withdrawn because of "public outcry" and House Republicans asking the Judge to delay a ruling until they finish their series of public hearings on Hunter Biden.

Literally happened 3 minutes ago, so waiting for a full story or any additional details. But, it is quite odd.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/hunter-biden-tax-charges-hearing/index.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hunter Biden was expected to plead guilty to tax charges today, but the plea deal has fallen apart and been withdrawn because of "public outcry" and House Republicans asking the Judge to delay a ruling until they finish their series of public hearings on Hunter Biden.

Literally happened 3 minutes ago, so waiting for a full story or any additional details. But, it is quite odd.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/hunter-biden-tax-charges-hearing/index.html
Oh great, we get to continue to have to hear about this forever now don’t we

I had hoped that this would just go away

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1684205213874286597

Keep loving that chicken I guess

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Since when do politicians have any say over delaying a criminal trial?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CNN Summary of the House Republican filings to the Judge.

quote:

The Republican chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee submitted materials Tuesday to the judge in Hunter Biden’s criminal case, flagging recent claims from IRS whistleblowers that the probe into President Joe Biden’s son was tainted by political interference.

Rep. Jason Smith, a Missouri Republican, wants District Judge Maryellen Noreika to “consider” these allegations while she presides over Hunter Biden’s plea hearing on Wednesday morning in Delaware.

“The Defendant appears to have benefited from political interference which calls into question the propriety of the investigation of the U.S. Attorney’s Office,” Smith’s attorney wrote in a court filing, which went to say, “it is critical that the Court consider the Whistleblower Materials before determining whether to accept the Plea Agreement.”

As the judge presiding over the case, Noreika has the power to reject the plea agreement that was negotiated between Hunter Biden and the Justice Department, though that would be a surprising and unexpected move. The House committee and Smith are not parties in the case.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/hunter-biden-tax-charges-hearing/h_9ff896410dee30d341e7f6085303f4fa

Bolded, because this was written before it happened.

Hunter's lawyers have asked for a recess for 10 minutes to see if they can find a way for him to plead guilty today and get some kind of plea deal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Update from CNN: Looks like the Judge called another recess after the 10-minute one was up.

Probably no more significant updates on this for another 30 minutes at least.

quote:

The judge called a second recess in the Hunter Biden plea proceedings as it appeared that the agreements the president's son had reached with prosecutors had begun to unravel.

The judge said she had "concerns" about the parties seemingly linking the tax plea agreement to the deal on the gun charge. During the proceedings, prosecutors confirmed that the investigation into President Joe Biden's son was ongoing.

The judge had been questioning the parties on the scope of the agreement.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/hunter-biden-tax-charges-hearing/index.html?tab=all

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

'Has begun to unravel' is a weird way to write 'The Trump-appointed judge is unilaterally rejecting it'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

'Has begun to unravel' is a weird way to write 'The Trump-appointed judge is unilaterally rejecting it'

To be fair, it is not 100% the judge. Though, she is driving it. She seems to be questioning the prosecution and they are backing away from the original deal because of her concerns. They technically could try to force this through and make the judge explicitly set the terms/reject the deal, but they aren't.

quote:

Hunter Biden’s lawyers repeatedly cast the deal as the final chapter of the five-year inquiry into the president's son. But Judge Noreika quickly punctured that assertion when she asked a prosecutor, Leo Wise, if the Biden investigation was “ongoing.” He replied “yes,” adding that if Biden’s team thought otherwise, “then there’s no deal.”

The original deal basically said if he pled guilty, then he would be immune from any further charges related to this. The judge says she doesn't like the idea that there is still "an active investigation" and the plea deal could potentially eliminate any other charges they might discover later. The prosecution has backed down from that after the judge prodded and Hunter's lawyers say they just want to plead guilty and include the immunity to settle the case 100%.

The judge also didn't like that the gun charge was tied to the tax stuff and the prosecution was backing away from that too. Hunter's lawyers want the broad immunity and the gun charge included in the deal to resolve everything at once and aren't happy that it means they will have to keep going with a new case for the gun charges.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NYT has updates:

quote:

As we wait to see whether the deal is salvaged, it’s important to remember that it was negotiated over weeks in which there were lengthy back and forths about every inch of the deal. The idea that this issue was not resolved seems extraordinary.

quote:

After conferring during recess, Biden's lawyers and the government lawyers agree that the diversion agreement on the gun charge is separate from the plea deal on the tax charges. The judge in the case had questioned if the agreements were separate.

Looks like Hunter's lawyers have agreed to split the gun charge off and have separate sentencing for that (probation and being banned from owning a gun for a period of time) and are trying to get the judge to sign off on something that lets him plead guilty to the tax charges today.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/07/26/us/hunter-biden-plea-tax-charges

Quite a weird situation and a whirlwind of stuff going on for what was supposed to be a boring guilty plea.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
A boring guilty plea will not force Biden's son to commit suicide, which is the goal of the House GOP.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tayter Swift posted:

A boring guilty plea will not force Biden's son to commit suicide, which is the goal of the House GOP.

It's two misdemeanor tax charges. He's not going to jail for them regardless. Stretching proceedings out is always stressful and annoying, but this is not anywhere near suicide-worthy. The Judge is also not plotting with the House Republicans to kill him. She is sympathetic to their legal arguments, though. I think there will almost certainly still be a plea deal of some kind, but it will be much more limited in scope. It would be crazy and unprecedented if they forced a trial for failing to pay taxes that have already been paid back and the defendant wants to plead guilty.

The funniest outcome of this is that it is likely that the gun charge being separated from the plea deal means that Biden will go to the Supreme Court to argue that the banning anyone who has used an illegal substance from owning a gun is unconstitutional.

He would have a good chance of winning in any court, but it would be especially funny to see this Supreme Court decide whether to limit the federal government's power over guns or clear Hunter Biden.

https://twitter.com/StephenGutowski/status/1684234386454065153

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 26, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like this is absolutely one of those cases where the union is basically forcing their employer to actually get their poo poo together before the whole organisation collapses from neglect and tight-fisted incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

What makes you think the goal of the House GOP is to force Joe Biden's son to commit suicide?

I think their goal is to create negative press around Joe Biden. I don't think they're able to force Joe Biden's son to commit suicide, or that they have any particular intent to do so.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 26, 2023