Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Platystemon posted:

As I said last time,

May?!! He did what was best for the nation and the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Forget frying eggs, the ground in Arizona is so hot it's sending people who fall to the er with burns.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/24/health/arizona-heat-burns-er/index.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
At least it’s a dry heat!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

E. Revenant posted:

The best chrismas song is ultimately from the 90's. It's from Home Alone when the kid is leaving the church and it's called *googles it* Carol of the Bells from 1919.

I will not be changing my initial statement as I honestly believed it for way too long to change now

the original ancient ukrainian lyrics to the effect of "you have a hot wife and lots of fat sheep" are way better

anyway the best christmas album is the korean barbershop trio one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is why I can't bring myself to hate that one Mariah Carey song. It's the only "new" Christmas-related thing in decades.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Arrath posted:

Forget frying eggs, the ground in Arizona is so hot it's sending people who fall to the er with burns.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/24/health/arizona-heat-burns-er/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

While we're on the topic, how is it Baby It's Cold Outside hasn't gotten canceled into the sun yet?

Its content is bad enough but the song loving sucks to boot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CBJSprague24 posted:

While we're on the topic, how is it Baby It's Cold Outside hasn't gotten canceled into the sun yet?

Because cancel culture doesn't exist

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://youtu.be/Y56Yulhla6Y

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CBJSprague24 posted:

...have you not been on the Internet in the past decade and a half? It's come up repeatedly and I'm fairly satisfied with the argument that the "unyielding man badgers woman into sex" frame ignores the context in which it was written and inaccurately imposes a modern frame. It's a song about a couple in a severely prudish era playfully working through excuses to pawn of on all the snide busybodies who are going to heap shame upon the unwedded woman for daring to stay the night with her lover.

But it can certainly be hard to divorce it from the modern context, hence recent updates to the song.

Snopes has an article on it :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

...have you not been on the Internet in the past decade and a half? It's come up repeatedly and I'm fairly satisfied with the argument that the "unyielding man badgers woman into sex" frame ignores the context in which it was written and inaccurately imposes a modern frame. It's a song about a couple in a severely prudish era playfully working through excuses to pawn of on all the snide busybodies who are going to heap shame upon the unwedded woman for daring to stay the night with her lover.

But it can certainly be hard to divorce it from the modern context, hence recent updates to the song.

Snopes has an article on it :shrug:

But, more importantly, it's not a good song.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stultus Maximus posted:

But, more importantly, it's not a good song.
I think it's cute! Though I guess it's only the Venture Bros. rendition I've heard lately.
https://youtu.be/5ebVLU1SC7I

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think it's cute! Though I guess it's only the Venture Bros. rendition I've heard lately.
https://youtu.be/5ebVLU1SC7I

Key & Peele's take on it is, unsurprisingly, great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToY8bT_Wu6g

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

More like Baby It's Hot Outside, gently caress this summer

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the original ancient ukrainian lyrics to the effect of "you have a hot wife and lots of fat sheep" are way better

That's hot dark-browed wife, that's culturally important. And yeah, it's funny how "you'll have a successful year making lots of cash on your agricultural products" got re-purposed for a religious holiday.

... Anyway, I would love to hear American singers try to pronounce "Shchedryk, shchedryk, shchedrivochka"

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I see your Baby It's Cold Outside and Raise you "Seventeen" by Winger.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I see your Baby It's Cold Outside and Raise you "Seventeen" by Winger.

I raise you, “Edge of Seventeen,” by Fleetwood Mac

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

windshipper posted:

I raise you, “Edge of Seventeen,” by Fleetwood Mac

I looked this up, because I don't recognize the title.
I love this song, but couldn't tell you a single word of it, just mock phonetic syllables, like when I sing along to foreign songs. I'm not sure if it's the hearing loss or the audio mixing, but if you put a gun to my head, I might get 1/8th of the words.

I know the line isn't "Like the Lone Ranger", but gently caress it, it fits.

Had no idea.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I love this song, but couldn't tell you a single word of it, just mock phonetic syllables, like when I sing along to foreign songs. I'm not sure if it's the hearing loss or the audio mixing, but if you put a gun to my head, I might get 1/8th of the words.

Had no idea.

It’s a great song, music and melody wise.

The lyrics are :stare:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Had no idea.

The song was itself inspired by mishearing someone say "age of seventeen".

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1683913276554457088?t=LvB3fAF5iJ2ZMS3lQYc5vw&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagining children and getting mad at what they're learning

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
well there's your problem

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1684171471373860864?t=n39LqtTjpFlEEla6a8FJCQ&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Crane failures gimme the willies and I don't know why. Big oopsies from other big machines I might can enjoy so long as nobody is hurt but I've never seen a crane collapse that didn't freak me the hell out

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that's scary as gently caress

I hope whoever was near / under that crane and debris is ok.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy poo poo that's scary as gently caress

I hope whoever was near / under that crane and debris is ok.

It looks like they had that section of street cordoned off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
A little late to Christmas music chat, but Twisted Sister has everything you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-SpT69IZ8

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagining children and getting mad at what they're learning

I didn't look at all three studies, but looking at the EdChoice crosstabs which is the first study, the ratios should have been:

code:

Pos    Neg  Neut
Parents      40.8%  36.6%  22.7%
Non-parents  28.6%  40.2%  31.2%
I calculated the percentages of non-parents from the sums presented in EC1_3 (which lines up with the reported values) and calculated the sums and percentages of parents by subtracting out the non-parents from the total adults values. I'm not sure what wizardry got them to 57% since no particular demographic group exceeds 47% Right Direction. That was reported among first generation immigrants regardless of their parent status. It's not possible that any groupings of demographic can exceed that highest value.

Non-parents includes "adults without children, those with children over 18, those with children under 18 not in the house and those who have children in the household but not in K-12". Plenty of those groups do have a stake in the local school system such as recent grads, parents of recent grads, parents without custody, grandparents, aunts, uncles, education system employees without children, currently in school.

My intuition is that pundits are probably wrong, but I'm not sure the best way to show it is by cherry picking one specific question out of a 173 question survey and then making up response values. I am unsatisfied with the educations provided to Matt Barnum and Nadia Bey.

piL fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 26, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cool https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/25/texas-a-m-professor-opioids-dan-patrick/

quote:

Joy Alonzo, a respected opioid expert, was in a panic.

The Texas A&M University professor had just returned home from giving a routine lecture on the opioid crisis at the University of Texas Medical Branch in March when she learned a student had accused her of disparaging Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick during the talk.

In the few hours it took to drive from Galveston, the complaint had made its way to her supervisors, and Alonzo’s job was suddenly at risk.

student reported a teacher and they got suspended. The later investigation found no reason for this and no one could point to what she said that was actually problematic. The particularly alarming part of this is that the suspension came down within hours of the professor giving an invited lecture at another college.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This country gonna get dumb as poo poo when the brain drain really kicks in

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Oh cool almost fully entrenched fascism. I can't wait for the cops or coplike beings to show up when you hurt a dear leader's feelings.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1684123012646174720

(Maude Flanders shrieking "Will someone PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE think of the children?")

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

This country gonna get dumb as poo poo when the brain drain really kicks in

Every friend I have in academia in red states have been looking for new jobs for the last few years.

I give a lecture on AIDS in my class and I just give a factual timeline of how the US hosed its response peppered with quotes about Reagan officials calling reporters gay (to laughter from the room) who asked why GRID (now AIDS) wasn't being addressed etc and how Reagan only publicly mentioned AIDS and approved funding for its research within a week after his friend Rock Hudson died of it. I finish it up with the HIV outbreak in Indiana that occurred after Pence killed a clean needle program when he was governor, and how his own party begged him to restore the program and the estimated ~200+ deaths the decision caused. I conclude with mentioning Pence was put in charge of covid response and we go into covid in the next lecture.

Gonna get fired for that one one day I suppose but gently caress them if they think I'll stop teaching it.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
The hearing on UFOs has started, link to stream below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7Dw-739VY

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Oh cool almost fully entrenched fascism. I can't wait for the cops or coplike beings to show up when you hurt a dear leader's feelings.

I still want the photo of sullen, forlorn, defeated Courtroom Donald Trump when we all have to hang photos of him in our houses because he heard North Korea does that with the Kims.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

This is like literally poo poo that happened under Mao except the teachers got sent to camps etc.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

piL posted:

I didn't look at all three studies, but looking at the EdChoice crosstabs which is the first study, the ratios should have been:

code:

Pos    Neg  Neut
Parents      40.8%  36.6%  22.7%
Non-parents  28.6%  40.2%  31.2%
I calculated the percentages of non-parents from the sums presented in EC1_3 (which lines up with the reported values) and calculated the sums and percentages of parents by subtracting out the non-parents from the total adults values. I'm not sure what wizardry got them to 57% since no particular demographic group exceeds 47% Right Direction. That was reported among first generation immigrants regardless of their parent status. It's not possible that any groupings of demographic can exceed that highest value.

Non-parents includes "adults without children, those with children over 18, those with children under 18 not in the house and those who have children in the household but not in K-12". Plenty of those groups do have a stake in the local school system such as recent grads, parents of recent grads, parents without custody, grandparents, aunts, uncles, education system employees without children, currently in school.

My intuition is that pundits are probably wrong, but I'm not sure the best way to show it is by cherry picking one specific question out of a 173 question survey and then making up response values. I am unsatisfied with the educations provided to Matt Barnum and Nadia Bey.

I don't have any children. What is taught in schools is still incredibly important to me though. I want the younger generation taught to a high standard, after all, they will be the ones providing medical care to me in my old age. I would rather I receive live saving and/or necessary medical care from people who understand science, acknowledge that the earth is round, and don't have to concentrate to remember to breathe.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I still want the photo of sullen, forlorn, defeated Courtroom Donald Trump when we all have to hang photos of him in our houses because he heard North Korea does that with the Kims.

I'll get my Minecraft account banned before that happens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Every friend I have in academia in red states have been looking for new jobs for the last few years.

I give a lecture on AIDS in my class and I just give a factual timeline of how the US hosed its response peppered with quotes about Reagan officials calling reporters gay (to laughter from the room) who asked why GRID (now AIDS) wasn't being addressed etc and how Reagan only publicly mentioned AIDS and approved funding for its research within a week after his friend Rock Hudson died of it. I finish it up with the HIV outbreak in Indiana that occurred after Pence killed a clean needle program when he was governor, and how his own party begged him to restore the program and the estimated ~200+ deaths the decision caused. I conclude with mentioning Pence was put in charge of covid response and we go into covid in the next lecture.

Gonna get fired for that one one day I suppose but gently caress them if they think I'll stop teaching it.

My dad once got a complaint about covering Nixon cancelling Apollo and slashing exploration funding during his astronomy class.

The physics department got at least a decade of jokes out of that. I wonder if there would be more consequences than that today…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Sarern posted:

The hearing on UFOs has started, link to stream below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7Dw-739VY
Is it just the same crank falling back on his time as a pilot to spread credulous bullshit unchecked? Or do they have actual experts in?