Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dwesa posted:

Another great success of the Russian mir, new multipolar world order, BRICS, monke, good faith efforts regarding Ukrainian grain and whatnot

Two-thirds of African leaders refuse to attend Putin’s summit

Previous "Russia-Africa summit" was held in 2019, 43 heads of state or government were in attendance.

Other heads of states already planned to wash their hair, so they could not attend.

:byetankie:

im sure this will lead to further racial understanding amongst the Russian peoples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/United24media/status/1684144227071000576
I wonder if these are more patriot batteries to defend the sky around Odesa.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

If it was Patriot Launchers I think we would have heard.

The fact they don't name them, makes me suspect its an older or second line system, like ancient Hawks, or more Gepards, etc.

More the merrier though, as while Kyiv is well-defended, both the Odesa attacks and Russian Attack Helicopter strikes show there are definitely gaps.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/United24media/status/1684144227071000576
I wonder if these are more patriot batteries to defend the sky around Odesa.

An eerie silence falls over Kyiv as a lone C-5 begins unloading its cargo. As the object inside is slowly extracted it becomes obvious to onlookers that this is not an ordinary load of cargo.

Impossibly long to fit inside even an aircraft as large as the venerable C-5 still it extrudes, the brain child of a flight engineer who’s genius may have been better suited as a mad scientist.

Still, it exited the aircraft, until finally it lay upon the tarmac. There, in all its glory sat the U.S.S. Gerald Ford; there would be no need for a strike carrier group for this mission. The sounds of jet engines could be heard firing up as pilots eagerly began sorties to protect Kyiv skies…

Putin is a huge piece of poo poo

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tigey posted:

If it was Patriot Launchers I think we would have heard.

The fact they don't name them, makes me suspect its an older or second line system, like ancient Hawks, or more Gepards, etc.

More the merrier though, as while Kyiv is well-defended, both the Odesa attacks and Russian Attack Helicopter strikes show there are definitely gaps.

the gaps in question are SHORAD on the front lines and launchers capable of shooting down pseudo-hypersonic missiles when aimed at cities. This being said, a number of Ka-52s have bit the dust recently, including one yesterday.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/07/25/stopping-the-modern-hitler-snipers-hold-the-line-in-ukraines-battle-for-survival/
I know, it's Euromaidan Press, but this is still a good interview with a senior sniper about the role of snipers on the front and the challenges they face.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Sharing this discussion with Tim Synder and Ivan Krastev from a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqCGUVYkcmM

Its long (1.5hrs) but I found the last 20 or so minutes very interesting - paraphrasing the three points that most jumped out for me:

1 "For those really worried that committing to not just Ukrainian survival, but actual victory, will back Putin into a corner and force him to start a nuclear war?

Prigozhin's march showed what happens when Putin is backed into a corner and his life is threatened - he gets into a plane and flees, offering bribes to pay the other side into backing down, and quickly changes the propaganda subject."

2 "The West intervened in Iraq and occupied it, and failed.
The West didn't intervene* in Syria or occupy it, and failed. (*'not intervening' is debatable)
The West did intervene in Libya and didn't occupy it, and failed.

Even if the West had pure motives (and of course we don't), it doesn't have unlimited power or agency, and things can go to poo poo with or without it. Its not all about us, no matter how much we might want it to be (either because we're fascists or tankies). We're not the protagonist."

3 "The best Russia Strategy the West can have is a good Ukraine Strategy, because being defeated in imperial wars was one of the things that led to modern Europe's internal recognition of its own diminished power and influence, which led to European integration.

An unambigious defeat in Ukraine might help move Russia at least somewhat in that direction."

Tigey fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 26, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1684178669084745728#m
POCCNR seems determined to make sure nothing leaves or enters a Ukrainian port.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

:psyduck:

The Minsk agreements were signed in 2014 and 2015, not 2019 and 2022...

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There is a reason why the Black Sea fleet is at anchor. Any attempt to blockade Ukrainian ports puts them in range of Ukrainian AShM and naval drones.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1684178669084745728#m
POCCNR seems determined to make sure nothing leaves or enters a Ukrainian port.

I don't know anything here, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to blockade a port that has coastal weapons / missile systems.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Commodore_64 posted:

I don't know anything here, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to blockade a port that has coastal weapons / missile systems.

It's ok, reports of their strikes on Odessa probably claim they already destroyed all anti-ship weapons west of Sevastopol, so it's absolutely safe for their Black Sea fleet to blockade it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, oh no Russia might put aircraft and ships in firing range. Please don't do that.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, oh no Russia might put aircraft and ships in firing range. Please don't do that.

Ukraine Post standing by the printing presses ready for new stamp issues.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Chicken posted:

Ukraine Post standing by the printing presses ready for new stamp issues.

Russian warships loving themselves in all their holographic glory

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They have anti-ship missiles in Crimea though and could intercept the ships anywhere else.

Which is why Ukraine needs the F-16s and Tomahawks and more missiles and stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

They have anti-ship missiles in Crimea though and could intercept the ships anywhere else.

Which is why Ukraine needs the F-16s and Tomahawks and more missiles and stuff.

Of which a bunch just got blown up.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Their subs could be an issue. I dont know if UA has any anti sub capability.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Depends on location, northern Black Sea is too shallow for their Kilo-class submarines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Burns posted:

Their subs could be an issue. I dont know if UA has any anti sub capability.

Not yet as far as I know, if we don't count Moskva

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anders Puck Nielsen talked about this recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPcPZP-6os

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1682013091955892224#m

The launch of the Neptune missiles that sunk the Moskva

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Wow that's too much doomerism even for me lol. My guess is that monke will wait until the last possible moment to hit the mobilization button again. Probably lose a bunch of territory in the process, before managing to slow things down again for a bit.

I pointed this out in the Trump thread but he seems to be forgetting that Ukrainians were also fighting in Stalingrad.

:byetankie:: Wow this RFK Jr. and Trump guy are making a lot of sense. As a real leftist, I think I'll be voting for them. :dumbbravo:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RoyKeen posted:

Anders Puck Nielsen talked about this recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPcPZP-6os
Oh thanks, he's really good and I kind of forgotten about his updates. He's a Danish navy guy so he must love to finally talk about it after all the boring land stuff :v:

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1682013091955892224#m

The launch of the Neptune missiles that sunk the Moskva
Holy poo poo is that really it? After the sinking I don't remember seeing any actual confirmation.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that trash can lid has great comedic timing

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nearly 100 missiles were launched a while ago towards Ukraine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

loving imagine being corrected by sean hannity

how do you live with yourself after that

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

Nearly 100 missiles were launched a while ago towards Ukraine.

Moldovans in the border region are reporting seeing missiles flying overhead, probably heading to Khmelnytskyi region.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Kadyrov's tiktok brigade "Akhmad" got absolutely steamrolled by the Ukrainian 3rd Separate assault brigade at Klishchiivka and Andriivka, forcing the unit to retreat with casualties taken

E: wow the Kadyrovites may have been one of the last RU units still in Andriivka and Klischiivka, Ukraine either controls these towns now or will imminently retake them

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2023

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
It really creeps me out to watch a clip from Fox News where Hannity is saying something I agree with and the Democrat sounds like a rambling moron. I hope I didn't catch brainworms from my uncle.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

It really creeps me out to watch a clip from Fox News where Hannity is saying something I agree with and the Democrat sounds like a rambling moron. I hope I didn't catch brainworms from my uncle.

Its RFK Jr., though.

If you ever find yourself agreeing with him on anything, seek help immediately.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Kadyrov's tiktok brigade "Akhmad" got absolutely steamrolled by the Ukrainian 3rd Separate assault brigade at Klishchiivka and Andriivka, forcing the unit to retreat with casualties taken

E: wow the Kadyrovites may have been one of the last RU units still in Andriivka and Klischiivka, Ukraine either controls these towns now or will imminently retake them

I'm shocked that the tiktok legions weren't as effective as they claimed.

:byetankie:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Is there weird warble on the video or is that his voice?

Der Kyhe posted:

Its RFK Jr., though.

If you ever find yourself agreeing with him on anything, seek help immediately.

Also the point of being a republican and being on fox news is to own libs. If RFK Jr. was pro-Ukraine then Hannity would be saying we forced Russia into the war.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 26, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I never thought the tiktok brigade would get close enough to the action to get their well deserved flattening. Hilarious on the battlefield but at home they're sadistic bandits

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I'd say he sounds like Trump with a 'D' next to his name, but even Trump isn't as far off into cuckoo conspiracy land as this guy. Trump is a loudmouth narcissist, this guy is genuinely insane.

He literally believes that the guy who shot his father was made to do so via hypnosis, like in The Naked Gun or an episode of MacGyver.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Sound on for a Russian war tourist in Crimea :qq:ing about missiles being fired during her vacation stay

https://imgur.com/STiXiaA

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

I never thought the tiktok brigade would get close enough to the action to get their well deserved flattening. Hilarious on the battlefield but at home they're sadistic bandits

Their barracks were HIMARS-ed last year, resulting in massive casualties then as well.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Is there weird warble on the video or is that his voice?

Also the point of being a republican and being on fox news is to own libs. If RFK Jr. was pro-Ukraine then Hannity would be saying we forced Russia into the war.

He has a throat condition called spasmodic dysphoria, it's one of the only things I don't make fun of that nutjob for because he can't really control having that. He CAN control being an utter shitbag in every other way though so gently caress him anyway

More details about the Tiktok soldiers - apparently they ran headfirst into a salvo of cluster munitions and decided they'd had enough of war

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It looks as if there could be a potential spot for a breakthrough in the Zaporizhzhia direction. Ukraine just dumped 100 armored vehicles into an assault flanking Robotyne

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/07/26/ukraine-russia-war-romania-air-defence-putin-zelensky/

Ukraine has advanced northeast of Robotyne and taken the entire forest area in a 1.5km deep advance to the south

https://twitter.com/MilitaryLabb/status/1684222673151225857?s=20

Bonus stats: if Deputy Minister of Defense Hanna Maliar (Ukraine) is to be believed, the official KIA rate in Bakhmut direction is 8 Russians to every 1 Ukrainian.

E2: sorry lots of cool stuff to post today. The Chief of the Security Service of Ukraine officially took responsibility for damaging the Crimean Bridge last year:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/26/7412986/

I mean, we knew this already, but good to have that confirmation

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
If Russia is actually going to actively use their navy more and bring them out of port they are bound to lose ships, if Ukraine can sink the flagship of their fleet they are going to pick off ships all year and that is horrible press, just more flailing from Moscow