Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you got the bankroll, the RF 100-500 is a fantastic lens.

If that's too much sticker shock the 100-400 F5.6-8 might suit you well. It does have some compromises, the lens isn't insanely sharp, but it's also relatively affordable. Unfortunately 400mm is merely okay for wildlife but on a crop sensor it's less of a setback.

Another alternative would be the 800mm F11 (which is an insane 1200mm equivalent on a crop sensor). Getting that kind of reach for $1000 is pretty great, but it comes with the downside that it's bad in low light. You're gonna be cranking the ISO quite a bit once the sun gets low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finally getting around to filtering and editing the 3000+ photos I took at Le Mans. Some brief thoughts.
I spent so long in m43 that 4:3 is such a good aspect ratio to me, and I find myself cropping to that more often than not.
The fujifilm 70-300 is so far so good, but I did find that because the aperture changes with zoom, it's best to leave the aperture and shutter in auto and let the camera figure it out when taking motorsports action shots where you're panning and zooming all the time.
I took so many spray and pray photos of nothing, since this is a relatively unfamiliar genre for me, having only ever had a long lens for motorsports once before, on my old m43 camera. God drat it makes sorting and filtering tedious. If only there was an AI helper that I could select "photos of cars, in focus" for importing.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Finger Prince posted:

God drat it makes sorting and filtering tedious. If only there was an AI helper that I could select "photos of cars, in focus" for importing.

If you do this kind of thing often enough, you might try Photo Mechanic. No AI, but it does streamline the culling process.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've used irfanview to scroll + delete, but I suspect photo mechanic is better suited.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Not to "be that guy" but I'm selling two minty Fuji lenses in SAmart — a Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 and Mitakon 35mm 0.95. Both amazing lenses that are essentially unused. Check the listing or PM me if you're interested!

And so I'm contributing: anyone here use Fuji for video? I mainly shoot Sony now but brought my X-H2S on a work trip to Japan (for photo duty) and brought it around on my days off. Here's a little video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Py5PzwX4U. It's not my favorite video camera to use — missing useful exposure tools and the manual focus experience on Fuji lenses sucks — but the output for the price is pretty great. Plus it takes great photos. It's probably one of the best hybrid cameras ever made.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
That video is great. Total vibes.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Is the X100V still unobtainable at MSRP? I've got a vacation coming up in 6-8 weeks and was planning on taking my X-H1 + 16-55/2.8 but I'd really rather have something small. Are there retailers who stock them as they get them or do you just have to backorder with B&H and wait?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I thought I heard they aren’t even taking new X100V orders at this point as people have been waiting for months, but I may be wrong.

Anyone shoot with an X-T5? My wife has planned two big trips for us next year and I don’t want to haul my Nikon D5 around, so I’m thinking about trading in my X-T30. l like the X-T30 but the viewfinder is not ideal and I’d like something with IBIS for video and two memory card slots for backup. I took the X-T30 to Seattle last summer and felt I didn’t make the most of the trip from a photography/videography standpoint.

Anyone shoot an X-T5 and have strong opinions?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Is the X100V still unobtainable at MSRP? I've got a vacation coming up in 6-8 weeks and was planning on taking my X-H1 + 16-55/2.8 but I'd really rather have something small. Are there retailers who stock them as they get them or do you just have to backorder with B&H and wait?

I’ve heard through the Fuji group here in Australian that retailers are starting to get them (but they sell out quick), the prices have cooled a little bit on used ones.

It’s nuts how that all went though, I sold the 100F I bought secondhand two years ago for an AUD500 profit a few months back. I’ve made money on some film camera sales but coming out ahead on a digital camera is definitely a first for me.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Easychair Bootson posted:

Would you consider the X-T30? I picked one up fairly recently ahead of a six-week trip, and paired with the 27 pancake it’s really quite tiny and unobtrusive. In fact, possibly too small … which leads to:

Brrrmph posted:

Anyone shoot an X-T5 and have strong opinions?
I’m also really curious to know this. I got the X-T30 specifically as a small travel camera I could carry around without attracting much attention, but honestly I’m wondering if I’ll regret not having IBIS and weathersealing … also, the EVF isn’t amazing, doubly so with my glasses, and the ergonomics aren’t fantastic.

I’d originally written off the X-T5 since it was bigger, but short of any local stock to try in person, I’m wondering if this is actually an issue?

My previous camera gear for overseas holidays has included a Hassy and a 4x5 field camera, so I’m pretty sure anything will be smaller in comparison…

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I shoot the XH2, same sensor as the XT5. I would have preferred the XT5 but for their decision to not make a battery grip, and to not configure it to take a third party one. I need my portrait controls.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I bought a Nikon Z30 for travel use, it's pretty small, not too expensive, and does the job. No EVF though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I have the X-T5. It’s great! Only slightly bigger than the X-T3. Significantly improved battery life.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

waffle enthusiast posted:

I have the X-T5. It’s great! Only slightly bigger than the X-T3. Significantly improved battery life.

How’s the autofocus? I’ve heard reviews ranging from it’s inconsistent trash to it’s fine and people on the internet are just dramatic. Is the eye focus on par with the X-T3?

Wibla posted:

I bought a Nikon Z30 for travel use, it's pretty small, not too expensive, and does the job. No EVF though.

This is tempting except I don’t want to buy into another lens system.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

That makes sense, yeah.

I'm transitioning from Nikon F (D750, D300) to Nikon Z (Z7II, Z30) and the Z glass tax is hefty.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ll be doing that someday. Trying to hold off until there are a lot more used Z lenses on the market. The Z8 is the first time I’ve felt a strong pull to switch now, but I can’t swing a $4,000 body with no lens, so the decision is still easy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

How’s the autofocus? I’ve heard reviews ranging from it’s inconsistent trash to it’s fine and people on the internet are just dramatic. Is the eye focus on par with the X-T3?

I do a lot of sports and nature so TBH I don’t have a lot of experience with eye tracking. When I’ve used it it seemed…fine. For my purposes, though, I’ve found autofocus to be acceptable, not amazing. It still misses a fair amount of action shots or — more commonly — picks the wrong subject. I’ve also found that shooting wide open definitely exacerbates the at problem given the small focus plane. But this is mostly user error. If you just want to get travel shots at f/8 or whatever I think it’ll be less of a problem.

I’m also not a pro, so YMMV. Mostly I just love how fun it is to shoot with.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

I’ll be doing that someday. Trying to hold off until there are a lot more used Z lenses on the market. The Z8 is the first time I’ve felt a strong pull to switch now, but I can’t swing a $4,000 body with no lens, so the decision is still easy.

Z8 looks really good, but it's well over $5000 here and I can't remotely justify that. I got the a Z7II with 150k shutter count, battery grip and 24-70 f/4 S for $2500 earlier this summer, and I really dig it.

I still have the D750 + 24-120 f/4 sitting in the cupboard, I really should sell that while it's still worth anything...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

Bold of you to call it an actual system considering how many DX lenses Nikon has released.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm being sorely tempted by a used GF3 as a semi-garbage walk-around camera. I already have a few m4/3 lenses, so buying into a system isn't really a factor and my gently caress they're cheap.

This is coming from a GH1, so my standards are not high.

Is there a compelling reason not to, at like $120?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Is there a compelling reason not to, at like $120?

that's like nothing in photo dollars, might as well. if that's well within "gently caress it, life's short" funds range, then why not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

that's like nothing in photo dollars, might as well. if that's well within "gently caress it, life's short" funds range, then why not?

Good advice from the guy who talked me into spending a few thousand dollars on camera kit. :v:

(though that was pushing on an open door)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Good advice from the guy who talked me into spending a few thousand dollars on camera kit. :v:

(though that was pushing on an open door)

was going to mention about being a bad influence :v: yeah your case was absolutely "you're about to go on a big trip and are leaning towards an upgrade, here's what to do"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

was going to mention about being a bad influence :v: yeah your case was absolutely "you're about to go on a big trip and are leaning towards an upgrade, here's what to do"

My only regret was I got the cheap XC telephoto instead of springing for the XF 70-300.

Though, getting a real good lens for literally a hundred American dollars is hard to beat.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Grand Fromage posted:

My only regret was I got the cheap XC telephoto instead of springing for the XF 70-300.

Though, getting a real good lens for literally a hundred American dollars is hard to beat.

I just snagged the 70-300 + 1.4 TC. I love my 55-200 but want some more reach with my kit ... and didn't want to lug around the 100-400 though they are priced insanely well used.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Used lenses for L-mount are so rare. Panasonic S1 is a very nice camera, but lenses have to be bought new. Only one lens I found used, sigma 35mm 1.4 dg dn. Since no one buys l-mount, no one switches gear either..

This was just a rant. I’d like a 18mm 1.8 Panasonic but it is 850€ new, and I don’t think I’m going to use it enough to justify buying it new. Sigh. So many nice lenses and cameras no one buys..

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ihmemies posted:

So many nice lenses and cameras no one buys..

you're talking to the dude who loves shooting a fujica stn-1n he got for free because the used camera guy gave it to me on the condition that i never bring it, or anything x-mount, through his doors ever again

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

you're talking to the dude who loves shooting a fujica stn-1n he got for free because the used camera guy gave it to me on the condition that i never bring it, or anything x-mount, through his doors ever again

Please tell this story.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
Welp, I bit the bullet and got a Sony A7R III 42.4mp with a standard 50mm lens, 2 batteries and charger, camera only had 20 shutter counts for $1650, feel like I got a good deal until now…more glass…

What other lenses should I look for? I want a cheap/decent macro and telephoto.

My background, AAS degree in video production 26 years ago, stopped shooting in the Beta/mini DV era….this is my 50 year old mid life crisis purchase. I’ve shot out of a helicopter, underwater (actually shot a beta sp with a housing underwater, that thing was loving heavy!), tons of sports, been on nat geo, outdoor tv, food network, local channels, etc…got tired of freelance and settled for a six figure (total compensation) in hospital AV conferencing support gig…insurance is awesome and I have a pension…but this is my mid life crisis purchase, had sports cars, I’d kill myself with one now so I figured a good camera would fill the void.

More context, I now live in Colorado, mountains are at my doorstep, so wildlife, nature, etc are probably going to be my focus with this endeavor…

So, where/what lenses should I get? Or anyone have any extras cheap?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

uwimage posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a Sony A7R III 42.4mp with a standard 50mm lens, 2 batteries and charger, camera only had 20 shutter counts for $1650, feel like I got a good deal until now…more glass…

My background, AAS degree in video production 26 years ago, stopped shooting in the Beta/mini DV era….this is my 50 year old mid life crisis purchase. I’ve shot out of a helicopter, underwater (actually shot a beta sp with a housing underwater, that thing was loving heavy!), tons of sports, been on nat geo, outdoor tv, food network, local channels, etc…got tired of freelance and settled for a six figure (total compensation) in hospital AV conferencing support gig…insurance is awesome and I have a pension…but this is my mid life crisis purchase, had sports cars, I’d kill myself with one now so I figured a good camera would fill the void.

More context, I now live in Colorado, mountains are at my doorstep, so wildlife, nature, etc are probably going to be my focus with this endeavor…

The Sony glass is kind of expensive owing to not have decades of secondhand gear like Canon and Nikon have, I was pleasantly surprised at how well my a7rii was able to perform with the Metabones and Sigma AF adapters and EF glass (sold all of them but my beater OG A7 that’s worth nothing).

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i got a sony nex c3 and the sony 16mm f2.8 for funsies - similar sentiment to buying a panasonic lumix gf3; i have a ricoh gr iii x and the small form factor of it makes me want all my camera bodies small and well designed

the joke is on me though - the nex c3’s menus are in Japanese and it appears to be a domestic model without the option to change the language

it would be very silly to stick the 16mm f2.8 on, say, a used a6600 or something…

i could also very easily buy a lumix gf3 and use my m43 mount laowa 7.5 f2 on it for peak small milc

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Please tell this story.

fellow goon Luxmore (who I don't think posts any more) operates(d) a used camera store in a place where i visited when working a summer festival i used to work on. immediately upon getting my first paycheck i'd go to his store and blow half of it on either something great (my nikon 80-200 2.8) or a by-the-pound quantity of abject trash that no sane person would spend money on

i saw the stx-1n, liked it aesthetically, liked the metering system, and thought the viewfinder was nice and it didn't take crazy moon batteries. so i confirmed the $10 pricetag, and he said i could have it for free as long as i never tried to trade it back to him either for money or not. i asked if there were any other lenses for it, he said there were basically three, he had none for that mount at all, didn't want to, and if i ever obtained one of the other lenses and tried to trade it back as a bundle, we weren't friends any more.

so yeah it's a cursed system but it's a nice little camera

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

uwimage posted:

Third party FE mount lenses are your friend, especially Sigma (DG DN though, not the older DG HSM) and Samyang if you want as or almost as good as first party for less to much less money, but also Tamron, Viltrox, 7Artisans, TT Artisan, Laowa depending on your budget and what you want to do.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Anyone got their hands on a Q3 yet? :confuoot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wolfs posted:

the joke is on me though - the nex c3’s menus are in Japanese and it appears to be a domestic model without the option to change the language

Try to look in the options menus for 言語 and try to change it to 英語 - every Japanese market digital camera I’ve bought has at least English along with Japanese.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

harperdc posted:

Try to look in the options menus for 言語 and try to change it to 英語 - every Japanese market digital camera I’ve bought has at least English along with Japanese.

Sony region locked the NEX and A7 (not sure if they still do) by only having Japanese menus and no option to change it. I had my parents bring me a US A7 when they came to visit in 2014 because I wanted to eventually be able to resell it after I moved*

* joke is on me because I’ve beat the hell out of it and it’s basically worthless now. I’ve also got a Japanese Nex5 I bought in Kobe when my 3 spontaneously quit working on a road trip (then started working again a few years later when I powered it on to take some pics for an “as is” eBay auction, kept it).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Sony region locked the NEX and A7 (not sure if they still do) by only having Japanese menus and no option to change it.

:rubby:

God dammit, of course Sony does that.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Just Sony things. Never forget that they are hostile to customers at the core.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

uwimage posted:

the previous version of the 70-200 f/4 will probably be found for a decent price used soon, since a new version is coming out.

look at the new version if you also want to incorporate macro. ... dunno that "cheap" applies to the new one, though. But it would address both of your needs?? it's also decently compact and lightweight and weather sealed, for all your outdoor needs

https://dustinabbott.net/2023/07/sony-fe-70-200mm-f4-macro-g-oss-ii-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Leempi posted:

Anyone got their hands on a Q3 yet? :confuoot:

Not yet… hoping one comes in stock before my trip on October but I’ll live if not.