Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Congratulations to Mr. Spacey for beating the case. A clear victory for the LGBT community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Ridley Scott getting on a frantic call with ILM to insert Spacey's head over Christopher Plumber's body in All the Money in the World

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Spacey's probably gonna get work again. Some soulless Hollywood suit is right this minute pitching his comeback

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mordja posted:

Congratulations to Mr. Spacey for beating the case. A clear victory for the LGBT community.

lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Xq6_g2r6Q

What if Homeward Bound but rated R. The gently caress is this.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Arc Hammer posted:

half the budget went to peanut butter to rub on the animals' gums so it'd look like they were "talking" in the shot

e: oh no of course it's just lovely cgi instead

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Arc Hammer posted:

Someone looked at Sausage Party 2016 and said "Hey, I have an idea that loving succcccccks."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arc Hammer posted:

from the people who brought you cocaine bear

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Looks like dog poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

lol actually. it's so loving stupid it actually rounds the 180 into drunk watch worthy

e: running time 93 minutes. original ip, not capeshit. I'm going to see strays in theaters on release y'all

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

from the people who brought you cocaine bear

I went to IMDB to see if this was another Elizabeth Banks atrocity and it turns out the writer is the guy who did "American Vandal". How sad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wot if Lassie said, "gently caress"?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arc Hammer posted:

What if Homeward Bound but rated R.
it'd be called we3 and it would kick rear end

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what if wholesome 90s trend but edgy

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

lol actually. it's so loving stupid it actually rounds the 180 into drunk watch worthy

e: running time 93 minutes. original ip, not capeshit. I'm going to see strays in theaters on release y'all

Yeah, It looks dumb as poo poo and I'm ok with dumb as poo poo. I'll watch this over Avatar anyday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arc Hammer posted:

I've been seeing the first trailer for this before movies in theaters for a few months, and yeah, it's always annoying as poo poo because it looks so terrible.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
But it's not even gently caress YOU ITS JANUARY yet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kalel posted:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Not saying Strays looks good but I give them tons of credit for remembering real dogs exist

https://youtu.be/rLVTl9nTOBU

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 26, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Weaponized Autism posted:

But it's not even gently caress YOU ITS JANUARY yet

Is that even a thing anymore? I think these days anything that bad just goes direct to streaming.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Gutcruncher posted:

Not saying Strays looks good but I give them tons of credit for remembering real dogs exist

https://youtu.be/rLVTl9nTOBU

But they did the CGI talking. I would rather have fake animals than real animals with computer faces.

They figured out "how to make an animal talk" before fuckin color TV and somehow we're making worse effects now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow! Can't believe that Kevin Spacey was just cast as the boys' swim coach on the next season of Euphoria. Comebacks are possible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Beastie posted:

Someone looked at Sausage Party 2016 and said "Hey, I have an idea that loving succcccccks."

I was gonna say "Is Seth Rogan a producer on this garbo"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

But they did the CGI talking. I would rather have fake animals than real animals with computer faces.

They figured out "how to make an animal talk" before fuckin color TV and somehow we're making worse effects now.

The techniques they used back then weren't that great for the animals, though. Also, it's a lot harder to "direct" an animal that is trying to get someone out of its mouth than one that just needs to look in a particular direction/tilt its head whichever way the off-camera trainer tells it to.

It's not like it's a CGI face, either. It's just usually a mouth/lip replacement. If that's too much GC for you and you'd prefer that an animal experience discomfort for hours of shooting, then I don't what what to tell you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that even a thing anymore? I think these days anything that bad just goes direct to streaming.
I was looking at movies that came out theatrically this past January and there was Plane, which is a total gently caress You It's January movie, but also M3GAN which is one of my favorite movies of the year. Also the remake of House Party and a new Left Behind movie starring Kevin Sorbo, which I don't think anyone saw and which I totally think would qualify.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Over reliance on cgi really pulls me out of the dogs that say gamer words film

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

The techniques they used back then weren't that great for the animals, though. Also, it's a lot harder to "direct" an animal that is trying to get someone out of its mouth than one that just needs to look in a particular direction/tilt its head whichever way the off-camera trainer tells it to.

It's not like it's a CGI face, either. It's just usually a mouth/lip replacement. If that's too much GC for you and you'd prefer that an animal experience discomfort for hours of shooting, then I don't what what to tell you.

thank you for calling out that goon and spitting that truth: "crappy computer effects suck" is the calling card of animal abusers

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 26, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

I was looking at movies that came out theatrically this past January and there was Plane, which is a total gently caress You It's January movie, but also M3GAN which is one of my favorite movies of the year. Also the remake of House Party and a new Left Behind movie starring Kevin Sorbo, which I don't think anyone saw and which I totally think would qualify.

well drat I'm glad it's still around.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

man Justified season 4 is some next level poo poo

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

thank you for calling out that goon and spitting that truth: "crappy computer effects suck" is the calling card of animal abusers

I mean, when their argument is to go back to methods for filming with animals that we stopped using once the American Humane Society put out its Guidelines for the Safe Use of Animals in Filmed Media, then yeah.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, when their argument is to go back to methods for filming with animals that we stopped using once the American Humane Society put out its Guidelines for the Safe Use of Animals in Filmed Media, then yeah.
lol this is the post you were replying to:

“pop fly to McGillicutty” posted:

I am desperately looking for a pro-animal abuse argument here and coming up empty. What is your deal?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Why don’t they just hook up the dogs to that gizmo from Congo

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Endless Trash posted:

I am desperately looking for a pro-animal abuse argument here and coming up empty. What is your deal?

Arguing that we should go back to the Mr Ed "shove poo poo in an animal's mouth so we can film it flailing its lips around trying to get that stuff out" method of making it seems like animals on screen can talk (which is specifically what McGillicutty is referencing there when he talks them having it "figured out" before the advent of color TV) is both very stupid and casually cruel. It also wouldn't even be allowed now and still get your production a Human Society sign-off.

Hope that clarifies things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Trash posted:

What about dogs and horses with severe peanut allergies!!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously you go Homeward Bound style where the animals are just telepathic or something

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Them thar fellers...they're them...them things. them things in chess? That you don't care about?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Arguing that we should go back to the Mr Ed "shove poo poo in an animal's mouth so we can film it flailing its lips around trying to get that stuff out" method of making it seems like animals on screen can talk (which is specifically what McGillicutty is referencing there when he talks them having it "figured out" before the advent of color TV) is both very stupid and casually cruel. It also wouldn't even be allowed now and still get your production a Human Society sign-off.

Hope that clarifies things.

Referencing yes, advocating for it and arguing for its return NO. “I would rather have fake dogs” is right in the post. That’s the only thing they advocate for.

It’s fine to talk about the cruelty of old Hollywood re: animals on set, good on you buddy, but you then immediately jump to accusations and it’s dumb, stop it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PostNouveau posted:

Obviously you go Homeward Bound style where the animals are just telepathic or something

Unironically that’s my favorite version of talking animal

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

LanceHunter posted:

I have young kids. Hearing them bitch about "weird animal faces" is more torture than Mr. Ed ever endured.

Lol at Lance in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Endless Trash posted:

Referencing yes, advocating for it and arguing for its return NO. “I would rather have fake dogs” is right in the post. That’s the only thing they advocate for.

It’s fine to talk about the cruelty of old Hollywood re: animals on set, good on you buddy, but you then immediately jump to accusations and it’s dumb, stop it

Two posts later...

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I have young kids. Hearing them bitch about "weird animal faces" is more torture than Mr. Ed ever endured.