Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Get Japan a budget to build some giant mecha, but not enough to go all the way so we can get a Guntank, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hand of Nod tank :hmmyes:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CainFortea posted:

From this video

The Mk XXXIII would have found a way to avoid this war.

Although that might have been by destroying the Russian concentration on Ukraine's border and daring Putin to launch the nukes, it has the "point" defense capabilities to deal with Russia's strategic arsenal.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

where's the UEF Fatboy :colbert:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
you know, they have actual cardboard drones running around in ukraine right?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a43402658/ukraine-cardboard-drones/

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

ded posted:

you know, they have actual cardboard drones running around in ukraine right?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a43402658/ukraine-cardboard-drones/

The flight computer, power distribution, radio, camera, video transmitter, and motor is not made from cardboard.

What you're replacing with cardboard is plastic or glass fiber/carbon fiber, which aren't really hard materials to source.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1683643667016306688

This seems like a moderately terrifying device.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I would definitely have that little guy lead the way down the trench.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jihad Jeeps from Battlefield 3 except drones

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you could ram dudes with drones in that over and over lol

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Jihad Jeeps from Battlefield 3 except drones

A good reply

https://twitter.com/jasonsnitker/status/1683649590241755140?s=46

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BOOMBA was right there!!!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Commercial car radars are far less sophisticated and powerful than a fire control radar.

Very true but you also don't need to intercept a 4 ton hypersonic missile here so you likely don't need to go fully into the MIC wonderland. For something functional against a Lancet-like drone one probably just need to get information on the level of "this is a thing, it is faster than 150 km/h, 200 meters away in that direction". For that level of information commercial auto radars would suffice provided they could actually detect the target. Though looking it up the Lancet probably present a radar cross section that is too small on approach for a normal 77ghz radar to pick up at that range.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bought a new smilie from the gbs thread

:byetankie:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Kith posted:

bought a new smilie from the gbs thread

:byetankie:
:hb: :byetankie: :hb:

I can get onboard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Awww, it's so cute :byetankie:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Whoever the Sun has doing their youtube videos should probably get an eye exam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmhxx5VrAA

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's impressive that their youtube channel is as factual as their paper.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

you could ram dudes with drones in that over and over lol

The golden age was when you could fly yourself around on your own MAV and snipe people from the air

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kazinsal posted:

Get Japan a budget to build some giant mecha, but not enough to go all the way so we can get a Guntank, dammit.

But then you could cut drone communication with minovsky particles

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That Works posted:

But then you could cut drone communication with minovsky particles

shinji shut the gently caress up and get in the drat robot

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Watching these suicide drone videos reminds me of watching precision TV-guided missile attacks on Iraqi targets during the Gulf War on TV when I was a kid.
Also, now that I think about it, some of my earliest memories are of watching the Gulf War on TV as it happened.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Watching these suicide drone videos reminds me of watching precision TV-guided missile attacks on Iraqi targets during the Gulf War on TV when I was a kid.
Also, now that I think about it, some of my earliest memories are of watching the Gulf War on TV as it happened.

We didn't get to see those until after the war, mostly. :corsair:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

We didn't get to see those until after the war, mostly. :corsair:

I do remember Norman Schwarzkopf holding a press conference at the start of the air war showing videos of precision bombs flying into windows and air ducts. Also something about the "luckiest guy in Iraq" who's car just barely got across abridge before it was taken out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So thats a Lancet hitting an old Challanger? And the tank is just sitting there stationary on the road in the middle of the field? I am confused, but not by the Sun's reporting, which is definitely crap.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Does a lancet have enough boom to do more than mobility kill a Leopard? They don't have shaped charges, do they?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NYT is reporting Zaporizhzhia occupation officials as claiming Ukraine is making a massive armored push south of Orikhiv right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/07/26/world/russia-ukraine-news/russia-ukraine-war-orikhiv-attack?smid=url-share

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Does a lancet have enough boom to do more than mobility kill a Leopard? They don't have shaped charges, do they?

For sure a mobility kill, a complete kill is far less likely.

And Ukraine has already shown they are recovering vehicles knocked out, which is more than can be said for Russia's tanks....which are usually a smoking ruin.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

For sure a mobility kill, a complete kill is far less likely.

And Ukraine has already shown they are recovering vehicles knocked out, which is more than can be said for Russia's tanks....which are usually a smoking ruin.

It sure did make them world class champions in the turret toss event though. Good times.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lancet can absolutely kill modern MBTs.

Heres one hitting a Leopard 2

This Leo may very well have been saved by blowout panels in rear turret tho, its hard to tell. But if so, it'd prob be the first time in video Ive seen that safety feature in action in combat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

This Leo may very well have been saved by blowout panels in rear turret tho, its hard to tell. But if so, it'd prob be the first time in video Ive seen that safety feature in action in combat.

I stand corrected, however that looks like the crew survived or would survive. Effectively its a mobility kill.

If that was any of the T series it'd be another turret toss champion competitor.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 26, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that's the same video that started the discussion lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Other than the blowout panels, it doesn't look like the tank took any major damage. As other people have mentioned, it was probably recovered and sent the rear for repair.

I've been videos of Bradleys that have been seriously hosed up and managed to limp back home. The Ukrainians love them, because 1) they would have been killed in a Soviet-built vehicle and 2) they can be salvaged and repaired.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

A.o.D. posted:

According to Wikipedia, Russia started using Lancets with HEAT in Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A crew that survives is a crew that can man another tank without training. A tank that doesn't burn out is a tank that can be repaired or used to repair other tanks.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

The ammo storage is on the other side of the turret. On the inside of where that Lancet hit is storage, radio, electronics, and maybe batteries (can’t find a labeled picture, but batteries looks like a good guess). On the outside are smoke grenade launchers

From that video, it is even unclear how much it actually penetrated. The explosion seen is all on the outside. In the last few seconds, it is hard to see on a tablet where exactly the smoke is coming from (could be from inside the tank, a bit longer would make that clearer).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

The ammo storage is on the other side of the turret. On the inside of where that Lancet hit is storage, radio, electronics, and maybe batteries (can’t find a labeled picture, but batteries looks like a good guess). On the outside are smoke grenade launchers

From that video, it is even unclear how much it actually penetrated. The explosion seen is all on the outside. In the last few seconds, it is hard to see on a tablet where exactly the smoke is coming from (could be from inside the tank, a bit longer would make that clearer).

I'm assuming it hit the powerpack and something in it is burning.

It looks like turret APU and the panels are just doors. The Lancet isn't even on the correct side to hit that ammo bin, the blowout panel is in one piece, and it slips under and explodes where the hydraulic powerpack sits.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 26, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I'm assuming it hit the powerpack and something in it is burning.

It looks like turret APU and the panels are just doors. The Lancet isn't even on the correct side to hit that ammo bin, the blowout panel is in one piece, and it slips under and explodes where the hydraulic powerpack sits.
The pictures you’ve posted are from an A4 which has the hydraulics for the turret situated in that corner. The A5 and A6 replaced that with an electric motor. I don’t know where that was placed, or what the space was used for instead.

The best picture I can find is from model kits:

Which makes it look like mostly electronics - which might actually be mostly separated from the actual crew compartment.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 26, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

The pictures you’ve posted are from an A4 which has the hydraulics for the turret situated in that corner. The A5 and A6 replaced that with an electric motor. I don’t know where that was placed, or what the space was used for instead.

The best picture I can find is from model kits:

Which makes it look like mostly electronics.

So still not much to hit. Yeah, the tanks done, but the crew has a good chance of surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I stand corrected, however that looks like the crew survived or would survive. Effectively its a mobility kill.

If that was any of the T series it'd be another turret toss champion competitor.

ISIS demonstrated back in 2016 that Leopards are no strangers to turret tossing, but I guess that's an issue with every type of MBT to a greater or lesser degree.

And yes a Lancet can absolutely kill a modern tank.