Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

mastajake posted:

...then putting on the Thunder Helm and doing it again.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for sharing this - I absolutely loved this theme when I played and I could just tell there was a ton of stuff layered in. Like the sax, god drat.

Also, anyone else get kind of emotional with the game's ending?

I dont know if I've just gotten soft with age, or if I'm just incredibly vulnerable to good musical motifs, but just the combination of Zelda's story arc and the bombast of that final battle combined with the "dive to reach her" bit - like on some level it all almost feels cliché and I could see it coming moments before, but god drat if I wants tearing up and hooting in excitement. I'm a total sucker for this stuff I guess.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Part of the way through the gerudo plot line and it’s probably my favorite of the four, pending the boss fight I guess.

LOVE the linear temple part, loved the light tower triangulation stuff, loved the town defense stuff. The sand shroud is an ok idea that is super loving irritating in practice but whatever

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Finished the fourth (lightning) temple and it was probably the closest to an old school Zelda dungeon. It almost scratched the itch. Boss sucked though.

I still haven’t upgrade my battery. And I don’t think I’ve built a vehicle for anything in the last 15 hours.

I definitely feel like I’m playing a different game than a lot of people here.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I dont know if I've just gotten soft with age, or if I'm just incredibly vulnerable to good musical motifs, but just the combination of Zelda's story arc and the bombast of that final battle combined with the "dive to reach her" bit - like on some level it all almost feels cliché and I could see it coming moments before, but god drat if I wants tearing up and hooting in excitement. I'm a total sucker for this stuff I guess.

Nah, I agree - looping back around to a dramatic skydive, combined with the whole re-doing a falling Zelda bit, was just a top notch moment, a perfect arc. The way they made the music line up and peak with your actions, despite said actions being QTEs, was just impeccable.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Thanks for sharing this - I absolutely loved this theme when I played and I could just tell there was a ton of stuff layered in. Like the sax, god drat.

I think what also helps is that the rest of the game can be SO low-key in comparison that these high intensity and emotional moments really stand out.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
That final part transitioning from the TotK theme to Zelda's Lullaby to the first bar of the main Legend of Zelda theme (which I think is just Link's theme in BotW and TotK) played at its most bombastic and triumphant is just such a perfect musical moment, I don't blame anyone for getting emotional over it. I think the two major reactions I've seen during the last dive in the moment are either getting teary-eyed or an intense "Link catch your girlfriend!!!"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Finding out you can ride around on dragons, and the ending, got me thinking about this:
https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/rabbit-couple-romeo-lilly
I don’t think the url could count as a spoiler, but eh.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

That final part transitioning from the TotK theme to Zelda's Lullaby to the first bar of the main Legend of Zelda theme (which I think is just Link's theme in BotW and TotK) played at its most bombastic and triumphant is just such a perfect musical moment, I don't blame anyone for getting emotional over it. I think the two major reactions I've seen during the last dive in the moment are either getting teary-eyed or an intense "Link catch your girlfriend!!!"

:hmmyes:

God the music this time around owned so loving hard. My only complaint is that I want there to be like 10x more of it

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dr Christmas posted:

Finding out you can ride around on dragons, and the ending, got me thinking about this:
https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/rabbit-couple-romeo-lilly
I don’t think the url could count as a spoiler, but eh.

"I love this woman and her scaly body."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zelda:"Link would you still love me if i was a worm"

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Regarding the ending, I hadn't collected all the geoglyph memories yet, nor did I make the connection that the light dragon was Zelda (though it seems obvious in retrospect), but when she showed up to fight dragon Ganon, it clicked, and felt like a huge reveal.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Also, the random jazz horns during the final fight. Superb.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
The music choice for the sky islands is pretty amazing overall. The obvious creative choice would be something bombastic and epic, but instead it's so serene and understated. Really gives it a dreamlike quality.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bawk posted:

Zelda:"Link would you still love me if i was a wyrm"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bawk posted:

:cawg:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

bawk posted:

Link: ... (yeah probably and look I'm really sorry I broke out two of your teeth to put on my armor)

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Fish Appreciator posted:

The music choice for the sky islands is pretty amazing overall. The obvious creative choice would be something bombastic and epic, but instead it's so serene and understated. Really gives it a dreamlike quality.

agreed.

I also realized that the horseriding music is probably my least favorite piece in the game which sucks considering how often you hear it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

I also realized that the horseriding music is probably my least favorite piece in the game which sucks considering how often you hear it

I dunno like twice in a hundred hours doesn't seem too bad :shrug:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dodgeblan posted:

agreed.

I'm like 70 hours in and I think the only time I ever rode a horse was for one of the bandmember quests for about 20 seconds.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

[spoilers snip]

100% agreed with you

e: god i love this game

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 26, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There’s horse riding music? :smug:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm like 70 hours in and I think the only time I ever rode a horse was for one of the bandmember quests for about 20 seconds.

I did spend a somewhat enjoyable hour towing a cart around a sunny Hyrule field towing a cart and annoying every foe I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfW_CRF5yyk

Also been toying with the Construct Head + Mirror + Beam Emitters combo in the desert. Pins the target in place while the beams go to work.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Docjowles posted:

Recall is the ability I always loving forget to use unless it's obviously the solution to a shrine, like in the name.

Recall is my quick fix for "accidentally activated plane/boat and it's racing away" and its close cousin "ultrahanded an item/korok onto a slope and it's rolling away."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
With ultrahand, recall, and two hover stones, you can move around arbitrarily in space. You ultrahand one stone to where you want to go, then back to near you, jump onto it, and recall it back to where you want to go. Then ultrahand the other stone and repeat until you reach your destination.

Not a terribly useful ability most of the time because it's quite slow, but it comes in handy occasionally. I think I used it twice the whole playthrough. Once in a wet cave before I had upgraded frog armor, and the other time, I couldn't find a hidden chest in Hyrule Castle, so I flew underneath the castle, used the sensor to triangulate where it was while gliding around, then used a hover-stone arrow to make a platform, landed on it, fire another hover-stone arrow, and then slowly lifted myself up to the underside of the castle until I could ascend into the hidden room.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

bawk posted:

Don’t you mean a wyrm?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Recall is my quick fix for "accidentally activated plane/boat and it's racing away" and its close cousin "ultrahanded an item/korok onto a slope and it's rolling away."

Those too, but for me it what helped set it in mind was when they introduced those drat frictionless sleds that like to just continue sliding away indefinitely after you hop off :arghfist:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What are all the materials that provide warmth and cool when fused to shields? I know gemstones and Talus hearts, do dragon horns?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Klungar posted:

What are all the materials that provide warmth and cool when fused to shields? I know gemstones and Talus hearts, do dragon horns?

I think basically anything that would normally make a weapon or arrow shoot fire/ice.

Pulling out a fire/ice wand also keeps you warm/cool.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My kid sold some armor I want and I had to do an annoying quest to buy it back at 4000 bux. At least I think I can make pizza now.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The Oracle games are on now live on Nintendo Switch Online!

Oracle of Ages will forever be one of the only mainline games I never beat, thanks to Goron Dancing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was just coming here to post that :arghfist:

I've been craving some 2D Zelda lately, it's been a while since I played those ones and they went up quite a bit in my opinion the last time I played through them. The only problem is that my gaming time is currently taken up with chilling out while exploring the great sea on my trusty boat companion in Wind Waker AssCreed Black Flag

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

My kid sold some armor I want and I had to do an annoying quest to buy it back at 4000 bux. At least I think I can make pizza now.

As a fellow player who lets his 6 year old take the wheel unsupervised, I feel this. Do you also enjoy coming back to 2 damage sticks fused to extremely rare high damage parts “because it’s really good!”?

The fact that this is just mildly annoying and in no way affects your ability to finish the game helped me come to terms with weapon durability

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Docjowles posted:

As a fellow player who lets his 6 year old take the wheel unsupervised, I feel this. Do you also enjoy coming back to 2 damage sticks fused to extremely rare high damage parts “because it’s really good!”?

The fact that this is just mildly annoying and in no way affects your ability to finish the game helped me come to terms with weapon durability

If you don't have a kid you may also have a drunk or high self that will do this to you. That guy sucks.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

MokBa posted:

The Oracle games are on now live on Nintendo Switch Online!

Oracle of Ages will forever be one of the only mainline games I never beat, thanks to Goron Dancing.

Oh gently caress yes. I beat LA DX a while ago and have been waiting for this ever since. Perfect timing too because I need to go somewhere tomorrow and I've been considering bringing my Switch along.

Advance Shop still seems to be closed though :mad: Oh well, there's probably a way to get the Advance Rings via password generators

edit: Universal secrets? It's like I'm playing Animal Crossing GCN all over again :getin:

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 27, 2023

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I wish I could convince my wife to just go to Hyrule Castle already so she can do the cool spirit temple and master sword quest chains instead of endlessly wandering around the depths farming muddle buds and farming upgrade items for the great fairies

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Docjowles posted:

There's a reason pretty much all my money goes to the little Goron in Tarrey Town that can pry apart your weapons and give you your damage parts back.

it's me, I'm the reason

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I think I would've had more fun if I did this, because I did the final boss with like 80 armor and the master sword with a white lynel horn fused to it and it was way too easy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Morranisishly: Fuse 'em if you got em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Item Getter posted:

I wish I could convince my wife to just go to Hyrule Castle already so she can do the cool spirit temple and master sword quest chains instead of endlessly wandering around the depths farming muddle buds and farming upgrade items for the great fairies

I mean if she wanders enough you can do both of those without going to Hyrule castle.