Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1683867169900077057?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I looked at another house today and it was covered in a nice layer of mouse poo poo and all the windows were hosed up. also electrical panel looked like a rats nest. no way I’m dumping money in that place.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RadiRoot posted:

I looked at another house today and it was covered in a nice layer of mouse poo poo and all the windows were hosed up. also electrical panel looked like a rats nest. no way I’m dumping money in that place.

But it's a healthy market!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

second housing bubble in 20 years

hope you bought before 2004 or so

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

anytime between 2009 and 2021 was great because of how low rates were
it's pretty nuts that the US is one of the few places that does 30-year fixed rate mortgages

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the 30 year fixed rate is a child of the new deal. but remember those were only for white people until the 70s and even then

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
You could have made a huge sum of cash if you bought in the mid 2010s, too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I feel like a huge dummy for buying a reasonable house that I could easily afford the payments on because now 7 years later we have kids and also now have a much better idea of what we want in a house but woops, can’t move.Even a marginal upgrade would at least double the mortgage payment.

Shoulda bought the max they would have given me a loan for back in 2016.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

same

can you expand your current house with an addition ?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This guy is confusing "the housing market is strong" and "people need a place to live"

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Also I wouldent categorize the unstoppable force (no demand) meeting the immovable object (no supply) as 'strong' - market is totally busted

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This guy is confusing "the housing market is strong" and "people need a place to live"

look at tha power of the market

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

housing market is strong which is why foreclosures are going up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RadiRoot posted:

housing market is strong which is why foreclosures are going up

The choice for a lot of people is paying for a wildly overpriced apartment they can't afford or rolling the dice on a mortgage they can't afford and hoping for a rate decrease to refi.

Apr 7, 2003

I locked in a 5.75% mortgage in June and now mortgages are more than two points higher. Very healthy

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Thoguh posted:

I feel like a huge dummy for buying a reasonable house that I could easily afford the payments on because now 7 years later we have kids and also now have a much better idea of what we want in a house but woops, can’t move.Even a marginal upgrade would at least double the mortgage payment.

yeah, it’s a bit tough because we are moving and our payment is now going to be from 1600 (15 yr @2.50 ish) to about 3k (30yr 7ish%). however, both our jobs relocated at the same time so had to do it.

my peers who didn’t move are still unemployed months later.

the pollinator garden we installed was apparently an attractive perk. so yay plant people.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Thoguh posted:

extremely same. I have a feeling that when we do pull the trigger in a few years, the bubble will burst and we’ll have 2008’ed ourselves for an extra office.

Apr 7, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

extremely same. I have a feeling that when we do pull the trigger in a few years, the bubble will burst and we’ll have 2008’ed ourselves for an extra office.

The bubble is never going to burst, the government has made it quite clear that they'll do whatever it takes to make sure housing prices never go down in any appreciable way ever again.

Housing will never be cheaper in this country than it is right now.

Apr 7, 2003

My brother lives in one of the shittiest and most depressed housing markets in the country, a place where he bought his current 3br 1ba house for $34K in 2012. Now anything that's a sidegrade or upgrade on what he's got is six figures. This is a community with a median household income under $30K/year.

Prices everywhere are going to go up forever and the government will spin this as a positive economic development.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

My brother lives in one of the shittiest and most depressed housing markets in the country, a place where he bought his current 3br 1ba house for $34K in 2012. Now anything that's a sidegrade or upgrade on what he's got is six figures. This is a community with a median household income under $30K/year.

Prices everywhere are going to go up forever and the government will spin this as a positive economic development.

three bedrooms, one bath. reminds me of that movie A Serious Man, where the uncle is using the only bathroom to drain his cyst for 16 hours of the day.

Wouldn't he be able sell at six figures as well? Wouldn't that be a wash?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

same

can you expand your current house with an addition ?

We could build out over the garage I suppose, but I cringe to learn how much that would cost. There's some improvements we could make but they're mostly stuff that would help if and when we sold the house vs making much of a difference for us right now. Stuff like make the room in the basement that we use as an office a conforming bedroom by putting in an egress window, make the bathroom down there that the prior owners put in themselves up to code, repaint or put down new carpet, that kind of stuff.

Apr 7, 2003

A Bad King posted:

three bedrooms, one bath

I mean, that was standard in this country for a very long time, the house I just bought is the only place I've ever lived in my life with more than one bathroom and I'm in my forties.

I never lived anywhere with central air until 2021 either, when I added it to my old house.

quote:

Wouldn't he be able sell at six figures as well? Wouldn't that be a wash?

Everything he's liked so far has gotten bid up or goes contingent within a few days. He doesn't want to deal with selling his current place while buying a new one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

We could build out over the garage I suppose, but I cringe to learn how much that would cost. There's some improvements we could make but they're mostly stuff that would help if and when we sold the house vs making much of a difference for us right now. Stuff like make the room in the basement that we use as an office a conforming bedroom by putting in an egress window, make the bathroom down there that the prior owners put in themselves up to code, repaint or put down new carpet, that kind of stuff.

is there yard space for an office shed ? or something like that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shed technology has progressed by leaps and bounds

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

sheds will never be cheaper than they are today

Apr 7, 2003

aw frig aw dang it posted:

sheds will never be cheaper than they are today

Get in on the ground floor, before it's too late.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

prices do not include the concrete pad

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gonna insulate that shed and run plumbing and electric to it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

gonna insulate that shed and run plumbing and electric to it

richie rich over here

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Having just one bathroom is basically one of the only things that will cause a house to actually linger on the market in my area. We have two full bathrooms and two half bathrooms now, and when we rebuilt our builder was pretty much going right up to the edge of calling us morons for not wanting to convert the half bath in the family room into a full.

Apr 7, 2003

As material conditions continue to decline, the American consumer will demand more perceived luxury products and features at the lowest price possible so that they can still feel affluent.

You won't be able to afford medical care, but your paperboard house will have twice as many bathrooms as bedrooms.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
you must have quartz lining your bathroom top to bottom and a huge loving tub, or your house is worthless

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

sonatinas posted:

you must have quartz lining your bathroom top to bottom and a huge loving tub, or your house is worthless

Somehow realtors are capable of holding this thought in their heads alongside the one that says "every house will only go up in value forever and be worth millions"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they haven’t been wrong yet

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

prices do not include the concrete pad

you don’t need a pad you can use premade blocks. a pass might even require an environmental review dependent one’s location

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

is there yard space for an office shed ? or something like that

Naw. In fact part of what we'd love to upgrade to is a larger yard with an outbuilding, which pre 2020 we would have been able to do without a huge cost because getting a half acre or acre lot isn't a big expense in Iowa as long as you're fine with living on the outskirts of town but lol, now those places are a minimum $500k and come with a 7% mortgage.

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Naw. In fact part of what we'd love to upgrade to is a larger yard with an outbuilding, which pre 2020 we would have been able to do without a huge cost because getting a half acre or acre lot isn't a big expense in Iowa as long as you're fine with living on the outskirts of town but lol, now those places are a minimum $500k and come with a 7% mortgage.

Didn't you hear? If you don't like what housing costs in the city, just move to a low cost of living area.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Didn't you hear? If you don't like what housing costs in the city, just move to a low cost of living area.

florida is real hot right now

Apr 7, 2003

You can always move to one of the most distressed real estate markets in America, where the median household income hovers around $30K a year and there are no jobs but at least the houses are cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

You can always move to one of the most distressed real estate markets in America, where the median household income hovers around $30K a year and there are no jobs but at least the houses are cheap