Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

A boring guilty plea will not force Biden's son to commit suicide, which is the goal of the House GOP.

They don't give a poo poo about that. They just want to keep this in the news so legit reporters on legit news sites keep mentioning "Biden" and "crimes" in the same sentence. The fact that we've got CNN and the NYT putting out minute-to-minute coverage of what was supposed to be a boring guilty plea is a win for the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What makes you think the goal of the House GOP is to force Joe Biden's son to commit suicide?

MGT's posting of Hunter's nudes on the House floor convinced me. I know I'm coming off as something of a kook here but Jesus Christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hunter killing himself would be a negative for the GOP because of a number of reasons, including making Biden more sympathetic since navigating grief is basically his forte and also it's considered gauche to call the recently deceased "crack-mad cum-drunk cocksmiths"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

MGT's posting of Hunter's nudes on the House floor convinced me. I know I'm coming off as something of a kook here but Jesus Christ.

They're for sure not going to be bothered if they did drive him to suicide, hell they probably would celebrate it. I don't think it's their primary motivation though. He's not as much use to them dead as he is alive. A political punching bag they can keep hitting over and over to spill headlines is the most useful thing to them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What makes you think the goal of the House GOP is to force Joe Biden's son to commit suicide?

I think their goal is to create negative press around Joe Biden. I don't think they're able to force Joe Biden's son to commit suicide, or that they have any particular intent to do so.

They mentioned in the article from polling that: No one who is not them gives a poo poo about this or the negative press on this. It’s malign retaliation only. It’s more basic then having a political goal, it’s hurt us we hurt you back. Now there is probably some internal point to it (to increase enthusiasm within the GOP).

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tayter Swift posted:

I mean I'm having a real hard time writing it off based purely off the way I hear supposedly reputable right wing publications or holders of political office use the guy as a one-man wedge issue. They'd fuckin love it

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

They're for sure not going to be bothered if they did drive him to suicide, hell they probably would celebrate it. I don't think it's their primary motivation though. He's not as much use to them dead as he is alive. A political punching bag they can keep hitting over and over to spill headlines is the most useful thing to them.

They don't shy away from using dead people as political bludgeons. Makes it easier to put whatever words in their mouths you want. Vince Foster & Vilerat just off the top of my head...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Hunter killing himself would be a negative for the GOP because of a number of reasons, including making Biden more sympathetic since navigating grief is basically his forte and also it's considered gauche to call the recently deceased "crack-mad cum-drunk cocksmiths"

I think the logic here is that Joe Biden would resign if something happens to Hunter or they'd want to point to him being too distraught and scream that he must resign. That would be the logic anyways.

They don't understand that people don't care.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tayter Swift posted:

I think they want to inflict as much emotional harm as possible with reckless disregard for if it led to that, but I think if it actually happened it would work against them so I don’t think it’s a specific goal.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah frankly it is a pretty kooky idea, because the Republicans materially benefit from bad press around Joe Biden and they don't materially benefit from Hunter Biden killing himself.

I don't think the Republicans wanted Hillary Clinton or Obama to kill themselves, or that the Democrats wanted Trump or Nixon to kill themselves, I think it's very normal that politicians want to disgrace each other and very strange to say it's actually about wanting each other to die by suicide.

The Republicans are trying to smear Hunter Biden because they want to smear Joe Biden because it facilitates their elections and donations. That's a straightforward easy explanation, "they must actually want Hunter kill himself" is a very very strange alternative.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They mentioned in the article from polling that: No one who is not them gives a poo poo about this or the negative press on this. It’s malign retaliation only. It’s more basic then having a political goal, it’s hurt us we hurt you back. Now there is probably some internal point to it (to increase enthusiasm within the GOP).

So there you go, there is a political goal to it. Plus the obvious one that every minute of attention given to Hunter Biden is one less minute given to Trump etc. A lovely offense is an effective defense.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 26, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the logic here is that Joe Biden would resign if something happens to Hunter or they'd want to point to him being too distraught and scream that he must resign. That would be the logic anyways.

They don't understand that people don't care.

Dude has had his whole family die like 3 separate times, I think he can handle it.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think they want to inflict as much emotional harm as possible with reckless disregard for if it led to that, but I think if it actually happened it would work against them so I don’t think it’s a specific goal.

Much like with other modern day events you have to adapt to not being able to say "well [group/nation/person] obviously wouldn't do this, because it would clearly and obviously gently caress them over" and it's 100% true with modern american conservatives. There's no underpinning rationality that makes it so you can't rule out that they wouldn't do something just because its dumb and disastrous and would never work

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Yeah frankly it is a pretty kooky idea, because the Republicans materially benefit from bad press around Joe Biden and they don't materially benefit from Hunter Biden killing himself.

I don't think the Republicans wanted Hillary Clinton or Obama to kill themselves, or that the Democrats wanted Trump or Nixon to kill themselves, I think it's very normal that politicians want to disgrace each other and very strange to say it's actually about wanting each other to die by suicide.

I get what your saying. Though "the Democrats wanted Trump or Nixon to kill themselves" because they investigated their clearly illegal poo poo vs. trying to create a political firestorm feels like two different things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They reached an agreement on a new plea deal.

It is basically the same as the old one, but it includes a limited time frame for tax charges and an explicit statement that this does not mean that no future charges could be brought against him as a result of ongoing investigations. The gun charge is back in as part of a package, so the Supreme Court case is probably not happening.

It would also make all the terms of his diversion and probation public.

quote:

The Hunter Biden plea proceedings have restarted and the president’s son has agreed to a limited agreement that covers 2014 to 2019 and only includes conduct related to tax offenses, drug use and gun possession.

President Joe Biden's son will still plead guilty to the tax misdemeanors for 2017 and 2018, but the agreement will also cover his tax-related conduct for the three years prior.

The two sides have agreed that this deal does not shield him from potential future charges.

The judge is not happy about making the terms public or the fact that it gives him immunity for anything tax-related from 2011 to 2019.

quote:

The judge is asking Hunter Biden a series of questions about the facts that are included in the charging documents.

The judge asked Biden for the names of the foreign companies where he has worked.

"The Ukrainian energy company was Burisma," Biden said. Biden has also mentioned his work for a Chinese energy company, CEFC. His ties to that company have come under intense scrutiny by House Republicans.

The judge asked Biden, "You did know that you owed tax money, right?"

Biden said, "Yes, your honor."

US District Judge Maryellen Noreika called the deal federal prosecutors reached with Hunter Biden for his gun possession offense “unusual.”

She said the deal — in which Biden would enter the diversion program to resolve the charge — contains some "non-standard terms," such as "broad immunity" from other potential charges.

"We don't usually make diversion agreements public," the judge said, referring to the move by the parties to make that aspect of their agreement public and discuss it in open court.

Josh Hawley says the judge's concerns show that they need to investigate Hunter Biden even further.

quote:

Republican Sen. Josh Hawley told CNN that the back-and-forth in court today on Hunter Biden’s plea deal shows that the deal was always flawed and that more charges could be coming down.

“It's very telling that the judge intervened here and said basically, ‘No, I'm not going to approve some sweeping blanket deal,’" the Republican from Missouri said. “I mean, that tells you the court has serious concerns about other potential charges here, and also the scope of the deal, which has seemed outrageous from the beginning.”

He added, “This, I think, signals that they're still very much as potential for prosecution forward.”

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/hunter-biden-tax-charges-hearing/index.html?tab=all

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 26, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I get what your saying. Though "the Democrats wanted Trump or Nixon to kill themselves" because they investigated their clearly illegal poo poo vs. trying to create a political firestorm feels like two different things.

In terms of the incentives at play and what the party intends to accomplish, they're the same thing. "Our opponent can be said to have acted illegally, let's exploit that as much as possible so there's more negative press coverage of them."

The fact that in some cases the behavior was actually illegal or immoral, and in some cases it wasn't - it's very naïve to think that matters to the politicians, because they aren't incentivized to penalize actually illegal or immoral behavior, only to create the impression that their opponents have acted illegally or immorally.

Trump and Nixon just made it easier for their opponents than Obama and Clinton did, but that's a matter of degree, not of kind.

Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm deeply unsettled by the suggestion that Hunter Biden could be "forced" to commit suicide by being prosecuted. Suicide is never the best response, or even an appropriate response, to troubles in your life except maybe that someone is about to violently torture you.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Their efforts to make it a scandal have largely failed to sway non-Republicans so far, true. But that doesn't mean it wasn't their goal to sway voters, nor does it mean that they have any reason to stop trying.

It's not every day that a serving president's son is convicted of crimes, after all. It's an opportunity too good to ignore, and the fact that it's failed probably has a lot to do with Joe's strength as a candidate and the GOP's blatant desperation for a scandal to pin on the Bidens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New plea deal on hold after the judge refuses to accept it.

Hunter pleads not guilty for now.

An absolutely wild rollercoaster ride for what is normally the shortest and most boring part of any court proceeding.

quote:

US District Judge Maryellen Noreika said she was not ready to accept the plea deal, and the hearing ended with Hunter Biden pleading not guilty for the time being.

The judge asked the sides to file additional briefs explaining the plea deal’s legal structuring.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/hunter-biden-tax-charges-hearing/index.html?tab=all

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

So there you go, there is a political goal to it. Plus the obvious one that every minute of attention given to Hunter Biden is one less minute given to Trump etc. A lovely offense is an effective defense.

I'll concede the point; apologies for bringing it up. I've just never seen this level of vindictiveness before, even the poo poo against HRC seemed a bit less personal than posting nudes, which was only legal because it happened on the House floor.

It reminds me of high school. I had a bully whose stated, specific goal was to get me commit suicide and it's the same vibe. (He ended up killing himself instead... cold comfort tbh)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I'll concede the point; apologies for bringing it up. I've just never seen this level of vindictiveness before, even the poo poo against HRC seemed a bit less personal than posting nudes, which was only legal because it happened on the House floor.

It reminds me of high school. I had a bully whose stated, specific goal was to get me commit suicide and it's the same vibe. (He ended up killing himself instead... cold comfort tbh)

Well the modern day chud is a bloodthirsty monster. To them it would be a victory to cause a rich failson to kill himself to hurt a president they hate. Nevermind that he has already lost another son not that long ago.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the judge needs more details on the legal structure? i'm not a lawyer, but nothing about the original plea agreement struck me as some kind of esoteric house of cards. how is it different from the deals that make up like 90% of the courts business?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1684262402664038405

quote:

Flag: McConnell just stopped abruptly during his opening statement during the gop leadership presser and appeared to be unable to restart talking. He then stepped away and walked away with Barrasso:

Something might be happening with McConnell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That’s a right sided TIA. Look at him lurch left. could also cause abrupt aphasia

He comes back out and uh doesn’t look great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The tweet right after that one it seems like he returned and finished speaking and is saying he's fine so yeah something abrupt and fast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fed meeting and new economic data out.

- Fed raises rates again to 5.5%.

- Real median wages in June were higher than they were pre-pandemic for the first time since March 2020. This is due to several months of wages finally outpacing inflation.

- The Fed is mixed on this because inflation is still higher than they want and they are worried that rapidly rising real incomes could make it harder to get inflation down if higher real wages lead to higher demand for goods.

The Fed is particularly concerned about the fact that even as overall inflation has fallen there are sectors in the service economy where inflation has not fallen since 2021 due to high demand and low supply.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1684263989914501135
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1684255193234276355

quote:

The Federal Reserve announced Wednesday it had raised its key interest rate by 0.25% to as much as 5.5%, the highest level in 22 years, as it continues to fight persistent inflation in the U.S. economy.

Though consumer prices have declined for 12 straight months, in June, consumer prices increased 3% year on year. Even though that's the lowest the annual inflation rate has been in more than two years, it's still too high for the Federal Reserve, which is looking to wrestle increases down to about 2%.

By raising its interest rates, the Federal Reserve hopes to make borrowing and investing more expensive, thereby reducing overall demand for goods, services and labor in the economy.

"Inflation remains stubbornly high," said Greg McBride, senior vice president and chief financial analyst for Bankrate. "The economy has been remarkably resilient, the labor market is still robust, but that may be contributing to the stubbornly high inflation," he said. "So, Fed has to pump the brakes a bit more."

The Federal Reserve is in charge of balancing unemployment and inflation. Right now, the unemployment rate, at 3.6%, remains historically low.

The Fed believes it can slow the economy to reduce inflation without causing people to lose their jobs en masse.

Rather than put workers directly out of a job, McBride said, the Fed is instead looking to reduce the overall number of job openings relative to unemployed workers. Before the pandemic, there was about one unemployed person per job opening; today there is less than one.

"The labor market is still out of whack," he said. "That can contribute to inflationary pressures."

While the overall inflation rate has come down, there are key categories of consumer-focused services that have not. In particular, one measure of what has come to be known as "supercore" inflation, which excludes the price of food, gas and shelter, has been stuck at a 4% annual rate of increase since the first quarter of 2021, according to calculations from the Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco.

This measure includes items such as professional and personal care services, among the items on which Americans continue to spend heavily.

The spending, in turn, is creating more demand for workers and subsequently increasing pay.

“The place where we haven’t really seen much progress is in nonhousing services,” Fed Chair Jerome Powell said this month at a European Central Bank event in Portugal, according to Bloomberg News. “That’s where we’re not seeing a lot of progress yet, and the reason is — one explanation for it is — that labor costs are really the biggest factor by far in most parts of that sector.”

Of course, higher pay is good for workers — and for the first time in the post-pandemic period, data showed inflation-adjusted wages outpacing inflation.

But a rapidly rising pace of wage increases concerns the Fed because it is linked to higher inflation. Businesses will raise prices if they believe their customers have more money to spend.

In a note to clients earlier this month, analysts for the Barclays financial group called this a "self-reinforcing loop between employment, income and spending."

They wrote that they expect the Fed "to remain focused on slowing the job market to pave the way for a sustained return to the 2% inflation target."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Neo Rasa posted:

The tweet right after that one it seems like he returned and finished speaking and is saying he's fine so yeah something abrupt and fast.

For some reason it won't let me link it, but the only followup video I found had him return with a very unsteady gait, and he didn't finish speaking - someone else was at the lectern. He stood in the back.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They should stop raising rates imo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the judge needs more details on the legal structure? i'm not a lawyer, but nothing about the original plea agreement struck me as some kind of esoteric house of cards. how is it different from the deals that make up like 90% of the courts business?

She initially did not like the fact that the deal basically closed the case on his finances by giving him immunity to anything related to his finances from 2011 to 2019 while there is still technically an "active investigation" into that period going on by the District Attorney and the House Oversight Committee.

They changed that slightly with the new agreement and I believe she wants to know the scope of the immunity. She is also upset that there are some irregular things that they don't usually do (like release the terms of diversion for defendants publicly). She didn't specify what sort of scope she believes in appropriate with the latest move, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

brugroffil posted:

They should stop raising rates imo

Probably. They said they might raise it one more time this year.

Rates are always a trailing indicator and the Fed kept rates really low for a long time and now they are overcorrecting a little bit after getting hammered for keeping rates low while inflation was rising. They just have a hammer and want to hit the inflation nail regardless of anything else in the way.

It looks like the vast majority of inflation was related to supply issues and has been dissipating. Beating down demand is one way to brute force inflation down, but hopefully they back off and inflation continues to fall at current rates.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Fundamentally a lot of inflation is due to supply side issues (and price gouging by companies). Monetary policy can only do so much for supply since there's a big delay, so the only tool the Fed has is to try to slow down demand.

The other basic prescription would be to raise taxes which would be a political no no.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

what about pouring money into increasing production to meet demand???

no, the workers must suffer!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Morrow posted:

Fundamentally a lot of inflation is due to supply side issues (and price gouging by companies). Monetary policy can only do so much for supply since there's a big delay, so the only tool the Fed has is to try to slow down demand.

The other basic prescription would be to raise taxes which would be a political no no.

Other than publicly calling them out, is there anything that Congress or Biden can do about price gouging? A ton of various letters to shareholders and CEO statements over the past year have attributed their profit growth to their ability to force higher prices on consumers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sinead O’Connor has been found dead at 56.

Seems to be suicide.

No specific information being released by the family or police.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1684259951730884631

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1684274873781088256

If it had been TIA they would've rushed him to the hospital, not sent him back out there to possibly die at the podium. Oh well maybe next time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
since the s word, supply chain wasmentioned, is the supply chain in a better place, is it more resilient?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1684274873781088256

If it had been TIA they would've rushed him to the hospital, not sent him back out there to possibly die at the podium. Oh well maybe next time.

People can and often do refuse medical treatment, even life-saving medical treatment, for dumb vain reasons, like not wanting to appear weak during a public speaking event.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Morrow posted:

Yes and especially when a lot of factors are out of the Fed’s hands (international war and international supply chain issues).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
He just had to poop. If it can happen to Lamar Jackson it can happen to anyone.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sinead O’Connor has been found dead at 56.

Seems to be suicide.

No specific information being released by the family or police.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1684259951730884631

:smith: Lovely voice. Brave as gently caress standing up to the catholic church over pedos 30 years ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Other than publicly calling them out, is there anything that Congress or Biden can do about price gouging? A ton of various letters to shareholders and CEO statements over the past year have attributed their profit growth to their ability to force higher prices on consumers.

PhazonLink posted:

since the s word, supply chain wasmentioned, is the supply chain in a better place, is it more resilient?

Congress could do quite a few things. Biden on his own could do a couple things.

Both of them would take a while and require international cooperation/spending because the global supply chain still has kinks in it in different places throughout the world. And supply chains for pork and soybeans are different than those for palladium, so there isn't one single supply chain or location you can target to fix the supply chain.

The U.S. has put a ton of money into microchip and domestic shipping supply chains this year from bills passed in 2021 and those seem to have helped. The executive branch has also changed a bunch of rules around ports and how they operate to speed up loading and unloading.

There's also the issue where there are mixed good and bad outcomes to certain sectors caused by the low unemployment rate. It means that service jobs are paying more and more to try and attract people because you can't outsource those jobs, but that also increases prices, and if the work is bad, then people will skip it for something easier that pays similarly. It's why retail stores, long-haul trucking companies, and pharmacies have had a really hard time getting staffed. Those are jobs that you can't farm out, but they suck, and you have to raise wages very high to attract people to do them. A shortage of staff and rising prices also makes the experience suck more for the consumer.

Those issues, the war in Ukraine, and issues with China are basically completely out of their control and fairly big drivers of inflation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone found a reason to flip the tortoise over