Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joe Fisto posted:

I've assumed that the point of her character is to be someone who didn't lose their touch by being turned to dust, someone to show how much Fury lost in the spy game while he was gone.

Right, so the person who they're setting up as a sort of Anti-Fury with their own Dark Avengers seems like a better fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Opopanax posted:

Right, so the person who they're setting up as a sort of Anti-Fury with their own Dark Avengers seems like a better fit.

I don’t remember did she get blipped?

There must be some conflict between her role in Thunderbolts and SI. That or there just wanted Coleman in the show.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Opopanax posted:

Is Coleman's character from the comics, or something? Her scenes kind of feel like the biggest "what's the point of this" scenes, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use Val or something to tie things in more.
Who the gently caress knows. But I like her character, she's not a gibbering moron and Coleman playing her as "Umbridge, but not a moron and the saccharine sweetness is an intentional put-on" is fun.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
We know Val is bad but Olivia Colman could still go either way, and they seem to be leaning towards good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Secret Invasion set up some pretty serious stakes in its final episode and pretty much wrapped most of it up by the end.

I don't know, this show was fine. It was nice to explore Fury more as a character. But I kind of feel like I could've watched the first episode and the last episode and not have missed much.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It definitely seems like it would have been a better movie. Set up a few Skrull things in some after credit scenes for a bit and then trim this down into 2hrs.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Secret Invasion finale sucked; if this show isn't the worst thing Marvel Studios has put out to date, it's at least one of the top contenders. Whatever Feige et al. are doing to course-correct after recent missteps can't happen soon enough.

Fury's big plan turns out to be to let both a good Skrull and an evil Skrull get the powers of every known superhuman and alien in existence, and then to cross his fingers and hope the good Skrull wins in the ensuing fight. The show ends with the remaining Skrulls on Earth being significantly worse off than they were at the beginning of the series, and despite this, Fury fucks off back into space anyway so he can appear in The Marvels, where I assume none of this will get more than a line or two of acknowledgement, if that... even though Fury came back to Earth in the first place because he (quite reasonably) saw Skrulls as his mess to clean up!

"Skrull infiltration revealed to the world, paranoia ensues, various factions try to take advantage of the ensuing chaos" should have been the show's status quo by the halfway mark, not an ending where we have no idea where and to what extent it'll be followed up on

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 26, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At the last minute out of loving nowhere they introduced Kree-Skrull peace to give Fury a get-out-of-jail card for doing jack poo poo to help the Skrulls

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm half-expecting that one of the first things the Kree villain in The Marvels does will be to attack and disrupt the peace talks with the Skrulls, which would make that ending even worse

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Very unintentionally funny that probably now the most powerful person in the universe is going to be doing... something... with mi6 and never appear again in the MCU. that's just how her story ends

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
So if the President declared everyone not born on the planet to be an enemy combatant, does that mean he effectively just declared war on New Asgard?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

PantsOptional posted:

So if the President declared everyone not born on the planet to be an enemy combatant, does that mean he effectively just declared war on New Asgard?

The American president would never do something stupid and drastic out of fear and bigotry.

He also won’t be the president for long, he’ll have to make room for Harrison Ford

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

Very unintentionally funny that probably now the most powerful person in the universe is going to be doing... something... with mi6 and never appear again in the MCU. that's just how her story ends

one of the bigger problems (though probably not the biggest) with the post-Endgame MCU has been the frequency with which they've introduced new characters, and to a lesser extent subplots, and then - in not all but very many cases - not given any indication where those things might be followed up on. It's greatly contributed to the sense that they don't have a real plan and are just throwing poo poo at a vaguely Multiverse Saga-shaped wall and seeing what sticks.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

one of the bigger problems (though probably not the biggest) with the post-Endgame MCU has been the frequency with which they've introduced new characters, and to a lesser extent subplots, and then - in not all but very many cases - not given any indication where those things might be followed up on. It's greatly contributed to the sense that they don't have a real plan and are just throwing poo poo at a vaguely Multiverse Saga-shaped wall and seeing what sticks.

Its especially weird like if you're a minor character, you'll show up everywhere. Wong and that dude from Black Widow? Yeah we need to bring them back, maybe even multiple times. Shang Chi? Who the gently caress knows when we'll see him again, if ever.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barry Convex posted:

thinking of how they've been very gradually introducing a Young Avengers roster over the past several years but still have yet to actually announce a YA project

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PantsOptional posted:

President Valkyrie wins the title in one on one combat

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Its especially weird like if you're a minor character, you'll show up everywhere. Wong and that dude from Black Widow? Yeah we need to bring them back, maybe even multiple times. Shang Chi? Who the gently caress knows when we'll see him again, if ever.

Simiu probably would be down too. He even recently went on the Bachelorette to promote Barbie. Thereby ending the franchises 20+ year streak of pretending Asian men don't exist.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Barry Convex posted:

I think some of that is because of all the release schedule reshuffling they never were quite sure what the next thing coming out was goin to be, so instead of teeing up that they instead keep teasing stuff for the individual film franchises. it's safe to say that was a probably a mistake and the approach should've been simply to not tease anything. More Pizza Poppa and less Clea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I realized at the end of the episode is if the Skrull base was so radioactive that "Fury" was going to die after being there for a couple of minutes how were all the people locked up in the basement still alive?

Also, yeah, the ending was super bizarre. About the only thing that actually happened was Gravik (a character we've never seen before) and Talos dying.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Something I realized at the end of the episode is if the Skrull base was so radioactive that "Fury" was going to die after being there for a couple of minutes how were all the people locked up in the basement still alive?

Unstable molocules

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Your No Prize answer is wherever the pods were was shielded.

In the finale's defense I did like the Super Skrull fight, but on the whole it was a weirdly paced episode that ran through a ton of really interesting plot that the show should've been about.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Who in the MCU has Ice powers? I could place most of the other abilities but not that one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Klungar posted:

Who in the MCU has Ice powers? I could place most of the other abilities but not that one.

IIRC it was a monster from Thor 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Klungar posted:

Frost Beast DNA was part of the Super-Skrull mix earlier in the season, I assume it came from there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

Your No Prize answer is wherever the pods were was shielded.

In the finale's defense I did like the Super Skrull fight, but on the whole it was a weirdly paced episode that ran through a ton of really interesting plot that the show should've been about.

Yea I'm glad it was pretty short. Didn't drag on beyond what was needed.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Also, yeah, the ending was super bizarre. About the only thing that actually happened was Gravik (a character we've never seen before) and Talos dying.

Maria Hill died too

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Missed comedy option for a credits stinger: Rhodey was taken sometime in the late 90s and doesn't know what the gently caress anyone is talking about at all

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
RIP Secret Invasion, for one hour you weren't completely idiotic, shame about the other five. I guess if Coleman wants to get a name she can show up with Gaia the Super Skrull or whatever again but otherwise I look forward to you never being referenced going forward and hopefully we can all put this behind us and start pretending it didn't happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

RIP Secret Invasion, for one hour you weren't completely idiotic, shame about the other five. I guess if Coleman wants to get a name she can show up with Gaia the Super Skrull or whatever again but otherwise I look forward to you never being referenced going forward and hopefully we can all put this behind us and start pretending it didn't happen.

You know Olivia Coleman has a loving Oscar, right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

You know Olivia Coleman has a loving Oscar, right?
Yes, and? I mean her character. What's her character's frigging name.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

CapnAndy posted:

Sonya or Sonia or something?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

CapnAndy posted:

Sonya Failsworth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CapnAndy posted:

Personally I think she was the best part of the mini series. MCU needs more true badasses

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ThatJakePC/status/1684331157993795584?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

That would imply it was saying something. It was just a sort of mish-mash of convenient plot devices and very obvious lazy writing.

It's disappointing because the performances in the show were actually great. Olivia Colman, Sam Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Kingsley Ben-Adir, and Don Cheadle all killed it. There were some really interesting and cool ideas in the show as well. But, the execution of everything - especially the writing and show-running/directing - was incredibly bad.

The very last episode would have actually been a great concept for episode 2 of the series and have the rest of the show dealing with the fallout. The Super-Super Skrull fight was a cool idea, the idea of recreating the Fantastic 4 Super Skrull powers with dead MCU characters is a very cool twist, and the concept of a spy movie where you never know who you can trust that reveals long-time characters weren't what you thought and recontextualizes the story is a cool idea.

All interesting ideas paired with great performances that were utterly failed by the terrible execution, lazy writing, and jumbled pacing and story structure.

The series has turned me against the writers' strike because whoever they hired to write it was paid far too much.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 27, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The secret invasion into all these high power positions did nothing with the opportunity until the week Fury showed back up, and he cleaned it all up immediately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The secret invasion into all these high power positions did nothing with the opportunity until the week Fury showed back up, and he cleaned it all up immediately.

Nothing stopping the remaining Skrulls from doing it again though, and they've got plenty of motivation with the most powerful person on the planet starting a genocide against them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nothing stopping the remaining Skrulls from doing it again though, and they've got plenty of motivation with the most powerful person on the planet starting a genocide against them.

People are looking for them now and watching out for abductions.

Earth will just implement new Assassin's Creed-style rules for being a world leader where you have to get your pinky finger cut off on inauguration day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He loses the next election, surely that fixes everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FoneBone posted:

thinking of how they've been very gradually introducing a Young Avengers roster over the past several years but still have yet to actually announce a YA project

Young Avengers? Steinfeld, Newton, and Pugh are all already only 2-3 years younger than Hemsworth was in his first one