Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

FrumpleOrz posted:

How does it keep getting dumber?

When you talk All kinds of poo poo, but can't actually do poo poo you end up in a situation where your only choice is doubling down on the stupidity, or admitting that you are indeed no better than the average man on the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I must admit, I find myself at a loss for words regarding the whole X situation. Last night I was cracking myself up. That might've been from mixing anger amplifier with anger neutralizer. I thought about posting but rejected the idea. Now I'm uncreative unfunny and ready to post. Feeling a real kinship with Elon on at this moment.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

kw0134 posted:

I believe the vaccine denialism we're seeing from RFK Jr. et al. is pretty specific to rich Western nations. Vaccine uptake in general too is still high, its the noisy rightwing nutbars that color our perception of actual usage. If there is an efficacious malarial vaccine, resistance to taking it will be guided by local cultural matters that won't resemble the current nonsense from the GOP and such.

Yeah, about that:

quote:

In an AfroBarometer survey of five West African countries from March 2021, 60 per cent of respondents said they were unlikely to try to get vaccinated [9].
Through our monitoring and research, one finding stood out: Foreign narratives and conspiracy theories — initially developed and popularized in North America — are taking hold in West Africa, further eroding trust in institutions in the region. Sources operating outside West Africa have been driving these narratives.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Agreed. The point about vaccines in Africa and other places would have been a fair point years ago, but they've got the social media poisoning there too now.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 26, 2023

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I must admit, I find myself at a loss for words regarding the whole X situation. Last night I was cracking myself up. That might've been from mixing anger amplifier with anger neutralizer. I thought about posting but rejected the idea. Now I'm uncreative unfunny and ready to post. Feeling a real kinship with Elon on at this moment.

Deeply Concerning

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

DeeplyConcerned posted:

We embue the spirit of Elon by posting through it , every loving day, the dumbest poo poo that comes into our brains.

Eat, Pray, Love
->
Excrement, Post, Lawsuit

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Further Reading posted:

Worst case for him he just shutters twitter and goes on with his life as a billionaire with less billions than before. He'll be personally embarrassed and might feel a little sad that this is now his legacy, but he's still wealthy, comfortable and powerful.

If we look at just how he impacted Twitter as a company - Twitter had 8000 employees before Musk, and down to 1000 now. Sure many of them probably got new jobs pretty quick, but it was still a pretty lovely thing to go through. For the 1000 left many of them stayed because they have no other option - should twitter shut down tomorrow there will be lives ruined.

There are people who will suffer from the consequences of Elon's failure to run twitter competently, but of those people Elon himself will get off relatively light.

The thing is that his status as 'the richest man in the world' is all due to the absurdly overinflated price of Tesla stock. A very public failure due entirely to his stupidity may put a dent in that somewhat, and more importantly there's the fact that it's valuation is based on electric cars being the future and Tesla being at the forefront of electric car manufacture. The oncoming problem being that we're arriving in that future now and Tesla still is not manufacturing cars in the volume that would justify that valuation, not to mention all other car manufacturers (who are actually competent at putting together cars) have been going all-in on electric too. Tesla's market share of the electric car market is sizable but of the overall market is small and once all cars are electric, there's no way they maintain that same outsized position.

Of course, he'll never be poor or ever want for anything material. But maybe the public embarrassment could trigger him to finish his Lowtax speedrun if we're lucky.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
If Elon was capable of being crushed by public embarrassment and cringe, he would have stopped posting a long rear end time ago. Alas, he still thinks he’s god’s gift to humor and companies alike, and will probably take it to his grave. I don’t see anything shaking his delusional self confidence.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I live in hope

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

What is amusing to me is that unlike changing the Twitter logo to the Dogecoin one, or pulling numbers out of a tombola and saying "this is your new rate limit", or any number of boneheaded ideas that he walked back, or could still do now, he can't walk back this X poo poo.

It would be absolutely crushing to him to give in on it, especially given he's been trying to make this stick since the PayPal days. It's forevermore going to be X - even though it's a dumb meaningless brand name, and none of the verbs that had established themselves - like "tweet", "tweeting", "retweet", etc - even work using the singular letter. "Yeah I X'd about that earlier", "Give that guy a ReX".

So utterly dumb and Eløn is locked in to it. :lol:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Durzel posted:

What is amusing to me is that unlike changing the Twitter logo to the Dogecoin logo, or pulling numbers out of a tombola and saying "this is your new rate limit", he can't walk back this X poo poo. It would be absolutely crushing to him at this point, especially given he's been trying to make this stick since the PayPal days. It's forevermore going to be X - even though it's a dumb meaningless brand name, and none of the verbs that had established themselves - like "tweet", "tweeting", "retweet", etc - even work using the singular letter. "Yeah I X'd about that earlier", "Give that guy a ReX".

So utterly dumb and Eløn is locked in to it. :lol:

Ask Sam Neill about how it feels for someone to give you a ReX.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

these guys loving suck

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Hey gang! So what did he Musk up today? I figure it's been a few hours since I checked so he's probably done at least two ridiculously stupid things already

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It really sucks rear end that fentanyl took both Prince and Tom Petty while this piece of poo poo continues to do his dumb poo poo and ruin lives.

What I'm saying is step it the gently caress up, fentanyl. you owe us.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

kazil posted:

these guys loving suck

Am I reading this right and Andrew Tate is too loving stupid even for Elon?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Steadiman posted:

Hey gang! So what did he Musk up today? I figure it's been a few hours since I checked so he's probably done at least two ridiculously stupid things already

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoni...sh=75eba75d3aa8

He deleted the Community Notes fact checking one of his antivax tweets

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hey news orgs, stop posting poo poo on twitter. just leave, you idiots.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hazo posted:

no way. he’s being a sad sack on account of his lack of action again

e: also he misses grimez

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 26, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

is there anything to suggest Musk himself deleted the note? I would think it's far more likely that his weird fans downvoted it until it disappeared but I would absolutely not put it past Musk to do it

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The study didn't say you NEEDED $500k to be happy, it said you will continue to increase your happiness levels by increasing your income UNTIL you get to $500k, at which point it no longer makes a difference.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but a lack of it causes unhappiness. It's a pretty significant distinction

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazo posted:

That appears to be what the tweet is saying, yes. Though of course the options for interpretation also mean that Elon would prefer to sleep with only one woman who loves him and who he lives (but can't), or sleep with an endless sting of women who all love him and whom he also loves back (but can't). But yeah the general thrust of it is Elon thinks Andrew Tate is a sad weirdo sexcreep... who he's also paying tens of thousands of dollars a month to in Twitter ad revenue.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the true path to masculinity in this fallen age is to steadily accrue ex-wives and disown one's children

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

can someone please let Elon know if Sinead O'Connor was vaccinated

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

nine-gear crow posted:

That appears to be what the tweet is saying, yes. Though of course the options for interpretation also mean that Elon would prefer to sleep with only one woman who loves him and who he lives (but can't), or sleep with an endless sting of women who all love him and whom he also loves back (but can't). But yeah the general thrust of it is Elon thinks Andrew Tate is a sad weirdo sexcreep... who he's also paying tens of thousands of dollars a month to in Twitter ad revenue.

We have one of those unique situations where Mupsk is actually right but also simultaneously a massive wiener.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

It should also be noted that many black people are sceptical to any and all new medicine because they've been used as guinea pigs in a lot of horrific poo poo the past 100 years - the U.S. military tested mustard gas on black soldiers, and the Tuskegee Syhilis Study from 1932-1978 infected black men with syphilis to see what the long term effects where despite it being a treatable disease.

Out of 400 - 28 patients had died directly from syphilis, 100 died from complications related to syphilis, 40 of the patients' wives were infected with syphilis, and 19 children were born with congenital syphilis by the end of the study

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

There's currently a certain issue with it (out of a huge list of other known issues) as they can't clean the windshield because it's too big. So right now, the production plan is a standard car wiper at the end of which is clipped on another standard car wiper, making what Elon fans are calling a "mega wiper." Here it is in action:

It's been delayed because they had to figure out a bunch of stuff like this.

Feels like Tesla engineers are loving with him to delay releasing the Cybertruck.

https://www.spannerhead.com/2012/11/28/technical-curiosities-mercedes-monoblade-wiper/

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Hazo posted:

Didn't stop Elon from sending Tate like $20K to help his pyramid scheme.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Shazback posted:

Feels like Tesla engineers are loving with him to delay releasing the Cybertruck.

https://www.spannerhead.com/2012/11/28/technical-curiosities-mercedes-monoblade-wiper/

Well, I suspect that the problem lies more in that the window is so loving long. It'd be tough to apply even pressure along a flexible blade that long. Average wipers are 16-28 inches long, that one looks like it needs 48".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

kazil posted:

these guys loving suck
Nice weepy humblebrag, Musk.

Edit: surprised he didn't propose a quad-wiper system with a blade in each corner, that when moving form some kind of distinctive crooked-cross pattern.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 26, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

kazil posted:

these guys loving suck

Oh no I have endless money and could just live on an island forever and gently caress all day and do whatever I wanted

woe is meeeeeeee

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Infinitum posted:

Oh no I have endless money and could just live on an island forever and gently caress all day and do whatever I wanted

woe is meeeeeeee

OMG he's so relateable just like me, frfr. Time to simp Elon.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Teratrain posted:

We have one of those unique situations where Mupsk is actually right but also simultaneously a massive wiener.

:lol: Yeah that was pretty much my take too. gently caress elon, I wonder how many people/employees/customers/slaves his family has directly or indirectly killed, and I hope he's relatively miserable as he continues failing upwards.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crackbone posted:

This whole everything-app idea is so loving antiquated. It's an OCD amphetamine dream. People moved to online apps because the effort to meatspace banking vs. app banking was immense. The effort to switch apps is so ridiculously low there's no selling point there. It's the mayostard strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw

EVEN if that's an attractive option, who in their right mind would tie their life to a single app owned by a private company whose owner who will gently caress with his users when he's annoyed by them?

So far the only example I know of that had really succeeded is WeChat in China but thats also a planned economy state so...

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Anders posted:

It should also be noted that many black people are sceptical to any and all new medicine because they've been used as guinea pigs in a lot of horrific poo poo the past 100 years - the U.S. military tested mustard gas on black soldiers, and the Tuskegee Syhilis Study from 1932-1978 infected black men with syphilis to see what the long term effects where despite it being a treatable disease.

Out of 400 - 28 patients had died directly from syphilis, 100 died from complications related to syphilis, 40 of the patients' wives were infected with syphilis, and 19 children were born with congenital syphilis by the end of the study

Henrietta Lacks cells are STILL being used today.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

kazil posted:

these guys loving suck

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
edit dp

temple fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 26, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kazil posted:

these guys loving suck

Has he ever commented on fluoridation? This is literally beyond satire. If I wasn't confident that he's never heard of Dr. Strangelove, I would be tempted to believe Tate is earnestly basing his personality on Brigadier General Jack. D. Ripper at this point.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 26, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

It's actually gay to get pussy, according to a study that I've done

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
So cool seeing the world's richest man and CEO of 3 or 4 or whatever companies publicly conversing with a known sex trafficker and all-around piece of poo poo.

And what the hell, isn't that motherfucker locked up in a Romanian prison? How is he still on Twitter lol sorry I mean X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

House arrest sadly