Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ranma 1/2, ch. 164

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man & Wolverine #2 (2003)

Is he really even the best at that? Punisher and Deadpool both have miniseries where they kill the Marvel Universe, Logan doesn't. Assuming I could make a moral argument that a certain person needed to die and they would agree with me, Logan isn't even the first person codenamed Wolverine I would call if I needed someone dead.

Wolverine the killer is a weird theme he's been stuck with, because all of his best moments are him as a protector or rescuer.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Probably more what he considers his best skill rather than what he's better than anyone else at.

I would not believe a characterization of standard Wolverine where he believes he's better at rescuing or protecting than killing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skills:
1) snikting
2) bubing
3) ???
4) murder

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

Probably more what he considers his best skill rather than what he's better than anyone else at.

I would not believe a characterization of standard Wolverine where he believes he's better at rescuing or protecting than killing.

Except he keeps getting teenage girl sidekicks, and all of them are still alive.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Air Skwirl posted:

Except he keeps getting teenage girl sidekicks, and all of them are still alive.

That's a better track record than Bruce.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It's also a better track record than Spider-Man, HEYO

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
what he does best is boost comic sales with guest appearances in other titles

and it ain't pretty

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: I want a "Barberman" comic book. The dude who cuts Wolverine's and Beast's hair. Must have stories to tell.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: I want a "Barberman" comic book. The dude who cuts Wolverine's and Beast's hair. Must have stories to tell.

It's the one barber who does the hair for every marvel superhero and villain

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

It's the one barber who does the hair for every marvel superhero and villain

He's one of those old school barbers who does like three styles.

The Logan, the Osbourne and the Xavier.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Osborns fly to Duckburg to get their cut.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Redeye Flight posted:

It's also a better track record than Spider-Man, HEYO

:colbert: Gwen was not a sidekick. Nor was she a side piece.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Air Skwirl posted:

Is he really even the best at that? Punisher and Deadpool both have miniseries where they kill the Marvel Universe, Logan doesn't. Assuming I could make a moral argument that a certain person needed to die and they would agree with me, Logan isn't even the first person codenamed Wolverine I would call if I needed someone dead.

iirc Logan killed pretty much everyone in the backstory for Old Man Logan.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Skills:
1) snikting
2) bubing
3) ???
4) murder

Surely number 3 is drinking?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
IIRC, Logan killed most or all of the X-Men under telepathic influence, retired, and the various super villains then banded together and killed the majority of the super heroes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Surely number 3 is drinking?

[Citation needed.]

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was a what if called something like "What if Logan never escaped from The Hand" where he apparently was capable of killing basically every hero on Earth. Pretty much everyone but Kitty Pride dies and she stops Logan by unphasing when her arm is through his head so it gets stuck in his brain. So there's at least one which is "Wolverine, if unchecked, will gently caress up everyone"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much everyone but Kitty Pride dies and she stops Logan by unphasing when her arm is through his head so it gets stuck in his brain.

... Can Kate Pryde kill everyone?

Adventures of Superman #582

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Love when my quiff flows perfectly :wink:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Love when my quiff flows perfectly :wink:

Jeepers, that's swelled!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uthor posted:

... Can Kate Pryde kill everyone?

Adventures of Superman #582

In this particular case 'unphasing her arm through her head' meant she had to lose the arm so unless she gets the ability to regrow arms probably not.

That said if Kitty Pride went on a murder spree it would be *extremely loving hard* to stop her.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Couldn't you just psychic her down? Couldn't you psychic all of the Marvel Universe killers down? I mean Chuck drops almost every ball he's ever had but somebody surely...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Couldn't you just psychic her down? Couldn't you psychic all of the Marvel Universe killers down? I mean Chuck drops almost every ball he's ever had but somebody surely...

Anti-psychic gear comes in every box of corn flakes in the Marvel universe

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Her brainwaves are out of phase too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kate pryde wouldn't even need to use her arm because she could just phase objects she's holding into people. but she's been around for a long time and there are a lot of ways to get around her phasing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
edit: ^^ same thought

ImpAtom posted:

In this particular case 'unphasing her arm through her head' meant she had to lose the arm so unless she gets the ability to regrow arms probably not.

That said if Kitty Pride went on a murder spree it would be *extremely loving hard* to stop her.

I've seen Kitty phase other people by holding their hand, but can she phase inanimate objects? Just keep a quiver of lengths of rebar, bam.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

davidspackage posted:

I've seen Kitty phase other people by holding their hand, but can she phase inanimate objects? Just keep a quiver of lengths of rebar, bam.

Kate phased out an entire world-killing bullet the size of Texas.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Toshimo posted:

Kate phased out an entire world-killing bullet the size of Texas.

I hope that bullet got fired from a massive colt mounted on the moon.

Or Ego holding the gun!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean stopping Kitty is the usual stuff.

Magic, Magik dropping her in Limbo, getting her offworld however you want, psychics, Hulk, Leech & every other oh no mutant powers don't work doohicky.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have been a lot of doohickeys that specifically disable her powers in various ways. objects she can't phase through, attacks that hit her while phased, etc. she's had far too long a publication history to have been completely invulnerable throughout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Much like every other comic character, her powers are exactly as strong as the particular writer writing the story wants them to be.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

There was a what if called something like "What if Logan never escaped from The Hand" where he apparently was capable of killing basically every hero on Earth. Pretty much everyone but Kitty Pride dies and she stops Logan by unphasing when her arm is through his head so it gets stuck in his brain. So there's at least one which is "Wolverine, if unchecked, will gently caress up everyone"

That one's a little less bullshit than most of the "kills the Marvel Universe" miniseries, because it's Wolverine plus Hand conditioning plus a ton of logistic and technological support from HYDRA. He can teleport in that one.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spider-Man & Wolverine #2 (2003)

Fantastic Four #131 (1973)

The World of Metropolis #1 (1988)

The Fury of Firestorm, The Nuclear Man #36 (1985)

The Incredible Hulk #119 (1969)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darthemed posted:

The World of Metropolis #1 (1988)

What’s the joke here

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the joke here

I think the non-sense dialogue is supposed to indicate he's whispering something to her, but her concerned expression makes it seem like he just leaned in and babbled unintelligibly at her. The abrupt laughing afterwords doesn't help that impression. I assume it makes more sense in context.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

glitchwraith posted:

I think the non-sense dialogue is supposed to indicate he's whispering something to her, but her concerned expression makes it seem like he just leaned in and babbled unintelligibly at her. The abrupt laughing afterwords doesn't help that impression. I assume it makes more sense in context.

"Let's name our kid AE X 12."

Like you said, unintelligible babble.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Notice you can't see his other hand....

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Darthemed posted:

Fantastic Four #131 (1973)

https://thechinaproject.com/2023/07/21/appeared-out-of-nowhere-phrase-of-the-week/ posted:

"Appeared out of nowhere" is a four-character idiom. The characters individually mean “across” (横 héng), “sky” (空 kōng), “above” (出 chū), and “world” (世 shì).

The phrase was first coined by Máo Zédōng 毛泽东 in the 1935 poem Thinking of the Kunlun Mountains (念奴娇·昆仑 niànnújiāo·kūnlún).

It’s in the first line of the poem:

"Across the sky stand the majestic Kunlun Mountains, surveying the unfolding stories of the world.

横空出世,莽昆仑,阅尽人间春色。

Héngkōng chūshì, mǎng kūnlún, yuèjìn rénjiān chūnsè."

Mao is describing how the huge mountain range appears to be floating above the world below.

In modern context, the idiom often describes a product or a phenomenon that has come out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this week's wolverine 35. Beast cloned himself a bunch and expects them to laugh at his jokes.

All those expressions. :allears: