Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Uconn showed signs of not being a horrific crime the past couple years right? Might be a few games worth watching.

Seconding Harvard/Yale having potential of only because it's a rivalry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1683524792769552395

lol football coaches are such freaks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Uconn showed signs of not being a horrific crime the past couple years right? Might be a few games worth watching.

Seconding Harvard/Yale having potential of only because it's a rivalry

Jim Mora Jr. of all people got them bowling.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The big Rivalries are:

Harvard @ Yale - Nov 18th.
URI @ Brown - Oct 7th
Norwich @ CGA - Oct 21st
Merchant Marines @ GCA - Nov 11th
UMass @ UConn - Nov 25th

For BC, I wouldn't mind seeing VT, Virginia, FSU, or Miami, though the Miami game being on black Friday makes it less likely

I don't see anyone on UMass's schedule that would be worth driving to see them play. I have some history with UNM, but not enough.

Brown hosts Yale on Nov 4th.

NC State @ UConn on Aug 31st is a game of opportunity (eg if the opportunity arises, I could do that one). Also depends on the weather. I've gotten spoiled and August in Connecticut is the only month that sucks for temps.

And yeah, CGA hosting MIT could be good for a laugh.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Does Coast Guard have any interesting/fun/weird academy traditions? At the lower levels, I'd think taking in the game day atmosphere and watching the crowd Is just as much fun as bad football.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"I played football for Merchant Marine" sounds like something someone made up

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I cannot wait for Texas to start getting destroyed in the SEC

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

There was a TCU Hypnotoads reference in the new Futurama reboot, we're pretty much a blue blood now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1683675484981452801

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pseudodragon posted:

Does Coast Guard have any interesting/fun/weird academy traditions? At the lower levels, I'd think taking in the game day atmosphere and watching the crowd Is just as much fun as bad football.

no clue. i found out they played football today. i guess, i'll have to go see and report back

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don’t sleep on Holy Cross. They’re an OK FCS program. Made the playoffs the last four years and actually got wins in the last two. I’d probably rather watch them than like, Brown. Stadium is not interesting, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sash! posted:

"I played football for Merchant Marine" sounds like something someone made up

I accidentally walked by MIT vs Mass Maritime last fall. Quality of play was about what you’d expect from Turbonerds vs Boat Guys

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don’t sleep on Holy Cross. They’re an OK FCS program. Made the playoffs the last four years and actually got wins in the last two. I’d probably rather watch them than like, Brown. Stadium is not interesting, though.

More interesting than URI, Brown, and all the other DII+ stadiums in the region aside from CGA. Upside: 3/4 bowl. Downside: view is of the interstate.

Brown's is this weird triangle riser which would be cool except that's basically all it is: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8421214,-71.3941567,246m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu. So lame.

Berm stadiums are perfect for lower level college football. Very disappointed that no one in the region is using one. Bunch of high school berms, but no college.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

News: Jim Harbaugh is being suspended four games for making false statements to the NCAA.

Views:

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1683878306683158528?t=NtfEYgAoQgE5ADP-Fp-Jlg&s=19

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I accidentally walked by MIT vs Mass Maritime last fall. Quality of play was about what you’d expect from Turbonerds vs Boat Guys

Probably the purest form of the college athletic ideal of "students who play football on the side as recreation."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Komet posted:

News: Jim Harbaugh is being suspended four games for making false statements to the NCAA.

Views:

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1683878306683158528?t=NtfEYgAoQgE5ADP-Fp-Jlg&s=19

Rutgers and the points!!!!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://twitter.com/OldTakesExposed/status/1683880445144883200?s=20

haha

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

It's been about... I dunno, 4 years or so since I've seen college football in-person. Moved to an area (New England) that is not known for their football programs, but I actually love small-time teams.

I want to plan a game this fall. Who would you pick from this selection of teams:

Nearby
University of Rhode Island (FCS, only about 35 minutes away)
Coast Guard Academy (DIII, ~35 mins)
Brown (Ivy, about 45 minutes away)

Bit Further
UConn (~1 hr)
Holy Cross (FCS, ~1 hr)

Bit of a Journey
Yale (Ivy, ~1.5 hr)
Boston College (~1.5 hr)
UMass (~1.5 hr)

There are a few other DII and DIII schools out there, but none of them have truly intriguing stadiums aside from the Coast Guard Academy whose stadium overlooks the Thames River (soft th, not hard).

Which team would you make a plan to go watch? Anyone else that I should be considering?

Harvard-Yale in New Haven.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Komet posted:

Views:

Assuming most of these games are set years in advance, I'd start worrying about the amount of spice the AD is consuming to have that sort of precognition.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Views:

Week 4: Mich (2-2) suffers its second monster upset of the year to Rutgers (1-3)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Week 4: Mich (2-2) suffers its second monster upset of the year to Rutgers (1-3)

Inshallah

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Assuming most of these games are set years in advance, I'd start worrying about the amount of spice the AD is consuming to have that sort of precognition.

It's an enormously pathetic OOC slate, although they should definitely not overlook East Carolina.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's the real reason B10 fans laugh at the SEC-SoCon challenge, they're covering for their lawless programs needing a runway of cupcakes while they pay for their many offseason sins

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Komet posted:

It's an enormously pathetic OOC slate, although they should definitely not overlook East Carolina.

I looked up the line for this: Michigan -35

They’re absolutely going to overlook ECU and let’s all hope ECU remembers who they are

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

dirty shrimp money posted:

I looked up the line for this: Michigan -35

They’re absolutely going to overlook ECU and let’s all hope ECU remembers who they are

Current ECU is trash Michigan by 50

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's been like a decade since ECU was a Team You Should Not Schedule

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1683990659571806208?t=d8MAbZRI5b_S6HUF-VEAGQ&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's been like a decade since ECU was a Team You Should Not Schedule

That was a very funny period of history and I don't blame people for remembering it though. They were just out there destroying teams they had no business being on the field with for a little while there.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hey now ECU's made back-to-back bowls! Not as good as the ones that would randomly drop a 70-burger on UNC but they're in the vague neighborhood of "spry."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They could maybe make some noise in a newly weak AAC.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

They could maybe make some noise in a newly weak AAC.

Maybe. After Michigan they get Marshall and App State, and then they get UTSA and Tulane back to back at the end of October. Everything else is winnable though, so I'd say they're looking at 7 or 8 wins.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
App State, much to my chagrin, is looking pretty mid. Clark is finally having to lean into his recruits this year, and his record outside the A&M upset has been less than expected.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I take no joy in sharing this:

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1684254395897085972

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Go ahead and start the Matt Campbell rumors

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Didn't something like this come out last year about Fleck too?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fleck and Fitz were the 2 most Schiano-likes in the big 10 lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lol this isn’t even the first time a UM coach took positive drug tests into his own hands, their multi-decade-tenured national champ wrestling coach got fired for not reporting his guys who were running a Xanax ring

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Please tell me that they made fake money with PJ Fleck's face on it that you could earn by snitching on teammates then redeem to change your drug test results.

e. I encourage you all to read the article because it's batshit nuts and includes inspirational quotes like "If you're juicless, you're useless if you're juiceful, you're useful"

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 26, 2023

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Did we already make firepjfleck.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us