Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

perhaps I am just no longer ‘with it’ but I haven’t heard of critical mass happening here in years

They happen in Seattle, still. I don't know how popular they are, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Guardian covers coning efforts on SF:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/26/san-francisco-stop-self-driving-cars-traffic-cone-safe-street-rebel

quote:

The origins of the group’s tactics are murky, but at some point it was discovered that placing a cone on the hood of a self-driving car puts it into panic mode, shutting down the $50,000 vehicle until a human employee can come in person to get it unstuck.

Safe Street Rebel’s complaints about self-driving cars are multi-fold. The group has long campaigned for a less car-dominant San Francisco, promoting public transportation and advocating for pedestrian safety. It argues state funding and attention should be focused on public transit solutions, rather than on encouraging the use of personal vehicles, even self-driving ones.

quote:

It’s late in the evening, and the group has one cone left in tow from their sweep of nearby streets. A car approaches the intersection and one participant – who says this is her first time attending an action – lies in wait. She hops off her bike, runs in front of the car, and cones it. “That’s my first cone! Baby’s first cone!” she yells. 

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

i saw that movie in theaters and loved it, no idea if it holds up. i was like 10 or 11.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

i dunno it seems worth it to me. I also enjoyed daylight at the age of 10 and the air quality is pretty bad everywhere anyways.

gradenko_2000 posted:

daylight ftw

I uh also really enjoyed the 1998 movie daylight starring sylvester stallone

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
i liked hard rain with christian slater and snake eyes with nic cage how does it compare to those

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's no daylight, I think we can all agree on that

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
my favorite sly stallone is stayin alive, it is the sequel to saturday night fever with travolta, also has redd forman as the villain. lovely saturday afternoon broadcast channel matinee film. sly directed it and is not an actor.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ITT we are all watching and enjoying the mediocre 1996 disaster movie Daylight on bing video search

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

snake eyes with nic cage

this would be a really good movie ... for the Epstein thread

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ok ok I’ll watch it

what’s the best line to look out for, like ‘i want to take his face…off’ from face off or ‘i’m just so tired of all these Star Wars’ from out of Africa

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TylerLaRiviere/status/1684045892574142469

lady got hit and killed in chicago by a car that sped-up when it saw her crossing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Unrelated I almost got hit by a car while biking down to school yesterday

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
daylight is an extremely anticar movie. Everyone is getting into cars and hating it then they all get punished for not taking public transit. The people on the prison transport did absolutely nothing wrong though

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Peanut President posted:

Actually that's pretty relevant

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Grassy Knowles posted:

my favorite sly stallone is stayin alive, it is the sequel to saturday night fever with travolta, also has redd forman as the villain. lovely saturday afternoon broadcast channel matinee film. sly directed it and is not an actor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Guy standing above woman laying on the ground mangled, bleeding to death: better tweet this STAT

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

serves you right for potentially slowing down a car. try biking on the grass/sidewalk next time.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Guy standing above woman laying on the ground mangled, bleeding to death: better tweet this STAT

and no pics either. very lame.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Hot Diggity! posted:

Because living in them kinda sucks. If the courtyard is well maintained it can be a bit nicer, but units facing the courtyard don't get a ton of light, units in the sides and back are either facing a building, road, or alley. They're still pretty common here in Chicago and having lived in some because they were cheap it wasn't great.

Have a couple of friends who live in a place like this. One of them works on the maintenance/grounds crew so they get a huge discount on rent and a guarantee that it'll never go up (the downside of this is being stuck in a lovely overworked/underpaid job that wouldn't be worth it without the housing discount). The courtyard is really nice (thanks to their hard work) with communal grills that they have people over for cookouts sometimes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Peanut President posted:

lady got hit and killed in chicago by a car that sped-up when it saw her crossing

:(

but I don't doubt it. It's kulturkampf poo poo for these people

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Peanut President posted:

It's fine. Just an accident.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Peanut President posted:

lady got hit and killed in chicago by a driver who sped-up when it saw her crossing

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There was an interview I read with a driver who struck a pedestrian and the driver fully admitted to speeding up in hopes that the pedestrian would 'scurry out of the way '.

Edit: can't find the story but I did find this gem:

quote:

"Essentially the numbers have doubled and whether it is due to pedestrian error, driver error or a combination of both it is still up and what we are trying to impress upon people is that even if they are crossing properly at a roadway they can't assume that the vehicle that is approaching is going to stop," Traffic Services Const. Clint Stibbe told CP24 at the scene.

"They have to be aware of their surroundings and they need to get eye contact with the driver of the vehicle."

We don't know why pedestrians keep dying but we're going to assume it's their fault!

Ensign Expendable has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jul 26, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

There was an interview I read with a driver who struck a pedestrian and the driver fully admitted to speeding up in hopes that the pedestrian would 'scurry out of the way '.

was that driver charged

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

was that driver charged
they probably plugged in their tesla when they got home from receiving a commendation from the local police if that's what you mean

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

where is this interview, i must see it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Admitting to killing someone and facing no repercussions ftmfw

Apr 7, 2003

if you're a pedestrian you aren't a 'someone'

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dumbass mobsters whacking people with guns. If John Gotti ran over his enemies in an Escalade he'd have died a free man

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mystes posted:

I've been looking all around that area on street view and while some of the apartment complexes seem less car oriented than others, in the entire area it seems seems 100% impossible to walk efficiently in a straight line as a pedestrian except on the main roads because there would constantly be buildings in your way. Are you denying this or are you just saying because you can walk in a massively inefficient zig-zag pattern it counts as walkable?

Maybe the problem is that we're looking at different parts. Could you give an example of a specific apartment complex that you think is good in that area?

Not the same area, but here's my experience with Soviet urban design. This was my route to school for many years. It's not exactly as the crow flies, but it's reasonably straight. Even though there is no grid pattern, walking never felt like an inefficient zigzag and the only time we used a car was for out of town trips.

A large portion of the trip was through pedestrian paths with no cars at all. Most of the remainder was on a road with sidewalks, but the actual driveable part of the road was something like 1.5 lanes wide with no markings, so it was impossible to drive quickly since passing another car going in the opposite direction took some finesse.

The only large road I had to deal with was the crossing at the start of the trip. It felt huge when I was little and looks big on satellite, but that's just because the other streets are small. It's just two lanes in either direction and would be considered a small cramped downtown street where I live now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

Dumbass mobsters whacking people with guns. If John Gotti ran over his enemies in an Escalade he'd have died a free man

They convicted john gotti because he killed a driver

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Edit: can't find the story but I did find this gem:

We don't know why pedestrians keep dying but we're going to assume it's their fault!

many are saying drivers have gone bonkers since covid but i'm over here wondering what has gotten into pedestrians?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kicked Throat posted:

many are saying drivers have gone bonkers since covid but i'm over here wondering what has gotten into pedestrians?
suvs and trucks mostly

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

They convicted john gotti because he killed a driver

Woah that's true

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

Woah that's true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5xjR-M3BsY

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Peanut President posted:

it's bc her vibes were bad. nothing could have stopped it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If she was wearing enough hi-viz clothing the car would have accelerated even harder and gone faster than light and safely passed the intersection before it left

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Rode our bikes to the town hall today, got married, and then wandered around for a bit before riding home again, 25km or so in all. gently caress cars, who needs em.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I guess farmers can probably have some trucks. Not too many though

Apr 7, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

I guess farmers can probably have some trucks. Not too many though

Farmers in the US are apparently buying Japanese import Kei trucks because modern American trucks are impractical for work

https://carbuzz.com/news/americans-are-saving-lots-of-money-by-importing-small-japanese-trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

going for a bike ride today