Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I mean look I am usually all for marvel level tropes and goofy stuff and ok lets just enjoy this but this was such a steaming pile and at its core it wasn't even an interesting spy story about a secret invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm not even all the way done and those lovely 5 episodes were 1000% worth it to see the super skrull fight

it's a tiny little secret war

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I'm not even all the way done and those lovely 5 episodes were 1000% worth it to see the super skrull fight

it's a tiny little secret war

Did you really get excited by seeing Korg's arm for a few seconds or whatever?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What a turd of a show.

Did the crew all turn up and decide whatever, yawn, who cares, we'll add a reason for anyone to give a poo poo in post? And then run out of budget?

Sockser posted:

Two hundred and fifty million dollars.

:monocle:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Did you really get excited by seeing Korg's arm for a few seconds or whatever?

yah, it was dope

1 hulk arm, 1 Ebony Maw arm, mantis antennae, carol danvers eyes

I don't even care that Ghost and Abomination weren't at the Battle of Earth, or that Hulk's blood will canonically kill anyone except Jennifer Walters and Kimmy Schmidt's step-dad

disbelief successfully suspended

I mean, Gravik even conjures Hulk's shorts on his 1 hulk leg. It's perfect

Also worth noting:
no peter parker DNA cause that would be a Sony thing hahahahahaha

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 26, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I think I can safely say if I am asked that it is perfectly fine to skip this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
After watching I am convinced Giah is going to be the way Fantastic Four gets introduced to the MCU. In fact, I think her Earth name is going to be Sue Storm. Super Skrull was supposed to be all the F4 powers in one person, I think either an accident or some experiment (maybe to remove or dampen her powers that are out of her control) happens that leaves the chief scientist Reed Richards with his powers and then maybe another Skrull becomes Johnny and a lab tech becomes Thing. She is big enough an actor to anchor that set up. It all kind of makes sense and jives in my head with the way the MCU works.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Were there any rumors about this prior to release that it was getting negative feedback from focus testing participants and the studio execs like Echo is supposedly getting?

Cause if this got positive feedback then maybe Echo is going to be the best thing in the loving world comparatively, those rumors are making the defiant part of me think that show might be good just because if the execs who looked at this and said "yep, this is good to go and money well spent" reckon it's poo poo then that feels like there's an even chance it's good actually.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

swickles posted:

After watching I am convinced Giah is going to be the way Fantastic Four gets introduced to the MCU. In fact, I think her Earth name is going to be Sue Storm. Super Skrull was supposed to be all the F4 powers in one person, I think either an accident or some experiment (maybe to remove or dampen her powers that are out of her control) happens that leaves the chief scientist Reed Richards with his powers and then maybe another Skrull becomes Johnny and a lab tech becomes Thing. She is big enough an actor to anchor that set up. It all kind of makes sense and jives in my head with the way the MCU works.

Christ on a cracker... that sounds plausible enough to be an actual plan, but I hope they just delete this show from canon after reading the spoilers posted and stick with their actual comics origin.

That said, I am going to watch the finale tonight. Can't wait to let this shitshow wash over me and watch my wife's reaction to it.

Actually, since everything is in the multiverse now, I really hope if they do keep this thing alive and viewable that they just retcon it as some bullshit from Earth 9845 or something, and we get a proper Secret Invasion (or not, idgaf) later down the line. Buuuut, if this show has any sort of direct lead-up references in The Marvels, there won't be any way to get a re-shoot in to remove it now. Oh boy.

thebardyspoon posted:

Were there any rumors about this prior to release that it was getting negative feedback from focus testing participants and the studio execs like Echo is supposedly getting?

Cause if this got positive feedback then maybe Echo is going to be the best thing in the loving world comparatively, those rumors are making the defiant part of me think that show might be good just because if the execs who looked at this and said "yep, this is good to go and money well spent" reckon it's poo poo then that feels like there's an even chance it's good actually.

I follow that sort of stuff fairly closely and I don't recall anything at any point during the shows filming or post-production indicating it was a troubled production or not testing well. Honestly, your post here is probably the first thing I've read that made me intrigued to watch Echo. If that's supposedly soooo bad that they're dumping it in full, and this was deemed good enough to follow the regular weekly release strategy... then Echo is either the best D+ MCU show or unwatchable.

Considering Disney's cost-cutting and the impact Disney+ shows are having on the MCU brand, I would not be the least bit surprised if Marvel Studios is ordered to cease production on streaming shows. Loki s2 (October) and Echo (November) are up next, then next year we are supposedly getting Ironheart, Agatha, and Daredevil Born Again. Although I would wager the strikes will get those postponed indefinitely, or the strikes will get used as cover to ditch more than a dew projects.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 26, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah it's not enough that this show is bad, it's that it pollutes the MCU as a whole both forward and backwards, and I am fearful of how they'll adapt the ramifications of SI without just completely abandoning it entirely

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So Fury's whole "I can't call the avengers this is a personal/regular humans need to solve this poo poo themselves" plan ended with him giving an alien all the avengers powers to fight another alien with all the avengers powers??

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Lmao. Fury leaving a mess behind because he can't be late for Captain Marvel 2 is some next level poo poo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is Giah going to randomly pop in Marvels now that she has Captain Marvel's powers?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sockser posted:

Yeah it's not enough that this show is bad, it's that it pollutes the MCU as a whole both forward and backwards, and I am fearful of how they'll adapt the ramifications of SI without just completely abandoning it entirely

I mean, it's really headed to be completely abandoned. It's simply not a well-seen show that has any hype and you can really handwave most of it away.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

All of this.

The show ends with EVERYTHING worse that it was at the beginning. So much worse. This isn't "how Nick Fury got his groove back", it's "hey, Nick Fury is a sad pathetic failure, now watch as he becomes a well-adjusted super-failure". It's not a conclusion to a story arc, this show just set up a hellish dystopia of an ending and there doesn't seem to be any sign of who or what is going to fix it. What a loving downer.

Also the US President just declared New Asgard enemy combatants? As you say, is nobody going to speak against the US President? Suddenly in THE LAST FIVE MINUTES OF THE SHOW there's an international vigilante coalition of Skrull-Anon murdering anyone they think might (might) be an alien. This is worse than the Sokovia Accords. It's worse than the extra-territorial superhero work that led to the Sokovia Accords. This is just one annoyed dude deciding to destabilise the entire world in the very arse end of the story arc with no consideration how this will affect the MCU. It would probably have been less bad to just drop a bomb on the Skrull compound. (lol at it needing to be a nuke though, even regular 2023 US military has enough toys to flatten such a small area that wouldn't trigger a global apocalypse.)

Why would you even have War Machine as the Presidential advisor/bodyguard if he doesn't have access to his supersuit during a potential SECOND assassination attempt? Why was he even riding in the car during the first attempt, and not flying cover? They downgraded WAR MACHINE to a single pistol and the ability to die to a single gunshot. PUT ON THE SUIT omfg.

Why would they even keep human Everett Ross alive once his Skrull double was killed? If they were planning to keep using Ross, then he should probably still be in the loving story at some point. Gravik apparently murdered every single Skrull in the compound, except for the gate guards because oooh dramatic tension, there's no reason not to just murk some/all of the named characters down there too. This is supposed to be our happy ending though, isn't it, that a couple of named characters didn't die. Wow.

What even is the loving point of a false flag WWIII if Skrulls can die to a single bullet, would likely all die in WWIII anyway because it's not just the radiation that's an issue, and all the hardcore most loyal supporters of the plan (or at least, the head Skrull with the plan) got murdered in advance of doomsday by the genius behind it all.

Why am I even trying to make sense of any of this?

How was the loving plan to superpower both of them, and then hope that the good SS beats the bad SS? Gi'ah already had the same initial upgrade that Gravik had, they could have just fought on even terms without risking potentially losing and having the big bad guy now roaming free in upgraded form. Jesus loving christ this is the dumbest poo poo ever, just so they could have an "and I am all the Jedi" CGI fight scene in a derelict car park.

Don't get me started on how we now have a Captain Marvel + Hulk + EVERYONE ELSE power level character running around out there. It's bad enough when it's "Where's Captain Marvel" to solve any problem, but now there's a local girl not turning up to save the day.

This is not the worst thing I have ever watched. For the amount of money it cost, it may well be the worst thing I've ever watched on a dollar per minute basis. Not even exaggerating. It does nothing on its own merits, doesn't advance the character of anyone in the show (and straight up ends the lives of some they could have done something with), and it makes the MCU worse in so many ways. It's a net negative, with no positives.

I'll assume that all of the above spoilers are part of why we'll have President "Indiana" Ross. Ross might be his own kind of grumpy rear end in a top hat but I don't see him accepting genocide.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Skrulls relocate to the Celestial head island,

the powers are divided up individually to the inevitable human/skrull children that had been born in the years since they came to Earth and are now teenagers. and to a couple older skrulls, one of whom lived through a prison camp set up by the president....

The DNA we saw on screen was:

Ghost : Kitty Pride / Nightcrawler
Winder Soldier: Colossus
Ebony Maw: Magneto
Cull Obsidian: Juggernaut
Proxima Midnight: Rogue
Corvus Glaive: Psylocke
Thor Odinson: Gambit
Black Panther: Wolverine and Sabretooth
Captain America: ??
Hulk: Beast
Abomination: ??
Valkyrie: Angel
Captain Marvel: Cyclops and Havok
Frost Beast: Ice Man / Emma Frost
Extremis: Pyro
Mantis: Professor X
Groot: ??

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yannick_B posted:

I mean, it's really headed to be completely abandoned. It's simply not a well-seen show that has any hype and you can really handwave most of it away.

they will say he was a one term president and all the terrorists he inspired are all arrested and everything is fixed now

maybe add a wink at the camera or something

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
What a dumb ending that ends up leaving me with more questions.

How does the US suddenly know who the Skrulls are? The dipshit POTUS didn't even know Rhodes was one!

Was Fury's plan entirely hinged on Gaia winning in a powered up fistfight? What an absolutely insane plan! At that point it seems way better to just cut your losses and reveal the Skrulls, have the President or Russia wipe out the rebels and be done with them. Yeah, killing 2000ish people isn't good but seems better!

The President just declared war on all aliens so, uh, good luck dealing with the New Asgardians and Thor! And one insanely strong Skrull! And some other less useful randos. It's going to create a very awkward situation the next time the Avengers or whatever get together right? Is Rhodes obligated to shoot Thor?

If the MCU wanted to create a remotely interesting world (they don't), they could do something like create some new world power blocs where the Asgardians are allied with the EU, Wakanda is allied with the African Union, etc. Maybe a certain doctor comes along...

Instead we get whatever this nonsense is which will not matter at all by the time the next movie or series or whatever happens. Fury seems happy enough to see Carol. And we know Ford is joining at some point so I guess the current dude loses and Ford comes in and reverses everything?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So the Skrulls plan was to stage an attack on the a head of state to provoke them into retaliation and leading to WW3. The President at the last second averts his response to put an end to their plan. He then creates a new response which provokes people into assassinating other heads of states???

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's great that a nothing character that Marvel has already let be known will not be keeping his job started a global genocide that got heads of state murdered (good job by the UK secret service btw, letting one guy just run up on a press conference).

Why didn't Colman just shoot Rhodey in the leg? Oh right, because then there wouldn't have been the dramatic tension.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Yannick_B posted:

Yea I have a feeling we're getting another Eternals where it's just memory holed.
At least they do that - instead of going ahead with it anyway

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't watched the finale yet but Rhodey was absolutely not replaced pre-Endgame and if the writers were trying to suggest that then their own show contradicts it. In episode 5 Fury says that Gravik collected the DNA after the big Thanos battle in Endgame. He clearly had not gone rogue by that point, so why would he have been kidnapping people?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So. loving. Dull.

The MCU is falling out of the public's favor pretty rapidly and they can't afford to keep making mistakes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wait, so when they said there were 20 russian not turning back into skrull bodies proving it was a real russian attack, Gravik used only actual russian mercenaries/soldiers for the attack except for him and his second in command?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Nick Fury loving off to space/The Marvels at the end of this is very “My work here is done” Simpsons meme

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

So. loving. Dull.

The MCU is falling out of the public's favor pretty rapidly and they can't afford to keep making mistakes.

I'm still hoping Loki's next adventure will be a fun time, but this Skrull show sounds awful. I haven't watched it yet and I get the impression I'm better off this way :smith:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FoneBone posted:

Nick Fury loving off to space/The Marvels at the end of this is very “My work here is done” Simpsons meme

But he left a strongly worded voicemail for the president!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rappaport posted:

I'm still hoping Loki's next adventure will be a fun time, but this Skrull show sounds awful. I haven't watched it yet and I get the impression I'm better off this way :smith:

Isn't the reason they're not showing much of Loki season 2 that it's almost definitely got Majors in and all around it so they're just utterly unsure how it's going to come across? If that's true it's probably gonna feel slightly weird.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This was disappointing. NGL, I did dig the dumb action figure fight at the end even though it made zero sense and I was really hoping for those power to start wearing off before the end. But wow this show started off slow, but with potential and was only watchable because of a couple good performances and only when those actors were on screen.

Imagine if the first episode was the attack on the convoy and then the Presidential address from this episode and that is what set up our conflict. Fury having to diffuse xenophobic humans and Skrull extremists. That the whole "home planet" was already laid out as being impossible without exposing the Skrulls to Kree attacks and the space station being a compromise for those skrulls who didn't want to live in hiding on Earth.

Then you could have a show about actually accepting and integrating refugees as part of society, which might be a good message in today's political climate.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't the reason they're not showing much of Loki season 2 that it's almost definitely got Majors in and all around it so they're just utterly unsure how it's going to come across? If that's true it's probably gonna feel slightly weird.

Marvel doesn't really play things close to the vest. We knew Kang was going to be the villain in Quantumania before he showed up in Loki and we knew Ross becomes president and Fury returns to space before Secret Invasion. Seems more likely that Renslayer and Miss Minutes are the main antagonists in S2.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

WhyteRyce posted:

wait, so when they said there were 20 russian not turning back into skrull bodies proving it was a real russian attack, Gravik used only actual russian mercenaries/soldiers for the attack except for him and his second in command?

Ninurta posted:

Okayish episode up until the firefight. Where are all the dead No Russian Skrulls? Or did they hire Wagner for the foot soldiers? It's going to be the latter, isn't it?

Yep.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rappaport posted:

Bungling Loki would put me into firm hatewatching territory on the rest of the MCU.

I just re-watched the first season and it's a damned masterpiece.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Arist posted:

I haven't watched the finale yet but Rhodey was absolutely not replaced pre-Endgame and if the writers were trying to suggest that then their own show contradicts it. In episode 5 Fury says that Gravik collected the DNA after the big Thanos battle in Endgame. He clearly had not gone rogue by that point, so why would he have been kidnapping people?

While I did not particularly like the resolution of this show. Those gripes are trivial.
Gravik was doing his own stuff while seemingly following Fury's orders. Fury is a complete idiot when it comes to that boy and didn't notice anything. Also Gravik didn't just nick that DNA back then, since he hadn't had the machine yet.
To be fair Fury didn't notice when his whole organization was completely shelled out by Hydra either. I think he's just way to trusting with his underlings, which is a bad attribute for that job.

The show sucked.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Another marvel show that just ends with two people having a CGI slugfest. Is that like studio-mandated or something? What a waste of time all around.

I for one, am happy Nick Fury gets to be with the lady gremlin from gremlins 2 though, mazel tov kids, may you have the baldest, saltiest children in the galaxy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cant cook creole bream posted:

While I did not particularly like the resolution of this show. Those gripes are trivial.
Gravik was doing his own stuff while seemingly following Fury's orders. Fury is a complete idiot when it comes to that boy and didn't notice anything. Also Gravik didn't just nick that DNA back then, since he hadn't had the machine yet.
To be fair Fury didn't notice when his whole organization was completely shelled out by Hydra either. I think he's just way to trusting with his underlings, which is a bad attribute for that job.

The show sucked.

To be clear, I'm saying that the show does not seem to actually be suggesting that Rhodey was a Skrull in Endgame, which people have been freaking out about online

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Arist posted:

To be clear, I'm saying that the show does not seem to actually be suggesting that Rhodey was a Skrull in Endgame, which people have been freaking out about online

It's stupid and intentionally somewhat vague, because they want to spark discourse, or haven't actually decided. Honestly, I don't really care.

But yeah, I don't really think it would make any sense that he hung out in an irradiated reactor for a decade. Honestly, what was the point of keeping those guys alive in the first place? It's not like they were planning on ever giving them their lives back.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 26, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Needs more inter species making out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The show ends with Gravik airing out his reasonable grievances to a fake Fury and then the real Fury fucks off to space after the president of the United States declares war on all aliens. Hashtag Justice for Gravik.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

live with fruit posted:

It's great that a nothing character that Marvel has already let be known will not be keeping his job started a global genocide that got heads of state murdered (good job by the UK secret service btw, letting one guy just run up on a press conference).

They seem to think that Downing Street is just some unguarded street and anyone can get to the front door of the Prime Minister's residence. That hasn't been true for > 30 years, ever since the IRA nearly got Thatcher that way with a bomb - same as how you don't have simple access to the back garden from nearby buildings any more after the IRA nearly got John Major with a mortar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ookiimarukochan posted:

They seem to think that Downing Street is just some unguarded street and anyone can get to the front door of the Prime Minister's residence. That hasn't been true for > 30 years, ever since the IRA nearly got Thatcher that way with a bomb - same as how you don't have simple access to the back garden from nearby buildings any more after the IRA nearly got John Major with a mortar

Which is something I didn't know until I was there on vacation earlier this year.