Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arivia posted:

Oh man "Distant Origin" is a good episode. Probably Chakotay's best outing on the series so far.
Yeah although funnily enough, that episode is more focused on the alien scientists and their POV most of the time than Chakotay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Tonight's duo begins with The Dauphin, which I found very sweet and silly. A fluffy little teenager-in-love tale for Wesley that I just sat back and went along with because I'm a big sucker for earnest melodrama. All the bits of the crew mentoring him in chatting up girls are hilarious, Worf with his screaming, Riker and Guinan both getting caught up in their own little flirt-fest role play and Geordie... has absolutely nothing to offer, of course. Yeah, sure, you're too busy with the engine thing. Whatever, nerd. Throw in an out-of-the-blue single scene of Twin Peaks' Madchen Amick, sure! It's good. But it's the sort of good you really have to be able to drop your cynical guard for, otherwise it's probably EEW, SAPPY, EEW, LOVE AND FEELINGS AND STUFF

Meanwhile, in Contagion, the Yamato continues to be cursed. And now it's cursed and spread over a wide area of space, oh dear. But more importantly, the first instance of "TEA. EARL GREY. HOT." but he does not get his tea! Because the Enterprise is hosed! Computer virus! This leads to a lot of very disquieting scenes of all the lights going out, the turbo lift going all wacky and most importantly, tea. He does not get his tea. This is a rip off. And in the end, the solution is (comically) turning it off and on again. Alright, it's a bit more complicated than that, but overall, a real fun one. Real fond of the source of the problem being a long dead civilisation which is explored and quite interesting.

There's a real nice groove to the show now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah although funnily enough, that episode is more focused on the alien scientists and their POV most of the time than Chakotay

Yeah but you do get to see Chakotay be an actual good Starfleet officer instead of "a-couch-ee-mooya" or "I'M THE FORMER MAQUIS LEADER YOU WANNA DO MAQUIS THINGS HERE'S PUNCHING" which is a really nice change of pace. Torres gets episodes about not being stupid, Chakotay doesn't get nearly enough.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m at the same spot you are in my rewatch.

The Dauphin: Worf wanted to gently caress Anya the caretaker. Monster form, old lady form, whatever.

The Contagion: Have you tried turning your Enterprise off and then on, again?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm up to the flotter episode, wish me luck.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hey, does the viewing order of TOS matter all that much? I'm realizing that Paramount+ is showing them in remastered order which is different from original broadcast order, though I'm guessing in general everything is standalone enough that I'm not gonna miss much just watching in the default remastered order.

weird, paramount+ has them in order of original broadcast for me (except for the cage of course, because it wasn't originally broadcast)

anyway no, it doesn't matter. but there's a pretty noticeable shift in the overall tone past season 1

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is there a dedicated thread in Games for Starfleet Battles/Federation Commander/Federation and Empire, etc?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That wasn't as bad as I remember but Naomi seems too old for that kind of entertainment and this is the 2nd episode where Neelix works through something that he probably should have figured out in his 20s.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arivia posted:

"I'M THE FORMER MAQUIS LEADER YOU WANNA DO MAQUIS THINGS HERE'S PUNCHING"

Sadly the only time I remember him punching was that weird boxing episode

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

Sadly the only time I remember him punching was that weird boxing episode

https://youtu.be/ggSLRU0dMtY

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Lol I never noticed how much of a half-cocked punch that is and how winded he seems afterwards

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrMojok posted:

Is there a dedicated thread in Games for Starfleet Battles/Federation Commander/Federation and Empire, etc?

I'd bet money against it. Add in the computer games on GOG and we have a potentially low traffic but long-lasting thread.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just watched Hard Time on my journey through DS9.

I guess O'Brien is just gonna stay this way, huh.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just watched Hard Time on my journey through DS9.

I guess O'Brien is just gonna stay this way, huh.

I liked how that episode ended. DS9 handed trauma well compared to most Trek, and I liked that they didn't take the easy, episodic way out by mashing the ol' reset button at the end of the episode. VOY would have done nothing with it, and been borderline offensive about dismissing trauma.

See also: "It's Only a Paper Moon."

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
See also Nog's arc leading up to Paper Moon that makes it so good.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I liked how that episode ended. DS9 handed trauma well compared to most Trek, and I liked that they didn't take the easy, episodic way out by mashing the ol' reset button at the end of the episode. VOY would have done nothing with it, and been borderline offensive about dismissing trauma.

One thing I forgot about it until a recent view is that it's mentioned that O'Brien is seeing a counsellor in it. Compared to say, that episode where B'elanna gets depression after finding out all the Maquis in the Alpha Quadrant are dead and Chakotay is like put your big girl pants on and stop being depressed.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

No kidding, I just watched Paper Moon for the first time yesterday.

That was a brilliant example of how to portray trauma.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"Computer. End Program." was a brutal moment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was having trouble getting my TNG/SNW-loving partner into TOS, even after Menagerie, Balance of Terror, and a Space Seed/TWOK double-feature. That is until we popped on Star Trek IV. Being a woman of taste she adored it, and it made the TOS cast finally click for her. Now we're gonna plow through the whole thing :cool:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

feedmyleg posted:

Was having trouble getting my TNG/SNW-loving partner into TOS, even after Menagerie, Balance of Terror, and a Space Seed/TWOK double-feature. That is until we popped on Star Trek IV. Being a woman of taste she adored it, and it made the TOS cast finally click for her. Now we're gonna plow through the whole thing :cool:

Surely instead of plowing while it's on, it would be more beneficial to pay attention to the episodes? If you plow through the whoel thing you may miss stuff :v:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nah you gotta start em young

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Did Aatrek reregister?

edit: Sorry that was mean, but you really set that one up :haw:

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 27, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What I did was watch it on a second monitor while I played low-attention games so I could get past the really bad parts of episodes and the glacial pacing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Soul Dentist posted:

:yikes:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Due to comments in this thread, I have decided to reevaluate my position on the Ferengi.

What episodes should I watch, aside from The Magnificent Ferengi?

I’ve watched a ton of episodes since that post.

And I am now proud to say Quark has become my favorite character on the show.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

One thing I forgot about it until a recent view is that it's mentioned that O'Brien is seeing a counsellor in it. Compared to say, that episode where B'elanna gets depression after finding out all the Maquis in the Alpha Quadrant are dead and Chakotay is like put your big girl pants on and stop being depressed.

Hey now, she also fixed a hole in a shuttle.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

No like the kid that would result from the conception during a Star Trek watch between consenting adults.

Jesus Christ goons

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Soul Dentist posted:

No like the kid that would result from the conception during a Star Trek watch between consenting adults.

Jesus Christ goons

Aatrek casts a long shadow over the thread.

Side note: I am proud of having been reprimanded by Aatrek in a previous iteration of the thread. He threatened to probate me for stupid bullshit too, like not carrying water for his idea of Trek orthodoxy and arguing with him over it. How now, bitch? :whatup:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Soul Dentist posted:

Jesus Christ goons

You have to be a fully functional adult to give consent. These are Star Trek fans.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EDIT: Wrong Star Trek argument, but ParamountCBSViacomWhatever is still bad at business.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Der Kyhe posted:

Making and actually using money on a new show that is aimed towards kids and families with kids, was one of the better ideas Paramount had to increase the amount of potential new fans for the franchise.

So obviously it was the first one to get the axe, because ParamountCBSViacomWhatever is terrible at its business decisions.

Was it even popular with kids? I heard that it just got us Trekkies on board.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

Well, even if it wasn't it was at least one of their better ideas to get more new fans aboard.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
"'It was a dark and stormy night.' Not a promising beginning."

The Royale is a surreal little puzzle episode, but I feel it could have been better. The initial mystery of what's going on is really good, the early cheesy dialogue between the hotel staff actually being quite a brilliant idea in retrospect. A brilliant idea, but sadly it remains just that. I just wish they did more with the concept, leaned a bit harder into the cheap fiction aspect and had more fun with it. Instead, it just builds to a weak finale, Data chucking dice about until they win and walk out, it isn't very exciting at all. Watchable enough though.

Keeping the puzzle theme going, Time Squared. A solid time loop story, the situation looking oppressively grim for the Enterprise. Ends on a solution that I worked out before it happened and felt dead clever for doing so, which is always satisfying. It wasn't a blind guess, the story hands you those clues without being glaringly obvious about it or having Data gently caress about with a Chinese finger trap in the cold open. The actual cold open is Riker's eggs. Everybody hates the eggs. Worf likes the eggs. A fair exercise in conjuring impending doom and putting pressure on the crew, Picard in particular, cracking stuff.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched “Take Me Out to the Holosuite” and as a huge baseball fan for most of my life, it was quite a treat.

I looked up some trivia about the episode. I don’t remember all the actors’ names, but the kid who played Jake was a pretty decent ballplayer, and so were all three Ferengi actors.

The guy who played Rom was apparently so good he was considering trying to become a pro ballplayer when he was younger, and the only way he could play a bad player onscreen was to attempt to throw and hit left-handed.

Worf and Sisco going ballistic on Odo over the strike three call, followed by Odo quoting the actual regulation about touching the ump before ejecting Sisco, was great.

And I can’t decide which Worf line made me laugh harder:

“Death to the opposition!!!”

or “Find him and kill him!”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Just watched “Take Me Out to the Holosuite” and as a huge baseball fan for most of my life, it was quite a treat.

I looked up some trivia about the episode. I don’t remember all the actors’ names, but the kid who played Jake was a pretty decent ballplayer, and so were all three Ferengi actors.

The guy who played Rom was apparently so good he was considering trying to become a pro ballplayer when he was younger, and the only way he could play a bad player onscreen was to attempt to throw and hit left-handed.

Worf and Sisco going ballistic on Odo over the strike three call, followed by Odo quoting the actual regulation about touching the ump before ejecting Sisco, was great.

And I can’t decide which Worf line made me laugh harder:

“Death to the opposition!!!”

or “Find him and kill him!”

Every time I go to a sports anything, after the national anthems finish I always say in my head "Death to the opposition!!!"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Every time I go to a sports anything, after the national anthems finish I always say in my head "Death to the opposition!!!"

So am I, from here on out. And maybe not just in my head :cheeky:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eimi posted:

It aired on Nickelodeon and was available on its digital outlets, so at the least they were trying.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Unless it aired on Youtube, no kids are watching it. Do kids even know what Nickelodeon is? I don't think I've ever seen my nephews even turn their TV on, they just want to watch 20-somethings get just alarmingly overexcited about Minecraft on a phone all day.

Did they at the very least do the upload-the-first-3-episodes thing that Netflix always does with their kids shows in the states?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm sure Microsoft could of made a ton of money off some sort of minecraft videos subscription service site or something.

You know that would be a site people -or their parents- would actually pay money to subscribe to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is there any info on how Marina Sirtis and Majel Barrett got along on-set? Watched "Menage a Troi" a couple of days ago, as part of my partner's first watch-through of TNG, and that one in particular seems like it could have been a bit of a nightmare behind the scenes if the friction was high enough. Actually, to broaden that question, what sorts of responses did other ST actors have to working with Barrett in general? I imagine her position as Roddenberry's wife cast a huge shadow over any interactions.