Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I moved back to PEI and it is pretty agreeable to me. Cost of living has doubled since I was last here, but that still means (most) rentals are around $1/square foot. Charlottetown is definitely pricier in places. Houses are a lot more expensive than pre-pandemic, but still lots between 200 and 300. The speculators are eating poo poo right now in the Summerside area, it rules and prices are dropping.

The island has big problems, especially around healthcare, but you can actually afford to live here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Randalor posted:

I'm phoneposting and can't be bothered to figure out how to post a gif, so just pretend I put the gif of Tim Curry saying "Spaaaaace!" from Red Alert 3 here.

Alternatively, some country where the local currency is much, much weaker than the Canadian dollar and where you can live in relative comfort with what you currently own, as long as all you want to buy is food? Other than that, I got nadda.

incredible things are happening in Mexico

I’m still blown away by 1900 rent for North Dartmouth in Halifax. like what the gently caress are people doing there. unless you’re a Cortland Cronk type rich kid you aren’t making enough for that

my first pay raise in NS was… 0.5%. at that point why even bother printing a letter to send me? employers there are ridiculously cheap

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

I moved back to PEI and it is pretty agreeable to me. Cost of living has doubled since I was last here, but that still means (most) rentals are around $1/square foot. Charlottetown is definitely pricier in places. Houses are a lot more expensive than pre-pandemic, but still lots between 200 and 300. The speculators are eating poo poo right now in the Summerside area, it rules and prices are dropping.

The island has big problems, especially around healthcare, but you can actually afford to live here.

wait so PEI wasn’t taken over by Toronto WFH gang? I’d like Summerside honestly, even if winter can get rough

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

They are here for sure, that is what drove the cost of living up. However, a bunch went back after winter, and tons of speculators bought everything on the market last year. Almost every listing I've looked at the last few months was purchased last year, and is now listed at least 10k under what they paid. I'm going to wait until January and then start lowballing speculators. Everyone I've talked to thinks a serious correction is about to happen in Summerside. People thought it was going to take off like Charlottetown, but it didn't. Summerside does feel like a proper town now, but I'm not going to wait until the winter to say that for sure. It kinda feels like Summerside is what you'd get if you combined Moncton and Shediac.

Charlottetown is still going up though, at least from what I hear. It feels like a real city there now, it reminded me of KW a lot.

Edit: also as a follow up to my landlord that said the rent was too high (his son arranged the rental): He dropped the rent by a whole month, crazy. Has said we can stay forever at that rate if we want. He also fixed our car for free when the door broke. I am paying his mortgage, but as far as landlords go he's pretty good. He doesn't use the internet, which is probably the source of all his general decentness. He insisted on arranging the internet and is including it in the rent we already pay. I have no idea what he got, but I can download around 20mb/s in Summerside! Last time I was here I had satellite internet.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Jul 26, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Virtual Russian posted:

They are here for sure, that is what drove the cost of living up. However, a bunch went back after winter, and tons of speculators bought everything on the market last year. Almost every listing I've looked at the last few months was purchased last year, and is now listed at least 10k under what they paid. I'm going to wait until January and then start lowballing speculators. Everyone I've talked to thinks a serious correction is about to happen in Summerside. People thought it was going to take off like Charlottetown, but it didn't. Summerside does feel like a proper town now, but I'm not going to wait until the winter to say that for sure. It kinda feels like Summerside is what you'd get if you combined Moncton and Shediac.

Charlottetown is still going up though, at least from what I hear. It feels like a real city there now, it reminded me of KW a lot.

ngl i miss living in kw, i bet i'd like charlottetown a lot (i do love the maritimes, generally)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Isentropy posted:

wait so PEI wasn’t taken over by Toronto WFH gang?

they realized that what they were paying for in toronto was having stuff to do and returned. also, their employers cancelled wfh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It owns that like everytime I check the NS section of the CBC there's some Ontario yuppie couple whining about something. Half the time they're landlords or property developers or in marketing. Go home then fuckos!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
don’t even get me started about how their failchildren completely gut our university system here

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

don’t even get me started about how their failchildren completely gut our university system here

I’m interested please tell

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

I’m interested please tell

federal funding for higher ed is tied to how many university students reside in your province, not how many attend in your province.

residing, of course, being defined as a student’s permanent address. this rule made, somehow, by a government elected mostly in the regions that stand to gain from the arrangement.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PEI is nice but it's terminally car brained, which I guess makes sense when 90% of people there are farmers, or pretending to be farmers. I was visiting family there and wanted to do a mini-trip to Halifax and just couldn't without renting a car and driving halfway to Moncton first. There's a ferry but absolutely no busses to either end of it. I ended up turo-ing a car from someone in a subdivision that was just a dozen giant newish ugly McMansions sitting in a huge loop in the middle of a giant field with absolutely nothing for kilometers in any direction. It felt like a parody of a suburb.

also like a third of my cousins there have died from rare blood cancers because the water is like half pesticide by volume

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

It owns that like everytime I check the NS section of the CBC there's some Ontario yuppie couple whining about something. Half the time they're landlords or property developers or in marketing. Go home then fuckos!!

First they complain that their new house is on fire, then they complain that it’s underwater. Nothing is good enough for the big city folk.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Danielle Smith went all out for her constituents at the parade in her riding this morning.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pontiac snowbird

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tuyop posted:

federal funding for higher ed is tied to how many university students reside in your province, not how many attend in your province.

residing, of course, being defined as a student’s permanent address. this rule made, somehow, by a government elected mostly in the regions that stand to gain from the arrangement.

Wait, what?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/federal-transfers/canada-social-transfer.html

quote:

What is the Canada Social Transfer (CST)?

The Canada Social Transfer, or the CST, is the third largest federal block transfer to provinces and territories (after the Canada Health Transfer and Equalization) that is intended to support three broad areas of social programs: post-secondary education, social assistance and social services, and early childhood development and early learning and childcare.

The CST is allocated on an equal per capita cash basis to provide comparable treatment for all Canadians, regardless of where they live.

Since 2009–10, CST funding has been legislated to grow by three per cent annually.
The CST is provided to provinces and territories on a largely unconditional basis with the exception of minimum residency requirements in the provision of social assistance. The provinces and territories are not required to report on how CST funds are disbursed.

Pursuant to the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act, the federal government can withhold CST cash payments if a province or territory imposes waiting periods for social assistance on Canadian citizens, permanent residents, protected persons who have not yet obtained permanent resident status, and victims of human trafficking who hold temporary resident permits.

To date, the federal government has not applied a penalty or withheld CST cash payments to a province or territory.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So is it saying that because everybody wants to study at the elite Ontario schools, the other provinces get cash for students that are currently attending UofT?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
here’s the formula as well. since it’s based almost entirely on resident population, the cst functions to funnel education funding out of have-not provinces into have provinces. https://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/bp381-e.htm#A.%20Calculationtxt

so if 1000 students from Ontario leave and study at UNB for some reason, Ontario gets the equivalent CST payment for those 1000 students, while their universities now have 1000 fewer students to serve so that money goes 1000 students farther. most students in the maritimes can’t afford to go elsewhere for school so the, say, 1000 students from Moncton going to UNB now have to split their CST funding with the Ontarians visiting for their degree.

there are some attempts to address this inequality by giving lovely provinces higher per-capita transfers, but the whole set of assumptions on which the system is based is flawed.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

1000 students attend School in NB, NB gets payments for 1000 students. Doesn't matter where they live.

Bing bong pay my consulting fee Trudump

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tuyop posted:

here’s the formula as well. since it’s based almost entirely on resident population, the cst functions to funnel education funding out of have-not provinces into have provinces. https://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/bp381-e.htm#A.%20Calculationtxt

so if 1000 students from Ontario leave and study at UNB for some reason, Ontario gets the equivalent CST payment for those 1000 students, while their universities now have 1000 fewer students to serve so that money goes 1000 students farther. most students in the maritimes can’t afford to go elsewhere for school so the, say, 1000 students from Moncton going to UNB now have to split their CST funding with the Ontarians visiting for their degree.

there are some attempts to address this inequality by giving lovely provinces higher per-capita transfers, but the whole set of assumptions on which the system is based is flawed.

let's not forget that out of province students studying in Onterrible get charged insane tuition (Thanks Mike Harris!) so the universities aren't the ones losing out on any cash.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bilirubin posted:

let's not forget that out of province students studying in Onterrible get charged insane tuition (Thanks Mike Harris!) so the universities aren't the ones losing out on any cash.

lol wait until you find out what Quebecois born students pay vs out of province

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Isizzlehorn posted:

1000 students attend School in NB, NB gets payments for 1000 students. Doesn't matter where they live.

Bing bong pay my consulting fee Trudump

counterpoint: NB is neither ON nor QC so you’re fired

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

have those have not provinces tried having?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

every province that is not BC or Quebec is fake and bullshit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Juul-Whip posted:

have those have not provinces tried having?

yeah, a couple times.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

They are here for sure, that is what drove the cost of living up. However, a bunch went back after winter, and tons of speculators bought everything on the market last year. Almost every listing I've looked at the last few months was purchased last year, and is now listed at least 10k under what they paid. I'm going to wait until January and then start lowballing speculators.

A friend of mine has some clients that are professional landlords, with a large portfolio of apartments and detached homes etc and he said that through 2021/2022 they pretty much entirely stopped doing any deals at all in BC and Ontario because it no longer made any financial sense whatsoever, and their entire investment focus of all these BC property investors honed in on New Brunswick and PEI. Apparently this was pretty common.

Femtosecond has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Jul 28, 2023

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
good test of "malice or incompetence"

edit: the federal post-secondary funding formula I mean

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

good test of "malice or incompetence"

edit: the federal post-secondary funding formula I mean

I prefer "the purpose of a system is what it does" in this case

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

tuyop posted:

I prefer "the purpose of a system is what it does" in this case

oh for sure. a "mistake" benefitting an atlantic province would be corrected in no time

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another Bill posted:

Yeah in that case though the province is not really able to raise tuition on the in province students lest they revolt again, and so funds to universities are constrained, so all out of province students get to pay for everything needed! For US based students, its still a really good deal

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
where outside Quebec have the students done anything when the tuition gets raised? has it been successful?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Another Bill posted:

It kinda rules that Ontarians going to McGill and Concordia for their future jobs in the LPC have to pay insane tuition to get that pedigree though.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I think when I was at Concordia I was paying $210/class and les Autres were in the $800-1000/class range. I couldn't believe it then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Quebec is so cool about some things i love it

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Bill posted:

Quebec is the only thing even approaching a society in north america lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

La Louve Rouge posted:

a true society is incredibly racist so this checks out

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I could swear Québec used to be less racist.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Frosted Flake posted:

It kinda rules that Ontarians going to McGill and Concordia for their future jobs in the LPC have to pay insane tuition to get that pedigree though.
I mean, I went to and flunked outta U of O, but like I was the only one who said "Hoyl gently caress we are terrible" and jumped to another career path entirely so YMMV

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

La Louve Rouge posted:

they do with the catch that they’re still captured by boomer brain. the people who run stuff realize that infrastructure is necessary so you’re getting subway and trains and buses and power plants but also culture war bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I could swear Québec used to be less racist.

username/post combo

What the gently caress is FRENCH

this is western alienation