Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is having children morally evil
This poll is closed.
Yes. 57 55.34%
No. 46 44.66%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

if we got the technology up and running, is the morality of having children affected by the concept of an artificial womb? like more children = more ethical, is the vibe im gathering here, so logically we should be cranking that dial all the way to the right and producing as many children as possible as fast as possible. itd help make up for all the slackers who aren't having children, and the children who are going to get lost during the various dooms, so it seems like a no brainer.

just big matrix battery looking towers menacing with spikes of ethics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Stereotype posted:

if you are pregnant and want an abortion just mouth off to a cop and their resulting violent reaction will probably take care of it

thinking this might be epic

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Stereotype posted:

if you are pregnant and want an abortion just mouth off to a cop and their resulting violent reaction will probably take care of it

you’ll be charged for it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

It is now morally good to destroy life, but morally evil to create life?

nobody said that?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

VideoKid posted:

Just because healthcare is free doesn’t mean that you have to take advantage of it. You’re still free to not go to the dr or get vaccinated or whatever.

But it's not free, the country pools together resources from taxes in order to pay for it. Your very financial livelihood could be intruded upon and violated to pay for something you don't want to participate in. It's still an intrusion on your bodily autonomy, just abstracted.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately there's no way I can see you overcoming this, VideoKid. Concede the argument and admit I won.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i didnt read the thread but i think its important to understand that a human infant doesnt have a soul until like 6-20 months after being born. there's nothing wrong with infants taking a short or long time to develop a soul, but to be safe we could probably just put the cut-off at 3 months old imho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s not true, you get a soul at conception

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Stereotype posted:

The hits keep coming itt

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

stumblebum posted:

i didnt read the thread but i think its important to understand that a human infant doesnt have a soul until like 6-20 months after being born. there's nothing wrong with infants taking a short or long time to develop a soul, but to be safe we could probably just put the cut-off at 3 months old imho

play death stranding

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

stumblebum posted:

You're going to have to back this up with some citations very quickly or I'm afraid I'll be hitting that report button.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i'm on mobile so i can't vote no

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Badactura posted:

What does it being legal have to do w morality?

can i take one of your organs? 23andme sold their DNA data to a third party firm which matches prospective candidates and you only need one kidney anyway, you're morally obligated to give it to me right? i will die without a kidney and you've got a spare. you're morally obligated to share the use of your body to preserve life, i think is the claim, right?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

i'm on mobile so i can't vote no

the correct answers are yes and 5

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

celadon posted:

can i take one of your organs? 23andme sold their DNA data to a third party firm which matches prospective candidates and you only need one kidney anyway, you're morally obligated to give it to me right? i will die without a kidney and you've got a spare. you're morally obligated to share the use of your body to preserve life, i think is the claim, right?

No I was asking why something being legal matters in a moral discussion

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

euphronius posted:

buddy most people dont "get" soul until they're 30s

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

You're going to have to back this up with some citations very quickly or I'm afraid I'll be hitting that report button.

it's called the bible, look it up

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Unfortunately there's no way I can see you overcoming this, VideoKid. Concede the argument and admit I won.

I refuse. I’m already forced to pay for things I find morally reprehensible via my taxes. The least the federal government could do is pay for my medication.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

croup coughfield posted:

the one unresolved question i have is who is flaps confusing me with

idk ive been trying to figure out who you are a rereg of this whole time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

wrong again, the fetus has to be quickened first. the bible is very clear on this

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

VideoKid posted:

I refuse. I’m already forced to pay for things I find morally reprehensible via my taxes. The least the federal government could do is pay for my medication.

as a compromise we should shift the majority of the tax burden onto infants. they cant say no and most of them have their whole lives to pay for it

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

VideoKid posted:

So you openly admit the government violates your very own autonomy into paying for things you don't want. Think about the person who doesn't want to pay for healthcare for a change.

You lost and the spoils of victory belong to me.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Al! posted:

wrong again, the fetus has to be quickened first. the bible is very clear on this

I got into a fight with a Catholic guy outside a planned Parenthood about this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Al! posted:

jewel repetition

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lumpentroll posted:

jewel repetition

that would be an incredible glow up

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Badactura posted:

No I was asking why something being legal matters in a moral discussion

its a reasonable starting point rather than trying to build up a system of ethics from first principles in a shitposting thread

like oh, heres the way things currently are legally constructed, these are some conflicts or hypocrisies that reveal underlying tensions, these are ways other situations resolve or worsen those issues, etc. i don't think its the end all be all but as a first start people generally are more familiar with laws than metaphysics i think, especially on a politics subforum.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

regged the same day bernie dropped out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

VideoKid posted:

The fetus’s consent is irrelevant.
Now you understand.

croup coughfield posted:

hosed up to have kids. but me? ill spend all my time and money raising the kids of some guy who plowed my girl

:negative:

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

So you openly admit the government violates your very own autonomy into paying for things you don't want. Think about the person who doesn't want to pay for healthcare for a change.

You lost and the spoils of victory belong to me.

so you would rather give more cluster bombs to Ukraine than pay for my lifesaving medicine? Go back to D&D.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

celadon posted:

its a reasonable starting point rather than trying to build up a system of ethics from first principles in a shitposting thread

like oh, heres the way things currently are legally constructed, these are some conflicts or hypocrisies that reveal underlying tensions, these are ways other situations resolve or worsen those issues, etc. i don't think its the end all be all but as a first start people generally are more familiar with laws than metaphysics i think, especially on a politics subforum.

I got some underlying tension for you: 🖕

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Now you understand.

wait are you a step grandpa

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!

Al! posted:

i doubt youd recognize the names or the posts. no one cared who i was until i put on the mask...

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

celadon posted:

I disagree because the legal system is just stealth protestantism. It's probably better to explain why you personally think things are good or bad

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

DaysBefore posted:

I got some underlying tension for you: 🖕

argh, right in the priors ::clutches heart, dies::

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Now you understand.

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

stumblebum posted:

they only get a soul at the age of majority, the government gives people souls

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lol. Mentally loving unhinged thread on all sides

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Poppers posted:

Lol. Mentally loving unhinged thread on all sides

yeah it’s very good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Al! posted:

[right before the permaban] oh so youre saying its not ok to do it if the fetus was dog sized and in your yard???

Lol

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don’t know don’t care. Unlike you, I never jerked off to drawings of underage children. You should be the last person to be allowed around kids.

Lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

they only get a soul at the age of majority, the government gives people souls

they give you your soul sooner if you enlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
minors are like your guy in ds1 locked ip in prison (home). the bird=drivers liscense and estrus=alcohol. swords and poo poo are the same