Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

My favourite is when “chaos magick” appears as a focus. Because M20 is a game about chaos magic being real but nobody knows it. And some of the Traditions are outright chaos magicians. And, still, somehow, it was necessary to note that like half the Traditions and Crafts ones can do magic within their paradigm by explicitly using chaos magic.

Yeah, I also like it where they talk about how the Verbena use 'practical tools dating back to antiquity' like 'cybernetics' and, oops, 'chaos magick' and whatever the 'Art of Desire' is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The art of desire is a legit thing. The best read on it is probably Eros and Magic in the Renaissance, which I highly recommend to anyone running Sorcerer's Crusade.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Five Eyes posted:

Without getting into it, the Etherites are the Pooka and Orphans are often the Malks.

Oh no, do get into it!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently today's the 20th anniversary of the announcement that White Wolf was ending the World of Darkness with the Time of Judgement.

You know

If you want to feel absolutely loving ancient.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Time of Judgment 20th Anniversary Edition!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
We're bringing V20 to a close, and soon will be announcing V30 Anniversary Editions or whatever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Etherites have their own scientific magazine where they apply the scientific method to magic, it's great.

Okay so we know the Hermetics can throw fireballs, how does it work and how can we replicate it?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Etherites have their own scientific magazine where they apply the scientific method to magic, it's great.

Okay so we know the Hermetics can throw fireballs, how does it work and how can we replicate it?

Hermetic heads are just shaped different

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Forces 3, Prime 2, probably chanting Enochian.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Loomer posted:

The art of desire is a legit thing. The best read on it is probably Eros and Magic in the Renaissance, which I highly recommend to anyone running Sorcerer's Crusade.

I'm not surprised, but I think the actual problem is more that Goat Man writes without ever stopping to wonder if anyone else knows what he's talking about. What the various ratings of M20's Research skill do are mapped to fairly detailed knowledge of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and another expects you to have watched Big Trouble In Little China. Just straight-up not explaining what Art of Desire is or does is very much a Brucato thing. "Gutter magick" has the same problem.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's just not actually practical to base your Mage splats first and foremost around which yantras each group prefers. You run into all the historic and cultural (mis)categorization problems explored in this thread's past couple pages and end up turning the actually game-relevant characteristics of a given mage character (what kind of magic they're good or bad at and what political or strategic focus they devote that magic to) as arbitrarily and often contentiously stapled-on afterthoughts.

Whence the Traditions' memetic purchase despite all these problems? Oops, they're yet another oWoD proxy for race!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fair, but everyone really should watch Big Trouble in Little China and then listen the commentary track.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not surprised, but I think the actual problem is more that Goat Man writes without ever stopping to wonder if anyone else knows what he's talking about. What the various ratings of M20's Research skill do are mapped to fairly detailed knowledge of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and another expects you to have watched Big Trouble In Little China. Just straight-up not explaining what Art of Desire is or does is very much a Brucato thing. "Gutter magick" has the same problem.

I'm also extremely fuzzy on "crazy wisdom."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soonmot posted:

Fair, but everyone really should watch Big Trouble in Little China and then listen the commentary track.
This is ideology.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Soonmot posted:

I will endorse this paradigm.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Loomer, your Scottish Presbyterian Euthanatos sect is cool as hell. Does their spellcasting just look like prayer or do they incorporate any of the less catholic folk magic practices from Scotland?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

This is ideology.

And the deleted scenes. Seeing the Lords of Death* get what was coming to was satisfying.

*Street gang, punks from Chinatown.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I'm also extremely fuzzy on "crazy wisdom."

It’s not explained at all, but broadly it’s the concept of a kind of religious or divine mania, and more narrowly it relates to Tibetan Buddhist Chögyam Trungpa’s teachings, which "traditionally combines exceptional insight and impressive magical power with a flamboyant disregard for conventional behavior."

But if I wanted to be mean I’d say it’s in the book because it lets you pretend walking around naked gives you magic powers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

And the deleted scenes. Seeing the Lords of Death* get what was coming to was satisfying.

*Street gang, punks from Chinatown.

I have an autographed pic of James Hong as Lo Pan that a kind goon picked up for me at a convention about ten years ago. I love that movie. Yo, Is this Racist had a good episode on it too and it was really cool to hear Chinese Americans talk about the movie and what it does right and the mistakes it makes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

It’s not explained at all, but broadly it’s the concept of a kind of religious or divine mania, and more narrowly it relates to Tibetan Buddhist Chögyam Trungpa’s teachings, which "traditionally combines exceptional insight and impressive magical power with a flamboyant disregard for conventional behavior."

Interesting! I do wish Brucato would explain this stuff but I assume he thinks a 'true seeker' would find it out or whatever.

LatwPIAT posted:

But if I wanted to be mean I’d say it’s in the book because it lets you pretend walking around naked gives you magic powers.

LOL. Get owned, Goat Boy.

Especially because I had to read about the sample character in M20, which is a 16-year-old girl with two dots in Seduction aaaaaaah.

Soonmot posted:

I have an autographed pic of James Hong as Lo Pan that a kind goon picked up for me at a convention about ten years ago. I love that movie. Yo, Is this Racist had a good episode on it too and it was really cool to hear Chinese Americans talk about the movie and what it does right and the mistakes it makes.

The Asian people of my acquaintance while saying it's not perfect by any means also 100% recognize immediately Jack's the comedic sidekick and respect the movie for that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dawgstar posted:

The Asian people of my acquaintance while saying it's not perfect by any means also 100% recognize immediately Jack's the comedic sidekick and respect the movie for that.

That was the best part of the whole thing, coupled with his firm belief that he's the main guy.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

It's this, we all know it's this because he's a creepy nerd.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

LatwPIAT posted:

But if I wanted to be mean I’d say it’s in the book because it lets you pretend walking around barefoot gives you magic powers.

This being Brucato

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

LatwPIAT posted:

But if I wanted to be mean I’d say it’s in the book because it lets you pretend walking around naked sky-clad gives you magic powers.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

LatwPIAT posted:

To be fair, this was pretty much Chögyam Trungpa’s real-life philosophy, including forcing it on others whether they wanted to or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%B6gyam_Trungpa#Controversies posted:

At the Halloween party, after many, including Trungpa himself, had taken off their clothes, Merwin was asked to join in but refused. On Trungpa's orders, his Vajra Guard forced entry into Merwin's locked and barricaded room; brought him and his girlfriend, Dana Naone, against their will, to the party; and eventually stripped them of their clothes, with onlookers ignoring Naone's pleas for help and for someone to call the police.[90]

Crazy wisdom, straight from the originator.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

SimonChris posted:

To be fair, this was pretty much Chögyam Trungpa’s real-life philosophy, including forcing it on others whether they wanted to or not.

Crazy wisdom, straight from the originator.
I remember one of the older WoD books going deep into explaining IRL magickal practices, and how vampires by their nature being parasites removed from the natural order magically resonate with principles like Violation and Taboo*; it’s easier to do rituals that incorporate doing disgusting things to people against their will, because in a very real sense that’s what a vampire is

Which is logical and true and also now I’m convinced was some writer’s gross fetish

*and of course also Blood and Death and Fear and such

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Especially because I had to read about the sample character in M20, which is a 16-year-old girl with two dots in Seduction aaaaaaah.

That's... literally Brucato's fetish. It's in most of his books.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Kurieg posted:

That's... literally Brucato's fetish. It's in most of his books.

Was she also described with dirty blonde hair and barefoot? Like, seriously, I wish I could unlearn the poo poo I learned when I read his 'magical drug-fueled music' RPG.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Soonmot posted:

It's probably still one of the Hollywood movies with the most asian-american cast members.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MoonKnight posted:

Was she also described with dirty blonde hair and barefoot? Like, seriously, I wish I could unlearn the poo poo I learned when I read his 'magical drug-fueled music' RPG.

Surprisingly not, but it's still very fetishy. She's described as, basically, a street kid but makes it look good. And she wears a utilikilt which shouldn't make me laugh but does.

Anyway, on this august anniversary, treat yourself to the Time of Judgement news ticker: http://web.archive.org/web/20060614004934/http://www.timeofjudgment.com/newsticker.html

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Surprisingly not, but it's still very fetishy. She's described as, basically, a street kid but makes it look good. And she wears a utilikilt which shouldn't make me laugh but does.

It is very important that we get to know she had a threesome with her girlfriend and her boyfriend, though. It’s literally the first part of her description.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

It is very important that we get to know she had a threesome with her girlfriend and her boyfriend, though. It’s literally the first part of her description.

BRUCATO!!!! :argh:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah teens never do any of that stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

"Which is why the new dots of Seduction :smugdog:" - Brucato

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

"Which is why the new dots of Seduction :smugdog:" - Brucato

I'm pretty sure I got at least one comment in about him being a perv and yelling at him for being an obnoxious new age nerdlinger in the Book of Chantries review I'm working on currently. I'm not explicitly trying to dunk on the dude, but I'll take my shots where I can.

Also he gets dunked on 3 times in the "Special Thanks" section of the book which is :discourse:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Save us from nerds who think their horrible fetishes give them magical powers. At least the wizard meme guys were self depreciating. Sorta.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Loomer, your Scottish Presbyterian Euthanatos sect is cool as hell. Does their spellcasting just look like prayer or do they incorporate any of the less catholic folk magic practices from Scotland?

It depends on how doctrinally rigid any given one is - some view all Crofter superstition as borderline blasphemy and wouldn't necessarily have been out of place in the Cabal of Pure Thought, but others are a little more flexible, echoing the way the Presbyterian movement tends to handle specific worship. The 'average' Dour Euthanatos is principally focused on prayer (invocations of the various curses and also Samson's trials being quite common) but alloys it in private and unguarded moments of personal weakness with varyingly sacred/profane/blasphemous trinkets - a painted pebble from a healing well, a wool luck charm spun by his sister who is a good and godly woman, a preserved caul, a piece of an idol if they're feeling a little Catholic - and from time to time, a dram or two of whisky, which not for nothing is called the water of life (specifically: its a good healing focus). They also like labyrinths, not because of the Black Spiral, but because of their utility as a means of meditation, so their chantries and houses often feature small fieldstone labyrinths nearby to pace in.

The most complex part is their shared understanding of their relationship to salvation, which only God can give by inspiring the sinner to seek his love - basically, as blasphemous as it sounds to outsiders, they usually understand themselves to be charged by God and Christ to be the messenger of that opportunity unto the most severe sinner. Where it is rejected, to act as the strong right arm and go all Romans 12:19 - 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord' on said sinners. Basically - 'You massacred a hundred men, and God has sent half those men to beseech me for aid. Pray with me for salvation, or I'll cut your goddamn head off. I might still cut it off if God says to while we're praying, mind, but if you don't pray I will most certainly strike it from your shoulders.' Hence their somewhat ambiguous and fraught relationship with the two traditions they might fit in - the Euthanatos 'proper' take one look and go 'oh cool rabid christians you can go over there, we really don't have that much in common, you know, doctrinally' and the Chorus respond 'gently caress no we don't want that maniac he's waving a goddamn sickle about and he just beat a murderer to death with their own bible while shouting that the wages of sin are death, you take him'.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

LatwPIAT posted:

To be honest, I rather suspect that Brucato's real knowledge of the Art of Desire is rather limited and he might just have meant it in his usual, uh, deeply concerning sense. Its not really a Verbena-esque affair, which is the tell.

You're dead on about his tendency to assume too much familiarity with things. I think its him attempting and failing to be gnomic, because everyone knows that the more gnomic your game design, the better it is.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dawgstar posted:

Anyway, on this august anniversary, treat yourself to the Time of Judgement news ticker: http://web.archive.org/web/20060614004934/http://www.timeofjudgment.com/newsticker.html

Gonna run down (up) this ticker from the start (bottom) and pick out ones that could be fun hooks divorced from context (or newly imbued with entirely different context) in a Chronicles game, in the spirit of "rumors in the style of Unknown Armies"

quote:

Boston Mom Says Daughter ‘Taken by Angel’
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS—Six-year-old Valerie Mason has been missing for the last 72 hours, after allegedly being abducted during church services in suburban Boston. "She ran into the vestry during Mass," said 26-year-old single mother Anna Mason, "and I chased after her to stop her." Ms. Mason then related that an "angel" flew in through a stained glass window to "take her little girl to Heaven." Ms. Mason has refused to answer any further questions from police, claiming that Valerie is "with the angels now." Search for the missing child continues. The mother has been admitted to Harborview Psychiatric Facility for psychological evaluation.

quote:

Crescent Birthmarks Common in LA, Doctors Say
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA—According to sources at the Los Angeles County Board of Health, doctors at area hospitals have reported an uncommon number of crescent-shaped birthmarks appearing on female infants born within the past two weeks.

quote:

Boston Area Firm Paying Dividends to Dead Men
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS—Independent auditors hired to review the accounting ledgers of investment company Moribund & Smirch today reported that they had turned up a rash of acute anomalies. More than 100 of the company’s shareholders, who were issued dividend checks that bank records show as having been paid, are recorded as legally dead, some for as many as 100 years.

quote:

Fatal Wounds Spell Out Ancient Text
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND—Visiting Nigerian Bishop Jude Bankole Kuti collapsed today in the middle of a speech to local faith groups. Kuti died minutes after paramedics discovered multiple lacerations on his skin, carvings of Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew phrases. Six members of the audience reportedly suffered similar but non-lethal wounds. Four fled the scene. Linguists summoned by the city's medical examiners have translated the phrases into fragments of Gnostic scripture dating from the 1st to 5th centuries AD. The most common injury reads: "What binds me has been slain/and what turns me about has been overcome/and my desire has been ended/and ignorance has died."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah teens never do any of that stuff.

It's less that and more a skeezy old whizzard hippie shouldn't be writing about that poo poo. Especially when he's very publicly put his fetishes out there.