Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ofecks posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The Misc. Shoujo, Josei, & Romance Thread: what to do with girlfriend

Just an idea I had all of a sudden: This story could be easily adaptable to a live-action USA version between 2 kids from evangelical christian households. They are so incredibly modest.

Nah, too emotional. American Evangelicals do not even like the idea of hugging and handholding, let alone someone like Ai who is so outgoing, that's frowned upon.

Evangelicals suck big time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Still Sick
Still sick is pretty special. I loved the meta aspects of the premise (moonlighting yuri doujinshi artist is found out by a coworker who stumbled onto her booth at a con), how it explores the characters' creative processes, and the realities of being a mangaka. It's a really engaging overarching storyline and backdrop for the 2 MCs. I think basically every aspect of the manga otherwise is top tier, the art & character designs, character themselves, writing, the drama and development. It's funny, it's emotional, it's informative, it's cute. It's relatively short but doesn't feel too short. Kinda feels like required reading tbh, can't recommend it enough.

Kininatteru Hito ga Otoko Jyanakatta
This manga has a serious sense of style. I absolutely adore the art and character designs, and the focus on western 90s rock/grunge aesthetic is definitely a unique character hook. It's cute and pretty fluffy, well written, the characters are all endearing. It's definitely a slow burn relationship drama, but it's also a weekly 4 page passion project free on twitter (though It's had a few paid side stories through Moonlight magazine and another source). It's ongoing but with 52 chapters out, it's got a good amount of stuff to read already. Really liked it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
let's loving gooooo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ran into this one today: 'This Chubby Girl Can't Stop Acting Impishly'

https://mangadex.org/title/cd5260e2-e76d-4f85-932f-fc4656b554ed/this-chubby-girl-can-t-stop-acting-impishly

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am begging for the world to go back to when the titles of things weren't just a statement of the premise

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

i am begging for the world to go back to when the titles of things weren't just a statement of the premise
I'm actually growing more cool with stories letting me know if I should or should not read them with just the title. Just don't go overboard with it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kidcoelacanth posted:

I mean, it's what books used to be, we're just returning back to tradition.

Books used to be name like "A long running and most thorough examination of the principles of motion of floating objects through a canal following the crash of a ship: A collection of objects found from said wreckages by the illustrious author."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

old books are bull poo poo too then :colbert:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

kidcoelacanth posted:

heres two for you i guess

The Moon on a Rainy Night
Moon on a Rainy Night is pretty brooding. It's got a lot of melodrama (not in a bad way), characters monologue a lot, it's kind of overdramatic. It's reminiscent of a lot of older romance anime I've seen in that way, I guess you could say it's a mood. At the same time it handles one of the MCs having a disability - being hearing impaired, quite gracefully. It's informative without feeling clinical, it handles it mostly with care and respect. A lot of the story and character drama revolves around it, but it doesn't feel tokenized. I also never thought in my life I'd see the equity vs. equality infocomic (this) used in a manga, but I have now. Definitely wasn't on my bingo card. I wouldn't describe this as fluffy at all. It's also not depressing or anything but it is pretty heavily enshrouded by gay teen girl malaise and it's probably (I say probably because the tl'd portion is 6-8 chapters behind the raws, so I don't know!) a slowburn. I like that one of the MCs at least knows they are gay as hell. They aren't discovering their feelings as much as they are navigating how to, or if they should express them. The art is really striking as well, and the character designs are very good. In any case, it seems like the TL for this may have dropped it unfortunately. It's worth checking out, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Hopefully someone picks it back up.

Ano Ko ni Kiss to Shirayuri wo/Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl
I don't even know where to start exactly with Kiss/lily. It's kind of a wild manga. It has everything. Unrequited love, requited love, senpai/kouhai, polycules, sports, aro/ace, council elections, school politics, love/hate, slow burns, quick loves, breakups, reconciliation, tsunderes, yanderes, kuuderes, derederes. It has approximately 8903 gay as hell characters and every volume is dedicated to ~2 different couples with the occasional sprinkling of previous volumes couples or the main characters drama in each. It's basically a yuri soap opera. It's not particularly deep, the world outside of the school basically doesn't exist, there is no societal pressure/taboo about being gay. The drama is mostly superficial although some of the stories and beats are touching, and it does have some deeper character writing (mostly for the MCs, but occasionally for the side characters). Most of the characters are very likeable, some are great. The main problem I had is remembering who someone is when they inevitably show up again later, as the author only has 4 faces for all 493 of them. There's probably something for everyone in this manga and I mean that both literally and figuratively. I'm a little unsure about exactly how I feel about it as a whole. I think mostly because there is just so much. It's up and down depending on your tastes, but I couldn't really put it down after starting it so I guess that's a good sign.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 27, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

you and i are polar opposites chapter 36, shared sentiments

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
oh i guess the new volume of how do we relationship? came out today

it's wild that they're simulpubing it but are still like 4? months away from catching up to where the simulpubs start

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

me when

me when you and i are polar opposites chapter 36

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Art question: Anyone else get the feeling that this artist got a lot of inspiration from calarts/modern western animation circa 2010-2015? Lotta wiggly limbs, cartoony anatomy for comedy....

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Tabletops posted:

heres two for you i guess

The Moon on a Rainy Night
Moon on a Rainy Night is pretty brooding. It's got a lot of melodrama (not in a bad way), characters monologue a lot, it's kind of overdramatic. It's reminiscent of a lot of older romance anime I've seen in that way, I guess you could say it's a mood. At the same time it handles one of the MCs having a disability - being hearing impaired, quite gracefully. It's informative without feeling clinical, it handles it mostly with care and respect. A lot of the story and character drama revolves around it, but it doesn't feel tokenized. I also never thought in my life I'd see the equity vs. equality infocomic (this) used in a manga, but I have now. Definitely wasn't on my bingo card. I wouldn't describe this as fluffy at all. It's also not depressing or anything but it is pretty heavily enshrouded by gay teen girl malaise and it's probably (I say probably because the tl'd portion is 6-8 chapters behind the raws, so I don't know!) a slowburn. I like that one of the MCs at least knows they are gay as hell. They aren't discovering their feelings as much as they are navigating how to, or if they should express them. The art is really striking as well, and the character designs are very good. In any case, it seems like the TL for this may have dropped it unfortunately. It's worth checking out, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Hopefully someone picks it back up.

I read this one after liking the author's other work (Living With My Brother's Wife) a lot. I don't have too much to add what you said other than I also liked it and that, of the striking and beautiful art, I absolutely adore this panel:

Also getting a physical release in September!

edit: though lol what are these SHOES

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RuBisCO posted:

I read this one after liking the author's other work (Living With My Brother's Wife) a lot. I don't have too much to add what you said other than I also liked it and that, of the striking and beautiful art, I absolutely adore this panel:

Girl's got the KH fit

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

RuBisCO posted:

one of my favorites from it

I didn't know it was getting a physical release, that's great. deserves one!

also yes, what are those?! etc

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just read through what's available of this and i like it a lot. especially compared to living with my brother's wife, which i dropped after roughly 200 chapters because it just seemed to be spinning its wheels forever

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Art question: Anyone else get the feeling that this artist got a lot of inspiration from calarts/modern western animation circa 2010-2015? Lotta wiggly limbs, cartoony anatomy for comedy....

the author seems to be a fan of western stuff, they went to a disney movie on the date in chapter 3 and marvel was referenced when nabe was going around slamming her frozen sports drink (that could just be something the translator added though)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I enjoyed this a fair bit, it's not perfect but the almost anthological structure means that it's a nice mixed platter, most of which I like, and the bits I didn't particularly like don't stick around for long.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ToxicFrog posted:

I enjoyed this a fair bit, it's not perfect but the almost anthological structure means that it's a nice mixed platter, most of which I like, and the bits I didn't particularly like don't stick around for long.

Pretty much. I think theres something for everyone in it, and like you said the stories I didn't enjoy as much aren't super long and I guess you could skip them if you really wanted. I felt compelled to read them just because all the characters cross polinate and it helped with remembering who was who... a little.

kidcoelacanth posted:

just read through what's available of this and i like it a lot. especially compared to living with my brother's wife, which i dropped after roughly 200 chapters because it just seemed to be spinning its wheels forever

Same! really hope someone picks it up to TL.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Have some spooky romance: 'Even if you Slit My Mouth'

https://mangadex.org/title/94bfc769-f5e5-4f88-838c-4f69e7a663c2/kuchi-ga-saketemo-kimi-ni-wa

TL;DR: "Miroku-san, the slit-mouth woman, is to marry high school student Kouichi to maintain her existence as his family has been in charge of upkeeping superstitions for generations. To add, there seems to be another reason that he seems more than willing…"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Blooming Love chapter 10 just dropped and they already confessed and held hands! Also dragged drunk grandad back from the pub

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Blooming Love chapter 10 just dropped and they already confessed and held hands! Also dragged drunk grandad back from the pub

Hey now, Grandad told him to take care of her, he's gonna do so.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the penultimate insomniacs chapter:

https://www.viz.com/vizmanga/insomniacs-after-school-chapter-124/chapter/39727?action=read

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tsurezure Biyori
It's a really great, fluffy and cute slice of life with a mild yuri story. The art and character designs are top loving notch, especially the environmental/background detail and how she details character movement within space. It's really unfortunate how it ends so suddenly, according to the author they were overwhelmed with serialization and didn't know how to continue the story. The seven seas volumes have an omake at the end that kinda ties it up a bit better than the original magazine release, so I'd suggest reading that as opposed to the mangadex tl (also the official tl is better I think). make sure you check out the few twitter extras on mangadex that aren't in the volume releases though, they're pretty necessary I think! It's maybe a ~2-4 hourish at roughly 500 pages. Like I said though, It's really cute and sweet and I enjoyed it a lot despite the sudden ending. Made an album of a few of my favorite panels.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 31, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of 'Hokkaido Girls are Super Adorable' dropped: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018304

He finally said it, and they finally kissed. Yay!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Not beating around the drumbush is appreciated in a romance series.

CommieGIR posted:

New chapter of 'Hokkaido Girls are Super Adorable' dropped: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018304

He finally said it, and they finally kissed. Yay!

This should have happened dozens of chapters ago when I still had interest in the story rather than adding more and more rival characters and meandering around the obvious pairing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

This should have happened dozens of chapters ago when I still had interest in the story rather than adding more and more rival characters and meandering around the obvious pairing.

Agreed, just glad it finally happened.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Wolf Girl is Trying to Feign Indifference is a cute romcom I've been enjoying. Its more on the fluff side of things, but the girl is cool and cute, the boy is endearingly goofy and you can see why someone would like him, and the side cast is fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chumbler posted:

The Wolf Girl is Trying to Feign Indifference is a cute romcom I've been enjoying. Its more on the fluff side of things, but the girl is cool and cute, the boy is endearingly goofy and you can see why someone would like him, and the side cast is fun.

Ooo, also a good one, been reading it as well.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Hana and Hina After School
Hana and Hina is a kind of by the numbers shojo romance in terms of plot/story arc. Though I think there is a lot of room to just execute on something so well that even if you're tired of genre tropes or the predictable A->B->C plot, it still lands extremely well. Hana and Hina was that for me. The character writing and development is good enough to make it not really matter. It's also relatively short at 19 chapters, which I think helped a lot as well. It kind of forces each arc or development to be resolved within the next couple chapters at most, which lead to a really satisfying pace. Perfect for a well trodden genre manga. The author manages to stick the landing extremely well, and it kind of just solidifies how well executed it was on a production level I guess. The character designs are very cute, the art is a simple but it stylistically fits very nicely. I don't think I really have anything bad to say about it. It was really good! I'd been meaning to read some of Morinaga Milks manga and this was the first. I'm not sure how I avoided it so far, given how prolific a yuri author she is. Girl Friends is the next of hers I'll be reading and I'm curious how they'll compare with the nearly 10 year gap between them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter for "The Dangers In My Heart" dropped
https://mangadex.org/chapter/3951cfdb-2536-431d-991e-852271c8c9b0/9

EDIT:

Also: New chapter of everyone's favorite deadpan romance 'Shiroyama & Mita':
https://mangadex.org/chapter/704381bb-2688-4a04-9779-dc000f3eeae7

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 4, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Found this today. When I returned to my hometown my childhood friend was broken

Like the title says, it's about a guy who returns to his hometown after being away for college and work. He meets his childhood friend who has completely changed her persona, and their relationship progresses from there. The title and tags had me prepared for things to get bad, but it is super cute and wholesome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

in a vacuum i might agree but in the context of it being one of about 50 "pov guy fixes mentally unwell girl by romancing her" in the last year it's just another of a gross trend imo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That's kinda how all that authors stories are.

It's not the worst personally, and the story is sweet. they get married and the latest chapter is them having a kid

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I wouldn't call "slowly dealing with mental issues by developing a relationship with a supportive person who genuinely cares about you and wants you to be happy" a gross trend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schubalts posted:

I wouldn't call "slowly dealing with mental issues by developing a relationship with a supportive person who genuinely cares about you and wants you to be happy" a gross trend.
The issue is that it can be that, but there's all too much risk of it being what kidcoelacanth mentioned - and unless you know the mangaka, you never really know which way it goes until the story is finished.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The issue is that it can be that, but there's all too much risk of it being what kidcoelacanth mentioned - and unless you know the mangaka, you never really know which way it goes until the story is finished.

I said this in another thread but you can absolutely trust Zyugoya on this kind of topic.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

clearly y'all don't browse r/manga to see all the bottom of the barrel poo poo that surfaces every day

might be a me problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

allow me to share some absolute trash, just so you know i'm not making things up

https://mangadex.org/title/17447693-cb65-493d-8e21-dafb22d8340f/azadarake-no-classmate-ga-shinpai