Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
At least one of the phishers uses an email header for allow-listing through the usual filters.

You can set up Outlook filters on those same email headers and send them straight to a folder, marked as read, read receipts off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

My org runs all emails through url filtering, so literally every link gets mangled to go through proofpoint.

The phishing tests do not do this. It's transparent as gently caress.

We've had the same thing happen.

Once, the group testing phishing emails were in a different access group for internet and they never tested with someone not in that group. Phishing email goes out, half the pictures don't load and clicking on the link gets a blocked message anyway.
One of the testers they had once mailed CD's to people asking them to put them in their computer. There is a single digit number of people in the company that have optical drives, and all of them are in IT.

Both tests were regarded as complete successes.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I think if you send goatse to someone while your in texas it's a criminal offense for sending unsolicited sexual pictures. I mean, if you assume that's somehow sexual.

e: i know this cause I'm currently under investigation for sending clam down some pictures and he called the cops on me.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 27, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Wizard of the Deep posted:

At least one of the phishers uses an email header for allow-listing through the usual filters.

You can set up Outlook filters on those same email headers and send them straight to a folder, marked as read, read receipts off.

I would do this for proofpoint but the exchange rules that I set up for it strip the header, unfortunately.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CitizenKain posted:

We've had the same thing happen.

Once, the group testing phishing emails were in a different access group for internet and they never tested with someone not in that group. Phishing email goes out, half the pictures don't load and clicking on the link gets a blocked message anyway.
One of the testers they had once mailed CD's to people asking them to put them in their computer. There is a single digit number of people in the company that have optical drives, and all of them are in IT.

Both tests were regarded as complete successes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I repeatedly stress to department chairs that they need to let me know 2 weeks in advance before new hires are starting so I can get equipment ordered and set up. No we do not just have laptops lying around. If I did, they'd already be cannibalized!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We order laptops in advance for new hires, but IT also keeps stacks of our standard models on hand, in case of fuckups. I think they order 50 laptops at a time :v:

This came in really handy during the pandemic, because our IT equipment ordering portal is a pile of poo poo and stuff didn't turn up (surprise, surprise).

I wound up with a T14s gen1 Ryzen with WWAN as a result, and it has been great.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We are simultaneously the most threadbare shoestring budget operation and the most flush with cash at the same time. It just depends on the department. I've finally just started telling leadership members that we can't support devices older than 5 years because they're no longer under warranty.

I kind of spoil my users by catering to them, but my group is one of the highest ranked in user satisfaction.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wibla posted:

We order laptops in advance for new hires, but IT also keeps stacks of our standard models on hand, in case of fuckups. I think they order 50 laptops at a time :v:

This came in really handy during the pandemic, because our IT equipment ordering portal is a pile of poo poo and stuff didn't turn up (surprise, surprise).

I wound up with a T14s gen1 Ryzen with WWAN as a result, and it has been great.

ThinkPads (high end enterprise models) have been nice and trouble free. Goons recommended that one when I showed the list of choices and it’s been great. The unique soft and durable casing material is I think my favorite of windows laptops.

My new client provided an entry spec M1 MBP and I already use one personally so I know it is very good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

I repeatedly stress to department chairs that they need to let me know 2 weeks in advance before new hires are starting so I can get equipment ordered and set up. No we do not just have laptops lying around. If I did, they'd already be cannibalized!
Why do department chairs need to handle part of an HRIS process? It seems pretty gonzo that you can't get triggered notifications on new hires

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Previous job I worked at, HR barely knew when folks started. Departments would hire their own folks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Previous job I worked at, HR barely knew when folks started. Departments would hire their own folks.
I can't see any situation in which HR not doing background checks on employees could possibly backfire

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

You’re giving me hives

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vulture Culture posted:

Why do department chairs need to handle part of an HRIS process? It seems pretty gonzo that you can't get triggered notifications on new hires

You're preaching to the choir here. There's been cases that people don't get their user IDs for like 2 days after they start. Which means they basically just sit around doing nothing.

The joys of $StateJob!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
on the other hand, gently caress HR. i have never worked with an HR department i wouldnt like to remove from every process i have to interact with them on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vulture Culture posted:

My HR loves to hire people with one week's notice and managers screw around approving hardware, so almost everyone ends up using a piece of poo poo loaner laptop for the first few weeks. I have a fleet of 3-year+ old laptops for this purpose. At one point during the pandemic, I had 40 loaners, and almost all of them were out on loan due to the lack of new hardware available. I still have like 40 loaners, but only about 20 of them are out at any given time (which is still ridiculous.)

I don't order new hardware - Purchasing does that (and controls distribution.) This is both a blessing and a curse.

edit:

i am a moron posted:

on the other hand, gently caress HR. i have never worked with an HR department i wouldnt like to remove from every process i have to interact with them on.

To make it even better, they're moving HR to my floor...
Thankfully, most of them are lazy asses who will WFH 100% of the time if they can get away with it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Darchangel posted:

My HR loves to hire people with one week's notice and managers screw around approving hardware, so almost everyone ends up using a piece of poo poo loaner laptop for the first few weeks. I have a fleet of 3-year+ old laptops for this purpose. At one point during the pandemic, I had 40 loaners, and almost all of them were out on loan due to the lack of new hardware available. I still have like 40 loaners, but only about 20 of them are out at any given time (which is still ridiculous.)

I don't order new hardware - Purchasing does that (and controls distribution.) This is both a blessing and a curse.

edit:

To make it even better, they're moving HR to my floor...
Thankfully, most of them are lazy asses who will WFH 100% of the time if they can get away with it.

I don't understand hardware approval. At all.

It's a new employee. They need to work. Everything I do is commissioned on the precept that our workers need to work.

Some may question my right to create a purchase order of a few thousands of dollars, but those who truly understand know I have no right to let employees not work :commissar:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I used to hate giving old hardware to new employees. All the money spent on hiring a new employee, plus their salary, etc, and oh here's your used laptop, welcome to the team. If you can afford a newhire, you can afford a 1500 dollar laptop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The issue I had is these stacks of laptops that are less than 1 year old that are used because an employee didnt work out. Are they supposed to be thrown away?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really see a problem handing out 1 year old laptops to a new hire, as long as the laptop isn't poo poo and someone actually wiped it down properly before it went in the pile.

3+ year old laptops tho? that's no bueno.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

The issue I had is these stacks of laptops that are less than 1 year old that are used because an employee didnt work out. Are they supposed to be thrown away?

No. They can be used to replace existing employees laptops that are getting old, loaners, spares. I'm not saying get rid of them at all. An existing employee with a 4 year old laptop would probably be pretty happy to get a less than 1 year old laptop as an upgrade.

Every org is different, all i'm saying is I didn't like giving out used equipment to people. I did it plenty of times

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Fair enough. Fortunately with my new job I don't touch new hires or setup their equipment.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

You're preaching to the choir here. There's been cases that people don't get their user IDs for like 2 days after they start. Which means they basically just sit around doing nothing.

The joys of $StateJob!
Yeah, okay, that also explains your problems with procuring loaners even though you obviously need them and the parts inside them

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’ve never understood the rush in getting people stuff. You could get me all my access and a laptop and a personal assistant and I still won’t do jack poo poo the first month. Or maybe even ever

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

lmao can't tell you how many times I've heard "we can't afford a $1400 computer!" then the next week I see $10k with of executive furniture being moved in a corner office. Priorities!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

i am a moron posted:

I’ve never understood the rush in getting people stuff. You could get me all my access and a laptop and a personal assistant and I still won’t do jack poo poo the first month. Or maybe even ever

This is the way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Depends how much of a problem is becomes. If you spent $20k a year on laptops for people you hire who don't stick around then you probably have a lot more people who *did* stick around, and it's not your money. Either roll them down to people or keep them as loaners like has been suggested, or find a place that will buy them off you so you're only out 50% of the purchase cost.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I ended up just giving them to new hires, as long as they didn't look like garbage.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
At my last job, my new manager had all my equipment and all my access ready and waiting on day 1 when I walked in the door. Compared to the poo poo shows of onboarding I have experienced in the past, that effort meant a lot. She ended up being a great boss, and it was an awesome team. Wish I could have taken them with me to $currentJob.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
User is now asking for a laptop done by Monday for user whose info won't be in by Friday

Going to let me coworker "discuss" it before responding but I had to run my first response thru an internal politepost process to get to something that's still on the grumpy side of professional

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This is from years and years ago but it was always a joy getting laptops back like this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like to think I'd at least clean stickers off my work machine before handing it back

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

At my last job, my new manager had all my equipment and all my access ready and waiting on day 1 when I walked in the door. Compared to the poo poo shows of onboarding I have experienced in the past, that effort meant a lot. She ended up being a great boss, and it was an awesome team. Wish I could have taken them with me to $currentJob.

Not shitposting - would deeply dislike someone if they did that to me. My favorite boss ever hit me up on teams the first day and was like ‘hey, I’m busy and I’m not gonna have any work for you for a few weeks. We’ll meet when we have something’. Also didn’t get any access til day 5.

Thanks Ants posted:

I like to think I'd at least clean stickers off my work machine before handing it back

I currently have four extra useless laptops because neither my employers or clients ask for them back. I figured it was the new thing just to say gently caress it and make users throw them away

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would be upset if I started somewhere and they gave me a used laptop. That's probably bad from a waste reduction standpoint, but people are disgusting and so are their laptops. I realize they're cleaned before being redistributed, but also, are they?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I wouldn't want to get used poo poo given to me as a new hire, it just sets the tone completely wrong. If it happens more than you can use as a loaner stock then run a system where employees can buy them off you for cheap to give their family a laptop or whatever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

E: How the hell did that double post

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell Im cleaning one right now!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

forgive me for blasphemy, but I have no clue why regular office workers would get assigned a Mac because they are loving impossible to get service on. I can understand if you are a dev or in A/V production, but an admin assistant does not need a Macbook Pro to get their job done.

Yes, I'll go above deck to the Captain's Mast so I can receive my forty lashes...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

forgive me for blasphemy, but I have no clue why regular office workers would get assigned a Mac because they are loving impossible to get service on. I can understand if you are a dev or in A/V production, but an admin assistant does not need a Macbook Pro to get their job done.

Yes, I'll go above deck to the Captain's Mast so I can receive my forty lashes...

I thought Apple was making a push into the enterprise space and support was better for hardware service?

I once spent 1/2 a day at the apple store with some VP's Macbook Pro like a long time ago. After that my boss told me if folks wanted a Mac we would not handle the hardware support on it. We bought AppleCare for them, but we're not dealing the Genius bar.

Hardware support has always been the issue for me when I was supporting workstations. Dell would have some dude in my office the next day fixing whatever is broken. Apple had no such service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If a company is managing Macs properly then it's no issue, though I'd argue it's the wrong platform if someone is expected to manage multiple calendars and the company uses Exchange, because Outlook on Mac is balls.

It's when one or two special people get Macs and nothing in the business has been tested to work on them and there are no plans to learn about integrating them, managing them or providing ongoing support that it turns into a poo poo show. You get things like a few C-levels insisting on Apple products and then refusing to buy any for the support team to be able to use to write documentation on or test fixes out with.