Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's essentially what they are, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
GAA2-1 is still a kind of tutorial case at least, even if it heavily leans on events from the first game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also known as a "sequel"

It was obviously planned from the beginning to be multiple games and was written with that in mind from the start (unlike the original trilogy), but there's no way it was ever going to be one game. It's just that they had very, very little budget to actually do everything they planned to once GAA1 released.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
For a split second, I thought Ghost Trick was referencing the "Turnabout/Guitar Serenade" case from Apollo Justice. :stare:

Looks like this was about "state secrets", not smuggling like in AJ.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Every Ace Attorney sequel is by and large standalone so the fact that GAA2 continues the ongoing plot established in GAA1 makes the experience extremely unique.

You just wouldn’t see the first murderer return to be the victim or have a recurring character turn out to be a killer/victim in any other Ace Attorney.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Every Ace Attorney sequel is by and large standalone so the fact that GAA2 continues the ongoing plot established in GAA1 makes the experience extremely unique.

You just wouldn’t see the first murderer return to be the victim or have a recurring character turn out to be a killer/victim in any other Ace Attorney.

I think you might want to rethink AA5 before redclaring the latter half of your sentence.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tesseraction posted:

I think you might want to rethink AA5 before redclaring the latter half of your sentence.

Unless I’m missing something huge, I’m talking about a recurring character over multiple games.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh okay fair enough. I guess I just think of GAA1/2 as a game that ended up being forced to split due to getting too big, like Legend of Heroes games.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd like to note for the original trilogy, Misty/Morgan being the victim/villain of the final case, but granted it is on a lesser scale.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd like to note for the original trilogy, Misty/Morgan being the victim/villain of the final case, but granted it is on a lesser scale.

That’s true and two of many reasons Bridge to the Turnabout is a badass experience

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ROFL Octopus posted:

That’s true and two of many reasons Bridge to the Turnabout is a badass experience

I've replayed it recently and I still feel like the first half of it is better than the back half.

Playing as Defender Edgeworth? Him going mental over 'Psycholocks'? And Franziska is a more fun antagonist than Godot in court. Like, the back half is good too, but it drags on just a little too long for me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like the real gold of the back half (T&T) is having Franziska as a sidekick for the investigation. It would never have ocurred to me as an option but she spends most of it being as big a goof as the others, which is adorable, and still pulls the occasional sharp insight, like being the only one to notice that Godot's "medical emergency" is an obvious cover story. Godot isn't even trying to be an antagonist for the trial until after you've exorcized Dahlia, at which point he's literally daring you to take him down to prove that you can succeed and surpass him, which is still my favorite final face-off.

Playing as Edgey is hype and fun, but I think the case keeps the momentum going all the way.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I still think 3-5 is probably the best case in the series, but mostly because it works so well as a capstone to the original trilogy and "I'm going to bring your magnificent vengeance to fruition, just as you want it." is a top 10 moment in all of gaming for me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, it's cool, but it's no GAA 2-3 tbh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've replayed it recently and I still feel like the first half of it is better than the back half.

Playing as Defender Edgeworth? Him going mental over 'Psycholocks'? And Franziska is a more fun antagonist than Godot in court. Like, the back half is good too, but it drags on just a little too long for me.

Edgeworth clearing Larry's locks only for more to popup and him going "no gently caress this we're dealing with this in the courtroom" has got to be one of the best jokes in the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1684722869681442817?s=20

miles edgepurse

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh no! I need that! I don't want it, though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm still disappointed that every time I see AA merchandise it's always Phoenix or Edgeworth. Or Godot.

I've not seen any Gumshoes or Franziskas or, weirdly enough, Mayas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/PaulaPeroff/status/1684370845915811842?t=QTvLwFIgdc6-c-jZmZz0GA&s=19

Have some Maya art in return

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the vast majority of anime merch sales are from fujos. Which is why you don't really see the female sidekicks or Franziska even though she's really popular.

e. basically if/when we get DGS nendos whoever comes after Ryunosuke wins the shipping wars.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 28, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm still disappointed that every time I see AA merchandise it's always Phoenix or Edgeworth. Or Godot.

I've not seen any Gumshoes or Franziskas or, weirdly enough, Mayas.

mycot posted:

I think the vast majority of anime merch sales are from fujos. Which is why you don't really see the female sidekicks or Franziska even though she's really popular.

e. basically if/when we get DGS nendos whoever comes after Ryunosuke wins the shipping wars.

But yeah, I can totally see that. My GF is a big part of why I got into this franchise. Unless someone is talking about how funny it is, they're usually talking about how hot the guys are, in my experience.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually that extends to AA4-6, too I've seen Apollos and Gavins mostly. Maybe 1 or 2 Trudys. I don't think I've seen an Athena.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I mean in terms of the story Maya is underage for the trilogy and the games write her as basically Phoenix's little sister. There's basically no romantic tension at all. Edgeworth X Phoenix is very strong. From a character design point of view they also evoke Yaoi, apparently.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fangz posted:

I mean in terms of the story Maya is underage for the trilogy and the games write her as basically Phoenix's little sister. There's basically no romantic tension at all. Edgeworth X Phoenix is very strong. From a character design point of view they also evoke Yaoi, apparently.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, every major female character is explicitly underage except for Mia, who dies after the very first case in the series, and Morgan, who is a total milf and this fandom is full of cowards who can't handle that

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No support for evil milfs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Adrian Andrews had more screentime and she's a grown adult. Likewise our Goddess of Misfortune.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, every major female character is explicitly underage except for Mia, who dies after the very first case in the series, and Morgan, who is a total milf and this fandom is full of cowards who can't handle that

Athena is 18 in her first appearance.

Tesseraction posted:

Adrian Andrews had more screentime and she's a grown adult. Likewise our Goddess of Misfortune.

The original Disaster Lesbian

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AA1 has April May and Mia. Boobies everywhere and focused on in the most blatant way. People just don't care about it.

It's a bit like Metal Gear, now I think on it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The judge with the enormous rack was a nice change of pace

NikkolasKing posted:

AA1 has April May and Mia. Boobies everywhere and focused on in the most blatant way. People just don't care about it.

It's a bit like Metal Gear, now I think on it.

Honestly it makes the first game a little hard to sell to people, that and case 1-3

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

flavor.flv posted:

(Yes, I know she's not a recurring character, but she should be).

IIRC, Lotta is twenty-something? And Wendy Oldbag also exists.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 28, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also all the hottest women are introduced in the same dang case for some reason

(obviously referring to GAA2-3)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's very good cosplay, but I'm talking about major characters here, not one-case wonders

I guess you could make the argument for Wendy Oldbag, but then see my earlier post re: milfs

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Waffleman_ posted:

Athena is 18 in her first appearance.

Maya is also 18 in AA2 and then 19 in AA3, but I guess they're using a threshold of 21+? Though it's actually kinda weird realizing that Maya is older than Franziska.

Either way Phoenix is 7-8 years older than her, so I'm glad it's not a relationship that's commonly supported, outside of the Pearl jokes.

There was definitely a moment the day I realized I was the same age as Gumshoe (in AA1).

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The judge with the enormous rack was a nice change of pace

Honestly it makes the first game a little hard to sell to people, that and case 1-3

it's very hard to get people to buy products containing breasts

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

flavor.flv posted:

I guess you could make the argument for Wendy Oldbag, but then see my earlier post re: milfs
Morgan Fay and Wendy Oldbag have both lived vicariously through others, be they family or stars. Perhaps in each other they may finally find happiness of their own.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Morgan Fay and Wendy Oldbag have both lived vicariously through others, be they family or stars. Perhaps in each other they may finally find happiness of their own.

Personally I’d find happiness if they both found the chair

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

flavor.flv posted:

Wow, that's a weird way to spell-

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

(Yes, I know she's not a recurring character, but she should be).

:hfive:

(I love your avatar! It reminds me of my favorite game, Paradise Killer. :kiddo:)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bring back lana skye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Paradise Killer / AA genre crossover would be amazing.