Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

I haven't seen it, but are we talking about making people viscerally uncomfortable during otherwise unremarkable scenes of dialogue between two people?

Like, "Yes, he actually intended for you to dislike experiencing the film" is certainly something that could be true, but as a rule I'd chalk it up to making something poorly rather than being intentionally perverse

It's to put you in the headspace of Oppenheimer and to get more of a sense of his inner turmoil. I don't think it actually elevates things to the level of "viscerally uncomfortable", more that it puts you on edge. Which, given the film's subject matter, is precisely the point.

Sunk Dunk posted:

how was jack quaid in the movie?

Really good. He plays this guy, and basically with the exact energy seen in this photograph:

https://twitter.com/fiendformojitos/status/1683573304504844290?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotPerfect
Sep 29, 2021

poisonpill posted:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0726/1396681-sinead-o-connor/

Sinead O'Connor, the only one brave enough to stand up to the most powerful man on Earth L*rne M*chaels, has died

This is Adrien Brody erasure.

https://twitter.com/snlhostsintro/status/1446252923898327152

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

No Mods No Masters posted:

With barbenheimer behind us I suppose cade the tortured crossing is the next cinema event to look forward to. Until then, and after, a vast silence

Someone online did mention “Saw Patrol” which I guess I can respect

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Well, I guess I'd also like to see the hayao miyazaki film. Even if that brands me forever a Loser

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LanceHunter posted:

It's to put you in the headspace of Oppenheimer and to get more of a sense of his inner turmoil. I don't think it actually elevates things to the level of "viscerally uncomfortable", more that it puts you on edge. Which, given the film's subject matter, is precisely the point.

Really good. He plays this guy, and basically with the exact energy seen in this photograph:

i completely forgot feynman played bongos so i spent the entire movie going "who the gently caress is this bongo rear end in a top hat and why does he show up so much"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RLM's Jack Quaid was pretty good in it. There's not a single bad performance in the movie.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 27, 2023

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jose Oquendo posted:

RLM's Jack Quaid was pretty good in it. There's not a single bad performance the movie.

Yeah but the nepotism involving Jack Quaid is still pretty gross though. There’s a lot of talented young actors out there without the advantage of having a superstar like Rich Evans as a friend.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

didn't know who Sinead O'Connor was but lol at people melting down over the Pope picture being ripped up

at least we have come a long way since then, what with Sound of Freedom being a hit and Qanon leading the charge against pedophilia and child abuse, surely such perpetrators in Christian authorities are high among their concerns, right?

Anakin:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

didn't know who Sinead O'Connor was but lol at people melting down over the Pope picture being ripped up

I mean, you know with hindsight here that she was attempting to speak out about a pedophilia scandal in the church.

You might notice though that she doesn't actually say poo poo about that scandal, she just says "Fight the real enemy" and tears up a photo of a very popular (at the time) pope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGFj1WClin4

I don't know how a viewer could come away from that understanding what the gently caress she was trying to say other than she does not like the pope.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Welp, I watched the 1997 remake of 12 Angry Men. While not bad, it also had no reason to exist. While it changed a few minor bits of dialogue, and the race of a few characters, the most prominent replacing a white bigot for an ex-nation of islam black bigot, the film is essentially a Gus Van Sant's Psycho style shot for shot, line for line remake. It doesn't add anything, or remove anything, doesn't try to make it's mark in any way. The performances are more nuanced in the original, the dialogue delivered with more thoughtfulness. The only real major changes in dialogue were the monologues of the final holdout for the guilty verdict, and the bigots monologue, which is now somehow even more inflammatory than the white bigots from the 50's. The performances were all most good, fine at worst. George C. Scott is always great. Ossie Davis is great but criminally underused. Jack Lemmon is decent, although not a standout. On the low end you have Tony Danza, who once again is just playing Tony Danza and it feels like he's about to shout out Mona or Ayngela at any moment.

It's fine for a watch, but when the original exists, why bother.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jose Oquendo posted:

RLM's Jack Quaid was pretty good in it. There's not a single bad performance the movie.

so glad RLM alums are are getting work

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
So did anybody see the Top Hat Monkey Goes West teaser?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sunk Dunk posted:

im hoping hasbro makes a gritty/dark 'don't wake daddy' adaptation

god drat you for unlocking this core memory

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

god drat you for unlocking this core memory

I’m just imagining “Don’t Breathe” but hopefully with less jizz syringes…jizringes…

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

:brexit:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I Am Kenough

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My dad used to tape SNL to watch the good bits on sunday (and fast forward thru all the lovely time filler stuff) and I remember watching that Sinead thing and going whaaat the heck.

It was fairly big news at the time! It did not prevent my school from playing "nothing compares 2 U" as the final slow song at school dances, lotsa good memories there.

RIP to a real one

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Assepoester posted:

So you know what I'm excited for? That's right. Daniel Kaluuya's not done us wrong so far. https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1684252173331202060
Needs to be a shot for shot remake of Death To Smoochy.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Stink Billyums posted:

can't wait for the mattel cinematic universe

well I didn't have to wait long

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LanceHunter posted:

who does scott grimes play and does he sing

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

'ken aye

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

colonelwest posted:

Yeah but the nepotism involving Jack Quaid is still pretty gross though. There’s a lot of talented young actors out there without the advantage of having a superstar like Rich Evans as a friend.

Dick the Birthday Boy says hello

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, you know with hindsight here that she was attempting to speak out about a pedophilia scandal in the church.

You might notice though that she doesn't actually say poo poo about that scandal, she just says "Fight the real enemy" and tears up a photo of a very popular (at the time) pope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGFj1WClin4

I don't know how a viewer could come away from that understanding what the gently caress she was trying to say other than she does not like the pope.

She was playing to the wrong audience. She's Irish and at the time she did that there were many pedophile scandals being publicly exposed in the Irish Catholic Church. She also was put in a Magdalene Laundry when she was 14 until adulthood, those were church run work houses for 'fallen' women where they were abused, physically and sexually by the nuns. Some of the young women died and were buried in unmarked graves. Again when she did her SNL bit those church run Magdalene Laundries were still in operation in Ireland. Less than a year after that event the first mass grave was found which contained 155 bodies whose deaths were never registered.

I can understand not knowing at the time but it's shows the US media lack of professional interest that they didn't try to follow up why she was attacking the church.

The worst is the Irish media also attacked her for that skit when they should have known better, but the Church still had a lot of power then. Lot of the same people who attacked her for disparaging the church are now mourning her loss and saying she was right.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 27, 2023

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

If there’s a heaven, Sinead O’Conner is in it; and the untold number of church officials who commuted or facilitated or covered up abuse are not

Rip to a real one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm hearing that people are saying Secret Invasion turned out to be not good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
forget it, Gripweed. It’s Marvel

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's definitely the worst of these Disney+ Marvel shows, and that's saying something.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
It's pretty wild that Marvel got to the point that "Oscar Isaac is a mentally unwell dude who thinks he's Batman and may or may not be in communication with ancient egyptian gods" is a hard pass.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Secreted Constipation

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

It's pretty wild that Marvel got to the point that "Oscar Isaac is a mentally unwell dude who thinks he's Batman and may or may not be in communication with ancient egyptian gods" is a hard pass.

there’s another timeline where “high budget comic book science fiction alien invasion espionage thriller starring Sam Jackson” is still an appealing concept and not an immediate signifier of a gorillion intertwined creative bankruptcies

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

(Tiny bit of) Content!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTMwOkhdgxs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow ravenous has a great soundtrack. What's the best tunes on it? Wasn't there one that was supposed to be from like a music box or am I confusing it for sweet dreams by the eurythmics again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
American Girl makes perfect sense for adaptation. They could do an anthology series, each episode about a different girl in a different part of America history, and the different causes of death of all of her siblings.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

American Girl makes perfect sense for adaptation. They could do an anthology series, each episode about a different girl in a different part of America history, and the different causes of death of all of her siblings.

American Girl but it’s a backdoor to Mattel getting the rights to a Tom Petty biopic

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't believe I will be watching any of these movies based on toys for babies

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gripweed posted:

I'm hearing that people are saying Secret Invasion turned out to be not good.
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1683980564750016513https://twitter.com/ThatJakePC/status/1684331157993795584 DiscussingFilm
Episode 6 of ‘SECRET INVASION’ is the lowest rated MCU project ever.

13% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Jake Cole
Doing a super spy show where anyone can be an alien and the aliens are bad but also the aliens are displaced refugees BUT ALSO sometimes the xenophobes are right and in the end none of it matters bc you have to be able to see The Marvels without having seen this…money well spent

Disney spent $215 million to make a “six hour movie” about Biden’s immigration policy

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 27, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow ravenous has a great soundtrack. What's the best tunes on it? Wasn't there one that was supposed to be from like a music box or am I confusing it for sweet dreams by the eurythmics again

Hell yeah it does, too many good songs to pick one. Damon Albarn (from Blur and Gorillaz) worked on it

I dont recall a music box song but it's been a while

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Mattel owns Wishbone? Oh hell yeah they should absolutely make a movie or a new series

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
God libs were so ready to climb all over Bob Iger’s dick for “standing up” to DeSantis and not being Chapek

Nobody is more responsible for the media hellscape or the complete removal of any remaining veneer over Disney’s cynicism than him and I bet he thought he got out at the perfect time to get his flowers for Marvel/Star Wars/Remakes/etc and I love seeing his legacy turn to poo poo in his hands before everybody’s eyes

I’ve heard hypotheses that he anticipated bad returns/a bad outcome with the expensive parks projects and set Chapek up to take the investor wrath (obviously he couldn’t have predicted Covid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ok Comboomer posted:

God libs were so ready to climb all over Bob Iger’s dick for “standing up” to DeSantis and not being Chapek

Nobody is more responsible for the media hellscape or the complete removal of any remaining veneer over Disney’s cynicism than him and I bet he thought he got out at the perfect time to get his flowers for Marvel/Star Wars/Remakes/etc and I love seeing his legacy turn to poo poo in his hands before everybody’s eyes

I’ve heard hypotheses that he anticipated bad returns/a bad outcome with the expensive parks projects and set Chapek up to take the investor wrath (obviously he couldn’t have predicted Covid)

It owns that both Iger and Chapek are eating poo poo BUT ALSO Iger is making DeSantis eat poo poo too

I'd say force the entire state of Florida to eat poo poo but they might be ahead of me on that