Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ah yes, Juggernaut has never lost before so this is clearly the first time he's ever been stopped. That's such an odd complaint. He's been stopped LOTS of times.

Mary was working for Fisk in Zdarsky's Daredevil run, and they eventually genuinely became close and bonded then got married. Fisk was a wanted guy at the end by just about everyone, so he used his marriage to Mary to live on Krakoa. Mary will be in the upcoming Realm of X book.

I also like how they explained how that weird cast came together. Curse was cursing Xavier when that group was carrying her and it messed with the portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, there's no way every mutant who walked into a gate is actually dead. Our only evidence is that Charles thinks they are because he can't sense them. Can he sense people on, like, Arakko? Outside of the solar system? They've got some pretty far-out gates.

Juggernaut stuff. It's really lame that as soon as Cain officially joins the team it turns out the Juggernaut is, in fact, easily stoppable.

I am pretty sure they walked into the Astral Plane cause Mother Righteous took the Island.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rochallor posted:

Juggernaut stuff. It's really lame that as soon as Cain officially joins the team it turns out the Juggernaut is, in fact, easily stoppable.

He got his asskicked by weaker Nimrod back in the 80s. Like Nimrod's very first appearance was him nearly killing Jugs

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't mind Krakoa taking a big L but the (potentially fake) genocide was a bit much.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Okay, so re-reading this:

Xavier is in on some form of backup plan, right?

Like I know Chuck has often been depicted as the mutant equivalent of Ben Carson when it comes to anything but sheer telepathic power, but he isn't this stupid. Right? The genocidal robot faction promises not to kill people so long as we leave. And we'll leave through the gates that we literally just saw that they took control of.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the Mystique thing in particular feels like a terrible give away. Oh no, Mystique is resisting! And then she just so happens to fall out a window. Where her body is promptly claimed by the ocean and no one is looking for her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The issue is out. We don't need spoiler tags.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm sure my opinion is bound to change constantly as everything continues to simmer, but my initial reaction is that this is all actually rather great. There's quibbles about how this all went down exactly, and yeah it's annoying to see yet another big mutant L after the whole point of Krakoa was to ensure no more big mutant Ls...but I think I prefer this current, temporary status quo to the exasperating slow-build that we've been getting of the Council and X-Force and everyone else just faffing about idiotically for months and months on end. Better to just pop that zit for now and then hopefully they'll get something better when they come back.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah, I had misgiving about Iman writing Ms. Marvel before, and NOW, like, wow. That's a heavy event to follow up on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’ll be interesting to see the X-Men on the back foot again.

Looking forward to see Iceman and Nightcrawler getting solo books. What’s going to happen with X-Men, Immortal X-Men, and X-Men: Red? And having a team of Dark X-Men is much more appropriate now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

Yeah, I had misgiving about Iman writing Ms. Marvel before, and NOW, like, wow. That's a heavy event to follow up on.

The Ms. Marvel book is said to be lighter in tone and not heavily involved in this, according to an interview with Duggan. I think most of her being involved in the storyline is gonna be in X-Men.

X-Men is likely to follow around the people we saw escape and who aren't gonna be in other books. So it looks like it's gonna be Synch, Talon, Emma, Angel, Kate, Rasputin IV, and Kamala. And Kingpin! Then it's probably also gonna follow Firestar, Juggernaut, and Cyclops. All the others we saw escape we know are in other books.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 27, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my immediate thought after finishing the gala is I can't loving believe it goes straight from Charles saying he sent 250k mutants to their death, to a 2pg advertisement for Ms marvel lmao

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Caros posted:

Okay, so re-reading this:

Xavier is in on some form of backup plan, right?

Like I know Chuck has often been depicted as the mutant equivalent of Ben Carson when it comes to anything but sheer telepathic power, but he isn't this stupid. Right? The genocidal robot faction promises not to kill people so long as we leave. And we'll leave through the gates that we literally just saw that they took control of.

Charles is also terminally decorum-pilled, and in either Immortal or Red just recently had a meltdown about how he compromised way too much in going all in on mutant separatism. He loves humans, and besides calling Orchis' bluff isn't exactly a good outcome either. It ends with probably a significant percentage of humanity dead (with mutants to blame!), and probably a lot of mutants dying in the course of defeating Orchis.

Really, it's only Charles' freakout about the gates turning into meat grinders that make no sense. Statis specifically says that the ultimatum is that they'll kill a human the first time a returned mutant is found "on earth," implying the gates are pointed at another planet, the astral plane, Otherworld, etc.

site posted:

my immediate thought after finishing the gala is I can't loving believe it goes straight from Charles saying he sent 250k mutants to their death, to a 2pg advertisement for Ms marvel lmao

Just the absolute worst time to become a mutant, unbelievable. It's like finding out you have a cousin because said cousin was trying to scam a family member by impersonating another cousin you also didn't know. This actually happened.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this years party blows

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rochallor posted:

Really, it's only Charles' freakout about the gates turning into meat grinders that make no sense. Statis specifically says that the ultimatum is that they'll kill a human the first time a returned mutant is found "on earth," implying the gates are pointed at another planet, the astral plane, Otherworld, etc.

He thought they were sent to Arrako is freaked out that he could not find them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think I agree with a theory I saw somewhere else, where the recent Rogue & Gambit mini is going to turn out to be more important here than people might've guessed, particularly since I'm not sure a lot of people actually finished that mini.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rochallor posted:

Just the absolute worst time to become a mutant, unbelievable. It's like finding out you have a cousin because said cousin was trying to scam a family member by impersonating another cousin you also didn't know. This actually happened.

Oh I meant that it just completely killed any emotional weight the scene held. The reader isn't allowed to sit with the events that just occurred even for a moment before launching into "Catch Ms Marvel in her new series this fall!!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure how I feel about this, except generally negative.

Hopefully Emplate will get to do something cool in Dark X-Men, but I'm no longer feeling excited to see him again. Mostly I'm just sick of Nathaniel Essex.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

site posted:

Oh I meant that it just completely killed any emotional weight the scene held. The reader isn't allowed to sit with the events that just occurred even for a moment before launching into "Catch Ms Marvel in her new series this fall!!"

Oops I didn't realize you meant the actual ad, I was thinking just the whole circumstance resulting in her attending the Gala at all.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hopefully Emplate will get to do something cool in Dark X-Men, but I'm no longer feeling excited to see him again. Mostly I'm just sick of Nathaniel Essex.

I've been kind of uninterested in Stasis until now, but I did like the beat of him being irritated about the press release being sent out too early and then offing the human to make sure it's accurate.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I didn't think the Gala was like, torturously bad or something, but I do feel like it maybe suffers a bit from overhype in the sense that they're stacking the deck ridiculously high for the good guys to come back from but instead of resulting in a sense of anticipation and investment it's more like "pffblt."

I dunno, maybe it's just personal preference speaking, but Orchis pulling this off so effectively despite being pretty consistently portrayed as the kind of temperamental short sighted screwups that would be willing to murder tens thousands of humans just to get rid of mutantkind seems contrived to me. And if they're just going to go "Ahh, but see it wasn't really as bad as it seems" afterwards that feels a bit like cheaping out. Also Genesis and Arakko barely being mentioned is pretty weird.

Ultimately what really matters is whether or not the books that come out of this will be any good, but so far, but if this book was meant to build anticipation for 'em, then I don't think it did a good job

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Apocalypse is going to show up eventually and save the day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno, maybe it's just personal preference speaking, but Orchis pulling this off so effectively despite being pretty consistently portrayed as the kind of temperamental short sighted screwups that would be willing to murder tens thousands of humans just to get rid of mutantkind seems contrived to me. And if they're just going to go "Ahh, but see it wasn't really as bad as it seems" afterwards that feels a bit like cheaping out. Also Genesis and Arakko barely being mentioned is pretty weird.

i mean, i sort of agree, but tbf stasis did just get handed a book of future information from mother righteous

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I didn't think the Gala was like, torturously bad or something, but I do feel like it maybe suffers a bit from overhype in the sense that they're stacking the deck ridiculously high for the good guys to come back from but instead of resulting in a sense of anticipation and investment it's more like "pffblt."

Ultimately what really matters is whether or not the books that come out of this will be any good, but so far, but if this book was meant to build anticipation for 'em, then I don't think it did a good job

I agree with basically every point here.

It makes me sad that with all this poo poo going on, the only thing I really enjoyed in the X line is Deadpool almost killing Beast in Wolverine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm not sure where you'd get the impression of Orchis as short-sighted screwups from? They wiped out an entire X-Men squad in their literal first appearance and have gone on to succeed in...every single plan they've had ever since. I don't actually remember anything they've screwed up.

It kinda sucks that they seem to have won so "easily" against an entire island-full of powerhouses, but to be honest that's kind of been par for the course all throughout Krakoa anyway. Groups like Hordeculture have been marching right into Krakoa since the first month to casually murk a buncha people. Again, I don't actually like that this is the case, but it's hardly unique to this specific issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my terrible, probably wrong guess is that all the mutants got sent to limbo (because of the red background of the gates) which leads to maddy forming the dark x-men

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they're all going to come out of the gate as one giant mutant with a bazillion powers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that secret invasion mcu synergy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I think I agree with a theory I saw somewhere else, where the recent Rogue & Gambit mini is going to turn out to be more important here than people might've guessed, particularly since I'm not sure a lot of people actually finished that mini.

Well he's the biggest and best teleporter and if you need someone to bring back all the mutants, he's the guy to do it. Plus he would probably be able to locate them as well, which is also an issue.

So yeah, he and Apocalypse are gonna be two that help turn all this around, I think.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I am very tired of Mother Righteous

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I did finish it but what I really took away from it is that I'd really like to try Gambit's gumbo recipe but I don't know how dividing the ingredients for a smaller batch would affect the cook time.

Draxion posted:

I am very tired of Mother Righteous

Same. I thought she was neat at first but it's gotten real old real fast

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its the only real outcome from having four times the sinister

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

site posted:

I also appreciated that they had Jubilee on a cover who was definitely mega dead from this so it’s just this big thing of like. “Don’t worry, this won’t matter real soon!” Really took me out of it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl i was actually looking forward to a team with jubes, dazzler, and juggernaut with his little bowtie. i was robbed

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cannonball wasnt nigh invulnerable or blastin. :(

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Funny time to have a storyline called Fall Of X running with everything that's happening with Twitter right now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i liked the juxtaposition of this week's Wolverine ending with Wolverine telling Sage "I'm done with Krakoa poo poo, peace" and then him showing up at the end of Hellfire Gala, I like to assume he swam away from Krakoa, realized he forgot something, swam back and thought "i'm gone for 15 minutes and WHAT happens?"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not sure where you'd get the impression of Orchis as short-sighted screwups from? They wiped out an entire X-Men squad in their literal first appearance and have gone on to succeed in...every single plan they've had ever since. I don't actually remember anything they've screwed up.

It kinda sucks that they seem to have won so "easily" against an entire island-full of powerhouses, but to be honest that's kind of been par for the course all throughout Krakoa anyway. Groups like Hordeculture have been marching right into Krakoa since the first month to casually murk a buncha people. Again, I don't actually like that this is the case, but it's hardly unique to this specific issue.

One of things I've disliked the whole time of the Orchis as villains is that they're just way too hyper competent for a bunch of ex AIM/Hydra people.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I know we're all supposed to be decent and magnanimous and take the high road yadda yadda but I really have zero objections if this all warps up with the X-Men going full Magneto and murdering the absolute gently caress out of all these motherfuckers and stringing up their bloody, smouldering corpses from every lamppost in the world as a warning to any other fuckwits that get any ideas.

Juggs had a bow tie ffs! And they ruined his big day. Absolute arseholes.

Also, I feel real bad for Angelica, that's just a horrible situation, poor girl's gonna be treading on eggshells for loving ages. Still, it's really cool that she has such a prominent role going forward, assuming that Nimrod doesn't just waste her out of habit.

I still find the whole situation with Moira completely ridiculous, totally takes me out of the whole thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doug really should have let Mystique waste her

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
The Moira turn to villain feels like something that was decided after Hickman but from what I've gathered was part of his plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sentinel Red posted:

I know we're all supposed to be decent and magnanimous and take the high road yadda yadda but I really have zero objections if this all warps up with the X-Men going full Magneto and murdering the absolute gently caress out of all these motherfuckers and stringing up their bloody, smouldering corpses from every lamppost in the world as a warning to any other fuckwits that get any ideas.

Counterpoint: They teamed up with Sinister day one, they deserve everything that is happening to them.