Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or like, steam them a bit and then chuck them in a frying pan and fry them off to finish, it's like boiled but you also get brown bits which make it taste better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The agitating for trying to get rid of some of the Politically Exposed Person checks as a result of this is incredibly telling about those doing it see the potential for corruption and enriching themselves and their family as their rightful reward.

it doesnt really seem to have anything to do with PEP though? Are people agitating for that? Like farage was not a pep. Maybe a while ago he was, but not now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

All fine suggestions. I'd also submit for consideration You Suffer by Napalm Death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1IGjr2cT0

Kieth would never ask "why?" so this doesn't fit. Now thinking what I'd contribute to the Kieth album (Now...That's What I Call A Liar?)...Is The Cure's Killing An Arab more appropriate for Blair? (I know, I know, it's not about war in the Middle East). I think Suicide's Frankie Teardrop has pretty much the right atmosphere & vibe for Kieth's Britain; it makes you want to shriek & howl in pure anguish. Alternatively it's just Lou Reed's Berlin, the bleakest album I know

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
starmer wouldn't choose a song in case it might be the wrong one

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

starmer wouldn't choose a song in case it might be the wrong one

Insert joke about Kieth being a wrong one already here

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

he would obviously choose Three Lions then get super red and flustered when people ask i’m about the other uk countries

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Coeliac chat: Here’s a short list of breweries that do gluten-free beer you can order online:

Abbeydale Brewery
Brass Castle
Bellfield Brewery
Triple Point Brewing
Wold Top Brewery

Note that most of these do a few regular gluten-containing beers as well so do double-check the ones you order are gluten-free. The barley will still be printed in bold on the can even on a GF beer so don’t worry when you see it. There’s plenty of really nice GF beer available; just about the only thing I haven’t found is a satisfactory stout.

Plus Yay! Flapjacks do absolutely incredible cookies and flapjacks, better than most gluteny ones I’ve eaten 😋

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Starmer's song is 'I’m the Leader of the Gang' by Gary Glitter

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nuclear Spoon posted:

unfortunately i am very bad at cooking/feeding myself and rely a lot on ready meals (and i'm vegetarian so already not easy) so this has made my life way more difficult, as supermarket options seem extremely limited and/or expensive.
Also I’m probably in a minority in this thread but I loving hate cooking with a passion so I like to keep a small stock of Soylent-style “whole food” meal bars on hand for if I can’t be bothered to make something.

Feed is my current favourite though even their UK site isn’t translated properly.
YFood and Powder Matter are both very tasty runners-up, I’d happily eat either for the occasional lunch.

Huel’s savoury powder meals are actually pretty alright with a bit of added chicken and hot sauce or something IMO, though I personally found their bars loving disgusting (and their general branding is cringey but whatever)

E: For bread, the pro option is Juvela but it’s very hard to find in shops, and online you can only buy it in a big box with GF flour and pasta and such. I’m not clear on how you get a prescription for it. “Schär” brand bread is alright and is what I usually get, but kiss the environment goodbye since it comes in a plastic bag and a plastic tray for some reason?? Genius is pretty nice too.

Avoid Warburtons, it’s like sliced rubber.

TACD fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 27, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

Also I’m probably in a minority in this thread but I loving hate cooking with a passion so I like to keep a small stock of Soylent-style “whole food” meal bars on hand for if I can’t be bothered to make something.

Feed is my current favourite though even their UK site isn’t translated properly.
YFood and Powder Matter are both very tasty runners-up, I’d happily eat either for the occasional lunch.

Huel’s savoury powder meals are actually pretty alright with a bit of added chicken and hot sauce or something IMO, though I personally found their bars loving disgusting (and their general branding is cringey but whatever)

I'm with you - I loving hate cooking with a passion too. Ever since as a teenager I was supposed to come home from school & make a dinner for six out of half a rotten potato and a small can of baked beans. Never anything in the f*ing cupboards. Mum still goes on about what a wonderful cook one of my brother's was and that's because he was The Favoured One and he would present her with a list of ingredients costing £20 (in the 1970s! £148 now according to the BoE inflation calculator) AND what's more she'd buy them for him.

I don't go with those meal bars or powders though because I just munch my way through them (when I lived with my nan for a year as a porky 11 year old, she bought me a 3 weeks supply of Limmits bars - basically fortified biscuits - and I scoffed the lot in one sitting and still had my tea afterwards). When I'm behaving myself I use frozen veg & frozen chicken or beef mince, canned chickpeas etc. Otherwise it's all round to Home Bargains for a £1 Coronation Chicken sarnie.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 27, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

My dad had coeliac, and had a bread machine for his GF stuff which seemed to fill the need, but I don't think it was even close to wheat-based bread. He truly missed proper French baguettes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The biggest issue with gluten-free breads is that the grain mixtures love to hold on to a ton of water, so it's very hard to bake without the outside getting burned or the inside being doughy/undercooked. That's why all the gluten-free loaves you see in stores are really small. It's really better to just eat other stuff when you can. Pasta isn't so bad. You can get brown rice pasta or even lentil pasta (lots of protein). We still eat lentil pasta now even though my husband doesn't have IBS anymore.

You really do have to get used to cooking though, and always remembering to read ingredient lists. Best to minimize restaurant trips, especially if cross-contamination is enough to trigger it.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We check out locations in advance.
Two chains we found can cater properly - Pizza Express and the https://thelounges.co.uk/

Sometimes we've gone to ask somewhere and they say 'yes' if we ask if they can do gluten free, but then on closer questioning it comes down to them using the regular menu and for example leaving out the bun. So as someone else posted, could be cross contamination.

Another one which seems to be good is Bella Italia. Went there with family a couple of weeks ago, and they had a great assortment of dishes they could do gluten free for those who needed it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The encrochat thing was pretty interesting. Loads of people on it got busted for posting photos of their homes/holiday and boasting about stuff they did. I remember one of them was married to a police officer. For a while though it was like a closed criminal social network. Each phone was individually delivered in person in a drug deal type drop off.

Also, yes that hair is amazing.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
"I want it to look like a béret made out of puréed dogshit"

"say no more fam"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There are some extremely straightforward things you can do that take very little hands-on time and are leagues better (tastier, cheaper and healthier) than ready meals, please don’t just boil frozen veg when you could roast fresh stuff.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alternatively, boil frozen veg and eat ready meals and do whatever you need to get through the day, life is hard enough without feeling guilty about how you eat on top of everything else in this world

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Still, on the upside, hard working British Gas has made a billion pounds in profits in just 6 months. A British success story we can all be proud of.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And all it took was the blood sweat and tears of the people who froze to death in February or died of heatstroke last month.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

NotJustANumber99 posted:

it doesnt really seem to have anything to do with PEP though? Are people agitating for that? Like farage was not a pep. Maybe a while ago he was, but not now.

Grant Shapps seemed to be jumping on that, and I thought I saw others but things were moving fast and I may well have misinterpreted tbh.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Scientastic posted:

There are some extremely straightforward things you can do that take very little hands-on time and are leagues better (tastier, cheaper and healthier) than ready meals, please don’t just boil frozen veg when you could roast fresh stuff.

i absolutely understand what you're saying here and god i wish i didn't rely on ready meals as much as i do, but sometimes i am very tired and/or sad and i have a tiny kitchen i share with 3 other people and i just want to make sure i have enough calories without talking to people or feeling stressed about doing the washing up. i've lost count of the amount of times i brought fresh ingredients which i had to throw away because i just never got round to using them.

that said, i am currently trying to get out of a decade of bad habits reinforced by depression/anxiety and this is one of them, so i'm hoping i can use this diagnosis as a positive motivator.

thank you to everyone who has posted their own experiences and advice, it's been really interesting and appreciated!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TACD posted:

Alternatively, boil frozen veg and eat ready meals and do whatever you need to get through the day, life is hard enough without feeling guilty about how you eat on top of everything else in this world

Yeah, not trying to make anyone feel guilty, small improvements in diet can just make your life a bit less grey and depressing, which is pretty useful at the moment

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am also stuck in a house with too many people (five others!) and can confirm that it is incredibly hard to bring yourself to cook properly. The sides are always messy and need cleaning up first, someone will always be around and even if they aren't cooking as well they just completely gently caress with your head space, and you can't just leave things on the side while you eat and wash them later, especially if it's your own utensils that you don't want anyone else using. I'm a decent enough cook so I can throw together a stir fry or similar pretty easily, but it is genuinely tough, mentally, to cook properly in that environment.

I should be moving soon and the fact that I'll be able to cook properly again is giving me life.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It takes some initial willpower and effort and planning which I understand is very hard to do if you're feeling anxious or depressed but if you're able to dedicate like 1-2 hours each week you could give meal prepping a go. Just batch cook your meals for the week and freeze them and you'll have saved money and also not wasted any of the fresh ingredients used.

The main effort with this is deciding what you want to make, then buying and cooking it all in one go. If you're not bothered about eating the same thing every dinner then it's a no brainer tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The main student housing in Birmingham all had the only toilet in the house next to the kitchen and let me tell you that nothing puts you off making food like someone taking a dump right next to the food prep area.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The healthiest person I know eats the most boring poo poo I've ever seen

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i don't like ready meals b/c i'd need to eat two for a decent dinner :btroll:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Even if I were super depressed and lethargic I'd still reckon an InstantPot or a simple slow cooker is the way to go. You can just chuck in your ingredients at like 10am, let it do its business all day, then you come in at dinner time and the kitchen smells delicious and you help yourself to a bowl of stew or curry or dhal or whatever :yum: . Low effort, low cleanup, minimises interactions with housemates at crowded dinnertime

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The only thing that stops me eating all the food in the house is that almost all of it needs cooking first. Meal replacement bars would be a disaster for me!

Slow cookers are great for depression, absolutely. Put it all in there after maybe five minutes of chopping and take it out again later and eat it, simple.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Same problem, the effort of cooking is a great way to keep from turning spherical.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And if you're still up for cooking later you can make suet dumplings, which will turn you spherical.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

And if you're still up for cooking later you can make suet dumplings, which will turn you spherical.

And what if you don't live in a Charles Dickens novel?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could probably put like, some avocado and herbs in there if you want to. It's just slop with shredded fat in it.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Failed Imagineer posted:

Bad news my friend. We live in the UK, we're all in a Charles Dickens novel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also that, them's good calories. Also I literally grew up eating stew with suet dumplings, and liver and onions (also top tier grub) so I'm basically oliver twist.

Love a good dumpling when you take the pot out of the cooker and put it in the oven to finish and crisp up the top of the dumpling and it crackles when you break it open, delicious.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

mrpwase posted:

The only thing that stops me eating all the food in the house is that almost all of it needs cooking first. Meal replacement bars would be a disaster for me!

I think you're underestimating how loving foul they are. Particularly Huel ones. Ages ago I spent like £35 on 2 boxes, ate one, then binned the rest. I wasn't about to inflict them on my friends.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Otoh if you do have special dietary requirements there are places that do ready meals in controlled clean room environments and do an immunochromatographic assay on them, which is a lot more than you can do at home.

And ready meals in general are a lot better than the "and what's the deal with those tee vee dinners?" days.

And there never really was a time when we did rugged individualist food prep like Jamie Oliver pretends. There was a short period where suburban middle class housewives were shamed into that, but mostly to sell kitchen devices. Before that there was a lot more communal cooking and inn food and street sausage and botulism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still enjoy the notion of pottage, the stew of theseus.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Food chat. I’m cooking with this today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seriously? Dumplings are lovely, and the easiest thing to make.