Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Horror thread I need your help

I want to start my first feature film this year. I think it’s time.

But I don’t know which to do. Alienated was what I was going to do but I’m worried it’s too expensive or could be too expensive even with being creative.

My other script is an action flick about a kid taking a drivers test that gets attacked by basically an evil, STD dying James Bond, who turns out to be his grandfather. Evil Bond wants the kid to the next big spy Bc of his bloodline and the kid is like nah. So evil Bond just goes apeshit and uses gadgets and all kinds of stuff to hunt him down.

There’s car chases, violent James Bond gadget deaths and bad puns ect.

But it’s also seems maybe big.

But the real issue is the ufo disclosure is happening rn and a lot of it is what I have in my script so it might be worth striking. But it is kind of my passion project idea and I’m afraid to ruin it.

So help me goons what should I do

re: the ufo, there's also always going to be external circumstances: by the time the film comes out the UFO conversation may have (probably will have) moved on. maybe the script just needs edits, rather than a full pass. also, it sounds like the Bond film would require significantly more funding (car chases and gadgets etc) - which you might be able to leverage from a succesful first feature.

honestly life is short: i think going with what you want to make - the passion project - is the way to go. because you actually want to make it, you'll be driven to. there's no guarantees you won't have soured on your own original ideas two decades from now, either. plus, you can always revisit the ideas and themes in a later script if you feel like you need to swing at them again.

i dunno. i think it's also worth considering which parts of your craft you are most comfortable in, and which you would be honing during the development of the first feature. food for thought!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s giving me pause is the complete failure the short alienated was. It failed every festival it went too both in getting in and reception…but I’ve also shown it to other people who dug it and such. And that’s cool. But a lot of people I showed it too responded with a “oh neat” and moved on lol. Which is just the worst reception something could get in my opinion. Didn’t like it or hate it. Just meh.

And a lot of amazing stuff came out of that short, and I am proud of it despite of all that.

But it still hurts because so much of that thing meant a lot to me. And I just don’t want to gently caress it up again lol

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

CelticPredator posted:

What’s giving me pause is the complete failure the short alienated was. It failed every festival it went too both in getting in and reception…but I’ve also shown it to other people who dug it and such. And that’s cool. But a lot of people I showed it too responded with a “oh neat” and moved on lol. Which is just the worst reception something could get in my opinion. Didn’t like it or hate it. Just meh.

And a lot of amazing stuff came out of that short, and I am proud of it despite of all that.

But it still hurts because so much of that thing meant a lot to me. And I just don’t want to gently caress it up again lol

When I'm choosing between two writing projects, I spend some time thinking both of them through, beat by beat. Usually, I find myself thinking of one of them in just those terms: beats - this happens, then this, wouldn't it be cool if, etc. The other, I'll instinctively start to convert into prose, and that's the one I actually want to write.

So in your case I'd ask: do you think of one of the projects in terms of ideas, and one in terms of shots? If one of them seems like a 'better idea' but you can see the other one in your head, the second one is where the passion is, and when you're not being paid upfront, god knows the passion is what pulls you to the end.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That Saw picture looks like a 90s video game ad

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Opopanax posted:

That Saw picture looks like a 90s video game ad

The franchise already has its ups and downs but that guy on the poster can’t even see Saw.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

That's just I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74jfnTczdG4

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Saw X now has a poster.

https://twitter.com/Saw/status/1684324311673483265

I'm worryingly excited for this sure-to-be very dumb movie.

Never once doubted this would be amazing. I’m undefeated :woop: Barbenheimer was perfect, Barbie’s my fav film of the year, I called those shots perfectly 370 days ago and I’ve been calling for months that Saw X or Exorcist Believer will be my horror film of the year :getin:

Love that they’re back to the original poster style theme too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Medullah posted:

Halloween Ends was not a movie I enjoyed but I had to give them credit for swinging for the fences. Of course then they messed it up by tacking on the final battle. I think I would have actually given it a positive review if it just had the balls to stick with the risky premise.

The problem with Kills and Ends is that Kills felt like a climax and Ends felt like the middle movie. Reverse them so you have Michael being apparently dead until Corey finds him and resurrects the evil. Then bring in the Survivors Club to go hunt Michael down, think they've got him but get wasted, and have the end of Ends as the third act.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Crazy how we from thinking Halloween 2018 was a fantastic reboot that could have served as a great conclusion to the series if they did just that.

Instead we got two sequels the last of which was a cinematic wet fart of an end.

This seems to be a common trend with new trilogies of beloved franchises.

So what is the ranking of the Halloween movies in light of the new trilogy?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween 3
Halloween 2018
Halloween 78
Halloween kills
Rob zombies Halloween 2
Half of robbzombies Halloween

The rest of that poo poo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

Halloween 3
Halloween 2018
Halloween 78

I hope all your movies go direct to video. :reject:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean me too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I personally think Kills and Ends get Halloween more than most do. It was never really about Michael Myers. He was always the boogeyman. Kills and Ends are just overtly about how people create the boogeyman through fear, anger, and trauma. '18 is about that too, it just also has Laurie having a big bad rear end confrontation with Michael. But like the entire core story of that movie is about how Laurie has spent her entire life obsessed Michael was gonna return and poisoning her relationships and it turns out Micheal couldn't give a poo poo about her. Kills and Ends kept taking that idea further and did it with a lot of little details (I love how Laurie's granddaughter becomes a nurse since there's a constant theme in the franchise of caretakers and healthcare workers in direct contrast to the rest).

I've only seen Kills twice and Ends once but I'm very much looking forward to a revisit this October.

I'm also fully onboard with the new Exorcist and gonna use it as an excuse to rewatch the series and pretend they're all canon because the show rocked.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Horror thread I need your help

I want to start my first feature film this year. I think it’s time.

But I don’t know which to do. Alienated was what I was going to do but I’m worried it’s too expensive or could be too expensive even with being creative.

My other script is an action flick about a kid taking a drivers test that gets attacked by basically an evil, STD dying James Bond, who turns out to be his grandfather. Evil Bond wants the kid to the next big spy Bc of his bloodline and the kid is like nah. So evil Bond just goes apeshit and uses gadgets and all kinds of stuff to hunt him down.

There’s car chases, violent James Bond gadget deaths and bad puns ect.

But it’s also seems maybe big.

But the real issue is the ufo disclosure is happening rn and a lot of it is what I have in my script so it might be worth striking. But it is kind of my passion project idea and I’m afraid to ruin it.

So help me goons what should I do

Unsolicited advice so 100% feel free to ignore, but your action flick idea might be more manageable on an independent budget / as a first feature if you drop the bloodline element and switch up the evil Bond's motivation; he's in denial about his own mortality, and he's desperate to prove to his superiors (and himself) that he's not obsolete. So he's trying to find and assassinate his younger 'replacements' in the city's bars and poker dens (a Suave Bond, a Brooding Bond, a Female Bond, etc), and he hijacks the kid's driving test to that end.

Basically, if you make it more of a Collateral-spoofing two-hander and keep the protagonist and antagonist together for most of the movie, I think you can still get across the satire and build tension while focusing on the dialogue and relationship between the two characters in controlled environments (and then have bursts of violence or action in the interior locations with Old Bond fighting various Young Bonds, the kid turning on Old Bond, etc.)

Whereas right now, like you say, even with a lot of indie directorial creativity it feels like the pitch is contingent on car chases, props, and expensive outdoor action, which could be incredibly tough.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Carpet posted:

Attended a preview screening* of Talk To Me on Monday and it lives up to the hype. Very well directed and shot, with some crunchy gore and Foley. Stuck the ending as well, though I was worried for a few minutes that it wouldn't. Good acting from the leads too.

*It was a Cineworld 'Secret Screening' so there were plenty of walkouts when the title card came up, and throughout the movie.

good to hear

If anything I'm surprised A24 picked something this seemingly genre straightforward

granted I'm familiar with the filmmakers work since they were youtubers of all things

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Crazy how we from thinking Halloween 2018 was a fantastic reboot that could have served as a great conclusion to the series if they did just that.

Instead we got two sequels the last of which was a cinematic wet fart of an end.

It won't end, we are getting H50 in 2028 let's be real.

I did NOT think that, don't put that evil on me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

This seems to be a common trend with new trilogies of beloved franchises.

Rankings, you say!?

Halloween (78)
Zombie’s Halloween 2
Halloween (18)
H20
Halloween 6
Halloween 2
Halloween Kills
Halloween 4
Zombie’s Halloween
Halloween Ends
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween 5

I’m sure I’m in the minority for ranking 6 relatively high, but I genuinely like it better than everything below it. It’s a weird mess, but I’ll take weird and messy over dull like most of the others.

Also 3 is so different from the others it doesn’t seem meaningful to rank it, but if I did it’d probably be third.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Goddamn it now I have to watch this

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Nothing precludes you from remaking something down the line if it means a lot to you. Lucky Mckee did it with All Cheerleaders Die which was one of his early shorts. Not the same but Malum was also a remake in pretty short order. My unsolicited advice is make what you love, now and always. People know when you haven't.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

NikkolasKing posted:

Halloween
Halloween 3
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Halloween (2018)
Halloween 2
Halloween Ends
-
-
-
-
Halloween H20
Halloween Kills
-
-
-
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Halloween 6
Halloween 8
-
-
-
-
-
-
Rob Zombie poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Halloween(1978)
Halloween 2(1981)
Zombie's Halloween 2
Halloween 3
Halloween 4
Halloween(2018)
Zombie's Halloween
Halloween 5
H20
Halloween Ends
Halloween Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween Kills

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Halloween 2018
Halloween
Halloween 4

I don’t care

RZ Halloween 2

I realized I don’t really care about this franchise. I watched Halloween after a lot of the things it influenced and it didn’t make a big impact on me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite part of Halloween 2018 is how they just dumped the "Lauri is Michael's sister" poo poo with a single line "Oh no that's just something someone made up"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween(1978)
Halloween 2(1981)
Zombie's Halloween 2
Halloween 3
Halloween 4
Halloween(2018)
Zombie's Halloween
Halloween 5
H20
Halloween Ends
Halloween Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween Kills

You don't like H20? Or do you like Halloween 5 more than most? Just curious as I haven't seen it in a long time.

And hey, nice to see some love for 4..I'll always have a special fondness for Halloween 4 cuz of Crazy Loomis and Jamie Lloyd.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

You don't like H20? Or do you like Halloween 5 more than most? Just curious as I haven't seen it in a long time.

And hey, nice to see some love for 4..I'll always have a special fondness for Halloween 4 cuz of Crazy Loomis and Jamie Lloyd.

It's definitely a bit of both, I don't particularly like H20(especially these days, I think it's aged poorly) and I also like Halloween 5 more than most. And I think you hit on one of the reasons why, which is that it's hard to completely separate it from Halloween 4. I really like 4 and over the years I've typically watched 4 and 5 together because that's how they aired on television. They're pretty much one continuous story, but I definitely have to acknowledge that 5 is clearly not as good as 4.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Nothing precludes you from remaking something down the line if it means a lot to you. Lucky Mckee did it with All Cheerleaders Die which was one of his early shorts. Not the same but Malum was also a remake in pretty short order. My unsolicited advice is make what you love, now and always. People know when you haven't.

Yeah, CelticPredator, this is my vote. Realistically you have the passion and the followthrough to have made stuff already, as an adult. You’ve gotten it screened, you’ve made industry contacts (even in a casual way), all of which can’t be said for a lot of people

So I believe even if you make a feature and don’t quite feel like you nailed it, you’d have no problem taking a second run at it once you’ve earned a little goodwill, or matured a bit as a filmmaker, or whatever else time will do to your abilities

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely a bit of both, I don't particularly like H20(especially these days, I think it's aged poorly) and I also like Halloween 5 more than most. And I think you hit on one of the reasons why, which is that it's hard to completely separate it from Halloween 4. I really like 4 and over the years I've typically watched 4 and 5 together because that's how they aired on television. They're pretty much one continuous story, but I definitely have to acknowledge that 5 is clearly not as good as 4.

I totally get that. I don't particularly like 5 but it continues Jamie's story/the story of 4 so I also probably like it more than most.

It's also why as soon as I saw her dying at the start of 6 I was like "nope." I watched a bit more after that but never finished it when I was on a Halloween binge years ago. It didn't get any better from all I've seen and heard.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

david_a posted:

Halloween 2018
Halloween
Halloween 4

I don’t care

RZ Halloween 2

I realized I don’t really care about this franchise. I watched Halloween after a lot of the things it influenced and it didn’t make a big impact on me.

imo the original is great from a film appreciation standpoint (early John Carpenter done on a micro budget), and that's what has made it age well. But yeah, everything it did has been done better in the 40 years since.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

shoeberto posted:

imo the original is great from a film appreciation standpoint (early John Carpenter done on a micro budget), and that's what has made it age well. But yeah, everything it did has been done better in the 40 years since.

Yep as someone who is tepid on slashers anyway but especially came to the original Halloween late I have never appreciated the franchise on anything more than an academic level. Halloween 3 is the only one I genuinely like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ok seems to be leaning towards alienated the moopie.

I did stupidly have the entire last act take place under the denver airport with lots of monsters and action. So idk lol. But it was just too fun to do.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

Rankings, you say!?

Ends
Rob Zombie's II
Rob Zombie's I
Kills
H:20
Resurrection

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I rewatch the original Halloween every year, it captures the fall vibe in a way only a few other horror movies can. I also love Halloween 3 mostly for Tom Atkins, so that gets rewatched quite a bit. And Halloween 2018 scratches that same fall vibe and I just think it's a fun movie.

The rest of the franchise is just kind of background noise for me. When AMC used to do those all-day Halloween marathons I'd put them on and do chores around the house, it was a fun way to spend a fall day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just impossible for me to get into the mindset of someone who saw Halloween in their 20s or 30s after having seen a bunch of other horror/slashers. For me it was one of the very first real horror movies I ever saw(not counting stuff like Ghostbusters or Ernest Scared Stupid) and the images in that movie don't ever lose their power as pure nightmare fuel. The climax above all, where Michael is just methodically hunting Laurie down and she's going house to house screaming for help, then the closet scene etc. etc. Those scenes most definitely featured in my nightmares as a kid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw Halloween when I was like 12 but even then it wasn’t even my favorite John Carpenter flick. It’s good but if I’m reaching for a John Carpenter it’s probably not even in the top 5 to be honest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t plan it but today marks two years since we did the alienated short.

Crazy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kills and Ends both had interesting stuff to say, but just kind of mumbled it and forgot to finish what they were saying in several cases

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I need to run the Halloween series, at least the ones I haven't seen, because I'm shamefully missing a lot of ground. Maybe it would be a good October project.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Original Halloween and Halloween 3 are my only Halloweens I really rate, with 2018 being high too. OG is one of my favorite movies period and 3 I respect for being really interesting with a killer ending. 2018 is cool and I like Kills more than most but I don't really have strong feelings for them, just that I enjoyed them enough.

I Do Not Care For Rob Zombie Halloweens and I thought Ends was a massive miss but other than that, shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Personally, I'm a Halloween 6 guy.